What is your average speed on out and bike rides?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What is your average speed on out and bike rides?

For those of you using computers, what is your average speed on out and back rides. An "out and back ride" being a ride where you finish at the same place that you started. So, for every foot that you ascend, you descend a foot. Describe your ride. Like, how long, how much road and dirt. You know, the important stuff, so we can have a picture in our mind of what your ride is like. It's really the only thing on my computer that I pay attention to. If you have pics of your computer, post them up.

Edit: By "out and back", I only mean that your ride ends at the same place that it started. So, overall there is no elevation gain or loss. It could be lolly pop shaped, it could be shaped like your wiener. It could be that you ride out and take the same route home. Not everyone rides this way. I often take a 30 mile ride and catch a ride home. Starting where you finish is the only way to fairly compare average speeds between your rides or other people's rides.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 04-11-2015 at 05:23 PM.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Obviously there is a lot of variety from day to day. But a bread and butter ride
    Time: 2hrs
    Distance 30km
    Elevation gain and loss: 1000m
    Single track: 80%.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    An "out and back ride" being a ride where you finish at the same place that you started.
    By that definition, wouldn't nearly every ride except for shuttles and many bikepacking segments be an out-and-back? Not very descriptive.

Out-and-back ACTUALLY describes a point-to-point trail that you ride each direction to finish where you started. A lollipop would be such a trail with a loop at one end. A loop would be a ride that is mostly on different trails, but you still return to the same point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    By that definition, wouldn't nearly every ride except for shuttles and many bikepacking segments be an out-and-back? Not very descriptive.
    Seems close enough to me, I consider any ride where I end up where I started that isn't an out & back a loop. More or less.

I don't have Strava or anything but if I can believe my math using time and approximate distance ~10mph is about the best I can manage, which seems kind of sad.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I tend to do ~15 mile, nearly all single loops with ~1500 ft of elevation gain most frequently. I average around 6 or 7 mph, which is considered standard for the terrain... It's damn rocky.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Most rides for me are 15-30 miles and 1500 to 5000' in gain. Today is a short one from this morning before work. Zero rest so moving time is same as ET.
    50% ST, rocky, multiple small creek crossings
    20% Fire Road
    30% Road (unusual for me)
    13.7mi Distance
    1:11:16 ET
    1,525ft Elevation Gain
    236W Avg Power
    11.6mi/h Avg Speed
    32.0mi/h Max Speed
    1,125 Calories
    Elapsed Time 1:11:20

Below is a longer ride I like to do with a little over 5000 feet in it so it tends to wear on me. It is 50% ST, 40% Fire Road, and 10% short road set

Distance: 26.52 mi
    Elevation Gain: 5,047 ft
    Calories: 2,634 C
    Time: 3:36:04
    Moving Time: 3:15:36
    Elapsed Time: 3:36:04
    Avg Moving Speed: 8.1 mph
    Max Speed: 30.7 mph
    Elevation Loss: 5,034 ft
    Min Elevation: 827 ft
    Max Elevation: 1,257 ft
    Avg Temperature: 64.6 F
    Min Temperature: 53.6 F
    Max Temperature: 77.0 F
    Last edited by trmn8er; 04-13-2015 at 07:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Most rides for me are 15-30 miles and 1500 to 5000' in gain. Today is a short one from this morning before work. Zero rest so moving time is same as ET.
    20% Fire Road
    13.7mi Distance
    1,525ft Elevation Gain
    236W Avg Power
    11.6mi/h Avg Speed
    32.0mi/h Max Speed
    1,125 Calories
    Elapsed Time1:11:20

Below is a longer ride I like to do with a little over 5000 feet in it so it tends to wear on me. It is 50% ST, 40% Fire Road, and 10% short road set

Distance:26.52 mi
    Avg Speed:7.4 mph
    Elevation Gain:5,047 ft
    Calories:2,634 C
    Time:3:36:04
    Moving Time:3:15:36
    Elapsed Time:3:36:04
    Avg Speed:7.4 mph
    Avg Moving Speed:8.1 mph
    Max Speed:30.7 mph
    Elevation Gain:5,047 ft
    Elevation Loss:5,034 ft
    Min Elevation:827 ft
    Max Elevation:1,257 ft
    Avg Temperature:64.6 F
    Min Temperature:53.6 F
    Max Temperature:77.0 F
    we didn't get the color of your lycra!?

