What do you say when asked WHY DO YOU RIDE SO MUCH?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 88 of 88
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,804

    What do you say when asked WHY DO YOU RIDE SO MUCH?

    This afternoon, working on bikes, as often happens, a neighbor stopped by and politely asked if I could fix his son's bike.

    My neighbors watch out for me and get me to fix flats and brakes and raise seats as the kids get longer.

    This neighbor asked, in sincerity, "Why do you ride so much?"

    And I initially reacted internally with joy, because, someone finally was asking me why I ride! But then I thought, hey, they think I'm weird, or maybe they aren't really interested in me, but rather interested in the condition of my psychosis. Okay, I think too much, perhaps, but this was the spot I found myself in.

    Yet, with joy I gave it a go, as the British say, and said that it was fun, good exercise, that gets you out in nature, and we see many beautiful places on the planet, both natural and cultural, and sometimes we race, or do long tours, and ride trails, and do it with friends, and make new friends doing it as well.

    Of course we understand these terms of why I ride here on this forum. The balances of the various factors will vary. Certainly I think I hit on the more obvious exoteric aspect of cycling.

    The last part, ride trails, is really hard to explain I discovered, to someone who doesn't ride.

    There's more.

    Okay, so I live in silicon valley and currently most of my neighborhood has been "taken over" by people from Asia and India. Most of them are software engineers, IT professionals, and other high tech sectors.

    Pretty much, none of them ride, and many came to the USA as adults. Most of the original Californians in my area have sold out and moved away. Things are different than they used to be, that's for sure.

    I have long felt as though I am perceived as a total nutter for basically commuting by bike to work all the time, and then going out for single speed rides after work, and then periodically going through what must appear to be madcap filthy bicycle overhauls.

    I've got a peg board of tools and bike paraphernalia, like wheels hanging from the rafters, all over the place. The immigrants see me it sometimes seems, as some sort of one man bike shop.

    A lot of these immigrants do not seem to have a set of Allen wrenches and crescent wrench, tire levers, and a bike pump, know how to patch a tube, or even use a tool. That's my experience. I've come to see this as normal for the immigrant.

    I'm fairly sure there are other riders who experience this.

    I expect some flak or flames for saying some of these things.

    In fact all my life I've been the cycling nut. Of course I think I'm perfectly sane, and those who don't ride are not getting it.

    I mean, come on! Around here, the traffic is ridiculous, and the weather is ridiculously lovely all of the time. Why wouldn't you ride?

    Every rush hour I pass lines of cars standing still.

    Well of course, I am pretty sure no one wants to get dirty, get out of breath, push hard, risk injury, and are generally always running late.

    Okay that's enough ranting.

    For me, in this instance, I was asked by someone born in India, and I felt as though I was speaking over a vast cultural chasm which seemed nearly too far to gap, even though we both share the English language.

    What will you say when someone asks you: "Why do you ride so much?"


    (Photo of a friend with a 50th birthday coming up.)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    322
    "Do you even drift, bro?"

  3. #3
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,450
    It's the closest thing I've found to flying like a bird beneath the forest canopy.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  4. #4
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,741
    I ride a lot
    1. because it relaxes me
    2. to keep from holding back any group with whom I ride
    3. to see and photograph various places
    4. to stay healty and fit and strong and young
    5. because I enjoy it and it is realtively cheap in comparrison to many other hobbies / addictions

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wacha Wacha Wacha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    419
    I commute 6 days as well. I love the question, "What do you do when it rains?" haha

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,585
    No one has ever asked me that question. I often tell them the answer anyway though :0)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cookieMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    573
    I've never been asked. Most people from my area, in 2018, still think of mountain biking as lycra and bar ends, riding on paved paths around a pond. Despite the legions of North Shore racks loaded with #longlowslackbikes going up and down the roads...
    Bikes belong in Wilderness areas.

  8. #8
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,199
    Helps keep me out of trouble.

