Where were you 20 years ago..... check this out !- Mtbr.com

Dec 2003

Where were you 20 years ago..... check this out !

Found this great article on the old school days of mountain biking. Hope some of the newer riders can look back to see where we were 20 years ago.

Credit goes to the Mother Earth News for printing this timeless piece in 1984.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menar...086-128-01.htm

All the best

S Jerry

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004

That's me, baby!!!

1982 Stumpjumper - check.

SR tandem stoker seatpost - check.

bullmoose bars - check.

Tomaselli trials brake levers - check.

SunTour beartrap pedals - check.

Bell Biker helmet - check.

The Stumpy is now pimped out as a townie, all the other original parts are in a box for posterity's sake. I cringe when I think about some of the stuff I used to ride on that bike. Ignorance is/was bliss!

-Eric
    Last edited by supercorsa; 05-09-2004 at 07:13 AM. Reason: forgot the lid...
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member

Yosemite

Yes, there I was hiking on a trail and down come two guys on "mountain bikes". Pioneers had it all to themselves.

www.derbyrims.com

Ross Mt. Ranier

The No-Bikes signs began to appear on Mt. Tam trails about 1985.

I knew my Large 22" 1983 Ross Mt. Rainier ($300) (hand made in Allentown, Pennsylvania) was heavy compared to my next MTB. That article shows the 18" Mt. Rainier at 31+ lbs. My next MTB '86 Trek 7000 (bonded aluminum) was 26 lbs. Very light for those days. The lowest stock granny gear ratio available then was 24/28.

My roommate worked for Gary Fisher for many years until Trek bough the brand, doing finish brazing, filing, and sanding for $5 per hour. Another roommate Erik Koski was building the Trailmaster bike with the first welded frames for mountain biking. I couldn't afford a $700 Trailmaster bike, or $1,200 Fisher.

- ray

mtbr member
    Gradeschool.. Riding a 20" bmx huffy

life is a barrel o'fun

Happy "Mother's" Day!

I used to work for Mother Earth News, up until a couple of years ago. Sold advertising space for them. Then, the publishers sold the magazine to Ogden Publishing based in Kansas, and it was either move there or lose my job. Unemployment in NYC was more appealing than employment in KS, so that was the end of that!

The editorial staff was indeed made up of bike nerds. They kept their commuter bikes in the closet, where one of them even had a recumbent stashed. They weren't as much into mountain biking per se, although they had old mtn bikes for getting around.

I'll always have a soft spot for this magazine, the original Dirt Rag!

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    Found this great article on the old school days of mountain biking. Hope some of the newer riders can look back to see where we were 20 years ago.

Credit goes to the Mother Earth News for printing this timeless piece in 1984.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menar...086-128-01.htm

All the best

S Jerry
    that was when i was just about the time i was getting involoved in biking and mtbs in particular. my friend got a raliegh elkhorn and we thought it was the coolest thing, leather shoulder strap and all.

i got a taiwan bicycle specialties TBS shasta. all i could afford. we used to drool of someones montare at an outdoors store and the occasional spotting of a specialized stumpjumper. only a couple shops sold mtbs and it was very, very limited selection.

thanks for the nostalgic read

Harrumph

Ditto on the Huffy

Mine was red and said "Huffy Racing" all over it. My first bike without training wheels. A few years down the line I remember being really envious of my neighbor's Stumpjumper....It had index shifting!!!!!
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg
    Mine was red and said "Huffy Racing" all over it. My first bike without training wheels. A few years down the line I remember being really envious of my neighbor's Stumpjumper....It had index shifting!!!!!
    Mine was black but it had been repainted. Before that I had a red bike that was built like a cruiser with 20" wheels.. broke the frame jumping it in the street.. don't remember the brand though.

Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    Found this great article on the old school days of mountain biking.
    I was busy playing until 1986, when I bought a Schwinn Sierra. It was still on the list of bikes available in 1984 and is still in the mudroom of the MFS. Uncrowded trails in the Santa Ana Mountains sure were the bomb.

Gravity Rides Everything
    seems I was concieved around the same time as mountain bikes... coincidence, I think not

USB Rep'n
    let's see, I had a Motobecane touring bike that had 18 gears (totally cutting edge). Rode that bad boy about one more year until getting my first real road bike - a gray and pink Cannondale and man did I think that was the shiznot! Little did I know Hollywood would popularize that color nearly 20 yrs later.

I also had an old Free Spirit that I'd converted into a bmx/mtb. I put on a "10 speed" saddle and some bullhorn type bars, knobby tires, and, of course, a pad set. The really sweet part was offroading that thing with a coaster brake. Those were the days for sure!

BTW, I was 16.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

paintbucket
    20 years ago I had just moved to north central Florida after having spent the previous 5 years in Colorado Springs. Masterful timing. Fortunately there was a great roadie scene in town then.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Penis Goat!
    Hmmm...20 years ago, I was in diapers, at the ripe old age of one.

Funny though, I do have a Mongoose of 1984 vintage...it's a great bike.