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    we didn't get the color of your lycra!?

No lycra here. 53 year old trail rider. But if I did, it would be hot pink. ;-)

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Seems close enough to me, I consider any ride where I end up where I started that isn't an out & back a loop. More or less.

I don't have Strava or anything but if I can believe my math using time and approximate distance ~10mph is about the best I can manage, which seems kind of sad.
    Not to me. Maybe it says something more about my region, but 10 mph is my under/over speed for racing.

Almost all my rides are loops or lollipops. I find out and back depressing.

Last Thursday's ride, during my lunch break at work...

I rode 9.3 miles in 1.1 hours. Gained 1057'. The average was 8.7. This is from Strava; I lost two minutes waiting for a long light. Probably about half that ride, by miles, was asphalt. But by time, it's more like two thirds mountain biking.

Last time I raced, I rode 7.9 miles in conditions I hated. Took an hour and two minutes; 7.6 mph average. I didn't do great for me, but I wasn't last either. 552' of gain, no asphalt, and only a small portion of the course was service road. It reminded me that I need to be practicing flat and heavy trails more - nowhere to hide on that course.

MTB is really not that fast when there's no net elevation loss.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    All I know is, I've never reached 65+ mph on any non-powered bike, unlike another member here in this thread who claims to have.
    I once dreamed that I was doing about 60 and hucking 100 foot gaps on a 16" wheeled Schwinn Pixie with streamers on the handlebars, does that count?

TOP TIER LURKER
    I once dreamed that I was doing about 60 and hucking 100 foot gaps on a 16" wheeled Schwinn Pixie with streamers on the handlebars, does that count?
    Most definitely!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

the half breed devil
    i don't do out and backs very often because most of my rides involve a loop.

however, here's a screenshot of my last out and back on the SS. i think i'm actually slower on my geared HT:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is your average speed on out and bike rides?-screen-shot-2015-04-11-2.34.58-pm.jpg  

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Did 11 miles today. AVG speed, 6.5. Max speed, 28.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    20% Fire Road
    13.7mi Distance
    1,525ft Elevation Gain
    236W Avg Power
    11.6mi/h Avg Speed
    32.0mi/h Max Speed
    1,125 Calories
    Elapsed Time 1:11:20

Distance: 26.52 mi
    Avg Speed: 7.4 mph
    Calories: 2,634 C
    Time: 3:36:04
    Moving Time: 3:15:36
    Elapsed Time: 3:36:04
    Avg Speed: 7.4 mph
    Avg Moving Speed: 8.1 mph
    Max Speed: 30.7 mph
    Elevation Loss: 5,034 ft
    Min Elevation: 827 ft
    Max Elevation: 1,257 ft
    Avg Temperature: 64.6 F
    Min Temperature: 53.6 F
    Max Temperature: 77.0 F
    where do you live to get 5000 feet of elevation gain on a 26.5 mile ride?

here's a ride i did the other day in the marin headlands that was close to yours in almost everything but elevation gain:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is your average speed on out and bike rides?-screen-shot-2015-04-11-2.43.06-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So Cal. It's easy to get that much. I have the Garmin data too.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Shekky, we live/ride among the 3rd steepest mountain range in the entire state. Here, you are either going up sharply or down sharply. Flat is uncommon here.

BTW, you rode across the Golden Gate Bridge?! How cool!

mtbr member
    As fast as I can manage.
    *Not a real mountain biker

the half breed devil
    Shekky, we live/ride among the 3rd steepest mountain range in the entire state. Here, you are either going up sharply or down sharply. Flat is uncommon here.

BTW, you rode across the Golden Gate Bridge?! How cool!
    i get to ride across the bridge almost every time i go north. (don't own a car) the sunsets are awesome!

