Whats Your Favorite "Mountain Bike Commercial?"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Whats Your Favorite "Mountain Bike Commercial?"

In the past year there have been four commercials featuring riders on/with mountain bikes that have stood out. They were Citibank, US Army, Valtrex-Herpes, and Flomax. This is my take on them.

1. The Citibank Rewards commercial with the mountain biker going over the steep hill without a bike I liked, I never got tired of it, I guess I liked seeing another rider going down even if he didnt have a bike.

2. Flowmax-A bunch of 50+ year old guys leaving a restroom on their mountain bikes. It might have been funny if they had shown them stopping every couple of minutes on the trail to take a leak.

3. Valtrex-The guy has herpes and they are both riding full suspension bikes. What would have made the commercial interesting is if they woman had said, "I have hepes"
    and the guy said "I dont."

4. US Army Recruiting- This one I kind of didnt like because it made me feel like a little bit of a slacker like I was they guy they wanted to join the Army. They used the out of focus technique that is used in political campaign adds. The guy isnt doing anything with his life "apparently" and the camera lazily wanders over to a decent full suspension mountain bike and is out of focus. It then goes back to the subject suggesting that he could be doing something better than biking like joining the Army. Anybody else feel like joining the Army?

Any other great "mountain bike commercials?"

Chilling out
    No. 1 always makes me chuckle.

It's not really mtb, but it's off-road mostly, the one with Lance and the skinny tires boys hanging with him until he drops off and does a route thru the woods, coming out the other side solo. Me likes that one too.

and in the useless trivia area

Re No. 4 - been there done that - MTB'd my way through my entire army tenure (all 8 years) so I can safely say that "you can take it with you" - actually got my first decent mtb from an Army Post Exchange (Cannondale M600 circa 1987/88).

Fat guy on a bike
    Theres that one thats like a travelers check or credit card commercial or something, where the guy goes over the jump and drops his wallet.

I always yell at the TV that no one keeps their wallet where it could possibly fall out on a ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There's a new one with a woman getting chased on a full suspension through a city, and then jumps a draw bridge or something...and when she lands she is in spin class and takes a big swig of Propel fitness water.... The GF enjoys that one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I believe there is one advertising nevada or utah or some state as well

banned
    I don't own a TV, sorry...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    not a commercial but in "diwali" on the office Jim is riding a rigid rig with smooth tires, I had to watch a couple times to figure out it was a rig

life is a barrel o'fun
    I second the Propel fitness water ad. Could be a LOT better technically but the sweaty woman on a fat-tired bike in a grimy city environment is definitely an underrepresented target demographic.

Also like the Aleve commercial where the guy finally gets to ride "Suicide Hill" after he takes his Aleve. It's actually an old commercial come to think of it- they changed the name of "Suicide Hill" after 9/11, which was a bit much IMO.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    In the past year there have been four commercials featuring riders on/with mountain bikes that have stood out. They were Citibank, US Army, Valtrex-Herpes, and Flomax. This is my take on them.

1. The Citibank Rewards commercial with the mountain biker going over the steep hill without a bike I liked, I never got tired of it, I guess I liked seeing another rider going down even if he didnt have a bike.

2. Flowmax-A bunch of 50+ year old guys leaving a restroom on their mountain bikes. It might have been funny if they had shown them stopping every couple of minutes on the trail to take a leak.

3. Valtrex-The guy has herpes and they are both riding full suspension bikes. What would have made the commercial interesting is if they woman had said, "I have hepes"
    and the guy said "I dont."

4. US Army Recruiting- This one I kind of didnt like because it made me feel like a little bit of a slacker like I was they guy they wanted to join the Army. They used the out of focus technique that is used in political campaign adds. The guy isnt doing anything with his life "apparently" and the camera lazily wanders over to a decent full suspension mountain bike and is out of focus. It then goes back to the subject suggesting that he could be doing something better than biking like joining the Army. Anybody else feel like joining the Army?

Any other great "mountain bike commercials?"
    I think #1 is the best. Sometimes when I'm hiking and come across a nice downhill or something you could boost off of, I almost become that guy.
    #2 and #3 are pretty funny (though not intentially).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Fat guy on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanis
    hahahaha i forgot about that

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004

Number 1

is my fav...

There is one that isn't a moutain bike theme. It is acutally for the X games I think. Some dad is prepping his son for a ride without training wheels and pushes him off.....kid goes up the side of a quarter pipe and wipes out......cracks me up.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

mtbr member
    I like the new Propel Fitness Water one too. I have not seen it recently but its pretty good one.
    Looking to buy Vintage Brodies, Rocky Mountain's and steel Dekerf or Cove hardtails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That cheetah one was great, never seen that one.

No. 1 is great too, haven't seen it for awhile but I love it.

My fav. that I can remember though has to be a GT commercial circa 1994 where a guy is descending a red rocky trail on a yellow Bravado. I ended up buying the exact same bike as my first quality mtb and I thought it was cool I had one that was on tv. I think it was aired during Norba races. I also remember some of the Cannondale commercials when they advertised their Headshok, i don't remember any of the visuals but I can still hear the voice over guy saying "because it's in the head tube", anybody remember that?

Is there a web page anywhere with links to the old commercials?

So fun to watch
    (only found one GT on youtube 'Innovation that Works')

Surfin' da mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    Theres that one thats like a travelers check or credit card commercial or something, where the guy goes over the jump and drops his wallet.

I always yell at the TV that no one keeps their wallet where it could possibly fall out on a ride.

The Cheeta - "Youtube" is my fav!

Actually on Easter Sunday, two years ago, I found a wallet on the trail. Using the guy's driver license I map-quested a route to his house. His wallet was returned all credit cards and cash intact. The guy was extremely greatful. He had been going crazy all day.

Two weeks later I was rewarded with a traffic ticket of $50 because while driving home from the good deed, a toll booth (exact change only) did not except an extra amount in nickels and triggered the ticket be mailed based on my license plate number. After two court dates, hours of missed work, and cost of gas, the $50 fine was waived. I think it cost more to make the court appearances.

Members who have read this thread: 0