Bending Lugs - Tom Ritchey Question- Mtbr.com
    President, CEO of Earth

Bending Lugs - Tom Ritchey Question

Years ago I read an article about Tom Ritchey in a magazine. The article said that, when learning to build frames, he figured out how to 'bend lugs.'

I assume the lugs he was bending were to allow design flexibility with available lugs, but is this a common stratetgy, and is there some preferred method of 'bending lugs?'
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if there is only one way, but my technique was to use 2 appropriately size tubes and use them to bend the lug to the appropriate angle. I've seen a recent post on the framebuilder listserver where an individual is selling solid rod that is angled to allow for them not to interfere in the lug.

A few degrees is not really a problem (< 3 deg), but any higher than that and you might need a few other tricks. (heat the lug; maybe reshape the lug). I was able to modify my BB angle ~6 deg, but it was a huge amount of work and I'd probably just fillet braze it next time.

-Derek

President, CEO of Earth
    Doesn't this weaken the lug?

Are lugs so strong that they can be wrenched into plastic deformation without worrying about breakage later on down the road?
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyNobody
    Doesn't this weaken the lug?

Are lugs so strong that they can be wrenched into plastic deformation without worrying about breakage later on down the road?
    This is a fair question. I'm assuming that it must weaken the lug a little, but you aren't fatiguing the lug (bending it back and forth). Keep in mind that these are not huge changes in the angle of the lug and there is only minimal deformation of the lug. Also, the only failures I've seen on lugged frames is at the end of the lug/tube junction and there is a crack in the tube not the lug.

Maybe others have more insight.

-Derek

pvd
    mtbr member
    i'm not really into lugs, but i would figure that a hammer and mandrel would make quick work of a lug angle.

Members who have read this thread: 0