NOS Ritchey SuperComp- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

NOS Ritchey SuperComp

Fellas, thought you might enjoy seeing some fresh pics of my "new" Ritchey SuperComp. It's an '88 model year and size 17". Totally original (except for the grips) and unridden. Here's just a few pics from the photo session:

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    unriden? how'd you manage to score that. it's absolutley a work of art. do you hang it over you're mantle?

mtbr member
    Nice!!!!!! Didnt you get that off Ebay? It actually went cheap I though for NOS. Are you going to get it dirty?

mtbr member
    Wow!!! Nice.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Found on eBay and a poorly constructed auction. I intended to ride it (that's why I bid on it in the first place), but when I saw it was actually NOS as in "Never Off Stand", well, would you paint a moustache on the Mona Lisa (or some kind of analogy like that). All I could bring myself to do was strip it apart, fondle all the pieces, apply a bit of Simichrome/Mequiars/TriFlo and piece it back together.

Here's a few more pics:

VRC Hound
    Very nice! That was really a bad auction - well done capitalizing on it!

artistic...
    phhhew! .... the fact this bike is absolutely immaculate and pristine creates a terrible conundrum: either you don't ride it and betray it's nature or you ride it and destroy it's immaculate condition.
    what will you do??
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Ya, thats the problem of having a bike like that. You'll just have to get another Ritchey to ride

mtbr member
    Thats amazing that there are actually bikes like that still floating around.

Nice Find.
    I Dont know what I would do with that bike
    tough decision.......

--
    CR

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by filegiant
    would you paint a moustache on the Mona Lisa (or some kind of analogy like that).
    wow. i love NOS. please, don't ride it! would you lick a blue mauritius and stick it on a letter?

Carsten

Jan 2004
    I'd think "what would Tom Ritchey do?" and then take it to my favorite trail and have a freakin' awesome ride. Probably wouldn't wear a helmet either. But that's me. Whatever you do with it, it's your decision. It is really beautiful, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    I'd think "what would Tom Ritchey do?" and then take it to my favorite trail and have a freakin' awesome ride. Probably wouldn't wear a helmet either. But that's me. Whatever you do with it, it's your decision. It is really beautiful, though.
    Ya, but if you were Tom Ritchey you could just build another if you scratched it

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kb11
    Ya, but if you were Tom Ritchey you could just build another if you scratched it
    LOL - but somehow I don't get the impression that he worries about scratches

mtbr member
    That is in such breathtakingly perfect shape that i think it would be a crime to ride it.. How many like it do you think there are in the world? There are hundreds in 'good, but used' condition. Maybe one or two in that condition.

You'll just have to buy another one

mtbr member
    Daaayumm.....that's gorgeous. What a find!

He be a moose too.
    Just curious, what's the url of the poorly constructed auction. In my quick persual, I didn't find it.

'Guin

bonked
    Tough call for sure, but I'd ride it. What's the point of owning it if you don't. It's not art, it's a bicycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robinmiller
    That is in such breathtakingly perfect shape that i think it would be a crime to ride it.. How many like it do you think there are in the world? There are hundreds in 'good, but used' condition. Maybe one or two in that condition.

You'll just have to buy another one
    Actually TR only made less than 60 fillet brazed bike a year in the late 80's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    Just curious, what's the url of the poorly constructed auction. In my quick persual, I didn't find it.

'Guin
    It's out of the eBay database due to the length of time.

BWT, did you know that to peruse means to "examine or consider with attention and in detail". Most of us have always used it to mean the opposite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    Tough call for sure, but I'd ride it. What's the point of owning it if you don't. It's not art, it's a bicycle.
    I'd disagree with the last statement...it's more than a bicycle as are lots of the high-end bikes out there. I know, as I have considered several times in past years, if I ever was to have Tom Ritchey build me one of his latest, I'd have to have it fillet-brazed (and I'm a self-proclaimed weight-weenie). Not because there is anything inherently wrong with TIG welding, but because Tom's brass fillets are so beautiful. It goes beyond just being a tool at some point in my opinion.

In any case, the original tires are slightly dried out on the sidewalls (which only show when they are fully-pressurized) so they're for display only and would have to be changed prior to a ride. Along with the grips I did have to replace the three XT rubber rings on each quick-release nut for the same reason. Got replacements down at ACE Hardware in the O-ring section.