  9. #9
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,076
    Yikes, your neighbors can't raise a saddle?

    Lots of reasons to ride. Similar to Sparty, it's as close as I can get to being a wild animal running quickly through the forest. When riding, it's still mostly you, whereas on a motorcycle it's more machine.

    I love the intense focus of where to put my front wheel and the "dance" needed to finesse around rocks, roots, trees.

    Other times, I enjoy the chance to relax.

    I love conquering a big climb or difficult section of the trail.

    I love seeing wildlife, spotted a young buck on my ride yesterday. I see deer all the time but I still love seeing them.

    I love seeing the plants, stopped to snap some pix yesterday of one I've wondered about in the past, posted them last night (Botany thread) and Harold told me what it is.

    I love seeing the seasons in nature.

    I'm sure I've got lots more reasons, but that's it for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

  10. #10
    755872
    Guest
    Hmm...
    1. I don't find joy in driving a car.
    2. 33 years in the military including back, shoulder and elbow surgeries without missing, failing, or taking a waiver on a Fit Test.
    3. Because I can.
    4. Because it pisses off people in cars, especially out-of-shape people in cars.
    5. Wheelies.
    6. Bunny hopping.
    7. I can ride to work without stopping except for the last 1/2 mile.
    8. I like beer and cycling keeps it from disliking me as much.

  11. #11
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    ...

    Yet, with joy I gave it a go, as the British say, and said that it was fun, good exercise, that gets you out in nature, and we see many beautiful places on the planet, both natural and cultural, and sometimes we race, or do long tours, and ride trails, and do it with friends, and make new friends doing it as well.

    Of course we understand these terms of why I ride here on this forum. The balances of the various factors will vary. Certainly I think I hit on the more obvious exoteric aspect of cycling.

    The last part, ride trails, is really hard to explain I discovered, to someone who doesn't ride.
    ...
    Good answer!

    As far as the "ride trails" part, I always say it's faster than hiking. I can see everything the hiker sees, if that's what I'm out for instead of an adrenaline hit, but I can see it faster, or I can see more in the same amount of time. And even at speed, I am pretty sure I don't miss much.

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azimiut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    540
    I usually say "why dont you?"
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

  13. #13
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,686
    Lots of good answers.

    I like that it's challenging, requires focus, and is very rewarding mentally and physically. I like being out in nature. I love my bike. I like taking pictures of all the places I've been and things I've seen. Probably most of all, I love riding trails. Did I mention it's fun?

    Lots more good ones here
    http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/favor...es-983099.html

    Part of me just thinks you either get it or you don't, but maybe the best answer is "You should go try it and find out for yourself."
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11,406
    Obsessive compulsive disorder.



    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    As far as the "ride trails" part, I always say it's faster than hiking. I can see everything the hiker sees, if that's what I'm out for instead of an adrenaline hit, but I can see it faster, or I can see more in the same amount of time. And even at speed, I am pretty sure I don't miss much.

    -F

    I'm pretty sure you do, in fact I'm guessing you'd "see" more if you spent a day in the woods not moving at all.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sage of the Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    423
    Because my bike is less expensive than therapy...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,557
    Because I don't like being fat and lazy!

    I always roll my eyes when people say they are so concerned with my safety when I ride a bike. I just tell them that I am worried about their health because they have such shit diets and never get any meaningful exercise. And I wonder why I have no friends!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    ...

    Okay, so I live in silicon valley and currently most of my neighborhood has been "taken over" by people from Asia and India. Most of them are software engineers, IT professionals, and other high tech sectors.

    Pretty much, none of them ride, and many came to the USA as adults. Most of the original Californians in my area have sold out and moved away. Things are different than they used to be, that's for sure...The immigrants see me it sometimes seems, as some sort of one man bike shop.

