Vasectomy - long term pain + cycling + worth the risk?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Vasectomy - long term pain + cycling + worth the risk?

Really fancy a Vasectomy, bamboozled by the contradictory statistics of 1 in 3, 1 in 10, 1 in 100 will get PVP / Post Vasectomy Pain, 3 months - 12 months after surgery.

Not the sort of pain i'd want as my passion in life is cycling!

So just looking for some feedback from a similar recreational group, cyclists, have you had a vasectomy, all went well and still pain free?

mtbr member
    I already took all my classes and signed my forms, I just have to make the appointment. Im in the same boat, and its sort of scary!

No scalpel vasectomy has better odds of going smoothly.

Im banking on the loud minority thing. Im hoping people who have successful operations just get on with their lives without saying much about it.

It sounds like worst case, fixing PVPS means going back in and sort of moving a nerve over, then its gone. Not terrible. Nothing Ive read about it is neverending pain. It can be fixed, worst case.

Muskoka
    Had a vasectomy ~ 32 yrs ago ...I'm 66 now. No issues whatsoever, pain or otherwise. Avid mtbiker here, riding 2-3 times/week minimum plus fatbiking and xc skiing in winter. Riding the missus once a week minimum too, she's still cute
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Did you get permission from your wife to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    ^ zing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I got one is November, was off the bike for long ride for 5-6 weeks from swelling. 1hour rides were tolerable but not comfy and kinda bow legged pedaling. Saw doc beginning of Jan, Doc said I had a blood clot so take 1-2 hot baths a day and it will warm up the blood and get absorbed back into the body. After the 1st week of baths I was able to ride more then an hour at time leg bow legged. Now back to doing 5-7hour long rides w/o a problem. Still taking baths 2 months now. Pain free..but the first 3 days sucked, like someone keeps kicking you in the balls and you can't recover for the next blow. Get some better pills then what the over the counter stuff Doc wants you to use. Just in case.....better to have and not need, then need em when the Doc's office is closed and you can't get Norco. Maybe a bottle of Jack will work IDUNO

Rides all the bikes!
    Got mine mid 20's. I was not an active person then, other than being a motorcyclist. I am a fast healer in general, so I don't want to say I am typical. Mine was the triple method: Cut open, remove a section. stable it, then cauterize. Basically we were told that it is effectively non reversible the way they do it (Navy). So you better be sure.

I was back to work in a couple of days, but decided to take another day off after returning since I spent way too much time focusing on the discomfort and not paying attention to work (active duty military). I think I was authorized 5 days, so I could have taken a full week at home. I never used pain killers.

Since the recovery, I have never had any issues whatsoever related to the procedure, if you don't count the fact that I am sterile now. 12'ish years later I am riding 20 hours per week.

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    ^ zing!
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Had one in December. Off the bike for about 2 weeks. No current issues and have completed multiple 50+ mile rides on rigid bikes since the surgery.

The joke above about the wife. My Dr. required us to both be present for a meeting prior to the surgery to ensure we both agreed.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Had mine about 21 years ago, no issues then or now.

DFA
    mtbr member
    I already took all my classes
    Huh whut? Classes? Did you get a diploma/certificate?

I'd be more worried about infected stitches than post-partum pain. Trust me on this.

mtbr member
    Twenty years or so for me, very little pain, no other issues. Except my voice is about an octave higher.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Twenty years or so for me, very little pain, no other issues. Except my voice is about an octave higher.
    And that is where your username was born.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eotb7777 View Post
    Really fancy a Vasectomy, bamboozled by the contradictory statistics of 1 in 3, 1 in 10, 1 in 100 will get PVP / Post Vasectomy Pain, 3 months - 12 months after surgery.

