Mavic EX721 vs Syncros DS28- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Mavic EX721 vs Syncros DS28

Wanting to build up some wheels on the new bike and wanted to get more opinions on a couple of rims.

Mavic EX721 and Syncros DS28

The EX721 is $90 and the DS28 at $60, so from a price point the Syncros are in the lead. Both rims are reasonable light (EX721 @ 590g, DS28 at 545g) again leaning more to the Syncros. How does the strength and durability compare on the rims.

The wheels will be on an Iron Horse 6 Point bike, built up more FR than AM, and will replace the stock DT Swiss E540s. The rear will be built to a Hadley 12 x 150 hub 32 spoke, don't have hub for the front yet. I ride technical shore trails with smaller drops ranging from 3 to 6 feet, and weigh about 185lbs.

I have had good luck with the EX729, but wanted something lighter thus the questions

Thanks in advance for the info.

mtbr member
    If you are leaning towards the Syn DS28 and wanna save few bucks; consider the Halo Freedoms. They can be had for $45. Its almost identical to the DS28. same weight too.

3 "fiddy" for short
    I have a 721 on on the rear wheel of my RFX and love the thing. It has been asked to withstand the torture of Diablo FR Park and didnt hesitate to answer the call. I have never tried the DS28s, but I have heard good things about them.

So, if you decide to go for the 721 you wont be disappointed at all. Although, I'm sure that the DS 28 would serve you well too.

not so super...
    IMO the DS28 is more of a AM/heavy XC use rim. I really liked the set I had but not sure if they'd last for FreeRide use.
    Nothing to see here.

Members who have read this thread: 0