When sensible forestry and mountain biking diverge- Mtbr.com
    Ride More, Work Less

When sensible forestry and mountain biking diverge

Dry trails? -- check
    Warm temperature? -- check
    Time to ride? -- check
    Trail? -- what, where did the trail go?????

Today was my first real trail ride after the winter thaw. I was shocked when I arrived at the trail head to find that a big chunk of the trail system was gone. The city has been battling buckthorn (ref below) for some time but apparently they decided to pull out the heavy equipment this year. The first photo is what everything looked like. The other photo is what is left after the city "managed" the forest. Both photos were taken this morning. I just hope that the remaining trail will remain spared for a few years.

And actually, I'm fully supportive of the need for managing forests--including this one. This forest was a poorly managed, overgrown with too many small trees, and many of the trees were unhealthy from lack of sunlight. Nonetheless, I'm morning a loss of some of the only trials we have in town.

Buckthorn: Buckthorn - Invasive species: Minnesota DNR

see me rollin, they hatin
    i feel ya brother. only, in my trails, they mangled the forest and left the logs all over the ground. Lost a good chunk of the woods.

they took the bar
    you folks are just getting out of the winter thaw. I'll keep quiet then. We've got a "cold" front moving in, and expecting temps to dip into the upper 50's, low 60's. All week long it's been in the 80's, and sure as heck, the weekend comes, and this. Strong chance of rain too. So there goes the weekend ride.... I gotta hand it to you all that ride in the mud, and in the damp weather too. Nothing much like that here in AZ. Just lots of dust to scrub out from time to time.

Nice pics! I like the forest shot. Reminds when I was a kid, back in Michigan.

I hope you manage to get a ride in there.

since 4/10/2009
    so what's not sensible about mechanical removal of invasive species?

mtbr member
    Personally I see forests as a renewable energy source we should be using far more.

Ride More, Work Less
    I hold no ill will here and as I mentioned in the title, it was sensible forestry. If you are not going to have wildfires to clear the underbrush, you have to thin with a little force.

On the bright side, we now have a blank slate, so I'm hopeful that we can turn it into something better. The team that built the trail (including an Eagle scout project) saved many smaller trees so parts of this section of the trail were a little twitchy.

mtbr member

Sorry to hear that...

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    i feel ya brother. only, in my trails, they mangled the forest and left the logs all over the ground. Lost a good chunk of the woods.
    Hi Nicole,

Sorry to hear what they did to the woods in your neck of the woods. Sometimes you just gotta make lemonade out of lemons...or Red Bull Lemon Vodka cocktails...

A chainsaw and a few carpentry tools will help you and your friends turn that mess into some fun North Shore style trails. No one should be able to complain about you cutting up some trees that THEY chopped down!

Or if worse comes to worse, come visit us in Sedona...We have hundreds of miles of singletrack rideable most any day of any year!
    Last edited by Bike Doc; 03-18-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

Don't Tread on Me
    Quit whining and start riding. There are no obstacles to marking out some new (why not improved) tracks. I see no barriers, ditches, posts, fences, logs or cameras. Get busy!
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yupp! Looks like a clean slate to me!

Ride More, Work Less
    I did ride the trails and the cleared forest (where the trail was visible). It was a little adventurous but wasn't any fun ride on wood chips. The piles of trees were out of sight in the photo, but a "log pile" would be an understatement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Looks like the type of forest that should have a controled burn to clear the underbrush every few years, up here in the North east were burning is not naturally part of the ecosystem is were logging makes a real mess, I'm not opposed to sustainable forestry in any area, I don't own the property so it is really none of my business what the landowner does, its always to bad to see a nice trail covered in slash though.
    Ridin' fo' dayzz

Wheels - 11' Giant Anthem X1
    -08 Eastern Slash
    -08 Jamis Dragon

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    this stuff makes me angry.

the train keeps rollin
    Same issue here in New Hampshire, Bear Brook State Park is logged every year, the trails and ground are trashed to harvest pulp wood. It blows.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    While I am all for logging, we waste a crazy amount here, the real kicker is after it is stacked up the forest circus does not even like you to get wood from it which you would use for firewood, apparently it makes more sense to just burn it.
    Oh yea, and laws have been passed making it harder and harder to burn wood in your home. Government logic for you I guess.

mtbr member
    Around here, it's honeysuckle that's the problem. That stuff is tough to kill. Eventually the good vegetation comes back, but it looks like crap in the meantime.

Members who have read this thread: 0