So just looking for some feedback from a similar recreational group, cyclists, have you had a vasectomy, all went well and still pain free?
    I had mine done 1 year ago. Everything went smooth, no lingering pain at all. The procedure, though a little strange, was much easier than I expected. Just take care of yourself afterwards and youíll be good to go.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I had mine on a Friday. I was back at work with no pain or discomfort on Monday.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    I got one a couple years ago. It wasn't painful, but pretty uncomfortable for upwards of a week. I can say, with absolute certainty, don't race dirtbikes on day 8 post surgery. I crashed proper and it definitely set me back, with the pain thing.
    I'd say all things told, I was completely back to normal with no discomfort doing anything in 4 weeks. Thats with the setback included.
    Good luck, it's a real wise investment in stress reduction.

EAT MORE GRIME
    piece o cake.

you'll be riding the next day

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 03-10-2018 at 06:31 PM.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFA View Post
    Huh whut? Classes? Did you get a diploma/certificate?

I'd be more worried about infected stitches than post-partum pain. Trust me on this.
    Kaiser makes you take a series of classes before you can sign up. I thought that was kind of weird, but that's their policy.

I did ask for my ball cutting diploma, but sadly they declined.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Paging Doctor Toptube...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    No issues here either. The most painful part was for my mother when I told that we werenít having any more children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    No issues here either. The most painful part was for my mother when I told that we werenít having any more children.

We still hear it from my mother-in-law that she isn't getting ANY grandchildren.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    We still hear it from my mother-in-law that she isn't getting ANY grandchildren.
    People have finally stopped asking if weíd have another. I feel like I hit the lottery with my little girl. We have so much fun together and sheís just an awesome, sweet, funny little kid with a great demeanor. I canít follow up that act. She keeps saying sheís ready to go ride her bike out on the hiking trails with me.

Awesome! ^

mtbr member
    Had mine as a 40th gift :wtf:

Guy had apparently done a few prior to yours truly o_0

Let's just say, he couldn't get the left side to numb up enough ^^

& the 3x it took to realise things hadn't been numbed significantly had the left side hurting for a good couple of months :-/

PS -thank Christ we only do it once!

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    I lucked out, had mine around my 40th Bday and was back on the bike in 3 days with only slight discomfort and Weekly World Championships in 5 days since I was mostly a roadie back then.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I fell into the smaller group that has significant pain after despite following all post-op recommendations. Sack swelled to the size of a grapefruit and inside of both thighs had bruising. The significant pain subsided by end of second week and all was back to normal by end of 8th week. That was 6 years ago and no issues since.

ENDO!!!
    Had mine almost 12 years ago, was right before Father's day weekend, spent it in bed with peas on my junk. Was off the bike for 2 weeks and had no issues once I was back on. Follow what the doctor says for your recovery. I tried to sit on my bike after about a week and quickly got back off. Had no issues since. As a plus, my doctor told me, with the wife right there, that once I felt good enough to have sex a lot to clear out any lingering sperm before filling the cup to see whether it was effective.
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    Mid 60s, got snipped something like 30 years ago, no pain immediately afterward or any pain/issues since. I remember going in with some apprehension about the recuperative swelling/pain and having to take it easy but there really wan't anything significant at all. The worst thing was itching as the hair grew back.

There certainly seems to be a lot of variability in people's experiences.
    Do the math.

I feel so left out of the group. My boys are still intact as they were meant to be.

mtbr member
    My bro had one about 10 years ago and has had terrible nerve pain ever since. Can't ride a bike at all, has been to a dozen doctors.

I had mine previously and had no issues whatsoever but had I known about the potential problems I never would have done it.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I always wondered, "If they snip the tube that carries the little guys outside, then where do they end up going?" Here's the little known answer that nobody likes to talk about. Found in the Funny Picture or Meme Thread, of all places.

Vasectomy - long term pain + cycling + worth the risk?-man_file_1062836_2.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I'll one up a few, i had a vasectomy then a reversal and still MTB with no issues. The reversal was way worse in terms of recovery.

mtbr member
    I had mine about 14 years ago or so. The first question I asked the doctor pertained to the timeline of being sidelined from riding.

