Worse crash ever- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388

    Worse crash ever

    Yesterday I was leading a beginner ride through one of our local trails here ...I have lead this ride a lot in the past several weeks to get people into ridng.
    There are a built in set of stairs that I ride the stringer of all the time... one side if you go off its about 4 feet down, the other, just the stairs no big deal.
    Well today I approach same as usual, and I get on it, almost to the bottom and my front wheel caught the edge heading to the stairs side... then it threw the front wheel over to the other side I went over the bars on the stairs side... these stairs are made of 6x6 pine beams, and I did a face plant on the beams on the way down... my upper lip is cut in three places that I can see, inside my lips is cut in two places, I have road rash on my right arm, right leg and both hands. When I got up off the ground, I felt big chunks of a hard substance in my mouth and thought I had busted all my teeth to $hit... it was friggin gravel
    the cuts on top of my nose were from the visor on my helmet.... My lips are so swollen i can't really open my mouth all that well... this morning I got up, with a brutal nights sleep, and my right arm is so sore i can barely lift it, and also can barely turn my head from my neck being sore.
    I also have rug burn under my chin from the helmet strap, which under my chin has more swelling then in the pics. Both thigh muslces are really hurting from smacking into the bars.
    But luckily I had a helmet on or I probably wouldn't be coherent at all. The front of my helmet has massive dents in it and a couple puctures from hitting the beam... I am thankful it isn't my head.
    I wanted to go ride today but everytime I laugh my face starts to crack LOL so I am better off staying home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    153
    Wow I'm glad you're ok. Post up a pic of your helmet. I'm trying to picture how the visor cut your nose. Makes me wonder if we are better off without the visors.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by eastspur
    Wow I'm glad you're ok. Post up a pic of your helmet. I'm trying to picture how the visor cut your nose. Makes me wonder if we are better off without the visors.
    as requested... when I hit the ground I guess it pushed the visor down which at that point sliced the top of my nose
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    94
    uhmm owe, defiantly glad it didn't jack your teeth up. Talk about a nightmare.

  5. #5
    I'll take you there.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    366
    omg dude, tell me you sough some medical attention.
    Be excellent to each other.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red
    omg dude, tell me you sough some medical attention.
    oh yeah I gave it a lot of attention when I got home LOL
    No worries I havbe had worse wounds ( not on my face though) and dealt with it myself...
    I cleaned it well and put polysporin on it it looks worse today but feels better.. my lips is still swollen but at least it isn't as numb. Luckily I'm a fairly quick healer

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Francine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    305

    My crash from July 4 2008

    Don't feel so bad Have been riding for quite a few months now, but never returned to the trail that I got hurt on. I returned there yesterday for my "one year annivesary".
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Francine
    Don't feel so bad Have been riding for quite a few months now, but never returned to the trail that I got hurt on. I returned there yesterday for my "one year annivesary".
    THat's nasty!!!
    I'm total opposite of you. a soon as I ca nsmile witout my face cracking, I'm going back there to the stairs stringer and ride it... it isnt going to win this time.Am I stubborn>>. oh hell yeah LOL IF i know I wouldn't bleed all over my bike I would go and kick it in the a$$ today.

  9. #9
    Underskilled
    Reputation: CaveGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,328
    Hmmm looks painfull,

    Last time I went riding with my best friend after loosing control in a rock garden he skidded off the bike, wouldn't have been that bad apart from the spike he landed on.
    It entered front of right 'love handle' sliced through and out the back shattering his pelvis into 4 pieces on the way through. Needles to say that bled FAST.

    Thankfully due to my wife's air ambulance trip a few weeks before I now carry a first aid kit and could slow the bleeding alot.

    The lucky thing is, he went down 300m from mountain rescue HQ.

    First aid kits are very important, especially emergency dresssings to slow bleeding.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Hmmm looks painfull,

    Last time I went riding with my best friend after loosing control in a rock garden he skidded off the bike, wouldn't have been that bad apart from the spike he landed on.
    It entered front of right 'love handle' sliced through and out the back shattering his pelvis into 4 pieces on the way through. Needles to say that bled FAST.

    Thankfully due to my wife's air ambulance trip a few weeks before I now carry a first aid kit and could slow the bleeding alot.

    The lucky thing is, he went down 300m from mountain rescue HQ.

    First aid kits are very important, especially emergency dresssings to slow bleeding.
    yup gonna get one now...i wear a headrag all the time because of no hair on top of my head it helps keep the sweat out of my eyes... luckily for that, i soaked it in water from my camelback and wrapped it around my face so it doesnt dry out too quickl and can clean it properly when I got home...cleaning it is painful... when someone else is doing it it hurts more though.