Ride More, Work Less
    Typically without fail, I end up right back where I started on rides.

Like most knuckleheads, I start fast, fad faster, suck it up, and finish strong. With running, I'm really focused on negative splits, so I run each mile progressively faster. That's probably the right thing to do with cycling if you are alone. If you are riding with a group, the goal is to stay with the group.

Basically this rambling is to say there are too many variables to compare. Fatigue, winds, elevation profile, right of ways issues, etc are more important at determining pace. There are also different goals for each ride.

Nonetheless, I had a 22 mile out and back today. Here's the screen shot of the data. As you can see, the data are too variable to make some sense.

Attachment 980518

mtbr member
    What is your average speed on out and bike rides?-uploadfromtaptalk1428804816371.jpg
    This would be a pretty normal ride for me. Without time constraints I would do a second lap or ride down the road and do a lap on another trail system. I try to get 16-25 miles each tim out.
    Avg speed on this trail is about 8mph and about 1390' of climb in that 9.5 mile loop.
    Some other trails in our area I can maintain 10-11 mph.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    2018 Santa Cruz Blur
    2015 Santa Cruz Highball
    2016 Jake The Snake

Just Ride
    Mar 2014
    I ride really fast and really slow then I repeat, but always with a big ass smile on my face.
    To have lived without passion, adventure, and thrill, is to never lived at all!!! YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

Ride More, Work Less
    For those of you using computers, what is your average speed on out and back rides. An "out and back ride" being a ride where you finish at the same place that you started. So, for every foot that you ascend, you descend a foot. Describe your ride. Like, how long, how much road and dirt. You know, the important stuff, so we can have a picture in our mind of what your ride is like. It's really the only thing on my computer that I pay attention to. If you have pics of your computer, post them up.

Edit: By "out and back", I only mean that your ride ends at the same place that it started. So, overall there is no elevation gain or loss. It could be lolly pop shaped, it could be shaped like your wiener. It could be that you ride out and take the same route home. Not everyone rides this way. I often take a 30 mile ride and catch a ride home. Starting where you finish is the only way to fairly compare average speeds between your rides or other people's rides.
    The elevation gain/loss doesn't make any sense. You can bike up a mountain on the out (which would be slow) and return back to the start all downhill (which would be fast).

Here's an example of this. Unfortunately, my garmin died on the return and you can't see the whole ride. We bike up a rails to trails to one of the long tunnels. We turned back to head to our cars.

Attachment 980552

By the way, what you are describing or wanting to discuss is called a segment in Strava-topia.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    for my regular all mountain route ( actually over two mountains and back) its like 10 average and 25 max, downhill race runs are like 23 average and around 35-40 max

mtbr member
    All of our rides are start/stop at the same spot. (Loop)

Most mountain rides are 5-9 mph, most road rides are right around 18.

Back when I was actually in shape - the same road rides were 21-23 mph!

Mountain -
    https://www.strava.com/activities/280614757
    https://www.strava.com/activities/277667755
    https://www.strava.com/activities/276012705

Road -

https://www.strava.com/activities/278225550
    https://www.strava.com/activities/281067190
    https://www.strava.com/activities/269376104

SS Pusher Man
    I tend to average about 9.8 mph on the majority of my rides....30 miles/4500-5000'.

Average could be higher if I was riding the geared bike.
    Bicycles dont have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    The elevation gain/loss doesn't make any sense. You can bike up a mountain on the out (which would be slow) and return back to the start all downhill (which would be fast).

That's the whole idea. it equals itself out so you can compare your ave. speed to another persons average speed. Im just curious what people are doing.

Ride More, Work Less
    That's the whole idea. it equals itself out so you can compare your ave. speed to another persons average speed. Im just curious what people are doing.
    Well in that case, how is this?

Attachment 980558

This is a mix of road, regular mtb, fatbiking, and trainer.

mtbr member
    ^ That's what I'm talkin' bout!

