What is your ratio of road biking to mountain biking?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2008

What is your ratio of road biking to mountain biking?

Right now for me it is 0 to 1. I'm in the shopping process of my first road bike.

I'm never going to forget the dirt, it's just the convenience of a road bike is too appealing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Road biking is a method for me to get from point A to B where much of mine is pulling a Burley or on our city bike but I do road bike rides for fitness.

Dirt riding is a method to build smiles and it's limited by rain and juggling family, owning a business and time spent trail building.

mtbr member
    For me its a 0:1 ratio. Too many crazy drivers out there.
    This space for rent

!Vamos, flaco!
    I ride road 150 miles a week on my daily commute, so that throws it off.

On weekend rides, throughout the year, the ratio is probably 1:1 road/mountain.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Lets RIDE!
    0:1, unless you count the couple of miles I occasionally ride on pavement to get to a trail.

Jim
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    with all the trails in 100miles underwater, my ratio is 1:0. for the year it's probably like 50:1. been a rough year so far for riding offroad, plus i commute so that skews things a bit.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Probably about 1:3, as I still enjoy a road ride about once a week.

slow
    Miles, hours, or rides?

I am first and foremost a mountain biker, but find myself on the road bike for a change of pace, when the trails are muddy, or when I need to get some miles in. I probably get four or five mtb rides for every road ride, but the road rides are always for more miles.

Bike's hmmm nice
    1:3:2 as in road:mountain:barcruizer... Barcruizer is a must in NL. Wether that is road or offroad depends on the direction (to or from the bar ).

Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by merijn101
    1:3:2 as in road:mountain:barcruizer... Barcruizer is a must in NL. Wether that is road or offroad depends on the direction (to or from the bar ).
    lol. Is that entirely legal?

I wear two thongs
    No its not legal, but I'd still prefer a drunk guy riding a bike as opposed to one in a car.

For me I would say for about every 25 mountain bike rides I take I will have one road ride in there. I like how I can cover so much ground on the road bike and that there are many more roads than trails but like a previous poster said I dont like being at the whim of someone who's talking on a cell phone, fiddling with the radio knob, while trying to get around me with another car coming in the opposite lane.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Bike's hmmm nice
    Well, officialy you can be arrested for "public drunkeness" (English translation is hard to give). But the coppers don't give you a hard time as long as you are not herassing people. They'll fine you for not having lights on your bike at night, and for not having an ID on you (that's one sinds a couple of years in NL). But as long as you don't barf on their suits, they're good about the drinking....

I had many long epic rides on my barcruizer. Most memorable is the one where my buddy was riding on the backrack and my bother on the bars. The 3 of us ended up being coverd in bruizes, leaves and branches by the time we made it home .

old part timer
    It has been 4:1 lately. I spend most of my exercise time on the road bike as it is quicker and easier to get out on. Our good trails are 40 minutes away and in that time I can be at our local road hill doing repeats. (the old racer in me keeps coming back.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I road biked my FS rig the other day. It was somewhat painful...

But it started with a fun ride on an old railroad grade for about 20 or so miles, the FS allowed me to haul on it, was hitting around 25-30 in the flats. (gps at least, mileage may vary with that info)

mtbr member
    When not flodded out, 3:1 not counting errands. I have to drive about 40 min to trails, so a lot of times I just hit the local paved paths.

I've been taking my brand new 29er FS out with road tires. Not too painfull, a little loss to pedal-bob but I'm not exactly out to compete with the roadies Nobody has mocked me yet...yet

El Pollo Diablo
    usually about 5-1 Mountain to road (I don't count commuting with the roady as a ride)
    I figure thats about right, considering my bike ratio is 3-1 Mtn vs road...
    though the ratio is looking like it will change in favor of the road, between gas prices, and my getting involved a little with the local college race team.
    shaved legs in the future? Maybe, we'll see. Lord knows I look good in lycra.
    (no, seriously)

mtbr member

Well err...

no road bike as of right now and for the past 6 years...so 100% mountain bike. Have been considering a touring bike or cross bike though... just love the woods and no cars.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Jun 2005
    About 1:10 road to mtb. I ride the roadie for the endurance it offers, but really can't get right with the roads and drivers here in Atlanta. I'll ride the gaps in N. GA and some of the area centuries ... but that's about it. Dirt rules!

drunken pirate
    these days i'm averaging three road rides for each dirt ride as it is just a lot more convienent to ride out my door. i probably put in the same amount of time on each though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I am on the road bike ~200 miles (~10hours) a week and on the mountain bike for ~4 hours or whenever I get the chance. I would rather be riding off road but work doesn't agree...

I would like to bump up my time on a bike to 20 hours a week sometime this summer (hopefully that would be an expansion of the mountain bike side of things)

Apr 2008
    I only mountain bike right now, but I bought a used Felt F1 race frame a month ago. I hope to build it up so I can start road biking by next Spring. The remainder of my biking expenses this season will go to more armor.

Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crash_test_dummy
    About 1:10 road to mtb. I ride the roadie for the endurance it offers, but really can't get right with the roads and drivers here in Atlanta. I'll ride the gaps in N. GA and some of the area centuries ... but that's about it. Dirt rules!
    I feel your pain. I've got a road biking friend who goes to Tech and he says the drivers are out to kill him.

You ever go to Yellow River?

Brackish
    For me, riding road is a means of transportation to work and school but nothing else. Mountain biking is my re-creation, my passion and my motivator through the week. Long years as a messenger burned the fun out of road riding for me, now when I'm on the commute I'm all business in the city (head on a swivel sizing up every parked vehicle, intersection and doorway for trouble, constantly doing the unconscious time/speed/distance math of survival). I enjoy the exercise and it's more fun than the bus ride with a load of junkies, zombies, dealers and hookers (oh yeah, I have to take the fun route when I ride the shame train) but it's hardly an end to itself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Summer is probably 4:3 in favor of road.

Winter is probably 05:95 in heavy favor of MTB.

Spring and fall are transition, and heavily dependent on weather, mood and hours of light.

With gas prices rising, I have been riding road mostly on the weekend, as I can ride form my door and get a great ride in, versus driving 20-30 miles to singletrack. During the week, I put the bike in the car before work and ride singletrack on the way home, only having to go a few miles out of my way.

I like riding bikes....
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    For me, 80% of my riding and training is on the road. The other 20% is dirt time with the mountain bike. All of my racing is on the mountain bike, and does not figure into the above numbers. My training rides are pretty specific...so that is the reason for riding the road so much.

Plus, the views are just as good!

bi-winning
    It varies by season. In the early spring, the weather turns nice, but the trails are all mud, so all of my riding is on the road. In the summer, it is mostly MTB. In the fall, it is a mix. In the winter, it is trainer or MTB.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    almost 1:1 since i started biking to work.

Mar 2008
    Kerkovej, that's some awesome footage man. I'd love to take my bike to an area like that. I bet the air isn't too friendly up there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I had been 100% mountain bike (I am lucky enough to have a trail head within 1/3 mile of my house - and the entrance to a state park within 2 miles).

However, this weekend I bought my first road bike and did 80 miles, testing out my commute ride each day. So I am hoping to start commuting on it 3 times a week. 20 miles each way. I figure it can not hurt with gas prices and can only help for fitness on mountain biking.

Surprising how painful the steep climbs can be with no small chain ring..LOL

Members who have read this thread: 0