  11. #11
    Front Range XC
    Reputation: mcdelroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    180
    Before I realized how slick wet pavement can be I hit the deck riding down Lookout Mountain in Golden, CO....d*mned bike slide out from underneath me. Looking at the pictures today they don't seem too bad. The pain didn't set in until I got home. The road rash hurt like h*ll to clean and kept sticking to my cloths for a month.

    Mcdelroy
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdelroy
    Before I realized how slick wet pavement can be I hit the deck riding down Lookout Mountain in Golden, CO....d*mned bike slide out from underneath me. Looking at the pictures today they don't seem too bad. The pain didn't set in until I got home. The road rash hurt like h*ll to clean and kept sticking to my cloths for a month.

    Mcdelroy
    yeah road rash hurts more then cuts for sure... I know cleaning road rash is harsh....luckily most of my wounds are cuts whic i can live with... I know it will leave scars but whatever... prefer scars then a split skull

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    Fleshwounds.

    Sucks, but far from "worst crash ever", like that guy who posted here a few years back that faceplanted in a ditch, fracturing his skull in four places, leaving an M shaped scare in his face, and recovery with a tube in his forehead.

    "Worst crash ever" is a term more of us should take seriously, considering we are around death more than we think out there.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Fleshwounds.

    Sucks, but far from "worst crash ever", like that guy who posted here a few years back that faceplanted in a ditch, fracturing his skull in four places, leaving an M shaped scare in his face, and recovery with a tube in his forehead.

    "Worst crash ever" is a term more of us should take seriously, considering we are around death more than we think out there.
    yeah I will never forget that guy ...What I meant was worse crash ever for me... should've titled it that ...my apologies for the misunderstading.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    681
    You gave a good show for the 'beginners' on your ride, eh? Bet they're just a little intimidated by MTB now. "Hey guys, watch this!"

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi
    You gave a good show for the 'beginners' on your ride, eh? Bet they're just a little intimidated by MTB now. "Hey guys, watch this!"
    Well no I didnt say" hey guys watch this" as they were behind me about two bike lengths.
    AS I said, I do this ride constantly and rode the same stairs stringer all the time... all it takes is on screw up and there you have it... and no they are not intimidated... but they do know now what not to do .

  17. #17
    Front Range XC
    Reputation: mcdelroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    180
    Heal up and get on that bike soon bro.

    Mcdelroy

  18. #18
    nOOb
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    418
    Doesn't look too bad, you can walk and talk and you'll heal, that's the main thing. I crashed pretty good three weeks ago, the knee wound is still weeping and healing, but I'm riding again.
    I was thinking a couple days ago while riding how much worse it could have been. If you're trail is anything like ours, you can get pretty messed up. Our trail takes us down a rocky roller coaster type descent at about 35 mph with slight turns just inches away from trees which probably won't move if you hit them. A local rider was riding that descent when some hikers walked right in front of him from the woods. He hit the brakes, and the next thing he remembers is waking up 15 minutes later. Spent 4 days in the hospital with all sorts of broken things.
    It's a dangerous pastime we indulge in, be careful out there!

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    94
    After reading this and going to work i seen a ambulance stopped with the lights on, on one of our green way trails thinking of this thread. It not being hot out made me think it was pretty nasty. Be careful out their!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,747
    Do you have a "passion" for crashin'?

    Or is "Rider down, injuries and recovery" material?
    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  21. #21
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,934
    Consider a full face helmet.

  22. #22

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Do you have a "passion" for crashin'?

    Or is "Rider down, injuries and recovery" material?
    More attention in this forum?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Do you have a "passion" for crashin'?

    Or is "Rider down, injuries and recovery" material?
    I Didn't notice the other forum on here.... myt apologies.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    More attention in this forum?
    as I said... didnt know there was a "show me your carnage" forum.
    I think I spend more time apologizing for writing the wrong things in here and putting them in the wrong forums then anyhting else... seems a lot of people are on the friggin rag around here on a constant basis.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky
    Doesn't look too bad, you can walk and talk and you'll heal, that's the main thing. I crashed pretty good three weeks ago, the knee wound is still weeping and healing, but I'm riding again.
    I was thinking a couple days ago while riding how much worse it could have been. If you're trail is anything like ours, you can get pretty messed up. Our trail takes us down a rocky roller coaster type descent at about 35 mph with slight turns just inches away from trees which probably won't move if you hit them. A local rider was riding that descent when some hikers walked right in front of him from the woods. He hit the brakes, and the next thing he remembers is waking up 15 minutes later. Spent 4 days in the hospital with all sorts of broken things.
    It's a dangerous pastime we indulge in, be careful out there!
    Actually its worse then i though. This morning I tried driving to work and couldn't move my neck to view the side mirror in my van on the passenger side and when Itried, my head would just be pounding.
    Drove to the clinic instead and just got back from xrays... got a concussion...decent one too and thats with a helmet on, and they said the jolt of hitting my head so hard has done damage to my neck muscles etc, so now i go to physio for a couple weeks

