Tunes or No Tunes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tunes or No Tunes?

I found that this is one thing all riders can't agree on. Some ride with music, to pace them, relax them, or pump them up. Some say its a distraction and you can't enjoy the ride with music. I agree, some rides are better without music. But I sometimes ride with. You?

Life is Good
    I never ride with music. Just my preference though. As long as people who do don't put others in danger, I have no issues with it, just not my thing.

I believe this has been argued quite a bit, by the way. Oh, and if this is the only thing you found that all riders can't agree on, you need to read the forums a bit more
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I know this isn't the ONLY thing. But I hear about it alot in my riding groups, both MTB and road.

Something goes here...
    I'm with on the trails...w/o on the road (for obvous reasons). I find I ride faster and can actually concentrate on the technical stuff a bit better.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder

I find myself enjoying gravel more and more lately...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    No way. The sound of my tires going over mud and the sound of my gears changing and my brakes squeeking and the leaves rustling and bugs buzzing is more beautiful than any music.

May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    No way. The sound of my tires going over mud and the sound of my gears changing and my brakes squeeking and the leaves rustling and bugs buzzing is more beautiful than any music.
    I totally agree. The only times i listen to music are live in person, in my truck, and in my room at home. I am a big believer in feeling the energy of a certain situation which music tends to change. I am not a hippy i swear

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Music hath soothed the savage beast....

mtbr member
    That's a question I've put a lot of thought into.
    I do find that I ride faster/farther with music than without. But I can't hear hikers/other trail users ahead of time. And, I can't tell if someone is behind me. I'm thinking of trying out this new Azonic helmet that is supposed to have speakers in the temples, allowing you to hear your music and still hear things like other riders/hikers. We'll see.

mtbr member

No Tunes

Don't need no noise...........

The A-Train
    Apr 2006
    I jumped over a boombox once

thecentralscrutinizer
    No music.

The sound of the air over my ears, my heart, the tires contacting the ground, the animals shuffling in the leaves, the water rushing in the channel, and the sound of the chain are all that I need.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Wuss extraordinare
    I have it but real low, so low in fact that when I get above about 15 it just gets drown out by the wind and becomes a slight background, that way I can still hear if somebody is around or something is going wrong with my ride!

mtbr member
    Sometimes I listen to music and sometimes I don't. On the mountain I prefer to hear the noises of nature. The small lizards on the side of the trail, the monstrously huge sounding bird or squirrel in the bushes, I even like to hear the occasional sound of a cyclist coming down the hill while I'm climbing up it. If I'm doing a long solo ride, I do tend to bring the shuffle along to keep me entertained. It all depends on the situation.

If I'm riding in a group on the road, I prefer to be cordial and talk or listen to everyone else. If I riding by myself, I will be bringing the music with me.

I never really thought all that much about it. But now that I have actually proofread my message, I guess I bring the tunes if I'm riding solo.
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

No good in rock gardens..
    I just play tunes in my head.......
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    On the road alone - YES - definately have the nano cranked up, er, medium.... loud enough to rock on , low enough to hear traffic / other just fine. In a group - maybe 1 ear bud in on low...

Mountain - 75% of the time no. Faster, harder workouts alone? YES!

Agree w/others about mtn though - too distracting and it's nice to not hear ANYTHING in the woods on longer rides.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Dec 2006
    I have to have tunes. If I forget to bring my MP3, I feel the same as if I forgot my gloves or shoes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Tunes occasionally on a solo night ride. Nothing like some Zombie or Manson to drown out all of the unseen things that go "bump" in the night.
    '06 Trek Fuel EX6
    Technical Skills Meter: 0

Scribb
    Just curious: for the people who do listen to tunes and say it makes for faster rides, have you actually measured this, or is it just an impression? What's the delta?

I thought I'd love listening to tunes while riding, and then found it more distracting than trance setting. But I do find myself creating rhythms in my head, connecting the stroke of the crank, breathing, heart rate, whatever. Now if I could only get some Barney the Dinosaur songs on my MP3 player...
    Life. It's bigger.

Nov 2005
    When I ride my 20" I tend to listen to music, and I find I tend to ride about twice as long and ride that I ride harder when I have some music to take my mind off people walking by or little sounds that bother me.

