XC Race Question posted to the Passion Forum because there is no XC Race Forum- Mtbr.com
    Preemptive Revenger

XC Race Question (posted to the Passion Forum because there is no XC Race Forum)

Hey Racers -

How do you all balance rest vs. "heavy legs" when approaching an important race? If you rest too much, you'll have dead legs, right? If you don't rest enough, you'll be tired, correct? So what's your routine for the week before?

As an aside, last week I was off the bike for 5 days (not planned of course) before Saturday's race...how would that affect your race?

Thanks in advance

PS - sorry to bother all of you non-racing passionites; blame it on Queen RT, Sportsman, and Forkboy.
    Last edited by rapwithtom; 06-06-2005 at 02:01 PM.
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    Hey Racers -

How do you all balance rest vs. "heavy legs" when approaching an important race? If you rest to much, you'll have dead legs, right? If you don't rest enough, you'll be tired, correct? So what's your routine for the week before?

As an aside, last week I was off the bike for 5 days (not planned of course) before Saturday's race...how would that affect your race?

Thanks in advance

PS - sorry to bother all of you non-racing passionites; blame it on Queen RT, Sportsman, and Forkboy.
    LOL. ok, here's my answer: last week i also took essentially 5 days off the bike before racing. my legs felt great but the rest of me felt like a$$.

my normal week before a race schedule is:
    long ride sunday (or race)
    recovery ride mon (or grocery shop & laundry)
    group ride w/ intensity tues
    another intensity ride wed
    easy spin or yoga thurs
    off on fri
    preride easy sat

however, my results have not exactly been stellar thusfar so i dont know how much weight you should put on that schedule!

i think the master of all expert racing glenzx should be the ultimate authority on this.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

the cool nerd
    I defer to her highness, and Glenzx, but...

5 days off prior to a race would have me completely psyched out about the race. For a weekend race, I'd ride a couple of hours moderate on Monday, hard effort/intervals on Tuesday, couple of moderate hours on wednesday.

If the race is on Sunday, then I'd do a good tempo ride on Thursday, day off or easy recoveryish ride on Friday, easy ride or preride on Saturday with a few short, controlled but hard efforts.

If the race is Saturday, then a very easy day on Thursday with preride/easy ride and short, controlled, hard efforts on Friday.

5 days off would give me deader legs than a hard week. This is a typical pre-race week for me, if I'm feeling really tired and dragging, I'll take the day 2 days before the race completely off. I try to never take the day before a race off.

Your week before a race should also reflect your average training week. If you don't typically ride 7 times in a week, then don't increase the number of workouts in the week before a race.

I should also mention, if I'm serious about the race, then most of the rides in the week prior are roadie rides.

again, if rt or glenzx (or anyone else for that matter) disagrees with the above regimen, I'd defer to them

Linoleum Knife
    I think this belongs in the "Riding and Training Techniques" forum....

~Forkboy - bustin your balls

mtbr member
    Hey Racers -

How do you all balance rest vs. "heavy legs" when approaching an important race? If you rest too much, you'll have dead legs, right? If you don't rest enough, you'll be tired, correct? So what's your routine for the week before?

Thanks in advance

Tom this question would really be more appropriate for the XC Racing Forum, OH, there is no XC Racing forum, ...YET!
    The most important thing the week of the race is to be recovered!! Having said that here is my pre race week routine
    Monday Rest Day
    Tuesday 1:30 easy pace with 3 , 20 second sprints
    Wednesday 2:00 Easy
    Thursday 2:30 moderate pace with 3 interval 10 minutes long in Zone 4 ( below race pace)
    Friday Rest Day
    Saturday 1:30 easy pace with a few very short (under a minuete) hard efforts to open up the leggs
    Sunday RACE!
    In the past I would do much harder and longer intervals the day before a race to " get my body ready for the pain" My new coach told I was totally overdoing it and I'm an idiot
    This new easier approach has worked much better for me
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Tom this question would really be more appropriate for the XC Racing Forum, OH, there is no XC Racing forum, ...YET!
    The most important thing the week of the race is to be recovered!! Having said that here is my pre race week routine
    Monday Rest Day
    Tuesday 1:30 easy pace with 3 , 20 second sprints
    Wednesday 2:00 Easy
    Thursday 2:30 moderate pace with 3 interval 10 minutes long in Zone 4 ( below race pace)
    Friday Rest Day
    Saturday 1:30 easy pace with a few very short (under a minuete) hard efforts to open up the leggs
    Sunday RACE!
    In the past I would do much harder and longer intervals the day before a race to " get my body ready for the pain" My new coach told I was totally overdoing it and I'm an idiot
    This new easier approach has worked much better for me
    Mine's very similar to Merlin's!

5 days off entirely would be too much before a race. If you had ridden the 1 - 1.5 hrs. mellow before the race, with a few quick hard efforts, it would have likely helped. Some.

The week before a very important race would have pretty easy workouts, but the week before a "B" race would have some hard stuff in it, but 2 days before the race is alomost ALWAYS a rest day! I've fond I can go pretty hard the tues/weds. before a race weekend, as long as I ease up as described.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

ballbuster

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    recovery ride mon (or grocery shop & laundry)
    You do laundry on your bike? Dang, I'll bet that is a sight! You with a giant sack -o- laundry on your back pedaling down the street.

i worship Mr T

actually...

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    You do laundry on your bike? Dang, I'll bet that is a sight! You with a giant sack -o- laundry on your back pedaling down the street.
    i have my wash machine hooked up to my trainer so i can get my work out in while doing laundry.

or NOT!!

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Hey Racers -

Thanks in advance

check the riding and training forum. I believe this exact question was asked over there a while back.

May 2004
    Somewhat old thread.. but.. my pre race week schedule is pretty much the same. Most of my races are on saturday, but i'll just move everything ahead one day

Sunday - Race
    Monday - 1:00, light ride, no hard bursts, higher cadence (100-110). Flows the blood through your muscles helping recovery
    Tuesday - 2:00, still pretty light except with some sprints/hard hills, normal cadence
    Wednesday - 2-3:00, Individual timed time trial (~30mins long), some sprints otherwise
    Thursday - 3:00, moderately hard pace, longer sustained pushes
    Friday - 3-4:00, hard intervals (zone 4-5)
    Saturday - 15-20min on trainer, same idea as monday
    Sunday - Race

Keep in mind, i'm 15 years old and therefore dont have as strenuous of a work week (school and part time job in summer) so riding 15hours/week isnt always possible for everyone.. my schedule varies a lot, but that's what it looks like during July/August when i'm peaking.