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    personally i wouldn't ride it. i'd sell it to someone that would keep it as an artifact before i'd ever ride it. i'm the kind of guy that would rather get a bike with signs of use over an NOS one only cause i would hate the idea of putting a scratch in it or something. a museum quality vintage bike deserves to remain that way in my feeble mind.

No good in rock gardens..
    Whoa.

Too nice.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture
    personally i wouldn't ride it. i'd sell it to someone that would keep it as an artifact before i'd ever ride it. i'm the kind of guy that would rather get a bike with signs of use over an NOS one only cause i would hate the idea of putting a scratch in it or something. a museum quality vintage bike deserves to remain that way in my feeble mind.
    My thoughts exactly. The sad conclusion is that I will probably sell it down the line at some point once I've got my fill of looking at/dusting it. I'll be letting someone else make the "to ride or not to ride" decision. Then it's back to looking for another slightly-less new 17" SuperComp (OK, how many of those do you think he brazed!)

Or maybe I'll be happy with my Klein Pinnacle that D&D Cycles (the same shop that originally painted this SuperComp frame) is about to finish. He's had it nearly a year now so it better look good! WTB Speedmasters front and rear are gonna be sweet...

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=filegiant]I'd disagree with the last statement...it's more than a bicycle as are lots of the high-end bikes out there. I know, as I have considered several times in past years, if I ever was to have Tom Ritchey build me one of his latest, I'd have to have it fillet-brazed (and I'm a self-proclaimed weight-weenie). Not because there is anything inherently wrong with TIG welding, but because Tom's brass fillets are so beautiful. It goes beyond just being a tool at some point in my opinion.

Hummmm, getting TR to build a fillet brazed bike these days might be difficult , and expensive if he were to do it. Oh, btw, the fillet brazed frames are slightly heavier than the Tig'd counterparts but TR's fillet brazed frames are truely works of art and highly sought after.

Royalston Mass
    Sell the bike to me and I'll ride it. I'll bomb it down Re-Pack in Jeans, flannel shirt and my old Nike Lava Domes
    Don't argue with idiots...they will take you down to their level and beat you with experience

He be a moose too.
    BWT, did you know that to peruse means to "examine or consider with attention and in detail".
    Giant:

It's "BTW", not "BWT". Apparently you don't peruse your own postings before you submit them.

'Guin

P.S. Just kidding, of course. Thanks for the trivia. A guy in the next cube who is something of a wordsmith liked you post too. That is a killer bike.

VRC Hound
    Ken: those production numbers are amazing. It is a testament to the quality of the builds that there are so many fillet brazed Ritchey's kicking around. Considering that other, similarly high end bikes, were made in the hundreds or thousands and now they hardly outnumber classic Ritcheys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    Ken: those production numbers are amazing. It is a testament to the quality of the builds that there are so many fillet brazed Ritchey's kicking around. Considering that other, similarly high end bikes, were made in the hundreds or thousands and now they hardly outnumber classic Ritcheys.
    And TR made even less fillet brazed bikes in the 90's! maybe 25 a year including the P-series Team, Road classic and Everests. Still not enough FB Ritchies to go around I think there longivity is due to that these bikes were custom ordered and expensive. They were probably well taken care of and not riden too much The paint and decals on my P-23 Team look like new but is all original

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    There's still a white elephant in this thread ... how much did the NOS Ritchey sell for?

bonked
    I'd disagree with the last statement...it's more than a bicycle as are lots of the high-end bikes out there. I know, as I have considered several times in past years, if I ever was to have Tom Ritchey build me one of his latest, I'd have to have it fillet-brazed (and I'm a self-proclaimed weight-weenie). Not because there is anything inherently wrong with TIG welding, but because Tom's brass fillets are so beautiful. It goes beyond just being a tool at some point in my opinion.

In any case, the original tires are slightly dried out on the sidewalls (which only show when they are fully-pressurized) so they're for display only and would have to be changed prior to a ride. Along with the grips I did have to replace the three XT rubber rings on each quick-release nut for the same reason. Got replacements down at ACE Hardware in the O-ring section.
    It's just my opinion. I would be willing to bet that TR would find it somewhat flattering but also sad that the bike isn't being used for something other than a wall hanging. I personally just can't have things around that don't get used. I am right now at this very moment in time in a personal conflict about whether or not i should keep my "hobby" car or sell it because I don't use it often enough, especially living up north. The IF and both bar bikes as well as the old 1960s cruiser that Gary Fisher autographed may go soon as well, because I can't stand to see them just collect dust most of the time.