This makes me wonder if I ought to do the same with mountain bikes to get better exercise, but considering my 20" has no brakes, gears, or suspension there's a lot more to listen to when on the mtb.

Jul 2006
    I'm not a huge fan of riding with music, especialy on the trail. The peace of no music can be a nice change from the everyday rush.

Life is Good
    Curiously, now that some people have mentioned it, I also make up little tunes or repeat certain songs over and over again in my head while riding. It's weird, but a certain line of a random song (usually what I was listening to when I was getting ready to leave) will get stuck in my head and remain with me for the duration of the ride, unless of course, something like a wipeout happens which usually "wipes" the slate clean, no pun intended.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Nov 2006
    I bike during the week on the road I live on, making several loops to make the miles. Since there's only about 5 houses on the one-mile road, there's little traffic. I generally ride with tunes when I'm riding from home. On trails or on busier roads I don't. I generally figure on trails I need to be able to hear if the bike is making any funny noises and if anyone is coming up on me that I need to yield to. I also like the quiet. I tried using just one earpiece when on semi-busy roads, but the earpiece itself creates a lot of wind noise, so I just ditched it. Besides, I don't want to have to be fumbling for the controls if a song comes on that I'm not in the mood for.

I've been trying to find dirt country roads around where I live where I can just park at a church or something (asking for their permission, of course) and maybe putting the tunes on then. I generally go with moderate stuff like Sting, world music, Clannad, Luka Bloom (he actually has a song about biking called "The Acoustic Motorbike"), etc. When I want to pick up the pace more, I have a folder on my player with stuff like Green Day, All American Rejects, and Yellowcard.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    When I ride around town (we have paved exercise paths; no car traffic) I bring my shuffle + armband. I don't think it makes me faster but it keeps things going.

I don't do much trail riding (sadly), but when I do I generally leave the player at home.

happy amateur
    I use music when riding my HT for exercice but never when I am riding my FS on the trail. I feel like I have a better overview then. It is also nice to hear the sound on King hubs on the trails...

mtbr member
    I have this feeling you could crank any portable music player all the way up and still clearly hear King hubs
    Quote Originally Posted by la1hka
    I use music when riding my HT for exercice but never when I am riding my FS on the trail. I feel like I have a better overview then. It is also nice to hear the sound on King hubs on the trails...
    As to the original question music or none........When I got my iPod a couple months ago I thought it would be great to take on rides since I do a lot of solo rides and in the beginning I did take it on some rides, but now I find I don't. For solo training road rides it definitely helps in keeping the pace up I find, yet at the right volume you can still hear vehicles coming up on you and I use it for them (sadly don't do to many now since "it's the season to be merry", hence too many intoxicated drivers).

I will try taking it on the trails in the future to get ready for the LT100 I'm planning on doing to help keep the pace up and boredom down when just slugging out a training ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

beer thief
    I received an ipod for Christmas and used it on a solo ride the other day. It was excellent. I will continue to use it when riding alone.

Gus, just Gus.
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Judd97
    Curiously, now that some people have mentioned it, I also make up little tunes or repeat certain songs over and over again in my head while riding. It's weird, but a certain line of a random song (usually what I was listening to when I was getting ready to leave) will get stuck in my head and remain with me for the duration of the ride, unless of course, something like a wipeout happens which usually "wipes" the slate clean, no pun intended.
    This is exactly the way I am. I should just bring music, because I have an inner jukebox going all the time anyway. Then again, I am a freak about music, I love it and listen whenever I can. It is odd that I have never brought tunes with me on the trail, but I think I am going to try it on the next small solo ride. I ride a practically barren trail, so the worry of other riders is practically nonexistent. If I were to ride some of the more popular spots in the area, I wouldn't consider music at all... as I am not the fastest climber and don't want to hold anyone up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I never listen to music. Just not my thing. But it seems i'm always "infected" or infecting someone with some super lame music during a ride. It's weird, I'll be riding through the woods and some terrible song will pop in my head and I have to sing it. Not like full on belting it out...just a bit of the chorus. The funny thing is, later, I'll hear someone else signing it because I "infected" them. I think it's a great way to mess up someone's rythm while riding.

