Ritchey Grip Shifter for Shimano 9S : What is wrong?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Ritchey Grip Shifter for Shimano 9S : What is wrong?

Hello Guys,
    This is my first posting

Without so much knowledge, I got a set of Ritchey 2x9 (Sachs) Grip Shifter.
    It is said that this is for Shimano 9 speed.

After spending many hours adjusting my RDer (RD-M960), it seems that the inner wire is pulled too much (lengthwise), so by the time I twist the shifter to 8th (at indicater), RD is already at 9th.
    When I twist to 9th, then it is almost touching the rear end...

These shifters are not very common in Japan, but at a weight of 143 incl wire, it is rather attractive for a WW...

I can see some people are using same shifters and possibly Sachs Quarz has a similar structure(?).
    Could any of you guys with more knowledge help me with this?

I have thought of taking it apart (because I wanted to change the wire...), but I didn't because of the springs and some lubes inside.

Thanks,
    Ken from Japan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I dont think there is anything wrong with the shifters. They were not made for shimano 9 speed. The shifters work with the same spacing as 8 speed cassettes. The Ritchey 2x9 was an early 9 speed so Ritchey simply added a 9th cog and kept the same old 8 speed spacing.

If you want great performing shifters try Plasma shifters. They are about 152g a set. I got mine on ebay for about $10 USD.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    @Bender

Thanks for your information.
    Incidentally I have CS-M950 8speed. So I may as well try this.

Presumably Ritchey made their own rear hub to fit wider 9S cassette than Shimano...
    Reminds me of when Shimano did from 7s to 8s cassette.

About the shifter, I got them from Ebay and the seller has specifically stated "Compatible with all Shimano and SRAM front derailleurs, and all Shimano 9 speed and SRAM non-ESP rear derailluers". So I am rather disappointed about this purchase...

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    The seller was wrong.

They had some of the Ritchey rear cogs that made up the 9th position on www.nashbar.com - but I think they're all gone by now. I'd look at E-Bay and see if any pop up there.

The rear hub wasn't special. Any 8/9 speed hub worked with the setup.

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Yes the 9th speed was simply an addon to an 8 speed cassette. I would contact the seller. You can also dispute it on paypal if needed.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Ritchey's 2x9 drivetrain kit consisted of the special 33T cog that spaced in behind a standard shimano 11-30 8 speed cassette, a 29T chainring, and the shifters... letting you build up a 29/42 (or 44) combo with an 11-33 range at a time when shimano's widest 8speed cogset was 12-32. It was an uber racer setup to eliminate redundant gears from the drivetrain. On the ritchey setup, you had 17 of 18 gear combinations that were unique, and with shimano I believe its 15 of 24 gear combos are unique.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitakeng
    About the shifter, I got them from Ebay and the seller has specifically stated "Compatible with all Shimano and SRAM front derailleurs, and all Shimano 9 speed and SRAM non-ESP rear derailluers". So I am rather disappointed about this purchase...
    The seller was correct in what he stated... they ARE compatible with all shimano and SRAM front derailleurs and all shimano 9speed and SRAM non-ESP rear derailleurs. Its the cassettes however that are important to this equation and he made no claims (that you've revealed) about them.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    @Bender + DeeEight

Many thanks for valuable info.

I can see the logic that the seller was collect in that sense...
    At the same time, I do feel it is rather unkind of the seller not to mention this kind of things, as most of people would assume that Shimano 9 speed compatible means for RD and CS...

My crank set is Middleburn RS1 Ltd edition (38-27T @494g) very nice looking don't you think?
    So if the setting of Ritchey shifter with CS-M950 (11-30T @222g) turns out to be fine, it may as well be very nice for a 2x8 setup functionwise and LIGHT

If the setting does not go well, then...

mtbr member

lockring

the 2x9 kit also came with a special cassette lockring that had longer threads on it to fit the 8sp spaced 8sp cassette and that 9th cog, and still have enough bite on the freehub inner threads. was a great setup in its day. I had one that worked flawlessly for years, then the 9sp shifter kinda went south. I got a Plasma 9sp right shifter and used a standard 9sp 11-34 cassette and 9sp chain with the old ritchey 28/42 front rings and shifter. still works to this day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    @lukeduke

I have tried 8sp cassette, but that also did not work out...

As Bender has also suggested, I will look for a Plasma or Sachs Quarz shifters as replacement.

-bustin punks

Another data point...

I have those same shifters, and I use the rear without any problems on my Shimano 1x9 commuter setup without any issues on a commuter bike. I set them up just like any other 9 speed shifter. Using an older XT long cage rear derailleur and whatever old crappy Shimano 9-speed cassette I had lying around.

just my $.02

FCTi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti
    I have those same shifters, and I use the rear without any problems on my Shimano 1x9 commuter setup without any issues on a commuter bike. I set them up just like any other 9 speed shifter. Using an older XT long cage rear derailleur and whatever old crappy Shimano 9-speed cassette I had lying around.

just my $.02

FCTi
    You may have Sachs shifters working on a normal 9speed cassette. The Ritchey shifters made by Sachs however; are a completely different story.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    @Bender

Just out of my curiosity.

There are some bikes on light-bikes.com who are using Ritchey 2x9 shifters on Shimano/Sram 9Speed cassette.

Do you have any idea as to how are they coping with this problem?
    Suppose they are not listing their bikes just for the sake of the weight, not the fuction??

Also if any of you have some photos of original Ritchey 2x9 set up, PLEASE kindly post!!??

SUBLIM8er
    @Bender + DeeEight

Many thanks for valuable info.

I can see the logic that the seller was collect in that sense...
    At the same time, I do feel it is rather unkind of the seller not to mention this kind of things, as most of people would assume that Shimano 9 speed compatible means for RD and CS...

My crank set is Middleburn RS1 Ltd edition (38-27T @494g) very nice looking don't you think?
    So if the setting of Ritchey shifter with CS-M950 (11-30T @222g) turns out to be fine, it may as well be very nice for a 2x8 setup functionwise and LIGHT

If the setting does not go well, then...
    That crankset looks awesome. But I don't see any ramps or pins on the rings. How does it shift?
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    @Bender

Just out of my curiosity.

There are some bikes on light-bikes.com who are using Ritchey 2x9 shifters on Shimano/Sram 9Speed cassette.

Do you have any idea as to how are they coping with this problem?
    Suppose they are not listing their bikes just for the sake of the weight, not the fuction??

Also if any of you have some photos of original Ritchey 2x9 set up, PLEASE kindly post!!??
    I cant find proof that anyone has gotten a modern 9speed cassette to work with the Ritchey shifters. The only bike with the Ritchey shifters is this one http://light-bikes.com/bikegallery/B...ing.asp?id=954 It says Forte cassette but that could be 7 or 8 speed no problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have had these shifters running in a 2x9 setup for about 3 years now, they worked great, until...
    I got a wild hair and decided to replace the front cable, and now I cant get it back together. Anyone got a clue on how to get it back together without having Tom himself come by and look at it?

Members who have read this thread: 0