    A lot of these immigrants do not seem to have a set of Allen wrenches and crescent wrench, tire levers, and a bike pump, know how to patch a tube, or even use a tool. That's my experience. I've come to see this as normal for the immigrant.
    It is always difficult to convey ones passion for their hobby to another who has nothing to do with that hobby. There are people who are into riding and their significant others do not understand why yet they live in the same house so it is a common "problem".

    Having been to various less than desirable places all over the world and lived in a few of them, generally I can tell you that bicycles are only seen as tools of leisure or as a hobby in developed countries. In the rest of the world ,especially 3rd world countries, there are just transportation. The person on foot aspires to make enough to buy a bicycle, the person with a bicycle aspires to buy a motorcycle, the person with a motorcycle aspires to buy a car. Your mode of transportation roughly reflects where you are on the social ladder. In the case of your Indian neighbor, he (I am assuming) is also looking at it through a cultural filter and wondering why someone who can afford to use a car exclusively is commuting around on a bicycle. Hence the question he asked you.

    Regarding immigrants' lack of ability to have or use tools, this is just your neighborhood. You live in an exclusive upper class area where people have the means to pay for whatever menial service they need. You are a good neighbor who fixes bikes for free so why learn or pay when Jack down the street can take of it. If you decided to stop fixing their bikes, they would most likely take them to the bike shop and pay as they do for everything else because they have the means to do so. In other immigrant communities, you will find that most are avid DIYers who take every opportunity to save a buck.

    In answer to your question of what I say when people ask why I ride, my answer is "It makes me happy"

    Cheers

  18. #18
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,490
    For me, first and foremost is fun, and I have fallen in love with bikes and the life style. Even the guys that got me into riding, have the same question. It has changed my life in many ways.

    Secondly, its my "me" time, and absolute therapy! Having backpaked before, the being with nature part is yet another plus.

    So my answer is: "because I love it".

    My name is JCD, and I'm an addict.


    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

  19. #19
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    "Why do you breathe so much?"

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,446
    I've never been asked that. The people in my community are so active that it never comes up.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    939
    My kids are older now but I was 'that guy' in my neighborhood when anyone needed something fixed (mopeds, bikes, etc.). I just enjoy tinkering and get satisfaction of doing stuff myself.

    As far as I know, none of my adult neighbors do anything like riding or skiing. The only ones I see out are the 'lawn nazis'. I'm amazed at the amount of time and effort some put into their lawns. I've thought about asking 'why do you spend so much time on your lawn'?
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

  22. #22
    @njcshreds
    Reputation: GoingNowhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    260
    No one has ever asked why I ride so much.

    People usually ask why I have so many bikes though. That's tougher to explain!
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

  23. #23
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,741
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
    People usually ask why I have so many bikes though. That's tougher to explain!
    I ask them "you wouldn't play an entire round of golf with the same club, would you?" That seems to satisfy many inquiries as to the number of bikes I have.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,333
    I gots nothin' better to do. I should be working on world peace, solving hunger, reducing global warming, etc. Instead I just pointlessly ride my bikes.
    Do the math.

  25. #25
    cmg
    cmg is offline
    passed out in your garden
    Reputation: cmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,184
    "because its the most useful way to waste time"
    always mad and usually drunk......

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tealy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    310
    okay
    Last edited by tealy; 10-27-2018 at 08:05 AM.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

  27. #27
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I gots nothin' better to do. I should be working on world peace, solving hunger, reducing global warming, etc. Instead I just pointlessly ride my bikes.
    Hey LR, if you decide to do a little less pointless mountain biking and work on something revolutionary instead, please invent the time machine. I'm approaching the age when I could use one. You invent it and I'll buy one. Which will give me more time to ride. Thanks.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,574
    Because its fun.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Harry Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,284
    I need it for mental health.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: natas1321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    417
    Because I can never ride enough

    It relaxes me and keeps me sane

    Why wouldn't you

    Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,160
    I usually say ďItís good for my soulĒ
    --------------

    [WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,220
    I tell them it's because the TV is nothing but reruns in the summer.