Yes it is beautiful, but to me it is JUST a tool.
    Yes I am!

bonked
    I need to add too, looking at those pictured of such a mint Ritchey really took me back to my early days at the shop and made me feel kind of bunched up with nostalgia.
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    ...but to me it is JUST a tool.
    Enter communal gasp/shock here

VRC Hound
    Quote Originally Posted by holden
    There's still a white elephant in this thread ... how much did the NOS Ritchey sell for?
    $799.95 + s&h

mwr
    brain donor
    They were probably well taken care of and not riden too much The paint and decals on my P-23 Team look like new but is all original[/img]
    Maybe the 13 year old girl who originally owned it had a growth spurt.

mtbr member
    It was just a very nice tool in '88, now its a collectable that is irreplaceable. Extreem example: If you had say a NOS '70 Hemicuda with 00000 on the odometer, would you take it to the store to buy milk?? No, you would of de-valued your car buy thousands. If you want to drive a Hemicuda you build a clone and have fun.

artistic...
    It was just a very nice tool in '88, now its a collectable that is irreplaceable. Extreem example: If you had say a NOS '70 Hemicuda with 00000 on the odometer, would you take it to the store to buy milk?? No, you would of de-valued your car buy thousands. If you want to drive a Hemicuda you build a clone and have fun.

i would ride the ritchey.. and i would drive the hemi.. i'm not a collector. i like to live in style. that means using rare, stylish tools in m y daily chores. i would ride that ritchey down the trail and the more i scratched it the more i would be relieved. the first 3 scratches hurt. the rest are fine...
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    Giant:

It's "BTW", not "BWT". Apparently you don't peruse your own postings before you submit them.

'Guin

P.S. Just kidding, of course. Thanks for the trivia. A guy in the next cube who is something of a wordsmith liked you post too. That is a killer bike.
    Umm, "BWT" means "by whimsical thought". Yeah, that's what I meant.

VRC Illuminati
    Wow...that's a gem!

I tend to lean towards 'ride it'...but in this case, it's just a perfect excuse to get another one to use as a rider, and let this be a show piece.

Very cool! Congrats!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Exaggerated member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Wow...that's a gem!

I tend to lean towards 'ride it'...but in this case, it's just a perfect excuse to get another one to use as a rider, and let this be a show piece.

Very cool! Congrats!
    Agreed, simply gorgeous! Nearly made my day, but I did have a damn good ride this morning, although quite muddy. Let me say seeing this has finished the day off perfectly.
    Alex

bonked
    My point is I wouldn't own it if I couldn't use it. Why bother. I devalued my car by thousands the minute I drove it off the lot. And in the grand scheme of things, a genuine Hemi Cuda that is unrestored factory all original is already worth well into the 6 figures if not 7 figures in the current collector market, what difference would a few thousand make. Hell, to that end, if the car has been sitting for 36 years unused, potentially untouched, it is not drivable anyway. Every bit of rubber and every drop of fluid would need to be replaced and then *bam* the car isn't untouched original anymore. Factory correct maybe, but not original.

I refuse to collect static displays. That is actually a somewhat ironic statement as I am a formally trained artist. I stopped producing artwork well over a decade ago because (1) I hated the art scene in Atlanta and (2) decorative art eventually struck me as frivolous. On a tangent, I remember the uproar many years ago about Julian Schnabel's work being imperminant. Seems some of his work was falling apart as it hung on the owners' walls. I thought that was funny. I doubt he ever made a claim that his work would last more than 10 minutes. IIRC he was taken to court over it.

Frankly I would rather collect cars, bicycles, motorcycles with history. I'd love to own and vintage race Mark Donahue's 917/30 or any of his Trans Am series cars, or any of Kenny Roberts TZ750s or any of Ned's bikes and if I couldn't use them then I wouldn't keep them.
    Yes I am!

