Victor Valley Bike Club - Honda Valley TT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Victor Valley Bike Club - Honda Valley TT

It turns out that the Victor Valley Bike Club (an organization that I did not know exsited before this event) holds small TT style races in different desert locations on Tuesday afternoons, and when I found out they were holding one on one of my loca XC loops I had to attend.

It turns out they are pretty informal events. No entry fees or registrations, just show up and righ (although they do have waivers). Normally only about 4 or so racers show up, since there's only about that many mtb members in the organization anyway (it's not a huge cycling community up here). So, once everyone shows up, the guy in charge says, "Ready, Set, Go!" and hits the strat button on his stop watch and drops it with a pencil and paper at the start/finsih line. The first guy to cross the line is on he honor system to write his name and time down, and then to assist as others cross the line.

Though normally only a small number of attendees show up, this time, since it's a popular riding area, about 15 show up to ride.The rumor was that we were only going to do one lap, so I didin't bring a lot of water or anything, but once we got there they decide to do two laps, since one lap can be done in under 1/2hr, at least by the faster guys (not me). To top that off, they wait around for some stragglers to show up and that pushes the start time out an additional 1/2hr, so I'm beginning to worry about having enough water...

The start run in to the singletrack is really short, so there's not a lot of room to setle into a postion right off the start. Finally we get the go and we're off. I know I'm not the fastest of the bunch, so I position mysefl towards the back of the pack and let the faster guys go. The races starts off going up over a few rolling hills that are pretty burtal. You need to keep a good line to stay out of the rain ruts (the motos build a lot fo these trails right up the fall lines and erode pretty badly, which makes for some technical riding). I do a good job, but others don't do it so well. I pass a couple guys as they spin out and lose momentum, or fall into the rocky loose ruts, but they go right by me agian in short order. By now my HR is through the roof. I'm cruising at a steady 175 and higher, and I'm feeling the pain grow. This whole loop though, is all rolling hills, there are no sustained climbs, nor are there any sustained flat or downhil sections to recover on. About 15 mins into the ride, I'm still hammering away feeling the pain in my chest grow. My heart and lungs are aching badly. Eventually, I come up on one of the guys that I passed at the beginning, who then passed me, and his tire is going flat so I take a breather riding behind him at his slower pace for a while. Eventually he pulls aside ot let me by, and I passed him my tire repair kit (good karma, right?) and another racer (an old guy, prolly in his 50's passees both of us... Oh well, just keep pedalling... I finally settle into a pace, and I'm hurting, but sustaining, and lap one is complete. The old guy stays out in front of me, just far enough for me to see him, maybe helping motivate me, but I can't catch him.

Now, the beginning of the 2nd lap takes me back over the first set of steep technical rollers, and the skill that kept my feet on the pedals at the start is long gone. My mind is fading and I totally lack the concentraiton to keep a straight line. I wander from the weeds to the ruts, off the bike, and on the bike, until I finally get past that section of trail. More winding rolling single track and, wait, what's this? I'm closing on another racer... It's a co-worker of mine and he's pushing his bike. As I come up on him I noticed his chain was missing. The irony is that he had his friend, who would be competing with him, check out his drivetrain and "lube" his chain before the event... Hmm... Foul play??? Anyway, he's continuing by hoofing it up the hills and coasting down... That's two racers with mechanicals so far... Now I'm getting towards the end and I starting thinking to myself, "--all I have to do is finsh. Almost there, just one section of fast singletrack, a downhill, and a short pavement climb- sprint finish for a good show of effort, and I'm done...." Just about then - BOOM! Wham! What the hell is that???? My freaking front tire blew off the rim and the tube which didn't pop is now wrapped around my fork and hub!!! Arrgghh! So much for the karma... So now I'm hoofing it too. It turns out I only had 1/2 mile to go. So, then, my fried with the broken chain is coming up on me! This last part of the race is mostly downhill so he coasts past me. Jerk. I got beat by a guy with no chain... Oh well, dead last. Well, dead last of those who did the two laps. A lot of people dropped out after the first lap and then spectated for the rest of the even. All in all, it was a lot of fun, and by far the hardest time I had on a mtb.

The next Honda Valley TT is scheduled for 12-19 and I'm looking forward to it! Maybe between now and then I'll hit up one of the other venues...