  33. #33
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,760
    I usually say that it's better than drinking excessively.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: misterbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    493
    No one has ever asked me that question. At my age, most of the people that I am acquainted fully realize that they should be out riding a bicycle.


    But-I ride a bike because it hurts me to hike. I'll spare you the list of pains that walking gives me. I do not know why biking does not hurt me. I went on a 20 mile bike path/road trip once, my knee was killing me when I left, was the same when I got back, no better no worse.
    How am I supposed to pick a line through this.

  35. #35
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,334
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Obsessive compulsive disorder.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Good answer!

    As far as the "ride trails" part, I always say it's faster than hiking. I can see everything the hiker sees, if that's what I'm out for instead of an adrenaline hit, but I can see it faster, or I can see more in the same amount of time. And even at speed, I am pretty sure I don't miss much.

    -F



    I'm pretty sure you do, in fact I'm guessing you'd "see" more if you spent a day in the woods not moving at all.
    From http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...-1059374.html:

    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Great shots! I can smell the leaves!

    But the quote above is where a day of hunting and a day of MTBing are at odds.

    A day in my stand is spent literally watching the shadows creep, counting leaves (or snowflakes), and seeing things - even as small as a mouse, or even a worm, spider, or a caterpillar - get on with their day; often in consideration of what better luck I might be having on my bike.

    A day on my bike is often spent wondering how my luck would go if I were in my stand.

    -F

    From http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/mtb-o...s-843543.html:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    We all enjoy our sport in different ways at different times, but for the longest time I have reveled in the minutiae that I think many (not all!) either couldnít care less about, or perhaps cannot even perceive.
    Iím not talking about the gear. Iím talking about that tree that was in the perfect spot so that I could bounce my front tire off of it to get back on the line. Is it a coincidence that a seed fell there years ago? The fact that, even at breakneck speed, I avoided running over a Wooly Bear. Or how my friend Bill positions his right elbow when he turns right. Or if Iíd been in one gear higher my left pedal would have been past that rock that threatened to pedal strike me and I wouldnít have had to ratchet pedal.
    Iíve gone through a ľ mile of esses, then gone back to see how cool my tracks looked because I either was cornering like a pro or I had some fantastic saves. What will the next rider through think? Anything? Will they even notice my speed or my skill or my antics?
    From the absolute brink of my peripheral vision I glimpse a grouse or a wild turkey sitting motionless. Sometimes, with the added stimulus of trail input, itís a second later that I comprehend what my peripheral eye just saw.
    Thereís a tree down near the top of a long, hard climb. I have gnawing doubts that Iíll clear it. Iím redlined already. But look, someone has left a small stone against the log way off to the left. It turns out to be just enough to get me over without a dab.
    Sure, many miles are mindless mental escapes, but something inevitably turns the thought cogs and I have to get to the bottom of it. I have to pick something apart until every variable has been accounted and considered for all of its values Ė whether by sound logic or by flawed assumptions. The ďwhysĒ the ďhowsĒ the ďwhatsĒÖ
    The fact that I donít have to think about tire pressure, gear shifting, mushy brakes, or a bent rim means that the bike was prepped properly and purposefully well before the ride. Those are not things to dwell on during a ride when there is so much more to consider.

    -F
    I'm sure I don't notice everything. ...and I'm really bad at spotting owls - even when sitting still.
    (that was too much searching cutting and pasting to make a point... )
    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I'm sure I don't notice everything. ...

    It doesn't matter, I shouldn't have polluted this thread with my drift. I am convinced that for me and most others every mph increased has a proportionally inverse effect on observational skills.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  37. #37
    Location: 10 ft from Hell Moderator
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,163
    Mountain biking is cheaper than heart surgery.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

  38. #38
    Combat Wombat
    Reputation: BrianU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I am convinced that for me and most others every mph increased has a proportionally inverse effect on observational skills.
    Yep.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I usually say "why dont you?"
    If it ever happens again, I will try to remember to use this tactic. Good one!

