What gets you up on cold Saturday morning?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What gets you up on cold Saturday morning?

In my youth sleeping in and Saturday morning cartoons were gifts from above. Funny how you get older and things change. I used to think that getting up early on Saturday mornings was just plain crazy - lest getting up early on a COLD Saturday morning. I remember thinking as recently as a few years ago, that getting up early to ride was cause for serious mental examination.

What changed it for me? I have no idea. Now I find myself, in a strange and yet beautiful way, almost finding ways to get up early on a Saturday to ride. Although, I will admit that there are many times when I will stay in bed, there are also times when a good invitation to ride - even when it's cold - motivates the mind and stirs the soul. It doesn't even have to be a hard ride, or a long ride, or a technical ride. It could be a CX ride, or a road ride, or even ... a bike path ride. And it could be in a different state...

Such was the case this past Saturday. With the long weekend, I had lots of time to get some riding in. Beng involved in the MMBA for most of the year, I got an invite from a fellow MMBA rider, April, from down in OH. She's a very well liked and respected person within the MMBA community for her mtb advocacy activities. I've had the chance to ride with her many-a-times down at Munson Park here in MI. Seeing how she makes the trek up here to MI as many times as she does - for rides, volunteering at races, and other cycling related activities - I thought I should at least return the favor and go ride in OH whenever I could get the chance.

A chance came when I got the invite to ride with her and another Ohioan rider I met at Munson the previous Thursday, Jeff. We rode at Farnsworth Park on the Towpath trail on the shores of the Maumee river in waterville. Towpath is not technical, or hilly, or twisty. As it's name suggests, it's a bike path. But what it does offer is nice place to ride and take in some cool views.

We started at the the Roche de Boche area, right off the edges of "the old electric bridge"; an historic landmark in Waterville.

From there we rode a few miles over to our first stop at the Bend View area.

Here we took our first break. The nice thing about rides like this is that you have the chance to talk, BS, and discuss to no apparent end whatever the he// comes to mind. We talked about bikes, about life, about little family things, 24hr races, and getting together more group rides.

Did mention it was cold?

April's gonna kill me for taking that pic (sorry April)... but at least you have a feel for the temperature.

We then set off for the rest of the trip to our end destination of Grand Rapids 10mi from Roche de Boche.

There was a picnic/rest area there where we stopped ...

... and took the time to take in some scenery...

... and, of course jabbed some more...

After jabbing, we decided it was time to head back. On our way back, about midway, we stopped at Canal Ferry. This little area is a tourist spot where in the warmer months people can take a ferry tour of the area inn a canal ... hence the name - funny huh? (sorry no pics of the canal as it was dry because of the low tide).

With the abundance of free space while were there (and a little prodding from me), we got to do a little playing around in the urban environment.

April w/ the track stand...

Jeff w/ the wheelie...

There was an open area with steps so I convinced them to ride it too...

April...

Jeff... (mad skillz...)

Fun play time for sure. But as with all things, there came a time to finish up and head back...

Along the path we rode and we jabbed some more and just enjoyed the ride...

Until we reached the start...

When got back to Roche de Boche, we even did a little bike exploration. Below the edge of the road there was what looked to be a trail that lead from the main picnic/rest area to the bridge. We decided to ride out and see what was there. I didn't take any pics, b/c I was too excited at the prospect of exploring on my bike. What was there was a neat, yet very short, section of trail that included some loose rocks, uphill/downhill off-camber ridges, and tight, singletrack-like sections. A taste of what Ohio has to offer. Needless to say, I am looking forward to more trips on some of OH's trails. And that's coming from a MI guy...

Thanks for looking and have a great day!

"Life is a journey, not a destination. So stop running."
    -- Anonymous
    Randy

Part-time rider
    Sweet pics Randy. You really captured the joy of just riding the bike...singletracks or not. Thx for giving me something to smile about at the start of another long work day.

K-Zero
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

mtbr member

Coffee!

... and the fact that everyone else is still in bed and I can sit in my favorite chair and read and sip the brew.

Truth be told, I'm a warm weather person although 12 inch of fresh powder would get me up and out darned early without a complaint in the world. With cold my thoughts and heart turn to skiing.

I have to be honest. Riding in cold weather just would not do it for me. Sad, I know.

PS: Nice Post!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ?andyA
    Thanks for the passion hit. I love the early morning too for a couple of reasons. The lighting angles are better and sharper like you're the first to see them, the air seems fresher, like it hasn't been all used and breathed yet. The legs are stronger because they haven't been all used either. And because it's the best time for me to get away before house, job, and family responsiblities take over, so my mind is empty and hopeful and eager to carpe diem (or carpe velo) as BV so rightly put it. And because I know that if I don't drag myself up and get out there..... I'll wish I had.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Zero
    Sweet pics Randy. You really captured the joy of just riding the bike...singletracks or not. Thx for giving me something to smile about at the start of another long work day.

K-Zero
    Thanks for the compliment K-Z! Work sucks...
    Randy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    ... and the fact that everyone else is still in bed and I can sit in my favorite chair and read and sip the brew.