VVBC website- http://webpages.charter.net/vvbc/index.html
    MTB side- http://vvbc.eyebike.com/

BM
    Last edited by Ultra Magnus; 07-29-2009 at 10:08 AM.
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Did'nt think there was much riding down there

I have seen post's regarding riding in the high desert, to which the replies were that there was none to speak of. Its good to know that, that is not true.
    I have seen some road riders as of late and a guy riding a silver SC Blur.

I'm going to have to come down (from Big Bear) to do some of the rides, I just have to get my arse in some kind of riding shape before I do.

mtbr member
    Where did you see they guy with the silver bur?

As far as riding goes, there are no official trails, just trails blazed by local riders. A lot of them also ride moto, and will first mark a course with their moto (moto tire tracks are a lot easeir to follow) and then follow with their mtb and tools until it's burned it enough to follow. It's not like Big Bear, or Mammoth, or Colorodo where there's designated mtb and hiking trails, it's just a loop burned in by locals, often linking togehter a bunch of moto trails with singletrack in between, and sometimes fire roads... They are good loops and fun to ride, but you'll never find your way unless someone shows you, with the exception of this loop. Since the VVBC did a race there, it's all marked with ground paint and little piles of rocks to guide the way...

BM

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    Hey, great post, I hadn't seen this until today. Nice pictures, sorry to hear of your mechanical troubles... I've never seen that happen before.

I maintain the VVBC MTB website & live 5 minutes from honda valley, unfortunately I missed this first time trial, now with your report I feel like I was there. I'm waiting on another guy to send me the results he has and I'll post them.

Come on out to Hwy 173 this Tuesday 10/17 for the next TT.... a 7 mile hill climb - pain fest... but totally non-technical.

BTW, there is tons of great riding here in the high desert.... but you do need someone to show you around... or can end up spending the day walking through sand. There are miles and miles of more fun trails in Honda Valley that we didn't put the TT course on. Also great options for longer rides looping up into the San Bernardino Mountains. I've lived in Hesperia for all of my 25 years.... ride it while it's still there, the politicians are dead set on replacing it all with houses.

mtbr member
    I've been riding in HV off and on for a couple of years now, and it was fun to do a race there. I had been tenatively planning to hit up the 173 TT but my wife had to kindly remind me that she had an ultrasound appt for that day, and I needed to go to work afterwards to get paid for the day (salary employee). She had another doctor's appt on the day of the HV TT but I took a pto day and took the whole day off so I could attend.

I've lived in AV for all of about, um, 22 years, and my normal riding area is up between bell mtn and the desert knolls area, of which is already being built over with houses. I've hit up the sycamore rocks area, but haven't found the whole loop. Just a few sections of it... Lately I've been exploring the Juniper flats area. Looks promising.

I emailed someone at your website with my name and time. I don't think anyone there wrote my name down, nor did I ever fill out a waiver.

BM

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, there is some decent riding up in juniper flats. There is some nice singletrack out there. there was a good singletrack that they planted some dead trees on to cover it up. there is a fun segment of singletrack coming off 3N14, maybe 2 miles up from the kiosk. There is some more singletrack at the top of powerline rd (which we will be TTing up). The main road itself thru juniper flats is decent... if you can make it by that last house with the dogs that run after you near valley view & japatul

REgarding the TT time, the guys that have been doing it for years are all teachers so they are off by 3:30.... if turnouts are good they will consider changing the time.... for now it works for them and if no one else shows up they don't see a point in changing it. We did not expect the turnout we got at the HV tt.

I put an email address on the main page of the website

http://vvbc.eyebike.com

Please send results there.

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I emailed someone at your website with my name and time. I don't think anyone there wrote my name down, nor did I ever fill out a waiver.

BM
    I just got the email you sent, I'll get that together with the rest as soon as I get them.

thanks

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I've been riding in HV off and on for a couple of years now, and it was fun to do a race there. I had been tenatively planning to hit up the 173 TT but my wife had to kindly remind me that she had an ultrasound appt for that day, and I needed to go to work afterwards to get paid for the day (salary employee). She had another doctor's appt on the day of the HV TT but I took a pto day and took the whole day off so I could attend.

I've lived in AV for all of about, um, 22 years, and my normal riding area is up between bell mtn and the desert knolls area, of which is already being built over with houses. I've hit up the sycamore rocks area, but haven't found the whole loop. Just a few sections of it... Lately I've been exploring the Juniper flats area. Looks promising.

BM
    Bmadau, Thanks for the trail map. I went on a pretty crazy camping trip this weekend and still haven't rode the HV trail, even though I can see it from my mother in law's bay window in Cedar Pines Park. Maybe this weekend.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Members who have read this thread: 0