Ritchey Comp V3 = Wellgo ??- Mtbr.com
    Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

Ritchey Comp V3 = Wellgo ??

Been running a pair of Ritchey Comp V3s on my SS for over a year now and still like them. In looking to get another pair for my other bike, all I can find is the crappier V4. I read somewhere that Wellgo made pedals for Ritchey, so anyone know if there's a comparable Wellgo pedal that's still available? I normally run the generic Nashbar/Wellgos, but I like the design of the V3 a bit better since it doesn't tighten up as quickly when subjected to Moab-like sand. Thanks,
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey, not sure specifically about the V3s, but yes -- Wellgos and Ritcheys were definitely the same.

I just got some Wellgo Mg-Ti pedals from Greenfish for $50. I've used the same model for at least three years and they've done very well. Nice and light too.. I weigh 165 and have em on my 6-inch bike with no problems.

They also have a good deal on Candys, but I didnt want to switch cleats on all my shoes!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Ritchey's always had wellgo make their pedals, but wellgo has different mechanism designs in simultaneous production under their own name, NOT to mention Xpedo is one of the brands they make the pedals for too. Should be possible to find a brand of wellgo pedals with the same cleat design as your V3s used.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I found the Wellgo webpage, and they've got pics of all their clipless "house" branded pedals. Didn't see anything that was an obvious match, but I think I'll remove one of the pedals this PM and have it in front of me as I scroll thru the current Wellgo offerings. Worst case, Froogle shows that CRC still carries them. Thx,
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Ritchey's always had wellgo make their pedals, but wellgo has different mechanism designs in simultaneous production under their own name, NOT to mention Xpedo is one of the brands they make the pedals for too. Should be possible to find a brand of wellgo pedals with the same cleat design as your V3s used.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Found a match! Didn't see anything identical on the Wellgo page, but was looking at the Forte pedals on the Performance Bike website and noticed that my Ritchey V3s appear to identical to Shimano 520s. FWIW,
    - Joe

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    I don't know who made the Ritchey V3 pedals, but I do know that they licensed the 959 design from Shimano. The V3 Comp and Pro pedals are almost identical to 959s, except for the finish and axle.

When Shimano decided to introduce lower-end pedals with the same design (520 and 540), Shimano didn't renew the agreement w/ Ritchey.

Members who have read this thread: 0