Ritchey 20mm hub has play- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ritchey 20mm hub has play

This is my first 20mm hub and my first time riding a 20mm fork and hub. The Ritchey hub I got has some play on both sides of the hub. You can move the chrome a little both on its own and when it's on the bike. Is this normal? I would have thought a 20mm fork and hub combo would have been more rigid and solid.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    are sue sure the Maxle on your Pike is completely tightened? you should tighten until it doesn't spin (even if the position of the maxle is not the preferred one on v1 Maxle forks (non 360))

there should be no play... if there still is..it could be that the fork/hub combo is at the opposite extremes of the tolerances... but still is not common..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    are sue sure the Maxle on your Pike is completely tightened? you should tighten until it doesn't spin (even if the position of the maxle is not the preferred one on v1 Maxle forks (non 360))

there should be no play... if there still is..it could be that the fork/hub combo is at the opposite extremes of the tolerances... but still is not common..
    It's not the fork or fork/hub combo because I can jiggle the hub's sides when it's alone. It's the hub -- is it normal for a hub to have a little movement on the side aluminum pieces?

well i can "wiggle" the 20mm "cups" on the sides of my Hope Pro 2 when uninstalled, but there is no play whatsoever when the wheel is installed...

so..something might be wrong if it still moves when installed , as you posted above

mtbr member
    Well, I figured it out out. The fork didn't have a fork race crown. So the headset was sitting right on the fork (yikes -- good thing I didn't go riding like this). Do forks come with a fork race crown or is that particular to the bike? I bought the Pike used and would have thought it would have come with it.

yikes

The crown race is part of the headset, not the fork, you (or whoever switched the forks) should have removed your crown race from the Reba and pressed it on the Pike, you can also get a spare race for the model you have from your LBS or the headset manufacturer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    yikes

The crown race is part of the headset, not the fork, you (or whoever switched the forks) should have removed your crown race from the Reba and pressed it on the Pike, you can also get a spare race for the model you have from your LBS or the headset manufacturer
    I can't pry the crown race off the Reba so I'm getting a second one today for the Pike. Oh well, learn as I go.

if you are careful, you can get it off with a screwdriver and hammer (or mallet), just tap around evenly, and push it up little by little.... the crown even has some space front and back where you can start tapping....

getting a spare is not a bad idea, just that I usually move the crowns from one fork to the next...

Members who have read this thread: 0