I believe I was back on the bike in a week's time.

To answer the main question, I don't recall much pain beyond that first or 2nd day.

Honestly, I was most frightened about the 1st time I took care of business post-vaz. I had images in my mind of my goo being blocked and incurring some kind of issue as a result. This turned out to be a false fear.

It was well worth the operation. You can frolic without a care, and that freedom is fantastic.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I had mine about 14 years ago or so. The first question I asked the doctor pertained to the timeline of being sidelined from riding.

I believe I was back on the bike in a week's time.

To answer the main question, I don't recall much pain beyond that first or 2nd day.

Honestly, I was most frightened about the 1st time I took care of business post-vaz. I had images in my mind of my goo being blocked and incurring some kind of issue as a result. This turned out to be a false fear.

It was well worth the operation. You can frolic without a care, and that freedom is fantastic.
    LOL, same here. And I thought it was going to hurt like a mother the first time I had to take a leak after the procedure but nope it didn't.

In the weeks leading up to mine I researched like a madman and kind of freaked myself out but it wasn't a big deal. On the other-hand, there are a few funny videos online of people videoing themselves during. Not videoing the business going on down below, but there faces along with the commentary are pretty priceless.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    People have finally stopped asking if weíd have another.
    My wife is the only person I know who hates kids more than me.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I feel so left out of the group. My boys are still intact as they were meant to be.
    See below:

mtbr member
    Had mine about 11 years ago. The only discomfort I remember was... well I had it done at a teaching hospital and there was a rather attractive student observing the procedure. The car ride home was a little sore but after that no drama at all. I was road biking 3 weeks later (and probably could have sooner but was afraid), did a mtb race at 5 weeks.
    Frozen peas and hygiene, to my understanding, are the keys.

Don't let anyone mislead you or underestimate how great vasectomy life is. As great as you think it will be, it's better than that.

mtbr member
    Rythm method and withdrawal has never failed me.
    Cutting into my boys...no thanks. I had a good friend and neighbor that slid down a flag pole and caught his bag on the cleat crudely vasectomizing himself. It was gruesome so maybe I'm a little mentally scarred here.

I have a buddy that had one a couple years ago. I know for sure he did his homework and saw a reputable doctor. He complains of numbness and tingling sometimes. He's the type of guy that never says anything negative ever, so I know he's in discomfort when he brings it up.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Rythm method and withdrawal has never failed me.
    My best friend just knocked up his 40+ year old wife on accident.

I don't need a plan, or pull out.

mtbr member
    Going on my 22nd year post vasectomy. No pain at all except maybe day one. No swelling, and no post vasectomy pregger wife, ever.

Thatís how you do it.

mtbr member
    But...

If they never get used... is there much point??

:flame:

:slaphands:

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    But...

If they never get used... is there much point??

:flame:

:slaphands:
    We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Years ago, was sedentary for about two weeks, then went back to league basketball (it was winter) and spring was back riding no problem, and have never had a problem.
    My Doc said the biggest problem is guys feel fine after a few days and then start lifting things too soon. For two weeks I didn't lift anything heavier than a glass.

mtbr member
    I waited a month before riding again and had some discomfort now and again for a few months afterword but not anything terrible.

Maybe half a dozen times over the last decade I have had some minor discomfort but nothing that jumps out as a problem.
    '18 Scott Spark 730, 27.5+
    '10 Scott Scale 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Don't let anyone mislead you or underestimate how great vasectomy life is. As great as you think it will be, it's better than that.

Except if you can never ride your bike again if you have one, otherwise yeah.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Who of you had problems AND had the no scalpel procedure? It seems like the old school way was pretty close to a drunkard with a rusty nail hammering on your ball bag. The new way seems a lot more precise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    My bro had one about 10 years ago and has had terrible nerve pain ever since. Can't ride a bike at all, has been to a dozen doctors.. .
    Was this bad luck or bad surgeon?
    Either way...
    NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
    NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    As I understand it, the no scalpel is becoming more popular but there is no evidence of it's superiority over a traditional method. My family doctor said that who you select to do the procedure is more important than the method they use.