"it's the last chance, the last chance...for loooooove..."

mtbr member
    I use tunes when I'm riding to get miles in. When I hit the singletrack, it stays home. I've found it helps improve a boring ride (which is what I'm stuck with most of the time, not close enough to good trails to hit them regularly).

tunes...

I've ridden with tunes for years, biking and snowboarding, going back to the old cassette walkman days. I find if I don't, I'll get some awful song or radio jingle stuck in my head repetitively. Usually I have the earphones behind my ears so it's more background noise than anything else. It makes me feel like I'm riding smoother, whatever that's worth.

I've broken one of those!

Solo = Tunes

I use one earbud in my left ear for road, trail solo rides, and races. I hate road riding so I have to kill the monotony. I like a nice calm soundtrack when on a trail solo, which is extremely rare since my gf & son ride with me now. When I race, I have a playlist that could make Ted Nugent's hair fall out and probably kill most country music fans.
    "It's not his fault that he's an adorable, unstoppable killing machine."

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I use my Shuffle for my training rides which is a mix of road and trail. Leaving home without it is similar to leaving home without the spare tube and CO2....I feel vulnerable! I never use it in group rides or at races, though going solo at a 6 Hr or greater race may warrant some good jams.

The current playlist, though a bit off topic, on my Shuffle is mostly fast and loud with some relatively tamer stuff loaded....Hum, Chevelle, Tool, Candlebox (old-school), Blink-182, Tragically Hip, Pearl Jam...

mtbr member

Solo

I suffer better when I have tunes. I feel like it's rude to the folks I ride with if i'm in a group, but since 90%of my riding is done solo, it's usually no big deal. Also, the trails around my part of the world aren't overly used, (I generally never see another soul), so conflict becomes a non issue too. When I ride road, the music stays at home, but on dirt? It's like having your own soundtrack. Yeah I have to have it
    luck favors the prepared.

banned
    Every ride. The Ipod is standard gear.

Rolling
    The posts on this thread are really interesting. This thread pops up every here and there and in the past, most of the posts seem to be against music on rides with arguments about not hearing other riders coming, rudeness, and other dangers of not being able to hear over that Judas Priest.

But suddenly, the thread seems more pro-music....or at least not against others doing it.

I might be wrong, but it seems times have changed.

involuntary dismounter
    no tunes while on the trails for this gal...i'm a purist!

but i do blast the mp3 player in the car on the way to and from the trail!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Baby-heads.... oh joy!

Tunes for me,

When I am solo riding, which is about 95% of the time. If I forget the I-pod for a ride, it is like others stated, like riding without my gloves or a spare tube. But when I ride with others, I am without tunes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't understand why people listen to music on trails. I can understand listening while doing something such as jogging because that is a boring activity and music makes it more interesting. But MTBing is not boring, why do you need music for? Not to mention you probably won't hear things that could be important for your safety such as another rider nearby.

I demand that everyone who listens to music on the trails stops doing it.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    every time I've thought about riding with music i forget to bring it along. So i've never done it. Even though I want to try it. I'm not sure if I'll like it though, I love the quiet and hearing the random wilderness noise!
    ~ it's all good ~

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    On the mountain bike I ride noiseless, I enjoy the serenity of the wilderness waayyy too much. But on the roadbike I normally ride with it, road riding is uber boring most of the time so I have to do something to jazz it up.

mtbr member
    For sure no tunes on the trails for me. The only time I listen to music on the bike is on low while riding around town on the road or paved trails. It would feel too weird on the trails for me.
    Looking to buy Vintage Brodies, Rocky Mountain's and steel Dekerf or Cove hardtails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I need tunes when jogging but it's optional when biking. If i feel safe(not on road) I like to have the tunes on.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Offtime3123
    I found that this is one thing all riders can't agree on. Some ride with music, to pace them, relax them, or pump them up. Some say its a distraction and you can't enjoy the ride with music. I agree, some rides are better without music. But I sometimes ride with. You?
    Personally, I prefer to listen to the sound of the ride. Also, I ride in a group, so it's nice to be able to listen to them. If I were riding solo and doing a fireroad climb, some music would be nice.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    No tunes. Jeez. I need to concentrate. You know how you turn off the car stereo when you're trying to find an address? That's me on the trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Since I mostly ride on an exercise trail it's no tunes for me. Joggers, other bikers, cars (the trail intersects some major and minor roads in the area quite a bit) are a hazard.