Truth be told, I'm a warm weather person although 12 inch of fresh powder would get me up and out darned early without a complaint in the world. With cold my thoughts and heart turn to skiing.

I have to be honest. Riding in cold weather just would not do it for me. Sad, I know.

PS: Nice Post!
    Totally understandable Rev.

This year I've a couple things I never I thought I would do; 1- ride in the cold/winter, 2- ride at night. I finally understand what everyone's been talking about all these years.
    Randy

mtbr member
    Thanks KRob! Carpe Diem/Velo for sure...
    Randy

Tig
    I ride, therefore I am.
    Having to pee really bad gets me up in the morning. Sorry to sound so crude, but it's the truth! I know crawling back into bed sounds comforting, but I know the sleep will be minimal and light, so what's the point? Once up, the passion of riding kicks in even if I'm dead tired. The pre-ride passion starts a day or two in advance thanks to anticipation. Missing a ride is harder than a difficult ride itself, no matter how painful or miserable it is. Not riding lets the cranky inner beast come out. Riding places the mind, body, and soul in a serene, peaceful state.

Wow, you took some really nice photos. Any ride that doesn't involve broken bones is a great ride. The simple act of riding a bike has powerful rejuvenating qualities. That is a part of the passion!

The early bird gets the worm,
    but the second mouse gets the cheese.

mtbr member

Night riding is beginning to intrigue me.

I am just afraid that I would invest $300 or so in decent equipment and not use it. Prehaps my next major expenditure will be a custom road frame. But, than again, maybe not.

I know none of my usual riding partners would join me and even though I enjoy riding solo, prehaps doing so at night is not the smartest thing. Besides, every park around here closes at sun down.

I am getting a pair of cold weather riding pants from my mother for Christmas and picked up a warm jacket from her for my birthday so maybe there will be more winter rides. Just waiting for the new disc wheelset for the hardtail so I can be all set to not only ride in snow but to also stop in snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    I am just afraid that I would invest $300 or so in decent equipment and not use it. Prehaps my next major expenditure will be a custom road frame. But, than again, maybe not.

I know none of my usual riding partners would join me and even though I enjoy riding solo, prehaps doing so at night is not the smartest thing. Besides, every park around here closes at sun down.

I am getting a pair of cold weather riding pants from my mother for Christmas and picked up a warm jacket from her for my birthday so maybe there will be more winter rides. Just waiting for the new disc wheelset for the hardtail so I can be all set to not only ride in snow but to also stop in snow.
    Much like you, the biggest thing for me was the cost of a decent light. I was very fortunate to get a hold of a very good NR Storm HID on clearance. I always knew there would be people to ride with. Being here in MI, and riding with many of the people in the MMBA all summer, there was plenty of cool people to ride with. Hope things work out for you Rev.
    Randy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Having to pee really bad gets me up in the morning.
    HA! That gets me too! LOL!!!!

Thanks for the compliment.
    Randy

Rolling
    Nice stuff...

mtbr member

hey that's home!

I grew up about 10 miles from those shots on the other side of the river. Not much singletrack, but that river is a really nice feature of the area. I had about a 20 mile loop worked out with as much of the little bits of single track in the area as possible in it. You'd be suprised, there is some pretty fun stuff. I know of some hidden woop-de-doos in a park in Maumee, that are great.
    There is a larger singletrack loop (7 miles ?) out in napoleon (about 20 miles west of where you were) that some guys built a couple years ago. Its pretty cool, small hills, a stream crossing, (the trail can be REAL muddy) didn't get to ride it much, as I had moved by then. You should check it out next time you go to OH. -t

edit: Oh ya, I know all about those great MI trails. When I bought a car, and became more into training on a Mt bike, I drove up to Poto and Highland and Pontiac lake all the time. Michigan has some really nice trails. Thank god for good gas mileage. -t

Sofa King We Todd Did

I love this thread

I've always known that I can't be the only who gets up at the crack of dawn on Saturdays and Sundays to go out riding. This thread just puts a face to the other mental patients out there.

What gets me up on a cold Saturday morning?

Quite simply, my son. He's about 5 months old now, and he's typically asleep when I wake up at 6am on Saturdays and Sundays. But I get up at that hour so that I can go for my ride. That way he'll be up when I get home and we have the rest of the day to spend together.

I'm up diligently at 6am unless it's pissing rain out. Nothing I abhor more than the rain (and this comes after living in London for two years!) I quickly change, grab some coffee and some breakfast and I'm out to door by 6:30, 6:45. That's when daylight breaks. I'm out the door and riding through town to reach the bike path that runs along the Long Island Sound heading down to the Bronx. I keep a steady pace 'cause this is the build-up to the fun part. This isn't the fun part yet.

I ride by some horrendously smelly horse stables, turn left towards Orchard Beach. At this point, I'm starting to get really excited about the fun part. I go off the bike path and take this offroad shortcut to reach the beach faster. Nice and rocky uphill, fast but not so steep downhill. I take a rest when I reach the beach. I like watching the water, and at that hour, it's quiet and there's hardly anyone around.

