BB spindle width for Syncros Revolution cranks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

BB spindle width for Syncros Revolution cranks

Hey guys,

Long time lurker...you know the rest. Look I'm fixing up my now ten year old Moots YBB (its off to Colorado for a refinish), in all its glory, and I'm replacing most of its components, but not all (White Bros. Magic 80 fork, new drive train, etc.). I'm going to keep using my old Sycros Revolution cro-mo cranks (because they rock and they were my "best man" gift when one of my best riding buddies got married, I'm very attached to them, they are 9 years old but are in great shape), I wanted to replace the BB I have in there (it was a field repair and was too wide for the crank if I remember correctly), so I'm going to put in a new Phil Wood SS bottom branket.

Here is my problem, I remember that they needed a slightly longer spindle length than was average but there is no information available on the web. My first thought was a 113, but something in the back of my head says that in order to run a straight chain I need a 117. I know the Phils can be adjusted 5mm so I may be OK with the 113 (or even 111) but I wanted to know if there were any wrenches out there who remembered how to set up these cranks.

Thanks,

ZRM

MTJ

Feb 2004

117 mm

I can tell you with 100% certainty it's a 117mm. I still have mine - only one ring on it at the moment on my single speed - but I can tell you it is definitely 117mm. I'm actuallly running the Syncros Double-Row Chromoly Bottom Bracket it was designed for, and the ring(s) are Syncros too.

I once tried running a shorter spindle - I think it was 110mm - and it would not shift. The offset that the spider creates makes a long spindle absolutely necessary.

The bad news is that it's hard to find good square taper BBs at all, much less 117mm ones.

I thought I was the only one who still had one. Glad to know there are others. Keep it alive!

mtbr member
    Thanks MTJ,

I guess I'll have to go with the Phil Wood 119 (they don't make a 117), is the left crank close to the frame at all with the 117? Do you think I could get away with the 116 and adjust the BB a bit to the right (Phil's can adjust around 5 mm)? I didn't really bother to measure before I stripped my frame down, and I was running a 125 mm BB anyway.

ZRM

MTJ

Feb 2004

116 should be fine

In my opinion I think the left arm is actually out a little farther than it needs to be. Let's be real here though; 1mm difference in spindle length means each side would be .5mm off. That's basically nothing, and is probably close to what the manufacturing tolerances are on the crank anyway.

Now that I say that, you might actually consider the 119 (especially since you had a 125 on there). The reason I say that is often times the spindle interface on the crank tends to widen over time, especially if the crank bolts are over-torqued, and as such you have to push the crankarm further onto the spindle. This makes it closer to the frame, so the longer spindle would help to offset that effect. Now, if you're a torque-wrench kind of guy and you know this isn't an issue, the 116 should suit you fine.

I'm glad you're putting in a BB worthy of that crank.