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Singlespeed McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdelroy
    Before I realized how slick wet pavement can be I hit the deck riding down Lookout Mountain in Golden, CO....d*mned bike slide out from underneath me. Looking at the pictures today they don't seem too bad. The pain didn't set in until I got home. The road rash hurt like h*ll to clean and kept sticking to my cloths for a month. Mcdelroy
    I feel your pain.I was riding to work to pick up some shtuff and an a**hole driver starts to edge in on me, as if he was trying to push me off the road. Turns out, he was. I tried to hop a curb to get away but my front wheel didn't clear and I wiped out pretty bad. I had serious road rash on my arm in 2 places, my entire shoulder basically and 2 spots on my knee.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

  27. #27
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,750

    Holy Hamburger!

    Blammo! BOF#! Boom%@#

    Glad you're (mostly) okay.

  28. #28
    mtbr Decade+
    Reputation: Biggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,545
    Wickerman, I always appreciate your posts.

    Forget the tight sphincters who don't like the title or your post's location. They should be busy turning charcoal briquettes into diamonds.

    Great post, sucks to be you for awhile.

    Take care,
    Ed

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    70
    Haha I'm always covered in injuries from jumps/trails. So far I have:
    - a big spot of dead nerves on my right elbow where I came down from about 5-7ft onto my elbow on really rocky trail (hit the ground so hard my skin literally popped).
    - a bunch of bone deep pedal bites across my shin from the other day. 2 Broken fingers from a bad logjam which have since healed.
    - A huge hard bump that used to be a wicked bruise from where i ran straight into a tree with my hip while I was bombin down a windy bit of downhill singletrack at about 25-30, then the next week I fell again hard doing trailjumps in the wet, then fell again the next week when I overshot the landing on a jump at the dirtpark and landed 7ft or so right on my face/hip (once my vision came back I jumped right back on the bike and hit the jump again, just didn't mess up) wound up with a bigger badder bruise and some wicked roadrash on my face.
    - a good bit of road rash/bruise on my right shoulder from clipping a tree the other day leaning a little bit too much into a corner (aka going too fast) yesterday.
    - pissed blood for a few days when I tried and failed to go over a log about hip height with no leadup ramp and somehow came unclipped and put my full energy that would've carried me over the log into smashing by balls into the toptube

    There have been so many other huge awesome bruises and cuts and stuff, but those are the major injuries. Luckily I've never broken anything or gotten seriously hurt, probably because I'm a big guy and therefore have football pads on all the time. Plus when im not biking i do mma.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Hollister
    Haha I'm always covered in injuries from jumps/trails. So far I have:
    - a big spot of dead nerves on my right elbow where I came down from about 5-7ft onto my elbow on really rocky trail (hit the ground so hard my skin literally popped).
    - a bunch of bone deep pedal bites across my shin from the other day. 2 Broken fingers from a bad logjam which have since healed.
    - A huge hard bump that used to be a wicked bruise from where i ran straight into a tree with my hip while I was bombin down a windy bit of downhill singletrack at about 25-30, then the next week I fell again hard doing trailjumps in the wet, then fell again the next week when I overshot the landing on a jump at the dirtpark and landed 7ft or so right on my face/hip (once my vision came back I jumped right back on the bike and hit the jump again, just didn't mess up) wound up with a bigger badder bruise and some wicked roadrash on my face.
    - a good bit of road rash/bruise on my right shoulder from clipping a tree the other day leaning a little bit too much into a corner (aka going too fast) yesterday.
    - pissed blood for a few days when I tried and failed to go over a log about hip height with no leadup ramp and somehow came unclipped and put my full energy that would've carried me over the log into smashing by balls into the toptube

    There have been so many other huge awesome bruises and cuts and stuff, but those are the major injuries. Luckily I've never broken anything or gotten seriously hurt, probably because I'm a big guy and therefore have football pads on all the time. Plus when im not biking i do mma.
    and still you haven't learned LOL

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    and still you haven't learned LOL
    meh, gotta e tough to be tough to be dumb. Besides, if you don't crash at least once every time you go out you aren't riding very hard.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Hollister
    meh, gotta e tough to be tough to be dumb. Besides, if you don't crash at least once every time you go out you aren't riding very hard.
    now that you mentioned that I did go over the bars again on Saturday but this time it was gracefully done LOL

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Fleshwounds.

    Sucks, but far from "worst crash ever", like that guy who posted here a few years back that faceplanted in a ditch, fracturing his skull in four places, leaving an M shaped scare in his face, and recovery with a tube in his forehead.

    "Worst crash ever" is a term more of us should take seriously, considering we are around death more than we think out there.
    Marzocchi ad?

  34. #34

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    No porn stars behind him, so I think it was legit.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.