Here comes the fun bit. I leave the beach and duck into a nature reserve called Hunter Island. Not really an island 'cause it's attached to the mainland, more of a peninsula forest. It's a bit of a maze in here. Trails that lead into each other, multiple paths that all lead into the center of the 'island', where it's a rather steep climb to the top. I climb up to the top. I ride fast downhill on the otherside. Circle back and climb up a different trail to the top again. Fly down another trail, each descent more rocky than the last, it seems. Sometimes the leaves pack the ground so much that it's deceiving how rough the terrain is underneath - threw me off my bike last weekend. Didn't matter 'cause I dusted off and up that hill I climbed again. Before I know it, I've covered about 3-4 miles of trail riding inside of about 45 minutes.

Then it's time to head home. I backtrack on the bike path, and it's about two hours and 14 miles since I left that front door at 6:30am. I'm feeling great. I'm not winded. Not beat up too badly. Maybe a bit muddy. But I'm ready for my day now. Ready for my son now.

That's what gets me up at the crack of dawn on Saturdays and Sundays.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Nice stuff...
    Thanks Rich.
    Randy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toad
    I grew up about 10 miles from those shots on the other side of the river. Not much singletrack, but that river is a really nice feature of the area. I had about a 20 mile loop worked out with as much of the little bits of single track in the area as possible in it. You'd be suprised, there is some pretty fun stuff. I know of some hidden woop-de-doos in a park in Maumee, that are great.
    There is a larger singletrack loop (7 miles ?) out in napoleon (about 20 miles west of where you were) that some guys built a couple years ago. Its pretty cool, small hills, a stream crossing, (the trail can be REAL muddy) didn't get to ride it much, as I had moved by then. You should check it out next time you go to OH. -t

edit: Oh ya, I know all about those great MI trails. When I bought a car, and became more into training on a Mt bike, I drove up to Poto and Highland and Pontiac lake all the time. Michigan has some really nice trails. Thank god for good gas mileage. -t
    Yeah, we talked about the Park in Napoleon during the ride. We were bouncing ideas about trying to ride there in the (somewhat) near future.

If you get a chance, ride at Island Lake. I worked one of the traildays in Oct. with the MMBA to re-route some of the trouble spots over there. I ride there all the time, and since the re-routes the trail is almost like a whole new experience. Not as technical as Poto, Highland, or PLRA, but still plenty of fun.
    Randy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I've always known that I can't be the only who gets up at the crack of dawn on Saturdays and Sundays to go out riding. This thread just puts a face to the other mental patients out there.

What gets me up on a cold Saturday morning?

Quite simply, my son. He's about 5 months old now, and he's typically asleep when I wake up at 6am on Saturdays and Sundays. But I get up at that hour so that I can go for my ride. That way he'll be up when I get home and we have the rest of the day to spend together.

I'm up diligently at 6am unless it's pissing rain out. Nothing I abhor more than the rain (and this comes after living in London for two years!) I quickly change, grab some coffee and some breakfast and I'm out to door by 6:30, 6:45. That's when daylight breaks. I'm out the door and riding through town to reach the bike path that runs along the Long Island Sound heading down to the Bronx. I keep a steady pace 'cause this is the build-up to the fun part. This isn't the fun part yet.

I ride by some horrendously smelly horse stables, turn left towards Orchard Beach. At this point, I'm starting to get really excited about the fun part. I go off the bike path and take this offroad shortcut to reach the beach faster. Nice and rocky uphill, fast but not so steep downhill. I take a rest when I reach the beach. I like watching the water, and at that hour, it's quiet and there's hardly anyone around.

Here comes the fun bit. I leave the beach and duck into a nature reserve called Hunter Island. Not really an island 'cause it's attached to the mainland, more of a peninsula forest. It's a bit of a maze in here. Trails that lead into each other, multiple paths that all lead into the center of the 'island', where it's a rather steep climb to the top. I climb up to the top. I ride fast downhill on the otherside. Circle back and climb up a different trail to the top again. Fly down another trail, each descent more rocky than the last, it seems. Sometimes the leaves pack the ground so much that it's deceiving how rough the terrain is underneath - threw me off my bike last weekend. Didn't matter 'cause I dusted off and up that hill I climbed again. Before I know it, I've covered about 3-4 miles of trail riding inside of about 45 minutes.

Then it's time to head home. I backtrack on the bike path, and it's about two hours and 14 miles since I left that front door at 6:30am. I'm feeling great. I'm not winded. Not beat up too badly. Maybe a bit muddy. But I'm ready for my day now. Ready for my son now.

That's what gets me up at the crack of dawn on Saturdays and Sundays.
    Awesome man! Simply awesome! Raise your son well, sir.
    Randy

There's no app for this.

nice shots!

always great to put the riders and the terrain together. Looks a bit "refreshing" that day.

Why do I get up? I can't ignore this kind of weather and scenery.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    always great to put the riders and the terrain together. Looks a bit "refreshing" that day.

Why do I get up? I can't ignore this kind of weather and scenery.

Jim
    Dammit Jim! I'm only ... in the midwest!

You are a bast-age for having such gorgeous scenery to ride.
    Randy

There's no app for this.

I did my time

on the flats (Toronto) moved west with nothing in '95 at age 48, best thing I ever did. But don't let that influence you

Jim