Anyone use Ritchey WCS components?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone use Ritchey WCS components?

I want to shave some weight off my bike, but I like riding aggressive technical XC and I don't want fragile stuff. I've got an opportunity to get some great deals on Ritchey components and I'm looking at their WCS line. Specifically, I'm looking at the WCS Rizer bar, WCS stem, WCS seatpost and WCS Streem saddle. Anybody have any experience with this stuff?

For the bars, is the 25.4 diameter bar very flexy? I currently have a 31.8 diam bar on my bike and don't want to sacrific too much stiffness for weight. (http://82.165.176.229/Ritchey/web/Ri..._WCSRizer.html)

For the stem, the clamp doesn't look very strong. Anybody have any issues with this stem? (http://82.165.176.229/Ritchey/web/Ri...Stems_WCS.html)

For the saddle, does anyone have any ride time on it? How comfortable is it? (http://82.165.176.229/Ritchey/web/Ri...WCSStreem.html)

Thanks in advance for any info you might have.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

banned

no....

Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    I want to shave some weight off my bike, but I like riding aggressive technical XC and I don't want fragile stuff. I've got an opportunity to get some great deals on Ritchey components and I'm looking at their WCS line. Specifically, I'm looking at the WCS Rizer bar, WCS stem, WCS seatpost and WCS Streem saddle. Anybody have any experience with this stuff?

For the bars, is the 25.4 diameter bar very flexy? I currently have a 31.8 diam bar on my bike and don't want to sacrific too much stiffness for weight. (http://82.165.176.229/Ritchey/web/Ri..._WCSRizer.html)

For the stem, the clamp doesn't look very strong. Anybody have any issues with this stem? (http://82.165.176.229/Ritchey/web/Ri...Stems_WCS.html)

For the saddle, does anyone have any ride time on it? How comfortable is it? (http://82.165.176.229/Ritchey/web/Ri...WCSStreem.html)

ritschi? never heard of. must be some cheapo taiwanese stuff.i wouldn't trust that.

oh sorry - that's not ritschi. i meant FRISCHI. doesn't the multi-time worldchampion use those parts ? should be good enough then

mtbr member
    For the stem, the clamp doesn't look very strong. Anybody have any issues with this stem? (https://82.165.176.229/Ritchey/web/R...Stems_WCS.html)

Yes. The stem does not work well with all handle bars.

Customer Seven 31.8 ti bar shown below you will notice the stem bans do not line up properly with the handle bar's shim. I switched to a Thomson Elite x4 without a problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    Yes. The stem does not work well with all handle bars.

Customer Seven 31.8 ti bar shown below you will notice the stem bans do not line up properly with the handle bar's shim. I switched to a Thomson Elite x4 without a problem.

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming that it would probably work ok with Ritchey brand bars? I guess my only issue is that it doesn't look that strong.

Any reports of stem failure?
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

Reviewer/Tester
    I have been using that stem for a while on my One Niner without any problems so far.

If it breaks, i'll send you a memo about it from my hospital bed...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Howell, MI

My stem works great!

I have a 90mm with some tuned bolts. It weighs 99g, and looks pretty cool as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Has anyone used, seen, or heard anything about the Ritchey WCS 4-Axis stem?

SUBLIM8er
    I'll never go back to any Ritchy product. Had a WCS ISIS crankset that would not allow for proper crankarm/BB tightness due to poor BB spindle/crankarm interface. I'd be in the middle of a ride and my crankarms would be wobbling around and yes, I did tighten crank bolts often and even resorted to lock-tite. No go. Frischi may use the WCS stuff but you can bet that it's the "A" grade stuff and not what you and I are able to find from Performance Bike. If Tom Ritchy starts crafting stuff out of his shop again I might consider it but until then I've seen enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    I'll never go back to any Ritchy product. Had a WCS ISIS crankset that would not allow for proper crankarm/BB tightness due to poor BB spindle/crankarm interface. I'd be in the middle of a ride and my crankarms would be wobbling around and yes, I did tighten crank bolts often and even resorted to lock-tite. No go. Frischi may use the WCS stuff but you can bet that it's the "A" grade stuff and not what you and I are able to find from Performance Bike. If Tom Ritchy starts crafting stuff out of his shop again I might consider it but until then I've seen enough.
    Thanks for the input.

I thought that the WCS line is their "A" grades stuff?

mtbr member

Good job!

EN/main/product/12098/bars/MtnBars_WCSRizer.html)

For the stem, the clamp doesn't look very strong. Anybody have any issues with this stem? (http://82.165.176.229/Ritchey/web/Ritchey~Logic/Ritchey~Site/web/EN/main/product/12098/stems/MtnStems_WCS.html)

I've been using the stem for a few months. No problems. Light, stiff, looks cool.

I weigh 135, use it on an Intense Spider for technical aggressive X-C here in CO.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

SUBLIM8er
    Thanks for the input.

I thought that the WCS line is their "A" grades stuff?
    By "A" grade I refer to that product which doesn't make it to the consumer market and is reserved for industry insiders such as sponsored riders. Frischi's bike may represent WCS components but you can bet that a great deal of TLC and oversight go into the components that he is riding. He's not sourcing his stuff from online retailers, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies.

I just got back from a shop that had both the WCS and WCS 4-Axis stems in stock. The clamps on the WCS definitely look a bit beefier in real life than online. I think I'll go ahead and pick one up. I'll be using it with the Ritchey 31.8 WCS Rizer bar, so I'm sure there won't be a compatibility problem.

Fashionably functional...
    Have a stem on my DEAN and one on my girl's road bike. Both performs with no issue. I've ised mine with a Ti bar to start, swapped to an AL bar for a few weeks and now with a carbon bar. No probs with any of them.
    What's the joy of living if you can't feel alive???

mtbr member

pulled the trigger

I went ahead and put in my order for a WCS 31.8 90mm stem, a WCS 31.8 Rizer bar and a WCS 27.2x350 seatpost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fsr1
    I have a 90mm with some tuned bolts. It weighs 99g, and looks pretty cool as well.
    '

Is that the 4-axis stem in the picture ?? Does it flex ??

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I went ahead and put in my order for a WCS 31.8 90mm stem, a WCS 31.8 Rizer bar and a WCS 27.2x350 seatpost.
    So how do you like the 4-axis stem ? Does it flex at 90mm ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericsan256
    So how do you like the 4-axis stem ? Does it flex at 90mm ?
    I ended up buying the regular WCS and not the 4-Axis, because the 2-piece clamp of the WCS is spaced wider apart than the clamp of the 4-Axis, which made me think that the clamp area might be a bit stiffer. I could be wrong, but I didn't like the way that the 4-Axis clamp is cut in on the sides. Here's a pic of the 4-Axis clamp:

I just got the stem and WCS riser 31.8 bar at the end of last week (WCS seatpost was backordered), and our trails are sloppy right now, so I don't have any ride time with it installed. It looks awesome matched with the WCS 31.8 bar, but I can't comment on how stiff it feels. I did take it for a spin around the block, but that wasn't a real test. I wish that maybe I'd bought an 80mm instead of 90, but my only choices were 90mm and up, so that wasn't even an option. I can't wait to get it on the trails to see how it affects handling.

This is the WCS stem:

This is the WCS 4-Axis stem:

Members who have read this thread: 0