pedalhead

Worst Trailmarker Ever? (New Jersey content)

While riding one of my favorite trails in the great state of New Jersey yesterday, I noticed that one of my regular trails had been given some new Trailmarkers.

The Markers were plates stapled to trees. As I got closer to one of them I noticed that not only were they plates - but they were styrofoam plates.

I couldn't believe my eyes. I took one down off the tree and placed it in my pack. I really hope that the person/people responsible for putting these up go back and take down every single one of them.

Remember Earth Day - it was less than a month ago and some people have already forgotten about it. I'm far from a vegetarian earth loving hippy, but come on - use a little common sense and don't use styrofoam plates in the middle of a State Park..

This is a cross post from NJ Forum - Where I am stil waiting for someone to take responsibility.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=414086

Thanks for letting me rant..

- factotum -
    Today I was riding some fine trails in New Jersey. Since I am not familiar with the trail I had to look out for markers. Guess what: One was missing and it took me three hours to find my way out!

bike dork
    Are you sure they were for MTBers? We see those around here (RI) on occasion in a local State Park, they're used by geocachers for some reason or another...
    Full disclosure; I sell and repair bikes for a living: http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

pedalhead
    Ringwood? What was going on there this weekend?

For the record, the trail marker that I removed was hanging off the tree by a thread - and there was one visible on the other side of the trail.

I didn't want to be riding there 8 years from now and still see the styrofoam plate in the woods somewhere.
    Last edited by fakebeave; 05-19-2008 at 01:08 PM.

blet drive
    that is a great idea better than carving in the trees
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

pedalhead
    Pooh Bear -

What were the trailmarkers for???

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by fakebeave
    Remember Earth Day - it was less than a month ago and some people have already forgotten about it. I'm far from a vegetarian earth loving hippy, but come on....
    Says the guy with the Tie Dye Phish avatar...

For the record, the trail marker that I removed was hanging off the tree by a thread
    I thought it was a staple?

Perhaps they were temporary signage for some sort of even that was going to happen? We get people tearing down race markers all the time.

You only took one down? That's almost like making a difference.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy

You only took one down? That's almost like making a difference.

LOL

I thought that they last for eons was suppose to be a *postive* feature for a trail sign.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Pooh Bear -

I may be way off base here but probably for marking the trail.

pedalhead
    Wow, totally not the responses I thought I would get here.

If every one of us brought out one piece of trash from a STATE PARK everytime we went riding ... eh. Flame on.

I'll be in Moab this weekend. Should I bring some styrofoam plates with me so I can properly mark up Slickrock and Porcupine Rim? I think someone would have a problem if they saw them on these trails.

"Don't Jersey our State Parks."

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Well.. are those markers any worse or better than colorful ribbon tied around trees?
    ~ it's all good ~

is buachail foighneach me
    the reason you're not getting the response you're looking for is that, based on what you said, this is the first time you've seen them there. it would be a reasonable assumption that someone put them up for a specific event and intended to/probably did take them back down afterwards. if they removed them once the event is over, i really don't see the problem.

-fellow nj resident.

pedalhead
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    Well.. are those markers any worse or better than colorful ribbon tied around trees?
    Yes they are much worse than that.

How long does it take StyrofoamŪ to decompose?
    a.) 10 years
    b.) 100 years
    c.) It will never decompose

Answer = c.) It will never decompose.

My issue here is not that someone marked a trail with plates. But, to use STYROFOAM plates in a State Park just seems a little irresponsible to me. I hope that whoever was in charge of marking these trails has already gone back through and taken them all down and disposed of them properly. Or more likely, I will see them the next time I am back there. I hope I am wrong.

Still waiting for someone to tell me what event was being held there.

pedalhead
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    the reason you're not getting the response you're looking for is that, based on what you said, this is the first time you've seen them there. it would be a reasonable assumption that someone put them up for a specific event and intended to/probably did take them back down afterwards. if they removed them once the event is over, i really don't see the problem.

-fellow nj resident.
    I hope you are right.

Bear

Your logic is horrible....

Would rather see a paper plate used and then need to be replaced everytime it gets wet/rains? Over the course of a few years I'd rather see one styro plate on a tree than 30 or forty paper ones used due to replacement. You are making mountains out of molehills.......move on.

mtbr member
    Funny, I was thinking a dead body as the trail marker.... too many episodes of Sopranos I suppose.

OP, did you check with the local state park authority? It may have been a sanctioned event in which case if the responsible party did not remove the markers the park authority can charge the event coordinator and would be responsible. You could also think about joining IMBA and your local Advocacy group and do a clean up day at your park. They happen all the time.

Linoleum Knife
    Still waiting for someone to tell me what event was being held there.
    Why don't you attempt to contact the management of the National Park instead of looking for guidance on an internet MTB forum. A lot more people in this world Don't read MTBR, than do.

It's not trash - It's markers that someone went to a lot of trouble to put up. You don't even know why they are there, yet you're tearing them down.

the unvarnished nonsense

I'll be in Moab this weekend. Should I bring some styrofoam plates with me so I can properly mark up Slickrock and Porcupine Rim?
    You'll need one heckuva stapler to drive the staples into the slickrock.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

squish is good
    I hope you are right.
    I'm sure Sean is. I see this all the time for local hikers and 4-wheeling groups. They always take them down after they are done doing their thing. Relax, it's okay.
    Bike good, work bad.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Around here they usually put a pop bottle stuck on a branch as a marker. I see them all the time in the National Forest and if you go off the road just a little, chances are that you'll find a trail.

- factotum -
    Pooh Bear -

What do you think?
    Marking the trail, I guess. Not sure though. Maybe for taking them with you.

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004

Lunch breaks

They're probably there in case anyone wants to have an impromptu picnic and forgot to bring a plate.

I know I don't like to get crumbs on the ground when I'm eating my powerbar.
    My Artwork

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

"El Whatever"
    That's why here in Mexico we don't use any...

Better know the trail or carry a GPS.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

I'll be in Moab this weekend. Should I bring some styrofoam plates with me so I can properly mark up Slickrock and Porcupine Rim? I think someone would have a problem if they saw them on these trails.
    Bring the ramset - as a staple gun is unlikely to drive the necessary fastner into the rock in Moab to hold your Styrofoam Plate markers in place...

FWIW Styrofoam is 100% recycleable, and does in fact break down over time - so while it might seem like it lasts 'forever' to a creature that has a max lifespan of about 100 years (us) - it will break down in time - especially exposed to air and sunlight - as it would doing trail marking duties.

Anyhow - Earth day is like Mothers Day - a stupid marketing ploy. Everyday is 'earth day'. It's not like we get to go hang out on Mars every few days, and need to differentiate just where we may 'be'.

Anyhow - report back after Moab whoops yer butt, and let us know if Ringwood has been properly cleansed of the evil plates! BTW - Ringwood was a pretty fun little spot as I recall it from my old NYC days. Hope it's doing well.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Bring the ramset - as a staple gun is unlikely to drive the necessary fastner into the rock in Moab to hold your Styrofoam Plate markers in place...
    Two words fer ya... Duct Tape.
    Check my Site

Members who have read this thread: 0