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    That is a very nice bike....love the shot of the BB with the cable routing and that paint fade. It is crazy to see a NOS like that. I think that we can all appreciate that bike looking at the pictures but the thing is that to truly appreciate a bike it must be ridden. The way a bike handles and feels is part of it as a whole....to just look at it is nice, but you miss out on the complete package. I would ride it hard and let others look and ride it as well. Hanging it on a wall or putting it behind glass to look at you are only selling it short....TR builds bikes to be ridden not just looked at. That being said let me know when its my turn!

May 2006
    My point is I wouldn't own it if I couldn't use it. Why bother. I devalued my car by thousands the minute I drove it off the lot. And in the grand scheme of things, a genuine Hemi Cuda that is unrestored factory all original is already worth well into the 6 figures if not 7 figures in the current collector market, what difference would a few thousand make. Hell, to that end, if the car has been sitting for 36 years unused, potentially untouched, it is not drivable anyway. Every bit of rubber and every drop of fluid would need to be replaced and then *bam* the car isn't untouched original anymore. Factory correct maybe, but not original.

I refuse to collect static displays. That is actually a somewhat ironic statement as I am a formally trained artist. I stopped producing artwork well over a decade ago because (1) I hated the art scene in Atlanta and (2) decorative art eventually struck me as frivolous. On a tangent, I remember the uproar many years ago about Julian Schnabel's work being imperminant. Seems some of his work was falling apart as it hung on the owners' walls. I thought that was funny. I doubt he ever made a claim that his work would last more than 10 minutes. IIRC he was taken to court over it.

Frankly I would rather collect cars, bicycles, motorcycles with history. I'd love to own and vintage race Mark Donahue's 917/30 or any of his Trans Am series cars, or any of Kenny Roberts TZ750s or any of Ned's bikes and if I couldn't use them then I wouldn't keep them.

wow , allow me to stray off topic....
    deja vu...years ago, as in 69,70,71, my mind fogs exactly when, I got to RIDE in Mark Donahues TransAm Cuda! It was being displayed at a tire dealership and my girlfriends apartment was across the street. Around 10 PM we heard a deafening roar and I knew exactly what it was. I ran down the stairs and across the street just as he was pulling back into the lot! He had taken it for a spin around the block. (in a little town just south of Seattle) Well, when he shut it down I got to talkin with him, he was hungry, I offered to buy at the local Jack in the Box, and away we went. I wish I had a picture of the clerk in the drivethru ! Needless to say the food was free and the ride was freekin unforgetable...

bonked
    Awesome story, but I don't recall Donahue or Penske Racing running a cuda in Trans Am. A Camaro and a Javalin yes, but not a cuda.
    Yes I am!

May 2006
    like I said,, my mind is a bit foggy -the 60's you know -. I know it was a Cuda, i've got a picture somewhere, maybe it wasn't Donahue but it sure seems right. I know he was there cause they were running at Seattle international Raceway.

May 2006
    you were right! I jogged the old memory bank with help from google, it was Swede Savage! great pictures and history of the 1970 season are here...http://www.historictransam.com/Drive...da.htm...thanx for the correction....I guess someday i just gotta exhale!!

bonked
    Nice. The cheater cars. I forgot about those until you mentioned Swede Savage. I remember Sam Posey in some interview talking about those cars and how they had been "cleaned" to remove excess weight from the bare shell.
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Wow, thats amazing. Thanks for sharing. I saw that on ebay and drooled and wished it was bigger. The size is very rare too, musta been a custom.

Im all for ripping up the trails on the oldies, but this one I would never ride. Too rare.

mtbr member
    It's a bit maddening, but the size if perfect for me. My other Ritchey's have always been 18" as this is usually the smallest frame you can find. The seller believed this was a custom size as well, but the 1988 catalog did list a 17" (and a 16"), although it didn't give the dimensions (see: https://oldmountainbikes.com/catalog...hey1988_12.jpg)

mtbr member
    One last round 'o SuperComp pics:

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    Just had to look again! That is one nice ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Skulley! It was recently added to the list on www.oldmountainbikes.com as Eric just did an update.
    My Wanted List:

1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    wow!

that bike is beyond gorgeous. i'm torn, i'm not sure which way i'd go it i had that baby in my grubby paws. but, you know, as beautiful as it is, i think i'd ride the snot out of it...
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member
    See, if I ride it, future generations will have no appreciation of that struggle for themselves
    My Wanted List:

1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)

Members who have read this thread: 1