On trails I'd rather be able to hear other bikers or horses. Or that guy screaming "Bear!".

mtbr member
    May 2006
    definitely need my ipod on all rides. i only use the right earplug though so i could hear everything around me. without music i have a tendancy to tune out and not concentrate, which means i don't hear things around me as well. music definitely helps a lot for me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    SUPERDUDE... I will stop listening to my IPod as of today. Thanks for that mandate.

I've never run into any problems as a result of listening while riding, but I've doing it for years so I'm used to it. I'm constantly visually vigilant on the road and on the trails.

I tried racing once with tunes and it threw off my game horribly. I haven't done so since then.

mtbr member
    I'm also a jukebox in my head player...actually, it's more of a broken record. The last song I hear in the truck on the way to the trail plays over and over and over.

I just bought a shuffle for use on the elliptical trainer. I could just crank a CD, but my wife doesn't appreciate Zombie any time of the day.

I never plug in on the trails. I mostly ride in groups, so it's a social activity. Even solo, the crunch of the leaves is soundtrack enough, along with the broken record that inadvertenly plays. The few road rides I do might be different, though...

As for the phenomenon of personal music players in general, well, as a teacher and dorm counselor at an independent high school I see so many kids constantly plugged in and find it rather asocial. Groups of kids will walk together down the street, all with little white cords sprouting from their ears. This just looks stupid when in remotely social settings.

Time and Place.

Aug 2006
    i dont listen to music while i ride.........for me its kinda like driving with a cell phone its just plain distracting

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

never

I used to need tunes all the time (back in the day) and now agree with most of the riders above who say the sound of their bikes on dirt is enough. I also like to acknowledge other riders or hikers I meet but I've just given up on saying anything if they have wires hanging out of the ears. Why waste my time, they're busy doing something else.

When in doubt, go faster
    I ride with it when i know the trail very well. When I dont, hell no I dont.

bi-winning
    No music. Always no music.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

BBW
    mtbr member

sometimes

When I started MTB I used to ride without music. Then I started to ride longer and with better skills. Sometimes I had to ride tarmac for 1 hour with some pretty steep uphills to get to the trail and when I don't play music there the only thing I hear is the sound of hyperventilation
    So I started to ride with music and I like it a lot.
    When I ride in group= without music
    solo= music
    crowded trail and solo= 1 ear only and low just to be able to hear the surroundings

I guess it's personal preference but I do think that the more skills you have the more comfortable you feel with music (just like someone comented on driving a car, when you are learning you don't want any distractions cause you can't process too many things at that time. Right now, I focus so much more on a technical situation with music )

mtbr member
    I think its annoying when you keep asking to get around a slower rider on the trail and he keeps ignoring you, only to find out that he is "tuned out" instead of tuned into whats really important---his surroundings. Leave the ipods at home and get in touch with whats real and important. Hear your labored breath, listen to the squirrels scratching the trees as you scare them off the trail, hear someone behind you asking to get by.

Dec 2006
    do what i did and find an abandoned area that is actually good for mountain biking although i never thought about listening to music now i might cuz i do have an ipod shuffle

mtbr member
    I use to be a nonbeliever with music, I'd hate coming across people on the trail hiking or jogging with headphones that couldn't hear me screaming at them that I was approaching. So for a long time I was against it. Now that I have a cellphone with a music player in it, I gave it a shot and won't ride solo without now. I just keep the volume down enough to hear other people coming or talking to me. And a good metal/hard rock playlist helps keep me pushing on those hard climbs.

There is NO Punk Bible!

Nope...

...no tunes whilst riding. Before the ride and after, definitely!
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American Public." - Theodore Roosevelt

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    No tunes.
    I'm an old fart, and I ride with other old farts. We need to be able to hear each other
    call out when we get a cramp, mechanical, heart attack, etc.

Besides, Sinatra doesn't really translate to the trail that well
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I'm with on the trails...w/o on the road (for obvous reasons). I find I ride faster and can actually concentrate on the technical stuff a bit better.
    I'm exactly the opposite, I've got MP3 rockin on the pave to dirt, and take it off to enjoy all the sounds of nature,and of my tires ripping through corners!

There is NO Punk Bible!

Xterradork...