TOP TIER LURKER
    I averaged 7.6 mph this afternoon but I was in a groove and climbing like a madman.

mtbr member
    I averaged 7.6 mph this afternoon but I was in a groove and climbing like a madman.
    Seriously Hawgster?

TOP TIER LURKER
    Seriously Hawgster?
    Yes according to Garmin Connect after I uploaded the data. It was on a serious climbing ride too. Some days we just ride well, I guess. I admit that I have been riding my bottom off lately so I think I'm getting back into the groove I used to be in.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    where do you live to get 5000 feet of elevation gain on a 26.5 mile ride?

here's a ride i did the other day in the marin headlands that was close to yours in almost everything but elevation gain:
    It works out to a little less than 200' per mile.....not really that much.
    Bicycles dont have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

Ride More, Work Less
    ^ That's what I'm talkin' bout!
    it does show context is key. In the winter months, I don't have any rides at my average speed yet the average line drawn is pretty close to what the average of the trainer rides (higher speeds) and the fat bike speeds (just poking along). This is also the point of the up and down argument I was trying to make above. You can "average" a speed yet never travel it. In this case, the average isn't a meaningful summary. There's even a joke about it --

"A statistician can have his head in an oven and his feet in ice, and he will say that on average, he feels fine. "

(yes, I'm a statistician and think too much about data)

But I agree, it is fun to look at what others can do. That's why strava is used by millions of people. It is sickening to see just how fast some people are.

mtbr member
    Yes according to Garmin Connect after I uploaded the data. It was on a serious climbing ride too. Some days we just ride well, I guess. I admit that I have been riding my bottom off lately so I think I'm getting back into the groove I used to be in.
    Umm, I was thinking that's kinda slow. Maybe not.

mtbr member
    Slow, some days not as slow, some days slower.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Umm, I was thinking that's kinda slow. Maybe not.
    Total ride was:

10.57 miles
    2055' elevation gain

1899' of that elevation gain came in a 3.5 mile stretch.

Fat-tired Roadie
    For a broader average, this year I've got 695 miles in 67.8 hours. So I'm averaging 10.3 mph. That's a mix of mountain, a tiny bit of road and mixed surface, and some trainer. It's from Strava, so it's probably "cheating" for me a little bit on the road rides, and not counting stopped time.

Last year, I rode 2354 miles in 251.8 hours. So 9.34 mph. (Same Strava cheating.) I realize that also predates me using TrainerRoad, so my trainer rides show up as occasional 0-mile hours. I also think mountain biking is more heavily represented - I have a pattern of spending more time on the trainer and on the road in the winter and early spring, then pretty much only riding my mountain bike until the weather gets sucky. After the spring of 2014, I decided I wasn't going to get out my trainer until after the New Year, so when the weather turned gross in November, I just rode less. Actually I'm okay with that - I was having a pretty kickass winter and spring until my wife and I bought a house; I think part of that is that I wasn't burned out on the trainer before finishing the part of the year when I need it most.

About the only point-to-point ride I do lately is a race in May in which I get dropped off at one end, drop 20' or less over 13 miles, soft-pedal to a party, and then ride home. Actually, the ride may have net elevation gain, since I live higher than where the starting line is.

My highest average speeds come from Century rides. Seriously. It's a bunch of road miles, usually on routes with not nearly so many stop signs and intersections (I typically ride from home if it's not an event, so some city mileage) and opportunities to draft. One I did on a relatively nice day in 2012 took me 5.8 hours for 94 actual miles, though it was 5.3 hours moving - I don't feel like I have that much to prove with respect to sitting on my road bike for a really long time, so I hung out with friends I bumped into, stopped at a couple aide stations, etc. They're actually more fun that way. Pretty similar results when I did one in 2013. I meant to do a different event last year, but it got canceled.

Today's ride was 7.3 miles and 1125' in an hour. So average 6% grade I guess? It felt like going straight up the nose of a ridgeline, then straight down again. Which it pretty much was.

mtbr member
    I've hit 80km/h getting to the trail on a steep road ^^

fastest I've been on any sort of trail is 62km/h

"Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    11.9kmh today according to Strava, there was a fair bit of gravel road in there though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    MTB is really not that fast when there's no net elevation loss.