I had the conventional method and my incision was tiny...barely noticeable. Beyond that incision I believe the methods are identical in completing the procedure. It was virtually painless...with the exception of a could quick painful pulses. The doctor and his nurse talked to me the whole time which made it go by very quick.

The worst part for me was that I had it in February and it happened to be record highs the whole time. I couldnt get out to enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Had mine done 6months ago or so. I was fully awake and the numbing stuff wasn't perfect. Plus they poke you in the nuts with the needle 3 or 4 times. Not great. I also wasn't given any nice valuem (sp?) and instead of taking the BS anti anxiety/depression pills I got pretty high on legal stuff. It was without a doubt a VERY FREAKING stressful process and felt weird etc. I had the no scalpel stuff. Really wish they had given me some of those better drugs and I would demand it from your doctor. They are working on your balls pretty hardcore for an hour. You want to be loopy for sure. I got anxiety about even within the week after. My nurse was also extremely hot and a mountain bike too, not cool but she at least talked to me the whole time as I sweated it out with my junk out.

Now on to pain. Everyone seems to be fine in 2 weeks or 4 days. Not me. It freaked me out. Felt like I was getting kicked in the nuts by a tiny fiery and it was sensitive. Sex hurt too. After a month I started to freak out a bit. I went on the internet and wow, it was pretty scarey reading about dudes whose balls hurt for 16 yrs straight etc.

Nevertheless after 2 months I am 120%. It's common to feel the pressure and the "knot" for months etc. I'm sure you'll be fine and sex is less complicated too which is fantastic. Just dont go expecting to be like everyone else. Everyone heals differently. I'm 36 fwiw.

mtbr member
    No scalpel procedure here. I was about 3 minutes for the procedure, and less than 1 hour in and out. The only "pain" was the initial numbing shot for about 2 seconds.

Click, click done. Click, click done.

"Enjoy your care free life, sir."

Thank you.
    '10 Scott Scale 29er

mtbr member
    This thread came across my "trending now" email. I dont have a lot of time to post now but should later, since I'm the unfortunate minority.

I'm about 11 years post procedure, and have been in chronic pain the entire time. (Actually, the last half year or so is better but i can't say why. Crossing my fingers that I've turned a corner.)

For what it's worth, riding itself isn't really an issue, and it hasn't ever kept me off the bike. It's the day-to-day stuff - walking, standing up, laying in the wrong position - that suck. There could be some correlation to the amount of riding I'm doing, but i kind of dont want to know.

Anyway, suffice it to say i wish i'd never done it.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

Trail Gnome
    Kaiser makes you take a series of classes before you can sign up. I thought that was kind of weird, but that's their policy.

I did ask for my ball cutting diploma, but sadly they declined.
    Classes??? Kaiser gave me a handout...and I did receive a phone call but, no classes. The worst thing about getting a vasectomy, was watching the doctor stick a needle in my sack
    No problems afterwards, I honestly canít remember how long it was before I was riding...Iíd guess a week or two

mtbr member
    ^ That sucks, perhaps try to get it undone?
    Sperm is tenacious and it has to go somewhere.

https://www.pop.org/problems-side-ef...men-vasectomy/
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

*Cringe* Can we change the subject?

mtbr member
    I had mine done 35 years ago. I took it easy for a couple of days. No complications, very little pain. No impact on my bike riding, farm work or life, except no kids or grandkids.

mtbr member
    Had mine about 11 years ago. The only discomfort I remember was... well I had it done at a teaching hospital and there was a rather attractive student observing the procedure. The car ride home was a little sore but after that no drama at all. I was road biking 3 weeks later (and probably could have sooner but was afraid), did a mtb race at 5 weeks.
    Boner?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jreed3 View Post
    LOL, same here. And I thought it was going to hurt like a mother the first time I had to take a leak after the procedure but nope it didn't.