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,870
    When asked why I ride so much, I answer "to get away from them" while nervously glancing over my shoulder.


    I'm generally left alone after that.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    It's the closest thing I've found to flying like a bird beneath the forest canopy.
    =sParty
    This is my experience as well.

    Observing wildlife is one of the constant side activities going on during a ride.

    We're always on the lookout for critters of all kinds and trying to avoid conflicts, such as killing or maiming them, or getting into a wreck because of them, and simply seeing them, do their thing.

    Bird watching and identification is fun.

    Who hasn't had the experience of having a bird fly ahead of them on the single track? It's really amazing.

    The experience bleeds over into my dream life. I enjoy2 flying dreams where I am flying along the trail, over the land, through the woods, just like a bird. It's exhilarating to say the least.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  42. #42
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,321
    To maintain my sanity. The added health benefits only mean I'll have to maintain my sanity longer. Win-Win
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

  43. #43
    755872
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Mountain biking is cheaper than heart surgery.
    Hence my signature line.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slomtbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    206
    "What do you want me do to?"
    Almost = Didn't

  45. #45
    YYZ
    YYZ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: YYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    Because I don't like being fat and lazy!

    I always roll my eyes when people say they are so concerned with my safety when I ride a bike. I just tell them that I am worried about their health because they have such shit diets and never get any meaningful exercise. And I wonder why I have no friends!
    I'm the same way. I catch myself over-eating and occasionally smoking and I need to off set it some how. Commuting by bike is the way for me to get around it. I don't own a car, so I leach off family when I need to borrow one. Boy are cars luxurious! Who the heck is crazy enough to bike to work in the snow when they can have a heated steering wheel.

    Cars are much too posh, and I think they are killing people and cities. So in summary, I ride because most people don't, and I want it to be the norm.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JDTorr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    116
    To keep my sanity


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  47. #47
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,188
    Imagine how fat I'd be if I didn't.
    I like turtles

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ethierjung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    149
    BTW, saying "because I don't want to be a fat piece of shit like you" will not win you any friends, but I say it anyway.
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team/Eagle 1x12
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team #2
    2017 Stache 7
    2016 Boone RSL
    2016 CAAD 12

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by ethierjung View Post
    BTW, saying "because I don't want to be a fat piece of shit like you" will not win you any friends, but I say it anyway.
    Yep!

    Glad someone is saying it.

    The truth will set you free, get you into a fight, into jail, and messed up, but it's still the truth.

    Some just can't ride though.

    How about this for an answer:

    "Because I will never ever allow myself to become a fat lazy slob... optional: (like you! )."

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,241
    It quiets the voices in my head.
    Cheaper than therapy.
    My gal likes my legs?
    Great BP of 120/78. What's yours?
    At 55 I only take seasonal allergy meds.
    I like dirt surfing.
    Gives me a good fix for my adrenaline junky needs.
    I love to explore, get lost and find new stuff/towns/swimming holes.
    My doc says exercise is good, how much beer do your diet?
    ITS FUN.

  51. #51
    755872
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    At 55 I only take seasonal allergy meds.
    At 55 I take all the seasonal allergy meds.

  52. #52
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    It quiets the voices in my head.
    Cheaper than therapy.
    My gal likes my legs?
    Great BP of 120/78. What's yours?
    At 55 I only take seasonal allergy meds.
    I like dirt surfing.
    Gives me a good fix for my adrenaline junky needs.
    I love to explore, get lost and find new stuff/towns/swimming holes.
    My doc says exercise is good, how much beer do your diet?
    ITS FUN.
    Funny (and true).

    A couple of weeks ago, a woman at our camping club said, "you ride bikes, don't you!?" I was wearing shorts and I said, "oh, the tattoo?" (a chain ring). She said, "It's not that. You have great calves!"

