Ritchey Carbon MTB fork- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    Ritchey Carbon MTB fork

    i finally got hold of a Ritchey Carbon MTB fork. here's some details:

    Weight including candistuds, uncut 30cm steerer, without expander plug: 501,2g
    Weight without cantistuds, uncut 30cm, steerer, without expander plug: 476,3g
    Expander plug: 24,4g
    Cantistuds: 24,8g
    Weight of 1 cm carbon-steerer: ca. 2,8g

    Fork lenght: 41cm ! OOOPS - not really what i would call suspension corrected... my own 0815 Carbon fork has 44cm lenght. now that's corrected. 42 or 43 would be ok. that would equal a suspension fork without the sag. but 41 seems rather short.

    Tire clearance: 60mm
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,273

    Great presentation and details

    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    i finally got hold of a Ritchey Carbon MTB fork. here's some details:

    Weight including candistuds, uncut 30cm steerer, without expander plug: 501,2g
    Weight without cantistuds, uncut 30cm, steerer, without expander plug: 476,3g
    Expander plug: 24,4g
    Cantistuds: 24,8g
    Weight of 1 cm carbon-steerer: ca. 2,8g

    Fork lenght: 41cm ! OOOPS - not really what i would call suspension corrected... my own 0815 Carbon fork has 44cm lenght. now that's corrected. 42 or 43 would be ok. that would equal a suspension fork without the sag. but 41 seems rather short.

    Tire clearance: 60mm
    Nice detailed report and excellent pics.

    Now, for those of us who don't understand the technical details (numbers) as well as you, how would this affect a person who has a Manitou Skareb Comp 80 fork?
    Tire clearance fine... yes.
    But,
    I see your measurement of 41 just about where the center of he axle would be.
    Where do I measure at the top........at the bottom the lower stack?

    When I do a rough measurement of my "locked out" (on the bike) fork from that point to where you measured the bottom, I get about 44.4. If that is correct, then using your bottom point, it would seem the Ritchey would be about 3 cm shorter.......

    Perhaps I am measuring something wrong? or else I'd seem to end up over a inch shorter in the lockout position which I often use.

  3. #3
    SUBLIM8er
    Reputation: Axis II's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester
    Nice detailed report and excellent pics.

    Now, for those of us who don't understand the technical details (numbers) as well as you, how would this affect a person who has a Manitou Skareb Comp 80 fork?
    Tire clearance fine... yes.
    But,
    I see your measurement of 41 just about where the center of he axle would be.
    Where do I measure at the top........at the bottom the lower stack?

    When I do a rough measurement of my "locked out" (on the bike) fork from that point to where you measured the bottom, I get about 44.4. If that is correct, then using your bottom point, it would seem the Ritchey would be about 3 cm shorter.......

    Perhaps I am measuring something wrong? or else I'd seem to end up over a inch shorter in the lockout position which I often use.
    You measure from bottom of lower crown race to the center of axle. I'd say that this fork is too short for proper 80mm corrected geometry. The handling would be really nervous and you'd have a tendency to wanna go over the bars on steep decents. The weight is good, though. It makes one wonder what kinda frame they were thinking about when they put the numbers together for this?
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,273

    Thanks for the info

    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    You measure from bottom of lower crown race to the center of axle. I'd say that this fork is too short for proper 80mm corrected geometry. The handling would be really nervous and you'd have a tendency to wanna go over the bars on steep decents. The weight is good, though. It makes one wonder what kinda frame they were thinking about when they put the numbers together for this?
    Thanks, I also found a page specifically about changing fork length on road bikes which discusses some of the steering implications........
    But they are talking about changes, percentage wise, far smaller than 3 cm.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/forklengths.htm

    BTW, what about "sag" ? I see lots of mentions of "sag" being about 25 mm average. I don't know about most guys, but being about 135 lbs. fully loaded with water and clothes, I don't think I'm sagging much at all........Measured it. Perhapsabout 3 mm when in lock-out...and only about 5 mm when I just ease onto the bike in normal position even out of saddle gently standing there.
    Of course, like I said, sans clothes etc, I'm only about 126 lbs dripping wet.


