EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Who needs a desert fix? I

I certainly did.

May 1: time for another Moab and Grand Junction trip. I really did not want to put another 700 miles on my snow tires, so I made an appointment to get them switched with my all-season tires on Thursday morning. This is a sure way to ensure that Boulder will be hit with a late-spring snow storm. Of course, I was sitting in the tire store watching the snow come down as I waited for my car to be finished. Pretty much eveyone in there that morning was in the same situation, and many a wry comment was exchanged about the irony of removing snow tires on a snowy day.

By the time I had everything packed, the snow had stopped in Boulder and the roads were dry. I was hoping that the temperatures in the high country would be warm enough so that the snow would not be accumulating. This sign was not exactly comforting.

thur1.jpg

The highway was actually fine until the top of Vail Pass. I encountered about 5 miles of slushy and snowpacked roads before I descended enough that the roads were merely wet. It was still cold enough for my car to have some very attractive frozen slush in the wheel wells. Grody.

thur2.jpg

The roads were dry by the halfway point and I arrived in Grand Junction without incident.

I made a relatively leisurely departure on Friday morning and headed to our favorite campsite in Moab: Group Site C at Big Bend. I, of course, had to stop and take a few photos on the way. Who could refuse the offer to purchase the "Cisco Industrial Center"? I really like Cisco, but not for its lovely architecture.

fri1.jpg

Onward, toward Moab along the "River Road". I had been feeling a little grouchy, but at the first sight of the La Sals, my cares started to melt away.

fri2.jpg

It only got better.

fri3.jpg

My friend David and I decided that a leg-stretch up Hurrah Pass was in order. What this ride lacks in technical interest it makes up in scenery. We had avian comapny at the top.

fri5.jpg

fri6.jpg

David in the foreground, Diana's truck in the background.

fri7.jpg

Then it was back to camp via the grocery store to meet up with the rest of our friends, enjoy a tasty dinner, and collapse into our tents.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

mtbr member
    Wow, great shots thanks for sharing. Your desert & mine are similar, but so different. I'll have to make it up your way one day soon.

Look out!
    Heres a shot of my desert from yesterdays 27 mile cruise in the Boise Foothills. It doesn't really compare to Moab but what the hey....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Gawd, I love the Boise area.

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Wow, great shots thanks for sharing. Your desert & mine are similar, but so different. I'll have to make it up your way one day soon.
    Truly, it's not "my" desert. Perhaps Moab owns part of me, though. I feel privileged to be able to visit it from time to time.....but yes, you should certainly go there.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

Members who have read this thread: 0