    I was actually a little flustered. I mean, I'm 56 and a this woman was mid to late 30s and very cute. I thanked her, of course.
    Last edited by chuckha62; 07-31-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: b rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    272
    I live in the same area as the OP, bike commute, mtb a bunch, etc. but no one asks. I suspect the difference is I live in the hills, which are just inconvenient enough to attract people who mostly already understand. No one at work asks either, but then I work with people who are generally interested in novelty and thrill seeking.

    Anyways, I guess you asked... I have thought to myself that riding feels like flying low too. I go out the door for the adventure. The music sounds better before and after. It's fun during. I come home relaxed, and the beer and Mexican food taste better after. You could think about it like a shrink and see if your life revolves around this kind of sensation seeking, or just enjoy it.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,598
    Quote Originally Posted by ethierjung View Post
    BTW, saying "because I don't want to be a fat piece of shit like you" will not win you any friends, but I say it anyway.
    Funny, part of why I ride is to get away from arrogant judgmental assholes.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  55. #55
    755872
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Funny, part of why I ride is to get away from arrogant judgmental assholes.
    x2

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,028

    What do you say when asked WHY DO YOU RIDE SO MUCH?

    Iíve literally been riding bikes all of my life (minus the first four years); street, commuter, paper route, road, gravel and mtb. I think all of us here know besides staying fit itís also a mental douche. Iíve never been asked the question of why I ride so much like the OP but Iíve often been asked why I like to ride and I tell people Iím an endorphin, adrenalin and lactic acid junkie.

    I love to feel the burn in my muscles and lungs and love the thrill of ripping single track and yes even tight twisty and hilly mountain roads on the road bike. Riding bikes and skiing BC and Nordic is some of the most fun shiz to do in life that gives back what you put into it. What a great way to stay healthy both physically and mentally. Thatís why weíre all here in this forum isnít it?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dr Evil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488
    I've never had anyone ask me that but I look at it this way. I have always been athletic and this is a great way to stay in shape. I feel good doing it. I enjoy the fellowship with other riders. I enjoy doing a sport with my sons. I feel accomplished after a ride. It is a great way to d-stress. Finally, at 55, it is how I give a big F You to the aging process.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
    Yep.
    X2. My friends and I discuss this on occasion. Like climbing on skis, I can see and observe many things going up when Iím moving slow but going down especially at higher speeds or in tight trees takes more focus but itís all good.

    As a counter-pointe to this. Last week I was going slow bushwhacking an older, in need of maintenance trail and rode smack dab into a Barred Owl 25í from me 15í off the ground. We looked at each other for about 6-8 seconds, I told him/ her sorry for disturbing you and it flew off but not far. I was being pretty quiet but Iím not sure I would have snuck up on that owl had I been on foot.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,804
    Along these lines, and I must say I doubt it is the case, today I conjectured that my neighbor may have asked the question,

    "Why do you ride so much", but really meant, "You ride too much, unless you can prove to me you don't ride too much."

    It's a paranoid thought, I know.

    It got me to ask myself:

    "Do I ride too much?"

    I said no, I don't ride too much.

    Most people definitely do not ride enough.

    True cyclists always want to ride more.

    I love it.


    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JDTorr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    116


    I found peace in riding.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ethierjung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Funny, part of why I ride is to get away from arrogant judgmental assholes.
    Please don't judge me......as I sit here eating an entire large bag of Fritos honey BBQ Twists with my bacon cheese burgerin front of overweight coworkers eating lettuce and kale. This is why I ride.......
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team/Eagle 1x12
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team #2
    2017 Stache 7
    2016 Boone RSL
    2016 CAAD 12