In the weeks leading up to mine I researched like a madman and kind of freaked myself out but it wasn't a big deal. On the other-hand, there are a few funny videos online of people videoing themselves during. Not videoing the business going on down below, but there faces along with the commentary are pretty priceless.
    The strangest aspects of my procedure, since it was only local anesthesia, was having conversations with the doc about normal stuff, and seeing the smoke rise from my nutsack as he was cauterizing the incisions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    My best friend just knocked up his 40+ year old wife on accident.

I don't need a plan, or pull out.
    No kidding. That was the way to go in high school, but looking back....damn.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    back on the bike in a week. greatest thing ever to never worry i might be having another kid unexpectedly.\

if your family is fully formed i see no reason not too.

mtbr member
    Boner?
    Thats my worst fear... jeez Im immature. Thats probably why I shouldnt have children and why I should have a vasectomy. But then that goes full circle.

mtbr member
    Worst part for me? Lying on the table in a gown, waiting for the doc, with my legs up and a battle ax nurse standing with full view of my precious jewels. Slightly awkward, but it probably a good reminder of what women go through routinely.

Now if that nurse had been a hottie.... yeesh, coulda been a lot worse.

Worst part for me? Lying on the table in a gown, waiting for the doc, with my legs up and a battle ax nurse standing with full view of my precious jewels. Slightly awkward, but it probably a good reminder of what women go through routinely.

Now if that nurse had been a hottie.... yeesh, coulda been a lot worse.
    Iíve never been snipped like all of you but I have had two hernia surgeries. Same spot 10 years apart and Iíll be damned if the same hot nurse didnít [prep] shave me both times. I think it moved.

mtbr member
    LOL, on mine, the nurse started out as a older black gentlemen that was possibly the most kind man I have met. He had that smooth southern draw, soothing words and a gentleness about him...all was good in the world.

After the procedure, the nurse came back to do the final check except this time it was a late twenty's bomshell blond that could have been a model. By that time, all my equipment was doing its best to crawl into my body cavity in horror.

I resigned with a sigh and counted the seconds until I could escape, lol.
    '10 Scott Scale 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    ^ That sucks, perhaps try to get it undone?
    Sperm is tenacious and it has to go somewhere.

https://www.pop.org/problems-side-ef...men-vasectomy/
    I don't want to discourage anybody who's thinking about this. I mostly thought I'd chime in because cases like mine are rare, and I sure wish I'd had access to a voice like mine before I made the decision.

As you can see from the other responses, the odds are clearly in favor of it working well. I would ordinarily and easily take those odds myself. I'm pretty lucky that, now in my fifties, I've never had any other health issues whatsoever other than self-inflicted injuries. Not even a cavity or eye glasses. So I clearly have the luxury of being able to regret something and dwell on the pain. In the grand scheme of things, my suffering is nothing compared to what other people have to deal with.

Here's the thing: The medical professionals really have NO IDEA what causes the pain when a vasectomy goes wrong. The predominant thinking (and possibly some or a majority of the cases) are caused by a leakage and/or a pressure buildup. Reversing it "could" fix those things, and everybody goes into this telling themself "well, if there's a problem, I'll just get it reversed." Unfortuantely, that is NOT as easy as it sounds. There are only a few specialists in the country to do it, and there's no guarantee that it will fix things. And ANY additional surgery brings other risks.

In my case, I believe the doctor botched the procedure when he pulled so hard on the vesicle that he permanently disfigured my left gonad. Even under anesthesia, it was absolutely excruciating as he was doing it. I didn't realize for a long time that that wasn't the normal experience. It's not like you practice this or have something to compare to. And now the same pain has been chronic ever since. Worse some days than others, but always there. I must have learned to block it out because typing this i'm suddenly aware of it.

During the procedure, if you feel anything more than the slightest, vaguest, most gentle of tugs, i suggest screaming and decking the doctor in the face as hard and as quickly as you can, and insisting that someone else finishes.