That is surprisingly true ^

Sometimes it feels like I'm absolutely flying out on the trail but the math says otherwise. ~10mph? Don't runners move nearly that fast?

Ride More, Work Less
    That is surprisingly true ^

Sometimes it feels like I'm absolutely flying out on the trail but the math says otherwise. ~10mph? Don't runners move nearly that fast?
    The fastest runners can run ~5 mi /mile. That puts them running nearly 12 mph. Basically, they are smoking us on foot.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    The fastest runners can run ~5 mi /mile. That puts them running nearly 12 mph. Basically, they are smoking us on foot.
    That's on flat land. We smoke them on flat land. They may or may not be able to smoke us on the climbs, though (probably).

mtbr member
    My last ride: One big loop

Moving Time: 1:39:03
    Avg. Speed: 6.3mph
    Max Speed: 35.8mph
    Elevation Gain: 1,769ft
    Calories: 881
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    According to my Topeak Panoram my average speed is 8 mph and the top speed is about 16 mph.

Fat-tired Roadie
    When I was in high school, I could run a six minute mile on a track. Probably not two in a row.

I do hate it when trail runners can out climb me. At least it's rare. I think there's a certain level of grade where bikes go from helpful to being an impediment. Not sure what it is, or if it's the same for everybody, though.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    According to my Topeak Panoram my average speed is 8 mph and the top speed is about 16 mph.

Sounds about average to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Seriously! You claim you went 65 mph on a mountain bike?
    I know of a few roads out in AZ where I could accomplish that. One is an interstate road that cuts through some mountains. The grade is high enough to coast my car from 65mph up to 90mph.

South mountain has a very steep road as well, same deal, high grade for enough time to gain some serious speed

Sent from my SM-N910P using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

the half breed devil
    i think i've maxed at 39 or 40 aboard my HT on a paved downhill, maybe 33 on my SS and 49 with the 'cross.

i wish there was an easy way on the free strava app to (accurately) track my top speeds on certain dirt sections.

TOP TIER LURKER
    I hit 40.0 mph on a steep paved downhill blast on my roadie.

Fat-tired Roadie
    i think i've maxed at 39 or 40 aboard my HT on a paved downhill, maybe 33 on my SS and 49 with the 'cross.

i wish there was an easy way on the free strava app to (accurately) track my top speeds on certain dirt sections.
    GPS is somewhat problematic for this.

But if they're longish, you can highlight the portion where you hit a steady max speed, and the average should be reasonably accurate.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    GPS is somewhat problematic for this.

But if they're longish, you can highlight the portion where you hit a steady max speed, and the average should be reasonably accurate.
    the only place i think i'd get a steady average is coming down mt tam on the panoramic highway.

the other spot where i think the high speeds are recorded is just too steep and short.

Ride More, Work Less
    You can use a wheel sensor if you want more accurate speeds.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I had an app for my phone called my tracks. Iirc it can do what you described

Sent from my SM-N910P using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

To see your recorded top speeds in Strava the easiest way is to open Strava in a web browser, go to the ride that you're interested in and click on the "Analysis" button on the left hand side. This brings up a graph showing your maximum and average speed for the ride.

You can either click on a Strava segment or manually drag over a section of the ride. The maximum and average speed displayed follows the selection so you can zoom in on what you're interested in.

beater
    These are pretty average for me on our local trail system, although the max speeds are a little lower- I generally top 30 at least once on the longer profile. My rides are usually in the 6-12 mile range. Anything over ~15-20 is reckoned to be a sizable local ride.

Ride More, Work Less
    I went digging through some old rides.

Fastest speed on a bike since using a garmin 50.6 mph on a road bike. This was a part of a group ride coming off a "mountain". I got in a nice tuck and stayed focused.

https://www.strava.com/activities/66220601

I think this is the fast mtb speed I've had - 40.3 mph.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/139471248

I can't say I'm responsible for any of this. Gravity did most of the work.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    To see your recorded top speeds in Strava the easiest way is to open Strava in a web browser, go to the ride that you're interested in and click on the "Analysis" button on the left hand side. This brings up a graph showing your maximum and average speed for the ride.

