Video & pics from the Nature Island of the Caribbean- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Video & pics from the Nature Island of the Caribbean

Just got back last week from a fantastic and breath-taking (the climbs literally sapped the breath out of me) bike trip on the island of Dominica, aka The Nature Island of the Caribbean.

I've ridden in a lot of locations and I have to say that this island has about the most rugged terrain I've ever been on anywhere. The views are awe inspiring, the climbs are relentless & humbling, and the descents are hair-raising yet thrilling. And I'm talking about paved, main roads here. We didn't even bother to look for any offroad riding (there is plenty), because the main roads dished out all that we could handle during our stay, and then some.

We did steep, steady climbs in the region of 3- 6.5 miles in length. To give you an idea of the steepness, a typical Japanese 4-cylinder car or SUV won't make it 150 feet up many of these climbs in 3rd gear, and many times has to downshift into 1st to make it around some of the switchback corners. We tried to hammer up one particular road- it ended up taking us 24 minutes just to go 3 miles. On a different day I tried riding up another road- a loop with a 3 mile climb and a ~3.5 mile descent. I attempted to make the entire climb in the middle chainring. That idea was shot about halfway up when the climb told me to either downshift to the granny or get off and walk.

There were several twisty descents ranging from 5-7 miles in length where we held speeds over 45 mph for several minutes at a time, then had to get hard on the brakes for a switch back corner. Absolutely awesome.

I got some 'on board' video and a few pics:

clip 1, forward view, Length: 5:42
    Size: 14.7MB

clip 2, forward view, Length: 8:37
    Size: 22MB (no audio)

clip 3, Rear view of awesome 7 mile downhill, Length: 11:56
    Size: 30.7MB (no audio)

I've also got some photos here:
    -1- (aerial shots from aircraft)
    -2-
    -3-

Yea though I ride through the Valley of the Shadow of Death,
    My bike and I shall ride ahead of all evil.

Racing 'Round the Clock
    www.teamtwentyfour.com

Bunny Hugger

Good job! Brings Back Memories!

Hey, 24, nice pix. This brings back memories of my own trip to that part of the Caribbean last month. I went to Guadeloupe, which is directly north of Dominique (Dominica to us Americans and the Spanish). From your pix, Dominique is very similar to Guadeloupe in topography and architecture. Thanks for sharing.
    Hug the Bunny

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crashdang
    Hey, 24, nice pix. This brings back memories of my own trip to that part of the Caribbean last month. I went to Guadeloupe, which is directly north of Dominique (Dominica to us Americans and the Spanish). From your pix, Dominique is very similar to Guadeloupe in topography and architecture. Thanks for sharing.
    Cool, man. I am very familiar with Guadeloupe as well. Did you do any riding there?

The topography & architecture are indeed very similar, although I must say that Dominica is the most rugged in terms of terrain of all the islands I've been to. It's the perfect biking spot!

Racing 'Round the Clock
    www.teamtwentyfour.com

try driving your car less
    I have spent a fair amount of time on both islands. Dominica is special in that it was never really colonized because it was unsuitable for growing sugar cane due to the ruggedness. So it retains a special island feeling.

I was working on a yacht at the time, but I was treated to spend a few days at the Papillote Lodge http://www.papillote.dm/ on the island. That place is incredible, just what I would do if I was making a retreat.

We hiked the volcano and did all kinds of fun stuff!

Gaudalupe is much more french, since it was heavily colonized. I remember some huge waterfalls with beautiful french topless girls that we ended up hanging out with for a while.

Much more wine and cheese and yellow headlights.
    Only boring people get bored.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    I have spent a fair amount of time on both islands. Dominica is special in that it was never really colonized because it was unsuitable for growing sugar cane due to the ruggedness. So it retains a special island feeling.

I was working on a yacht at the time, but I was treated to spend a few days at the Papillote Lodge http://www.papillote.dm/ on the island. That place is incredible, just what I would do if I was making a retreat.

We hiked the volcano and did all kinds of fun stuff!

Gaudalupe is much more french, since it was heavily colonized. I remember some huge waterfalls with beautiful french topless girls that we ended up hanging out with for a while.

Much more wine and cheese and yellow headlights.
    Wow that's awesome. I am familiar with the Papillote place. We stayed at a hotel further down, but not too far from there, called the Roseau Valley Hotel. On one of the days we rode from RVH up past Papillote to the Trafalgar Falls. Great ride with great scenery. We tried to take a tour of the hydro-electric station in the area but weren't allowed in (one of the guys in our group is an engineer who likes turbines) We did take a dip in the naturally warm sulphur springs near the base of the falls. Way cool.

My max speed on the last 1/4 mile of that climb was less than 3mph! It took us about 30 mins to get to the falls and about 12 to get back down. What a sick descent.

Racing 'Round the Clock
    www.teamtwentyfour.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Mtbiking on Guadeloupe?

Hi, Since you two are familiar with Guadeloupe, I thought I'd post here. We're interested in going to that island and mountainbiking. Do you have suggestions for a shop to rent bikes? Or places to stay? Or links to learn more about trails? And can you ride a bike in the national park? I'm just beginning my research for our trip. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0