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,598
    Quote Originally Posted by ethierjung View Post
    Please don't judge me......as I sit here eating an entire large bag of Fritos honey BBQ Twists with my bacon cheese burgerin front of overweight coworkers eating lettuce and kale. This is why I ride.......
    Are you washing it down with a nice cold Superiority Complex shake?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,770
    When someone asks me why I ride I tell them about how amazing it is to be in nature with your heart beating out of your chest and your destiny in your hands. I also explain to them that I love the sensations of saddle sores and baboon a$$ and proceed to show them exactly what they look like.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    When someone asks me why I ride I tell them about how amazing it is to be in nature with your heart beating out of your chest and your destiny in your hands. I also explain to them that I love the sensations of saddle sores and baboon a$$ and proceed to show them exactly what they look like.
    I love your sense of humor! Sorry, it says I have to spread some rep around before I can give you any more.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  65. #65
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I love your sense of humor! Sorry, it says I have to spread some rep around before I can give you any more.
    I got him for ya! - Cracks me up too!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    416
    For me personally: I think this is a dumb question. No offense and not to sound like a snob but to me the answer is obvious: Because we enjoy it.

    However, I can understand not everyone understands why riding can be fun. I've had people tell me they don't want to get a bike because they think it's too exhausting or they just don't like to get all sweaty and the most common answer: It's too dangerous.

    I think almost everyone who does a certain activity whether it's riding, running, traveling, flying, painting etc etc it's because they enjoy it. As obvious as that may seem to me I often ask myself is the person asking that question never experienced something so fun that they wanted to do it over and over again? To me that breaks my heart if that's so.
    My bike is all tricked out. It has pedals, a handle bar, a seat and two wheels! H8tRs gunna H8t!

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    93
    Its my health club

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 802spokestoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    269
    It offsets the daily pack of camels. This answer is best while sparking a square, of course.

  69. #69
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,188
    Many years ago, some interviewer asked Mike Tyson about some kind of meds he was taking. His reply was "It keeps me from killin' y'all".

    Kinda how I feel about riding bikes. And the fat thing.
    I like turtles

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ethierjung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Are you washing it down with a nice cold Superiority Complex shake?
    Apparently, you fail to see why i ride.....
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team/Eagle 1x12
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team #2
    2017 Stache 7
    2016 Boone RSL
    2016 CAAD 12

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    189
    Because it's great cross-training for skiing. Now 'why do I ski so much' is a more interesting question.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    49
    I say its because I can't ride more than this, untill retirement, when my plans of riding everyday and cycle tour Europe will come true.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sid Duffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    353
    Good thread! Most of the non-riders I know assume I ride so much because I'm an exercise junky. Truth is, getting exercise plays almost no motivation. I ride for the mental health/enjoyment aspects that everyone here mentions. The exercise is just a nice side benefit.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    75
    I could give a long answer; I won't. I ride so that I don't have to go to a psychiatrist.

  75. #75
    cmg
    cmg is offline
    passed out in your garden
    Reputation: cmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,184
    does anyone ride to get time away from the family?

    will anyone admit it?
    always mad and usually drunk......

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    does anyone ride to get time away from the family?

    will anyone admit it?
    Yeah, sometimes I do ride to get away from them. What matters is that they don't know.

  77. #77
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Galeforce5 View Post
    Yeah, sometimes I do ride to get away from them. What matters is that they don't know.
    Exactly.
    I like turtles

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    60
    Three reasons , in order :

    1 : Because I love being outdoors.
    2 : Because I enjoy the exercise.
    3 : Its therapy from work and life.
    Saying that you "hate" or are an "unapologetic critic" of a bike company doesn't make you insightful or interesting.

  79. #79
    TeXaS BoY
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    172
    The love of it.
    Pure and simple.
    Don't live in fear. Be ready.

    I love my bike like a fat kid loves cake.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by JDTorr View Post


    I found peace in riding.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Really nice inspiration there mate.

    Here's one from our house.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Prototype View Post
    Three reasons , in order :

    1 : Because I love being outdoors.
    2 : Because I enjoy the exercise.
    3 : Its therapy from work and life.
    Kinda late to this, but this about sums it up for me. Well that, and occasionally I do like to have a break from the family... But mostly the first three. :-)

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DeadGrandpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    239
    I'm not sure. I think riding addresses some spiritual issues.