You can either click on a Strava segment or manually drag over a section of the ride. The maximum and average speed displayed follows the selection so you can zoom in on what you're interested in.

thanks! i remember doing this somehow...

beater
    That's on flat land. We smoke them on flat land. They may or may not be able to smoke us on the climbs, though (probably).
    IME, the average trail runner climbs faster than the average rider. But an elite rider is usually faster than all but the most elite trail runners. There was a local bet about this a few years ago [link], and the singlespeeder beat the runner by a good margin, but when it was a team effort the following year, the runners won.

One of the more popular local trails has a scheduled shuttle service, and there are usually a lot of bikes, runners, and hikers. The runners usually make the top of the 800' climb ahead of us, and then we start passing them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I usually average between 8-10 mph over an 8-13 mile ride. Our trails are pretty rocky. I haven't broken 30 mph off road on my bike yet, but I'm somewhat trying without thinking about it too much. I've maxed out at right at about 28 mph.

mtbr member
    Here's some of my times from sports-tracker:
    2,570' vertical on this one:

4,480' vertical on this one:

mtbr member
    My speeds vary a good bit. Normal is over 8mph but under 9mph when on MTB. Gravel road and single track trail climbs and single track trail descents. What is your average speed on out and bike rides?-uploadfromtaptalk1428897171800.jpgWhat is your average speed on out and bike rides?-uploadfromtaptalk1428897201245.jpg

If i ride pavement only on flat ground (on MTB) then nearly 15mph.

mtbr member
    What is your average speed on out and bike rides?-uploadfromtaptalk1428897562701.jpg
    Flat road ride on MTB.

What is your average speed on out and bike rides?-uploadfromtaptalk1428897593635.jpg
    Bigger climb road ride on MTB. Avg. speed slowed wsy down to under 10mph.

mtbr member
    Looks like you're rockin' Lil Sexy!

Looks like you're rockin' Lil Sexy!
    That's a lengthy thread above your reply. Who are you calling Lil Sexy?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I think i have reached 40mph once on pavement on MTB. I dont pay attention to top speed too much and find average speed more important. Most of the time i will be right around 30 one time during my ride.

mtbr member
    That's a lengthy thread above your reply. Who are you calling Lil Sexy?
    They were right, you are challenged. Read post 61.

mtbr member
    I knew that i should have posted one with the PR on the big sexy segment.

mtbr member
    Average ride is about 13 miles, with little or no elevation gain/loss (Florida). I do that about 3 times a week. 85% trail with 15% road connecting the trails. I average 10.6 mph on a single speed Lurcher. I am not in great shape, so clearly level terrain yields faster results than up and down, despite being able to average in downhill sections.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My average speed is, um, average? I just have a bike computer, and only look at total miles. Here in MA, trails tend to be rocky or rocky, not much double track that I ride on. Usually rides are tallied by tough sections cleaned or tough ups cleaned. Or bleeding. People keep track of this stuff when not racing? How can you compare trails and speed? Usually I compare miles and smiles.

They were right, you are challenged. Read post 61.
    Nope sorry without a quoted reply it's only a guess to who you were talking to. Especially in such a provocative manner. I was just hoping it wasn't me several posts above that.

mtbr member
    i just go warp chicken. speed is nuthin without style

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    How can you compare trails and speed?
    I'm just interested in average speed. The reason why I said rides that end where they start is because that's the most fair way to compare what people are doing. That's because on this type of ride, for every foot that you climb, you get to descend a foot, if you finish where you started. I'm not really interested in how fast people can go.