Quote Originally Posted by Xterradork
    No tunes.
    I'm an old fart, and I ride with other old farts. We need to be able to hear each other
    call out when we get a cramp, mechanical, heart attack, etc.

Besides, Sinatra doesn't really translate to the trail that well
    .... I love it! Very funny! I may be old too, somewhat, but definitely not listening to Sinatra type of crooning. My kind of music gets the heart rate going, even when I am at rest, so if I rode while listening, well,... someone had better know CPR!!
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American Public." - Theodore Roosevelt

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

tunes while riding with others?

Neither me or my riding partners ever have tunes when we're all riding together, and I've already said I don't when I'm riding by myself. How about you out there who do ride with tunes, do you wear your ipods with other riders? Are they wearing tunes too? Do you keep the volume so low you can communicate or do you all have an understanding that you won't try to communicate so you crank up the volume? Are you poised to yank out one earbud when someone does say something, out of courtesy? Or is riding in a group, all with tunes, all cranked up to the max, no one communicating just something that happens these days and it's all good? Not being facetious here, I used to need tunes all the time as well, but I sorta got out of that phase by the time I started mountain biking.

Oh, yeah, are you ever worried about snagging an earbud wire on a passing branch? Just asking.

I'm a unitard!
    If I'm on the road bike alone, sometimes I'll ride with a bud in the right ear. Have never done it on a mountain bike ride.

Dented n' Spent
    Never.... Tried it a couple of times (pre mp3 days) and it made me feel alien and removed from the bike (although I did really enjoy having the tunes). Mostly losing the sound of the tires on the ground was the big hangup for me. Can't even guess how many times I've been given an auditory warning that my tires were on the verge of slipping out from under me. I like to hear nature too and also know what my drivetrain is up to.

Then two years ago I had a minor (non-crash) colision with a roadie who didn't hear me say "on your left" because he had ear buds in - just turned into me for no apparent reason. That settled it for me.

But now reading this thread I'm rethinking my stance about certain types of riding. How 'bout some long uphill fireroad slog? Can't see not hearing really getting me into much trouble there other than possibly seeming unfriendly to someone coming up from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    I just play tunes in my head.......
    This is EXACTLY what I do! Right now I'm rockin on The Columbian Neckties. Only drawback is that it's 24-7 w/no off switch but it's great on singletrack!
    What kind of bike?​ I don'​t know,​ I'm not a bike scien​tist.

Jan 2006
    I have an MP3 player, but only use it at the gym. I dont care much for riding with it because of 3 reason

1) Can't hear when your bike is making a funny noise

2) Earbuds falling out all the time (anybody know of more sport oriented buds?)

3) Can't hear others on the trail, like when my buddy has fallen far behind and he's yelling for help (sorry Brian )

Jun 2004
    Not often but I do on long solo rides with a bud in one ear and the volume down low. I guess thats why I don't do it all the time, kind of pointless.
    Last edited by NappyT; 01-07-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Nov 2006
    I did a long ride on a forest road today. I brought my player thinking I would use it, but every time I thought about pulling it out, I decided not to. It was too nice to just have the quiet, the wind, and the occasional hawk call. So, I use it for roads, but I doubt it'll ever be something I opt for on trails, unless I go over to Oklahoma to do some big, flat stretch or something.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    If I am riding singletrack, I won't listen to music. Just so much going on that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it anyways.

If I am riding long distance on asphalt walking/biking trails, I will listen to music because I don't have to worry about obstacles and such. I will have my right earpiece in my ear and the left one I will dangle so I can hear around me for other cyclists who are passing.

Gnarley!!!!!
    Last edited by Burtonrider250; 01-08-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Gnarley!!!!!
    I demand that everyone who listens to music on the trails stops doing it.
    Yes sir! ......

If I don't have my Ipod with me when I am riding, my whole ride ..seems.... off. It gives me the extra boost, flow, and most importantly, motivation. It's just.. more fun!

Anyways, there is nothin like jammin to a tune while riding a gnarley downhill. Or listenin to dark side of the moon when flowin on the hilly sections.

Neither me or my riding partners ever have tunes when we're all riding together, and I've already said I don't when I'm riding by myself. How about you out there who do ride with tunes, do you wear your ipods with other riders? Are they wearing tunes too? Do you keep the volume so low you can communicate or do you all have an understanding that you won't try to communicate so you crank up the volume? Are you poised to yank out one earbud when someone does say something, out of courtesy? Or is riding in a group, all with tunes, all cranked up to the max, no one communicating just something that happens these days and it's all good? Not being facetious here, I used to need tunes all the time as well, but I sorta got out of that phase by the time I started mountain biking.

Oh, yeah, are you ever worried about snagging an earbud wire on a passing branch? Just asking.
    When I see people comming, I yank out one of my earbuuds, and give a friendly hello. My earbuds rarley get yanked out by trees, but it does happend. Nothing serious, though. When I am riding in groups, I don't listen to music, I would just ride solo then.

I guess it's all personal preferance, and not that big of a deal either way.
    Last edited by Burtonrider250; 01-08-2007 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just gotta have tunes for my training rides...not for races or group rides.

I can hear cars, and I keep an eye out for others. It's not a social call when I'm out riding but I wave to those I pass by or thank them for moving as I pass by. Or I'll reach down to pet the loose dogs that aren't allowed on the trails (since I like dogs...)

Jan 2007
    couldnt pay me to ride on the road while listening to music unless i could be 100000% sure i wasnt going to get run over.

as for the trails, i do ride with, but i keep it to a level so that i can hear my bike and whats mostly going on around me.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by HOG farmer
    I think its annoying when you keep asking to get around a slower rider on the trail and he keeps ignoring you, only to find out that he is "tuned out" instead of tuned into whats really important---his surroundings. Leave the ipods at home and get in touch with whats real and important. Hear your labored breath, listen to the squirrels scratching the trees as you scare them off the trail, hear someone behind you asking to get by.
    I agree 100%. I will never ride with music, ever. Here is why:

I love the sounds of nature, particularly the sounds of my own farts blowing out of my butt while riding.
    I hate it when I have to wait 2.23 seconds or more during my ride because someone listening to music didn't hear me approaching from behind. There is almost nothing worse. I have added up all the time I wasted behind people listening to music and have determined that I have lost 3.67 minutes of my life.
    I read all the time and have heard numerous tales of riders dying or getting seriously injured because they were mountain biking with music. I can't imagine what would happen if my earphone wire got caught on a tree or somethng. I suspect it would rip my neck clean off.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Gnarley!!!!!
    I can't imagine what would happen if my earphone wire got caught on a tree or somethng. I suspect it would rip my neck clean off.

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    That's a question I've put a lot of thought into.
    I do find that I ride faster/farther with music than without. But I can't hear hikers/other trail users ahead of time. And, I can't tell if someone is behind me. I'm thinking of trying out this new Azonic helmet that is supposed to have speakers in the temples, allowing you to hear your music and still hear things like other riders/hikers. We'll see.
    I use these sony headphones and hang them on my helmet straps near my ears.

Using my I-pod shuffle it's plenty loud enough to hear my music playing, and I can still hear my surounding environment.

Best of both worlds! I thought about permenantly attatching them to the helmet somehow. But hanging them on the straps has always worked just fin so I never make much progress on my home made built in helmet speaker system!

As to the orginal question. Sometimes I take my i-pod and never turn it on. And sometimes I blast the tunes the whole time.

It's funny, one trip last year I had my i-pod, my digital camera, my cell phone, and a GPS with me. If only I would have brought my laptop so I could have took a lunch break at the top of the trail and watched a movie...

Gnarley!!!!!
    That's a pretty good idea. So the buds aren't actually inside your ear, but more "hanging" near them?

Jan 2007
    Yes, those head phones are great, the bud is in your ear, but it does hang on your ear also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Double post....
    Last edited by aword4you; 01-10-2007 at 11:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hubby and I have been doing a lot of longer training rides on fire roads, so we both sport our respective iPods. I use a mono-bud with mine (hard to find now, but I got one about a year ago, it's just one ear bud and all the sound comes out of it, so one ear is completely uncovered and able to listen) and really enjoy it. It helps take my mind off of the continual climb.

I use it descending for the most part as well, but definitely don't turn up the volume too loud, and as I mentioned, it's only music in one ear, so the other is free to listen to trail sounds and conversation.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    No tunes.

I like listening to the sounds around me -- birds, insects, etc.

Members who have read this thread: 0