A couple of years ago, I was so despondent about the pain that I looked into the reversal thing, had some ultrasounds, and talked to a few doctors about other options. The butcher urologist that did the original procedure took less than 5 minutes and suggested ANOTHER UNRELATED surgery. He said I probably had a vericele (something akin to 'vericose veins" on my balls, and which is fairly common) and that THAT was the cause of the pain, completely unrelated to the vasectomy. He was probably in defensive mode though, and thought "hey, why not make some more money?"

I ultimately decided to keep living with the pain rather than risk further complications.

Bottom line is that they don't really know what they're doing. It goes well the vast majority of the time and it's an easy money maker for them, so they like to call it "routine." Again, odds are highly in your favor. I've only personally known one other who had issues - consisting of his sack swelling to the size of grapefruit and turning black and blue. But his eventually got better.

As I mentioned, it's never been something that's kept me off the bike. Hiking and standing up straight are much worse. So, in a way, it's made me rely on biking even more as my means of exercise. Again, I don't know if lots of biking exacerbates the pain when I'm otherwise off the bike. I think it may, but I won't give it up.

One last thought and thing to consider:

The thing that REALLY sucked in my case is that, right after doing it, my wife had to have a hysterectomy and oopherectomy. So it was all for nothing. Long story short, if there are ANY other possible or probable options on the horizon, I'd consider them first. I suspect even a tubal ligation is safer, but haven't had the need to look into it. I just think the body could absorb one egg a month easier than it could absorb millions of sperm a day. Only you can determine if that's something you want to ask or if it's fair to do so, though.

Otherwise, best of luck! Snip away and have fun like there's no consequence!!

P.S. If the OP wants to talk more, feel free to PM me.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    had one several years ago, i was off the bike for a week at the most. no problems.

slow
    Had I read this thread before mine, I might not have gone through with it. Mine was done 15 years ago and there were no problems. Rode my bike around the neighborhood with the kids the same afternoon, but followed doctor's orders not to ride off road for 7-10 days. I was nervous on the drive to the doc's office, but the most uncomfortable part of the whole experience was having a training nurse observing along with the regular assisting nurse and the doc. Felt like I should have sold tickets to the show.

mtbr member

I had one like 8yrs ago. Walked home 6 blocks. My GF had no sympathy and she's a nurse!

I rode my bike around town too early and caused some minor bleeding so I stopped for a while.

No real pain or discomfort after the surgery healed in a couple weeks. I ride my bike lots and never give it a second thought.

I know a dozen or so riders who have been snipped and nobody has mentioned any pain after the procedure.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

DFA
    mtbr member
    Remembered the frozen peas. Forgot to close my email before leaving for the hospital, though. Came home to an email from an old girlfriend open on the computer screen and a GF with all her stuff stacked in the living room. Read the email. Fairly innocuous "how are things going I'm living/working in Italy how are things going with you and _____?" Really? You're bent out of shape over THIS? She's LIVING in ITALY. She's asking how things are going with US.......can you get me those peas out of the freezer?

In hindsight, it was a sign of things to come.

mtbr member
    Remembered the frozen peas. Forgot to close my email before leaving for the hospital, though. Came home to an email from an old girlfriend open on the computer screen and a GF with all her stuff stacked in the living room. Read the email. Fairly innocuous "how are things going I'm living/working in Italy how are things going with you and _____?" Really? You're bent out of shape over THIS? She's LIVING in ITALY. She's asking how things are going with US.......can you get me those peas out of the freezer?

Oh man, I feel your pain. Two days after mine, my ex surprised me by showing up with her kids to get the last of their stuff out of my house. We had broken up months before. I said I couldn't help move anything. Why she asked, well basically because I just committed to never having kids again. Awkward.

