Watch out with those reviews.- Mtbr.com
    Rolling

Watch out with those reviews.

Here's a goodie from Lee, ripped off from Dreamride.com (used without permission, copyright Dreamride.com)
    What is an E-tard?
    Mongo defines an "E-tard" as someone who uses the internet to decide what to buy, spends too much time writing bogus reviews on-line, and rides his keyboard more than his bike. On the internet, be careful who you listen to. Most of those folks are dumb as a bag of hammers. Of course, we know it all, so you can trust us, but 85% of the people who review products on a website like MTBR.COM are under 20, do not have a life, are into the fad until they have to get a job, and spend hours on the web blowing off steam and causing trouble just for fun. It takes a lot of "dead time" just learning how to spot the bogus product reviews. Remember the expression, "The blind leading the blind?"

http://www.dreambike.com/faq.htm

I always thought E-tards were raver chicks who did too much xtc?

Anyway, I love reading Lee's words of wisdom, Carry on.
    Last edited by lidarman; 01-29-2004 at 03:32 PM.

ride
    While I disagree with a lot of things he says (or, at least, the way he presents his opinion), I have to agree with him 100% here. These are truly words well spoken.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Here's a goodie from Lee, ripped off from Dreamride.com (used without permission, copyright Dreamride.com)
    What is an E-tard?
    Mongo defines an "E-tard" as someone who uses the internet to decide what to buy, spends too much time writing bogus reviews on-line, and rides his keyboard more than his bike. On the internet, be careful who you listen to. Most of those folks are dumb as a bag of hammers. Of course, we know it all, so you can trust us, but 85% of the people who review products on a website like MTBR.COM are under 20, do not have a life, are into the fad until they have to get a job, and spend hours on the web blowing off steam and causing trouble just for fun. It takes a lot of "dead time" just learning how to spot the bogus product reviews. Remember the expression, "The blind leading the blind?"

http://www.dreambike.com/faq.htm

I always thought E-tards were raver chicks who did to much xtc?

Anyway, I love reading Lee's words of wisdom, Carry on.
    While its an interesting comment, I am not to sure about the stats. From what I gather the majority of MTBR users are over 20, particularly here on the forums, and many of the over 20s choose to review the products.

I do agree that there are many E-tards on the internet and the majorty of consumers could be referred to as a c-tard I guess too. I am for sure an ETard 100%. Read the reviews and posts on King hubs and bought them. That is, a consumer that believes marketing hype, takes every sales persons word like it was a gift from god, and sees the words of Lee as great and an encouragement to buy from him with his high priced colour matching bikes rather than going to any other good ventana or moots dealer.

My 2 cents. No disrespect to Lee of course.

Trevor!

Jan 2004
    Hehe.

I have a feeling the humorless are going to have a problem with some of those comments.

Not too far different to what Matt Chester had to say in Dirt Rag a while back, though he didn't mention MTBR specifically.

Jan 2004
    So are you selling your Ellsworth? Now that I see Ventana is better in every way my Joker's gotta go!

Glad Lee didn't hook up with Huffy.

Ken

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ken
    So are you selling your Ellsworth? Now that I see Ventana is better in every way my Joker's gotta go!

Glad Lee didn't hook up with Huffy.

Ken
    I think I'm gonna break my Id and upgrade to a Moment ...errr wait, i mean downgrade...uhhhh which is it?

just along for the ride
    Since the bike biz is suffering obviously mtbr has been over run by shills/bashers as conditions dictate to meet goals. Personnaly I feel a review should only be posted with a picture of the product from the user not the empty words from a paided net abuser, best drops!

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

you mean

I'm not supposed to believe that a product is the best thing (or worst) since sliced bread based on all the reviews that I've read in which the product is less than one month old?

I find it escpecially interesting how many people review a fork after two rides and say how it's bad (maybe it needs to break in some more) or great (it may be, but can that really be decided in only two rides? what about longevity?)

Product reviews are sort of like trail reviews. REad them all, get a general feel for what people think, then form your own opinion with all other possible methods of research.

YR

Fragile - must be Italian

So true - but MB rags are guilty as well

Words well spoken. Most of the reviews on this board (as well as roadbikereview) are written by people who have either very little experience or NO experience with the product they are reviewing ("just demo'd"). And there are very few "level-headed" reviews - they either gush about the product or rip it to shreds. There are no products made today that are the "best" or "worst" - most fall somewhere in between. But read the reviews on this board and everything gets either 5 or 1 chilis. Sorting through these reviews is extremely maddening.

Unfortunately, the morons who write for most of the MB rags are guilty of the same criticism. Does MB Action know how to write a bad review? I've never seen them do it, probably for fear of losing precious advertising dollars.

So who can you trust for honest, open product reviews? I guess nobody...

Thx...Doug

Jan 2004

To think I was

I was thinking about paying 5300 for a 3700 mountain bike, because of the wisdom of the shop owner. Heck I was going to pay 4500 for a 5 day guided tour of Utah. Not now that I'm a E-tard. Why alienate a user group like MTBr?

Well he probably dosen't get many sales from the folks around here anyhow. Do many of us have trouble finding a guide?

KgB
    SNGLSPD

As one of are favorite passionites would say..

[QUOTE=Laffy] Heck I was going to pay 4500 for a 5 day guided tour of Utah.

I think that would make you a "touron"
    I've been inside too long.

3D guy

Comparable Products...

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Words well spoken. Most of the reviews on this board (as well as roadbikereview) are written by people who have either very little experience or NO experience with the product they are reviewing ("just demo'd").
    Additionally, how many reviewers have even ridden comparable products??? Reviewing you first suspension fork after 2 weeks and 3 rides seems to be a little lacking in background. Like others have said... I like on line reviews to get a general idea, maybe look for trouble spots, but not make a final purchase decision.

Geoff

Jan 2004
    'Touron' is an acceptable term as long as you use it to their face and not accept wages or tips for leading them around.

Ken

FUD

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scorcher seb
    Hehe.

I have a feeling the humorless are going to have a problem with some of those comments.

Not too far different to what Matt Chester had to say in Dirt Rag a while back, though he didn't mention MTBR specifically.
    I missed that, what did MC say?

Tonight we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    While its an interesting comment, I am not to sure about the stats. From what I gather the majority of MTBR users are over 20, particularly here on the forums, and many of the over 20s choose to review the products.
    I don't agree with that guy's opinion myself, or most of the blather on his site, although it could be the haughty tone of his rants that annoys me. I found this amusing: "Of course, we know it all, so you can trust us." That's the attitude just about every bike shop I have visited has had, and most of them had their heads up their arses.

I rely on the forums much more than the review section for advice on products. There's a solid group of regulars I can trust when it comes to fair reviews on products they actually use, and good advice as well. As for the review section, you do have to take them as a whole, or at least scrutinize individual reviews as you would an eBay auction.

And yes, it seems like most of the regulars here are well over 20.
    Last edited by fonseca; 01-30-2004 at 06:56 PM.