Thread: An Urban Epic?

amar la vida de dos niner

An Urban Epic?

Okay, so we weren't out in the wilderness. And with working part of the day, it wasn't an all-day affair. But I left the house at 9:30 and got back at 3:00, so it certainly *felt* epic! And I guess there were other epic-like features of my ride with David today.

For instance, it consisted of multiple legs. After I left my house, the first stretch of the ride led me to coffee and a muffin. Yum!

Then I rode on down to David's house to pick him up. He was in the middle of putting a new shifter on for the front derailleur.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

Once that task was complete, we headed on down to Lady Bird Johnson Lake, in downtown Austin. Just before we reached the lake, David made a spur-of-the-moment suggestion that we turn off on a different path, and go check out a new bike shop. Aha! Adventure!

We passed a very cool sculpture. Once at the shop, I set about shopping for a new helmet, as I had just discovered a crack in my old one. It turns out my friend Eileen is working there, so she helped me, plus gave us the tour of the place. Seems the owner is someone famous. I'll leave it to the pictures to tell the story.

is buachail foighneach me
    i really like the pic of the allen wrenches!

a day spent riding around the city/town running errands is really satisfying. it's the one thing i miss about city living.

Okay, back on track. Oh, wait. What's that over there? Let's go see what that is! (More adventure. ) Seems there was a "Bike Zoo" at the local Farmer's Market. Too cool!

Okay, *now* we're back on track. We used part of the hike-and-bike trail to work our way over to Zilker park, and the trail head for Barton Creek Greenbelt trail. Admittedly, we were having so much fun once we reached the "real" trail, we didn't mess with picture taking. Just a few when we reached what was to be our turnaround point. Then we went back home the way we came.

And that's the story of my urban epic ride. Now it's time for Chinese food!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    nice adventure.

I did a morning ride at BLORA and then found my way to Austin. I ate bbq at Ruby's on 29th St. for the first time and went sock shopping at BSS-Lamar. I forgot all about Lance's place being open--doh! I keep meaning to check it out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Scorpionwoman, I've seen lots of your pics and it appears that Austin has a great bike culture. (nice work and thanks for sharing by the way)

My brother is headed to Seguin and wanted me to find some good singletrack. Anything south of Austin worth the drive?

Thanks.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbone
    Scorpionwoman, I've seen lots of your pics and it appears that Austin has a great bike culture. (nice work and thanks for sharing by the way)

My brother is headed to Seguin and wanted me to find some good singletrack. Anything south of Austin worth the drive?

Thanks.
    Tim
    I'd start with www.austinbike.com. John has a really great resource for anyone to use.

When I was racing, we used a park in San Antonio that was fast and fun, if a little confusing in the quantity of short loops. Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort might be in the area to which you refer; it's very challenging.

Hopefully folks who drive more to ride will chime in. (I tend to stay pretty close to home.)

Interlectchewal

An Urban Top Fuel?

Nice pictures. However, Specialized's and Trek's lawyers have come to an agreement and the thread title must be changed. Also, you don't look very urban to me. Maybe the title should be changed to Adult Contemporary Top Fuel.

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    I knew it was Austin from those pictures. I love that city, but now that I'm in Colorado, it's MUCH better riding. Have fun with the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    Nice pictures. However, Specialized's and Trek's lawyers have come to an agreement and the thread title must be changed. Also, you don't look very urban to me. Maybe the title should be changed to Adult Contemporary Top Fuel.
    How about "Long Quiet Storm?"

Esoteric humor. Gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by keylay
    I knew it was Austin from those pictures. I love that city, but now that I'm in Colorado, it's MUCH better riding. Have fun with the heat.
    We don't mind it so much. It certainly won't keep us off the trail like sub-freezing weather and snow will! Brrr!

Gotta go. My son wants to hit the pool.

Slow is good
    Fantastic post Clair, exceptional pictures as usual. All of your posts are interesting even if you don't consider all of them epic. You certainly have an eye for taking pictures that turn ordinary items into art. I have a friend that plays guitar and would love that sculpture. Austin looks like a great place for riding, cool bike shop too.

Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the kind words.

The really cool thing about that sculpture is that it is kinetic: the top is several layers of moving bits, rotating and spinning in the breeze. It's possible it makes noise in the wind as well, but there was a crane truck parked close by with its engine running (window washers), so I'm not sure.

And I should have stated in my original post: I took pictures through those of the sculpture, then David took over after that.

banned
    This thread makes me think a trip to Austin is in order. Thanks!

Ride, Sleep, Work
    Scorpionwoman:
    Is that a custom painted Salsa Dos9 I see there?
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW
    Scorpionwoman:
    Is that a custom painted Salsa Dos9 I see there?
    Indeed it is! Good eye!

You can see her story here, if you'd like (with plenty of discussion along the way).
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...48723#poststop

Members who have read this thread: 0