Sucks, and you being in such a vulnerable position. Hard to run away from the frying pan in your physical state.

mtbr member
    Getting snipped was SMRT. Last thing you want to do is be tied to a lady like that for life.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Getting snipped was SMRT. Last thing you want to do is be tied to a lady like that for life.
    Maybe the email wasnít why she left. Just saying, have you thought about that DFA? Iím not sure on your finances, or whatever, but many are out to trap the unsuspected. Better off this happened if thatís the case.

DFA
    mtbr member
    Maybe the email wasnít why she left. Just saying, have you thought about that DFA? Iím not sure on your finances, or whatever, but many are out to trap the unsuspected. Better off this happened if thatís the case.
    She never left, not for another year or so. Married with 3 kids now, so my decision was sound. PSA: French Canadian women are nuts. All of them. The funny part is, I met her in the chat room of the old MTBR site. Go figger.

mtbr member
    Going in Monday. Wish me luck folks!
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Good luck

Well that was a soothing warm thought wishing tribute.

mtbr member
    Good opportunity to do some manscaping, which is needed now that speedo season is fast approaching.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Going in Monday. Wish me luck folks!
    Piece of cake....when itís over youíll wonder what all the fuss is all about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Had mine about 5-6 years ago. No issues post-op. Couple days' rest and back to normal activities.

One warning: my operating room was extremely cold. I mean, ridiculously cold. I wish I had kept my wool socks on. It nearly caused an issue, if you catch my drift. They almost cancelled and did it in a same-day surgery center rather than in-office. But in the end it all went okay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

I'm 34, had a vasectomy a year and a half ago. No problems, no pain. I mtb a lot and teach indoor cycling 3 times per week and have never felt any pain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
    Had mine about ....in-office. But in the end it all went okay.
    Not familiar with that procedure. Mine was done in front

mtbr member
    I had mine last June on a Thursday. I was doing fine till post op day 3. No swelling but pain. I went to back to work Monday and the pain was bad. No swelling. I was given antibiotics and the pain subsided. After the round antibiotics was done the pain came back. This would repeat after 2 more rounds of antibiotics. Pain would go away then back. Ultra sound was negative and I was started on nerve pain meds.
    I still have pain and it sucks! Itís not at as bad as it was but itís still not fun. I still ride and deal with it.
    You never know. I did everything by the book, rest, ice, everything. Iím stuck with the small percent that has chronic post vastectomy pain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Had mine a month ago. No issues. The procedure was painless (itís way worse thinking about it before surgery). Discomfort the first weekend, felt 100% in a week.

Mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Meh

I had mine about 4 years ago. The post vasectomy pain is a real thing, but it's not what everyone thinks it is. It comes and goes. It's almost like phantom limb pain to me. Every once in a while I would get this really sharp pain. It didn't last long, but it was really uncomfortable. After about 6-9 months it stopped and now 4 years down the road I have no issues. Plus.... No more babies. Totally worth it. Two is my limit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I jumped on my bike too soon, and one of the cut ends swelled up like a third nut. That was 30, count them 30 years ago. Back then our bikes rode something like Fred Flintstone's car, so that could have added to the situation. In any case, with a good amount rest time my third nut shrived up, I was back to riding, and it has not been an issue since.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarnes6 View Post
    I had mine about 4 years ago. The post vasectomy pain is a real thing, but it's not what everyone thinks it is. It comes and goes. It's almost like phantom limb pain to me. Every once in a while I would get this really sharp pain. It didn't last long, but it was really uncomfortable. After about 6-9 months it stopped and now 4 years down the road I have no issues. Plus.... No more babies. Totally worth it. Two is my limit.
    Gotta ask since Iím currently in this situation. What treatment if any did you go through. Iíve been on gabapentine and lyrica. Both I had to stop due to vertigo.

Moderator Moderator
    New equation: No Vasectomy + unexpected pregnancy = $$$$ + no sleep + no cycling = worth the risk?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    2 weeks and back on a bike, had about a year of odd tenderness. If my wife gets pregnant , their may be issues

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Lol

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I had one like 8yrs ago. Walked home 6 blocks. My GF had no sympathy and she's a nurse!

