Ritchey frame - model and year?- Mtbr.com
    Battle Axe

Ritchey frame - model and year?

I am trying to determine the model and year of this Ritchey frame. The frame and fork are fillet brazed and the frame has the serial number 9B67, so I think it's a Timber Comp. The serial numbers on oldmountainbikes.com seem to be sequential and if I go strictly by those numbers it appears to be a 1985 frame. But it has cantilever bosses on the seatstays. Every early catalog picture shows a chainstay-mounted roller cam or U-brake. Could it be a custom order frame with cantilever bosses?

The frame has the extra braze-on option (front and rear racks, third water bottle under downtube, etc). On the top of the seat tube is the red Ritchey 4130 sticker. Also, the stem looks different than other Ritchey stems I have seen - it has the internal cable routing, but doesn't have a hanger on the underside. The stem is TIG welded and says it's made in Taiwan on the quill.

It looks like the frame was maybe repainted at some point - there is a sticker on the left chainstay that says "Painted by Bicycle Specialties."

Anyone know the model and year? Thanks

<center>

<br>

<br>

<br>

</center>

mtbr member
    Pretty color. That should be a Timber Wolf. Same frame as the Timber Comp, but with cantis instead of roller cam bosses. They came with a slightly heavier build than the TC.

Nice pick up for sure and youre probably about right on the year. The stem is not a Ritchey stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yoeddy
    ... a 1985 frame. But it has cantilever bosses on the seatstays. Every early catalog picture shows a chainstay-mounted roller cam or U-brake. Could it be a custom order frame with cantilever bosses? ...
    U-Brakes came out later (1987) , as is listed here: http://www.firstflightbikes.com/shimano.htm

(:

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cdeger
    U-Brakes came out later (1987) , as is listed here: http://www.firstflightbikes.com/shimano.htm

(:

You could order the frames from Tom in 85, with custom bosses, I know, I ordered my Timbercomp with rollers front and rear, as well as a 3 tone green custom fade pait jov=b, and matching painted pump I am still riding it too

Bird watcher
    I always wondered ho Tom could be so Logical and put those ugly rack type mounts on such a pretty frame. You would think he could come up with a better looking braze on. Nice frame. Stem looks like an old Trek stem.

mtbr member
    Definetly a early "B" frame. You could order it with cantis / braze on's and any color. Nice score Are you going to build it up with period parts? Shimano Deer Head?
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Tripps
    You could order the frames from Tom in 85, with custom bosses, I know, I ordered my Timbercomp with rollers front and rear, as well as a 3 tone green custom fade pait jov=b, and matching painted pump I am still riding it too

yeah, this ones got some custom stuff going on; Ive never seen one with the water bottle bosses on the underside of the downtube. There were three models that used the "B" frame: Commando, Timber Comp and the Timber Wolf. The Commando had all the braze-on options, the Comp had roller cams, and the Timber Wolf had cantis. Looks like those rack braze-ons are a custom request unless this used to be a Commando before it got repainted. No way to differentiate these by the serial numbers.

Here's the 85 catalog. Note the brake differences between the Comp and the Wolf:

http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/cata...5/inside1.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    yeah, this ones got some custom stuff going on; Ive never seen one with the water bottle bosses on the underside of the downtube. There were three models that used the "B" frame: Commando, Timber Comp and the Timber Wolf. The Commando had all the braze-on options, the Comp had roller cams, and the Timber Wolf had cantis. Looks like those rack braze-ons are a custom request unless this used to be a Commando before it got repainted. No way to differentiate these by the serial numbers.

Here's the 85 catalog. Note the brake differences between the Comp and the Wolf:

http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/cata...5/inside1.html
    I thought it may be a Commando also but didnt see the carry strap mounts. But then again I dont know that all Commandos had these.
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by ckevlar
    I always wondered ho Tom could be so Logical and put those ugly rack type mounts on such a pretty frame. You would think he could come up with a better looking braze on. Nice frame. Stem looks like an old Trek stem.
    totally. his rack braze on's are the second ugliest i've ever seen. the first being the one's on the early Schwinn High Sierra's and probably a few other of their models.

Battle Axe
    Thanks for the input, everyone. It must be a Timber Wolf or repainted Commando. Seems like a crying shame to repaint a Commando, but who knows. As far as the braze-ons go, I saw that in later years Ritchey offered the "Commando braze-on package" on models like the Timber Comp (see https://oldmountainbikes.com/catalog...hey1988_11.jpg). Maybe someone requested the Commando braze-ons back when they were ordering this.

I think the painted non-Ritchey stem is pretty good evidence too that the frame was repainted, along with that sticker I mentioned. I really like this shade of green. Unfortunately someone before me wrapped the right chainstay with tape and removed it, taking off a lot of paint in the process.

kb11 - I am thinking of building it up at least partially period-correct, but I like the M730 components better than Deer Head, so I might go that route

Battle Axe
    Did early B frames use a press-fit bottom bracket? This frame does. The 1985 specs list a Shimano 600 EX Sealed BB, but didn't those have threaded cups?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoeddy
    Did early B frames use a press-fit bottom bracket? This frame does. The 1985 specs list a Shimano 600 EX Sealed BB, but didn't those have threaded cups?

The earlier B frames (84-85) did have the press-fit BBs, not sure about the later ones. kb-11 has a few later Timber Comps I think and should be able to answer that.

mtbr member
    The earlier B frames (84-85) did have the press-fit BBs, not sure about the later ones. kb-11 has a few later Timber Comps I think and should be able to answer that.
    I think by '87 they all used threaded bottom brackets

mtbr member
    I love the color of that one.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    I have an '86 Timber Comp and it has a threaded bottom bracket, so it goes at least this far back.
    My Wanted List:

1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)

Members who have read this thread: 0