Nope sorry without a quoted reply it's only a guess to who you were talking to. Especially in such a provocative manner. I was just hoping it wasn't me several posts above that.
    Keep looking. I'm fairly certain that even you can find it. Again, it's in post 61. Which, last time I looked, wasn't your post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    My average speed is, um, average? I just have a bike computer, and only look at total miles. Here in MA, trails tend to be rocky or rocky, not much double track that I ride on. Usually rides are tallied by tough sections cleaned or tough ups cleaned. Or bleeding. People keep track of this stuff when not racing? How can you compare trails and speed? Usually I compare miles and smiles.
    every ride > stravatard
    dual warp drive chicken afterburners

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobLyman View Post
    I am not in great shape, so clearly level terrain yields faster results than up and down, despite being able to average in downhill sections.
    I'm not sure that's true. Because, if you start where you finish, for every foot that you climb, you descend a foot. So, if I'm on a ride with a lot of slow climbing, at some point, there would be fast descending. It should all average out.

beater
    I'm not sure that's true. Because, if you start where you finish, for every foot that you climb, you descend a foot. So, if I'm on a ride with a lot of slow climbing, at some point, there would be fast descending. It should all average out.
    No, not when you account for different periods of time at those varying speeds. That's why flatland rides will generally have a higher average speed than a big climb followed by a big descent. Only say ~10% might be at high speed while the rest is plodding.

Also, if you're considering a loop rather than a pure out-and-back, you generally have different gradients and lengths on the outbound or return leg.

Keep looking. I'm fairly certain that even you can find it. Again, it's in post 61. Which, last time I looked, wasn't your post.
    Nice!

mtbr member
    I'm not sure that's true. Because, if you start where you finish, forums every foot that you climb, you descend a foot. So, if I'm on a ride with a lot of slow climbing, at some point, there would be fast descending. It should all average out.
    It doesn't (usually) though, climbing takes more time than you can make up descending.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Let us look two theoretical rides:

Ride 1: 10 mile climb, 10 mile descent. I climb at 10 miles/hr and descend at 30 miles/hr. Total time for the ride is 1hr and 20 minutes.

Ride 2: 20 miles flat. I ride a 20 miles/hr. Total time for the ride 1hr.

How fast would I have to descend in ride one to average the same speed as that in ride two?
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Rod
    mtbr member
    This is from the last ride on the 30 pound rigid SS.

26.7 dis
    2,600 ft elevation gain
    11.0 avg.
    2:04 moving time.

If you're still reading, this has about 5-7 miles of road to and from the house.

Rod
    mtbr member
    The ride before.

20 miles
    10.9 avg

2k feet of elevation.

Again on the SS.

Of course the geared bike is faster, but I haven't even ridden it on the loop this year. I will and report back out of my own curiosity.
    Last edited by Rod; 04-15-2015 at 07:56 AM.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Geared bike. No pavement. Some of the same trails, but starting on the other side of the hill.

19.6 miles
    1:32 moving time
    12.7 avg
    2,500 feet climbing

beater
    I'm just interested in average speed. The reason why I said rides that end where they start is because that's the most fair way to compare what people are doing. That's because on this type of ride, for every foot that you climb, you get to descend a foot, if you finish where you started. I'm not really interested in how fast people can go.
    Fr'instance, look at the ride I did over lunch today.

Notice the part of the profile that has a very slight grade. If the whole ride had been more or less level, my average would be in the 10 mph range. And even though I started and ended at the same point, I bet my average would be higher if I rode this route in reverse - I'd be able to climb much faster because the way I rode this today has me climbing the steepest grades.

TOP TIER LURKER
    His average speed was anything but average on this day:

Frenchman breaks world mountain bike speed record - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    I checked out a few pro races and it seems like the very best riders in the world are averaging 13-14mph for 1.5 hour events, just goes to show how hard those last few mph are to achieve.

mtbr member
    I checked out a few pro races and it seems like the very best riders in the world are averaging 13-14mph for 1.5 hour events, just goes to show how hard those last few mph are to achieve.
    So true. There us even a big difference in 9.5 and 10.0 on a given trail.

mtbr member
    I'm just interested in average speed. The reason why I said rides that end where they start is because that's the most fair way to compare what people are doing. That's because on this type of ride, for every foot that you climb, you get to descend a foot, if you finish where you started. I'm not really interested in how fast people can
    Again there will be too many variables. Where i ride regularly there are several trails up and back down. If i ride the gravel and paved road up and down i can be very fast. Climb up that same amount on single track to the same hilltop and then go down the much twistier single track and i will be much slower.

