Ritchey Commando...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ritchey Commando...

Hi all,

Just found this forum. I'm still riding my 1986 Ritchey Commando with the origional camoflage paint. I mostly just ride it to work now. Anyone here still have theirs? Mine still has the origional Biopace chain rings! I did some years back upgrade to Rockshox. I truly love this bike but alas, I'm finaly going to get a new mt bike for the trails (that 69deg head angle gets old on steep uphills). I'm keeping the Ritchey to hang in the garage as "art". <g>

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wmalan
    ...I did some years back upgrade to Rockshox...
    Ahhh, the horror! Git that original fork back on that thing when you get your new bike. Seriously, I got schooled on many an occasion by a friend on a camo Commando. Really sweet bike. But I just can't imagine what the handling must be like with a suspension fork raising the front end up so much. The Commando was already something like 69 deg head angle with a rigid fork. That suspendo must boost that thing up to something in the neighborhood of 66 degrees - DH territory. Post pictures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmalan
    I'm still riding my 1986 Ritchey Commando with the origional camoflage paint. I mostly just ride it to work now. Anyone here still have theirs?
    I've only had it a short while ...

http://home.mchsi.com/~lhufford/86commando.html

Bob Hufford
    Springfield, MO

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BobHufford

Bob Hufford
    Springfield, MO
    Wow, that is super sweet. My buddies was just like that - cept he had roller cams front and rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobHufford

Bob Hufford
    Springfield, MO
    Those are some beautiful pictures! Alas, mine is a bit more beaten. I'll try to post a pic.

--
    Bill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Ahhh, the horror! Git that original fork back on that thing when you get your new bike. Seriously, I got schooled on many an occasion by a friend on a camo Commando. Really sweet bike. But I just can't imagine what the handling must be like with a suspension fork raising the front end up so much. The Commando was already something like 69 deg head angle with a rigid fork. That suspendo must boost that thing up to something in the neighborhood of 66 degrees - DH territory. Post pictures.
    Over the years I did some mods that make it very non stock though. In addition to the Rockshox (as was mentioned that baby does have some rake now!), I had a Salsa roller stem back when it was still rigid forks. Ummm... I've lost the origional forks... I'm going to go cry now. <g>

I hear that there was a resturant in Moab that had a Commando hanging over the front door. Someday, I'll have to go there!

--
    Bill

Members who have read this thread: 0