    Perhaps I'll call Ritchey and see what they say........since I live near their HQ office.
    Last edited by Chester; 12-12-2006 at 02:28 PM.

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    it's much shorter...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chester
    Thanks, I also found a page specifically about changing fork length on road bikes which discusses some of the steering implications........
    But they are talking about changes, percentage wise, far smaller than 3 cm.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/forklengths.htm

    BTW, what about "sag" ? I see lots of mentions of "sag" being about 25 mm average. I don't know about most guys, but being about 135 lbs. fully loaded with water and clothes, I don't think I'm sagging much at all........Measured it. Perhapsabout 3 mm when in lock-out...and only about 5 mm when I just ease onto the bike in normal position even out of saddle gently standing there.
    Of course, like I said, sans clothes etc, I'm only about 126 lbs dripping wet.


    Perhaps I'll call Ritchey and see what they say........since I live near their HQ office.
    as already mentioned above the Ritchey is much shorter than a conventional 80mm XC-fork. those typically are around 440mm long. you measured correct: from the middle of the axle to the lower crown of the headset. thus the Ritchey is 3 cm shorter which is affecting head angle quite a bit. it makes your steering angle bout 1,5 degrees steeper, which makes for much quicker steering.

    sag is the amount of travel your fork compresses when you simply sit on your bike. usually that's about 10-15mm on a crosscountry fork. that's why i said 42-43cm would be the perfect lenght for such a fork if it's called "suspension corrected for 80mm forks". as it seems, the Ritchey isn't corrected. it's as simple as that. if your bike rides good or bad depends on how steep your headangle already is with a proper 80mm fork mounted. i also used a shorter SID with only 63mm of travel on my Scale. it still measures about 42cm if i remember right so the Ritchey would match my SIDs lenght (when you also take the sag into account). on my winterbike it would do very good! the winterbike has a pretty slack head angle.

    but 60mm of tire clearance isn't all that much either! no fat tires with this baby...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    The fork is suspension corrected ..... for suspension from 10 years ago. No, really! Old geometry aside (i'd love to have 2 of those right now, thank you very much) you gotta wonder about the strength - how much carbon is enough for how much punishment?!?!?!

    Oh, btw Nino, the a2c on that fork is more like 412 mm, not 410. You measure to the center of the axle, not close to it. Hey, sometimes 2 mm can/does make the difference.

    So what's a fork like that sell for?

    Is it just me or does it bear a striking resemblance to the Trigon brand of fork that's being sold on E-Bay for ~$220 US$? Man there's a lot of this going on lately!!! First the Pace/Bontrager/On-One/Fetish fork, now this. Geez, it's just KILLING me!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies. :D

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: top_ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,000
    I want one of those. The perfect fit for my 97 King Kahuna. How much $??

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO

    Oh, btw Nino, the a2c on that fork is more like 412 mm, not 410. You measure to the center of the axle, not close to it. Hey, sometimes 2 mm can/does make the difference.
    well - my axle doesn't have 10mm diameter it measures 40,7 cm right to the bottom of the drop-out. so adding about 3mm for half the diamteter makes it plain 41 cm.

  9. #9
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,868
    Standard front axle diameter in the slots... is 9mm... so half of that is 4.5... 407+4.5=411.5 which puts andrew closer to the real measurement that you are.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    ooops-correct

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Standard front axle diameter in the slots... is 9mm... so half of that is 4.5... 407+4.5=411.5 which puts andrew closer to the real measurement that you are.
    correct - i was thinking about the skewers only. but there's the hub axle as well. anyway - it is rather short.

  11. #11
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,868
    That'd be fine for oh... those still using 63mm travel SIDs I suppose.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.