This is very apparent on downhill. I can blast the gravel road to the point of hanging on the breaks for my life. I couldnt average half that speed on the single track that has a bunch of tight switchbacks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Pretty slow rides in Whistler. Lots of lung busting climbs with 20-25% grades. Descents are steep, twisty and technical for the most part. You could not ride up any of the descending trails. My averages tend to be around 7 kph.

the half breed devil
    today was a mighty dog out and back (pretty much) to bolinas ridge from san francisco on cross bikes. the ride was almost all road but we did ride a few miles of the bolinas ridge trail before we had to run back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is your average speed on out and bike rides?-screen-shot-2015-04-13-8.12.13-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Pretty slow rides in Whistler. Lots of lung busting climbs with 20-25% grades. Descents are steep, twisty and technical for the most part. You could not ride up any of the descending trails. My averages tend to be around 7 kph.
    Good to see someone else with average speeds in this range.

I'm on the extreme other end of the country but our trails definitely have similarities to yours. Lots of rocks and roots, steep and technical climbs and descents. Much less total elevation, though. A typical ride for me would include 3 or 4 total lung buster ups and an equal number of descents interspersed with varied rolling terrain in between. Everything is highly technical. My average speeds on my default ride are around 7kph as well, and the fast guys aren't much faster. The only places I ever get above 20kph are on fire road descents.

Of course, there are lots of opportunities to go fast in Whistler but they typically involve a chair lift two. Can't wait to head out there in August for both park and xc riding.

The Original Suspect
    Here's the stats on a recent longer ride. All my rides start and end at the same point, it's where I leave my car. These days I'm trying to avg 11+mph.

Distance

40.22 mi
    Distance
    Calories

2,018 C
    Calories
    Heart Rate

bpm % of Max Zones
    150 bpm
    Avg HR
    172 bpm
    Max HR
    Timing

Pace Speed
    3:30:06
    Time
    3:29:30
    Moving Time
    4:02:42
    Elapsed Time
    11.5 mph
    Avg Speed
    11.5 mph
    Avg Moving Speed
    24.1 mph
    Max Speed
    Elevation

2,251 ft
    Elev Gain
    2,264 ft
    Elev Loss
    1,820 ft
    Min Elev
    2,863 ft
    Max Elev

Professional Crastinator
    I think I am a pretty good representative of the average, mid-sport-class rider. Riding a rigid 29er with gears.

The Mohican SP MTB course is ~24 miles w/ 3500ft. vert., and not a lot of technical features (although there are a few more roots these days than in days past).

This early in the season, I will probably have trouble getting in under 3 hrs. (8mph avg.)

My PR is 2:31 (~9.6mph). <---This was an OUTSTANDING late season ride for me. I could've gone half-again at the same pace (but not much faster for a single lap - not sure how that works).

I think the big dogs have cracked 2 hrs. (it's really demoralizing ), and can turn 2 laps in ~4:10 (IIRC). When bikes still had triple chainrings, these guys stayed in the big ring the whole time.

-F

PS - a recent wind-assisted point-to-point ride on pavement on a rigid 26er with old 2.1 knobbies and flat pedals was 18.3mph avg. for 1:38 with ~1285ft gained (1245 descent).
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For me it really depends what trail I'm going. It can be 25km/h average for one loop which is about 45-50km long and has something like 1000 height meters, or it can be 14km/h average for 40km loops with around 3500 height meters.
    Primoz

mtbr member
    The Pro Men XC race at Sea Otter Classic completed 2 - 18 mile laps with 2,700' of climb per lap totaling 36 miles with a total climb of 5,400' in 2 hours! Avg speed of 18mph. Now that's insane if you ask me.

Thats fast for me on a road bike on level ground for 30 miles.