Your First Trail Ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Your First Trail Ride

Post your first trail ride ever here! My first trail ride was at a local singletrack, lots of sagebrush and loose dirt.

It was a 5 mile ride with lots of gradual decent and great views. I went out early in the morning on my Salsa Timberjack (current bike; started mountain biking not too long ago) and had an absolute blast.

I also remember thinking that singletrack is so much more fun than road. Even though I went out early that morning, it was still fairly hot, so there weren't too many people out.

I don't have any pictures, but if you do, post them. Looking forward to hearing your stories!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I rode a very flat, kinda boring singletrack trail. Still beats the snot out of road riding. I still ride the trail pretty often as it is close to me.

One kind of unique feature of that trail is the privet "tunnel" around certain stretches of it.Your First Trail Ride-34035711_835044313361445_5490840195848732672_n.jpg

I think I rode about 3 miles because it started raining and I was also getting turned around on the trail quite a bit (trail gets a lot of hiker/homeless/kid traffic and can't keep signs up).

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    My first MTB ride I found a dead guy.
    I had just bought my first mt bike [1989 Fuji] and drove straight to a park that had some trails, in Tempe AZ. Rode around Papago Park for awhile, and while headed back to the parking lot found some little hills to climb. Going up one I saw a gray lump off to the side, so on the way down stopped to take a look. Got off the bike, and saw what looked to be a homeless guy curled up sleeping.
    Homeless not uncommon in the area, but wanted to see if he ok. I yelled, no movement. I yelled louder, still nothing. I took a stick and gave him a little poke. Uh oh. Very stiff, looked closer at his face. That's all I needed to see. No cell phones back then, so rode to a Walgreens payphone, called 911. They told me to wait in the parking lot and guide them to the guy. Rode back, and the fire truck wasn't far behind me.
    Took them to the guy, by the time we got there a hiker had also found him. A cop asked both of us to wait around in case they had any questions. After about an hour the cop came up to us, said we free to go. I asked what happened, the cop said he probably died of exposure [cold nights, it was November] and nothing criminal. Poor guy.

Bikesexual
    Wow! Unforgettable!

My first ride? I threw up as if I had seen a dead guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by bbpathfinder View Post
    My first MTB ride I found a dead guy.
    I had just bought my first mt bike [1989 Fuji] and drove straight to a park that had some trails, in Tempe AZ. Rode around Papago Park for awhile, and while headed back to the parking lot found some little hills to climb. Going up one I saw a gray lump off to the side, so on the way down stopped to take a look. Got off the bike, and saw what looked to be a homeless guy curled up sleeping.
    Homeless not uncommon in the area, but wanted to see if he ok. I yelled, no movement. I yelled louder, still nothing. I took a stick and gave him a little poke. Uh oh. Very stiff, looked closer at his face. That's all I needed to see. No cell phones back then, so rode to a Walgreens payphone, called 911. They told me to wait in the parking lot and guide them to the guy. Rode back, and the fire truck wasn't far behind me.
    Took them to the guy, by the time we got there a hiker had also found him. A cop asked both of us to wait around in case they had any questions. After about an hour the cop came up to us, said we free to go. I asked what happened, the cop said he probably died of exposure [cold nights, it was November] and nothing criminal. Poor guy.
    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

The perfessor
    - back in 1989, I went on a six-mile ride illegally on Red Top Mt. here in GA.......it was actually an awesome trail but we had to be careful not to get caught by the park rangers....the bike I used was a Schwinn, my brother's hand-me-down after he bought a Specialized Stumpjumper (I would later move up to my own bike, an REI Novara Arriba)......good times for sure.........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL / Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    First real ride was in 93', some buddies took me to the Hermosa Creek trail in Durango.

I fell, I cramped, I destroyed a no name fork on an old Fuji bike.

I was hooked.

mtbr member
    My first trail ride was with my brother in October of 1999. I had just gotten back from two years of contract work in the Middle East.
    My brother had just bought a used rigid Stumpjumper and I went to the LBS and bought a brand spanking new rigid Rockhopper for $326.
    We rode 14 miles at Oak Mountain. It kicked my butt, but we had so much fun

We were so drained and tired afterwards we both gorged on all you eat salad at Shoneys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    1988 on my Trek that had an oval chain ring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My first ride was last May. I had a mtb (specialized RH 26 with rim breaks) for several years but was too chicken (or fat) to try it. I finally decided to get off my fat ass and try it. Went out to my local trail by myself and rode 3 miles. Huffing and puffing. Sweating like a . Running into trees, falling off obstacles. Did I mention huffing, puffing and sweating?

Loved every second of it. Joined a weekly group ride for beginners the next week and have never looked back. Upgraded my bike this spring. Ride 3-4 times a week now and am less fat. Still huff and puff though

Your First Trail Ride-img_4090.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fat guy on Fat tires

Professional Crastinator
    Since this isn't in the "Beginner" section I am harkening back a bit, but it is great stoke to hear new riders getting into the sport!

Lots of "first" trail rides.

1st MTB ride ~1990 progressed from laps around the city park to "real" trails that the guys at the LBS gave us maps for. Eventually, we found ourselves off the maps and all over N. GA.

1st trail ride ever was in about 1979 on my old banana seat bike. Best part was the run down to the creek. High or low, it took a lot of speed to make it all the way across so we would hit it going pretty much as fast as we could go. We soon learned that water and erosion moves rocks, makes unseen holes, and makes mud traps that can catch a motorcycle. Great times!

Rode those same trails in about 1991 on MTBs. Soooo much fun riding the "big boy" trails after sticking to the easier stuff as kids.

1st trail ride all alone...

1st snow trail ride...

1st fatbike trail ride...

1st tandem MTB trail ride...

1st trail ride with the kid...

Who woulda thunk what would come out of that first bike?

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I started out on a local walking trail that was gravel. That was in the mid 90s, and Ive been riding ever since...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Started a new job and my new friends took me riding after I bought my first bike in 2002 and they made me throw up a lot.