  83. #83
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    13,557
    I feel I don't ride enough, but when I do, I give it my all... and then I look forward to the next ride.
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    757
    One of the interesting aspects of your post, to me, besides the obvious, is the attitude of your immigrant neighbors. In the recent past, these folks and their forebears had neither the time nor the budget for any but the simplest leisure pursuits. And I am sure most of them were too tired from menial labor in harsh conditions to appreciate exercise much. I'm sure many of them view bicycles as a crude and onerous form of transportation and not much more.

    Riding a bike for fun and exercise, in this context, is a first-world "problem," or concept. Weight training and running must puzzle them, too, although I suppose every culture has endorphin junkies.

    More to your point, I like being in the woods for just about any reason, but it's that much better when there is some purpose to it, some element of adventure. I have enjoyed riding a bike since I was a little kid. Something about the self-contained, self-propelled nature of traveling or moving yourself faster than you can walk or run. I am trained as an engineer, and part of that is that I have always been intrigued by the machines that are bicycles. Finally, if I don't make some effort, I lead a pretty sedentary, luxurious (certainly by most Asian standards) life.

    So, MTB gets me in the woods, gets me some exercise, and I enjoy bikes and riding them, generally. I will say that when weather conditions force me to ride on the road, I don't enjoy it nearly as much, so the woods/nature/adventure aspect of it is pretty important to me.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6
    I like it

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    813
    Just the other day, I was wondering why we mountain bikers like this crazy sport. We take a perfectly simple activity (bike riding), and try to make it as hard as possible. Why just ride a bike, when you can ride a bike down gnarly, rooty, rock trails or blast through the woods? And the answer? Because it's so darn fun! And in those moments when I'm concentrating on the ride, I'm not thinking about life's problems. Oh, and it's just so darn fun!

  87. #87
    Let's just wheelie!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    43
    I never get asked that question. Usually they ask if how I ride to and from work then work hard all day. It's a good question, I ride 20-30 miles round trip and spend 9 hours a shift working hard enough to raise a sweat. I probably go up and down 16 stories of stairs while covering a mile (or more) every hour all day long. Work is hard, biking is fun, exercise is good. Think that covers it.
    Unicycle, promoting unity and cycling by being hard to ride since 1866.

  88. #88
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,458
    when people ask me tht, I tell them that riding a bike was my first real sense of freedom as a kid....we lived on our bikes in my neighborhood. It defined us...who had what kind of bike. Who could do which tricks. Who discovered a new trail, or place to ride...I willingly rode my bike everywhere as a kid. Music - specifically heavy metal and punk - and BMX bikes defined my young days...and still define me now. I added MTB in college as the BMX thing dies away here in town in the 90's. I still rode, but most of my friends "grew up" (?) and rode adult bikes...or road bikes

    There was this sense of freedom and control. And escape. And challenge That has always been what drives me to ride. Recently, people ask me why I ride "on bumpy, muddy, hilly. scary" trails so much. Why I ride in a skatepark instead of on the "regular path" (?). I drive my wife nuts when we do ride the "regular path" b/c I bunny hop every thing, or try to do 180's, or ride in the grass alongside of her...to me, the "regular path" is where ever my tires are

    Now that I am getting into bike packing, I am adding my third love of camping and being outdoors in that aspect...

    biking is definitely my addiction; my muse; my mid life crisis; my therapist; my mistress...
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

    15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-10-2017, 03:39 PM
  2. Probably a much-asked question...
    By jbt56 in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 06:15 PM
  3. The Asked-Way-Too-Much-Tire Question
    By ickyickyptngzutboing in forum Alaska
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 11:00 PM
  4. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 03:12 PM

Members who have read this thread: 34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.