Who else like Flat bars?- Mtbr.com
    Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004

Who else like Flat bars?

Who else love their flat bars?

Every mountain bike I bought for the last 15 years, it always came with riser bars. I liked them on some of the bikes, but I don't care for them on my XC hardtail. I bought a Trek X-Calibur 7 recently and it came with a 27 low riser. For whatever reason, the handlebar didn't work for me. For the last 12 months, I ran it with different configurations but I couldn't get comfortable enough for me to delcare that I love this bike.

When I was striping down the old 26er, I decided to use the 24 Ritchey flat bar for the Trek. After a quick ride, I love it. It was not as wide but I love how it feels. The sweep feels good and I feel natural. It's been almost 6 months since I made the switch and I am on the hunt for a wider bar. I want to see if a 26 wide bar will make the different!

Anyway, who else loves flat bars? Am I the only one? And yes, I love XC hard tail too.
    Norco Threshold Single Speed
    Trek X-Calibur 7
    Bianchi San Jose with riser bar
    Trek Madone
    Kona Dew
    Tomac Taos

slow
    Me.

Who else like Flat bars?-0423181348a.jpg

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0423181348a.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	1199966
    This picture makes me want flat bars.

Slow
    Jan 2011
    Riser bars are the backwards arsed answer to the lack of high quality stems with sufficient rise and stupid short head tubes. If you can put your grips in the right spot with flat bars, bullmoose bars, dirt drop bars, widget bars, or whatever, congratulations. If you are short enough to run flat bars as a counter culture statement, I am happy for you and your stature challenged skeletal system.

- tall guy with a 10deg stem, 50mm of spacers under the stem, 50mm riser bar, and grips that are still 3 inches below the saddle

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Sounds like someone has a frame that's too small. Or riding shorts...

mtbr member
    I've got a flat bar on my XC bike...it lets me get my bar where I want it to be. I got a riser on my trail bike...it lets me get my bar to where I want it to be.

No good in rock gardens..
    I resisted riser bars for years when I rode hardtails because they were too high and I preferred a racy position.

TBH I prefer the look of a flat bar, but there aren't many properly wide ones and for the most part on a dually a low riser is the correct height for me.

Honourable mention to a flipped negative rise stem with a riser bar..... 😅
    Less isn't MOAR

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouchNJ View Post
    Riser bars are the backwards arsed answer to the lack of high quality stems with sufficient rise and stupid short head tubes. If you can put your grips in the right spot with flat bars, bullmoose bars, dirt drop bars, widget bars, or whatever, congratulations. If you are short enough to run flat bars as a counter culture statement, I am happy for you and your stature challenged skeletal system.

- tall guy with a 10deg stem, 50mm of spacers under the stem, 50mm riser bar, and grips that are still 3 inches below the saddle
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Sounds to me like he's of the variety of tall guy with a long inseam and a short torso. I know quite a few of those types. Put 'em on a frame with a low stack height, and you'll have a scenario like the above. He might need a frame size larger. But I think the critical dimension is the stack. He needs a bike with a taller stack height.

Might not be easily obtainable from most of the largest manufacturers (though bikes with tall stack are often long travel FS bikes), especially with a small budget.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Quite the feedback from "noapathy" for a post from "retrogrouchNJ".

FWIW, I do like my flat bars I'm running right now. I have a set of 15mm rise off to the side if I feel the need to swap them out.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Kinda needed risers on my 26" hardtails and IH7.3 to get the right ride position. On my 29ers I'm completely on the flat bars since I got my ROS9+ which came with the 780mm version of their flat bar. Initially I thought I'd cut down but instead liked em so much I put one on my ROS9 (which had Answer bars with only a slight rise like 10 or 15mm but "only" 720mm wide).
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

Professional Crastinator
    I wouldn't throw out riser bars just to go flat, but I do like flat bars. My go-to bike has had them forever. My other bikes all have short risers, but are set up a little differently on purpose.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouchNJ View Post
    If you are short enough to run flat bars as a counter culture statement, I am happy for you and your stature challenged skeletal system.
    I never put that into the equation on why I still prefer the flat bar and that makes lot of sense. I thought I was still a retro grouch!!.. I am 5'6" with a 29er and the 10mm rise made a big difference on how the bike handles.
    Trek X-Calibur 7
    Trek Madone
    Kona Dew
    Tomac Taos

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    Who else like Flat bars?-flat-bar.jpg
    My new Raceface Turbine 720mm Flat bar!! Can't wait to see how it preforms on the trails this weekend!
    Trek X-Calibur 7
    Trek Madone
    Kona Dew
    Tomac Taos

Slow
    Jan 2011
    I recognize the absurdity of a guy who pines for Suntour thumbshifters but complains about flat bars.

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005

Flat bars 4 life!

The stock riser bars were a bit narrow, even for my old school self. Found these Spank Oozy bars on sale and like them a lot. Looking for the perfect grips. A little bit of spacers is necessary due to the titanium plate in my wrist. I need some rise. Prefer it in spacers.Who else like Flat bars?-20180328_170921.jpg

Sneaker man
    While I prefer a flat bar, it will depend on the bike, I have one bike with a riser and it is perfect, but 2 other bikes that I have tried those bars on and they don't work (just to see the difference).
    I think flat bars look better, and they work better with bar end...

Probably more of an issue for me, I like straight bars, these bars with 9 degree or more bend, I don't like them, and finding bars with 3-5 degree bends is getting hard.

Ironically the one riser bar i have that i like, is 9 degrees...
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I like flat bars as well..... swapped out the flat bar from my oldskool 26" Mongoose.... used to also run a flat bar on a few motorcycles I've owned.

Who else like Flat bars?-goose-007.jpg