Ritchey compact road crank NO-GO- Mtbr.com
    Category Winner

Ritchey compact road crank NO-GO

Ah poop. The Ritchey crank was a no go. Even with the 118.5 Ultegra BB I would only have 3.5mm of clearance on the chainstays. That just doesn't seem like enough to make me feel warm and cozy. So the BB goes back and maybe I'll end up with compact cranks on my road bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

Rollin' a fatty
    If you decide not to use them let me know, I'm considering a compact set for my son's roadie.

What are the crank lenght and ring sizes? The kid is currently riding 170 cranks and 39/53 rings.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    If you decide not to use them let me know, I'm considering a compact set for my son's roadie.

What are the crank lenght and ring sizes? The kid is currently riding 170 cranks and 39/53 rings.
    Aw, the crux of the situation. They are 175mm, and that's why I have another question on the board trying to figure out why long road cranks are bad. (50/34 rings)
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Rollin' a fatty
    I wonder the same thing, my mtb cranks are 175 but the road are 172.5.

kellyme

Lower BB higher cadense

I run a normal 175 on my roadie but reasons for shorter cranks might be that the BB is set lower on a road bike, and sometimes you need to pedal through corners.
    It is also more common to pedal faster on the road, shorter cranks makes this easier.
    Put me back on my bike!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Ah poop. The Ritchey crank was a no go. Even with the 118.5 Ultegra BB I would only have 3.5mm of clearance on the chainstays. That just doesn't seem like enough to make me feel warm and cozy. So the BB goes back and maybe I'll end up with compact cranks on my road bike.
    3.5mm isn't a lot, but it seems like enough.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. Rather, supportive.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    3.5mm isn't a lot, but it seems like enough.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. Rather, supportive.

--Sparty
    3.5 scares me. I know my ti frame has some flex back there. I'm thinking about stand up/torque-nasty pedaling. I gotta go with "better safe than sorry". I remember seeing the result of some crank/stay connection years ago, and it wasn't pretty.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Occasionally engaged…
    3.5 scares me.
    I can understand your concern, but on a my old MB-1 ridden for a zillion miles as a geared bike and 1/4 of a zillion miles as a single speed I haven't had a problem with less clearance than that. No matter how hard I grunt up a hill (admittedly, I'm not that powerful), I've never flexed the frame into the crank arm -- and I would know if it happened.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT
    I can understand your concern, but on a my old MB-1 ridden for a zillion miles as a geared bike and 1/4 of a zillion miles as a single speed I haven't had a problem with less clearance than that. No matter how hard I grunt up a hill (admittedly, I'm not that powerful), I've never flexed the frame into the crank arm -- and I would know if it happened.
    I'm of the same mind. Personally, I'd try it before I gave the idea up. But everyone has to find peace of mind on their own terms. Nuttin' wrong with that.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    That is how much clearance I have on my ti frame. Not a problem. I have run it tighter without rubbing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0