I rode my bike around town too early and caused some minor bleeding so I stopped for a while.

No real pain or discomfort after the surgery healed in a couple weeks. I ride my bike lots and never give it a second thought.

I know a dozen or so riders who have been snipped and nobody has mentioned any pain after the procedure.
    I had mine about 16 years ago. There were a few days of discomfort. Started riding two weeks later.

My wife's a nurse too. She's the queen of "Suck it up, Buttercup!" With my ankle surgery, she kept telling me to get up and walk, even though the orthopedic surgeon said , "No weight bearing!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    2 weeks and back on a bike, had about a year of odd tenderness. If my wife gets pregnant , their may be issues
    No issues unless the UPS driver has not had a vasectomy.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Had mine over a year ago. I was back on the bike in two weeks. I have had no issues or complications.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

No issues unless the UPS driver has not had a vasectomy.
    Zing

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Phrasing!

mtbr member
    Had mine Monday March 12th late in the day.

36 hours later (Wednesday morning) didn't feel really any after effects, except the bruising and sensitivity to touch in specific areas.

Took it real easy the first 24 hours with icing and generally easy until Thursday night. I have Vol Fire practice that night and thought I'd take it easy, but totally forgot once I got in the hall and trained like everyone else, which was on the intense side.

Saturday I did a 10km/350m fatbike. Minor discomfort after 3/4 of the ride after a long climb, but went away quickly.

Beyond that, haven't been doing too much, but I wouldn't be afraid to hop on the bike for a couple hours. Feel pretty much like 'normality' will be achieved in 2 weeks.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Had mine Monday March 12th late in the day.

36 hours later (Wednesday morning) didn't feel really any after effects, except the bruising and sensitivity to touch in specific areas.

Took it real easy the first 24 hours with icing and generally easy until Thursday night. I have Vol Fire practice that night and thought I'd take it easy, but totally forgot once I got in the hall and trained like everyone else, which was on the intense side.

Saturday I did a 10km/350m fatbike. Minor discomfort after 3/4 of the ride after a long climb, but went away quickly.

Beyond that, haven't been doing too much, but I wouldn't be afraid to hop on the bike for a couple hours. Feel pretty much like 'normality' will be achieved in 2 weeks.
    And you can bang without a care from here on out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I had mine done 4 yrs ago. Somewhat tender the first 24 hrs but no issues at all beyond that. I think I stayed off the bike for two weeks but I was traveling for work during that time so that was the plan anyway.

I even asked the Doc to raise the back of the chair so I could watch the procedure.

Note to anyone else considering this: Your doc should tell you this but just in case, you are NOT shooting blanks for a while yet after the procedure. Follow through with your post procedure labs until you get a repeatable zero count.

Anybody else get a buckling over, cringing feeling in your junk every time you open this thread?

Snow Dog
    I had the "Diabetes" vasectomy happen about 10 years ago....not the best way of doing it for the rest of my body, but oh well...thank you poor eating habits, weak will, and heredity!!

But yeah,,,reading this thread has been making me wince a bit

I never had, or wanted kids, so it is no big deal. I get enough "kids" with my students...and they go home at the end of the day so that I don't have to deal with all of it.
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Had mine done 4 years ago. No long-term pain and I cycle every day. Be very careful and wait the full 4 weeks before doing light duty riding and a full 6 weeks before going hard in the saddle. I noticed that two days after the surgery I felt great, not a lot of pain, felt fine. As soon as I would lift something heavy or move the wrong way I was paying for it for the next couple days.

mtbr member
    Ive had 2 vasectomies! YES 2! The first one was 4 years before my 3rd was born. The second was about 3 years ago.

No pain with riding at all... Just make sure you take it easy for the first week or so. Also, for what its worth. My first one was done by a regular doctor, the second by a urologist. The second was much less painful and the recovery was just a few days...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast