Ticket for biking, NYC sucks part 2 (still sucks)- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Phillygui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    110

    Ticket for biking, NYC sucks part 2 (still sucks)

    I know it may seem odd, but this thread started with me telling everyone about the lame ass ticket I got for riding on the sidewalk. Well, last Thursday was my court date, and since they wouldn't give me any info over the phone, I had to take a full day, get the bus which was $25 round trip, and then show up for my hearing. I get off the bus, pissed off cause I hate NYC now, and get right to the court. Gave myself 4 hours before my return ride home. Well wouldn't you know. I go to the clerk, and they tell me that the case was dismissed, and i can go home. Are you kidding me? I have called them about 20 times, with the calls ranging from 75% no one answering, 15% of someone who does not speak properly, and 10% where the person who answered literally screamed at me. No fun. So after all the BS, they didnt get anything out of it. I mean seriously, think about the administrative fees they spent processing the ticket, phone time, police time etc, and then they made nothing off of it. Man I really hope the Dems can federalize healthcare. I would love that kind of service when my or my family's lives are on the line.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: misctwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,034
    i'll bet 9 out of 10 people wouldn't pay that ticket anyway. new york red tape sucks, you need to catch people on their good day to help you.

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    54
    i despise the city, that's how savages live

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: misctwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,034
    the crazy thing is, you would be amazed how much a receptionist or city clerk makes....and don't talk to me about their pension.

    nyc mass rides are fun though. strength in numbers...armed with kryptonites

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    148
    What a waste of time. Man I can't wait to move out of the city area.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    286
    yeah, the receptionist is probably pulling down $65k per year and has a nice fat pension, but think about it. Where else can you rent a stuido apartment for $2k per month?

  7. #7
    Hey, wait up!
    Reputation: LCdaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygui
    .... Man I really hope the Dems can federalize healthcare. I would love that kind of service when my or my family's lives are on the line.
    Well, since you had to go and get all F88 on the thing

    Yeah, un-"federalized" healthcare is working so well right now; almost as well as un-"federalized" gasoline

    I don't see how Democratic federalization has any nexus to your traffic ticket. Sounds like a purely local bureaucratic accomplishment.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,740
    don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
    Had that been even so much as a parking ticket you would have been overjoyed it got dismissed.

    Welcome to NY

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by rutkiller
    Where else can you rent a studio apartment for $2k per month?
    Marin.

    And San Francisco.

    But since I live in Marin... It hurts me more

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    You think it's tough in NYC? Try Germany. Nothing works here. Nobody knows their job, nobody cares to help, and everyone gives you a different story.

    I have no idea how this country got a reputation for being so orderly and work-driven. Furthermore, I have no idea how whatever works here works so well.

  11. #11
    wanna dance?
    Reputation: HotBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,073
    Bikes are dumb.

    Get a car, hippie!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,003
    You have to be from NY to understand NY. It's too fast for most people. That's where the term, "fast as a New York minute" came from. New York soul. Unique to itself...but part of the world's soul.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: longman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    You have to be from NY to understand NY. It's too fast for most people. That's where the term, "fast as a New York minute" came from. New York soul. Unique to itself...but part of the world's soul.
    world's soul? I've never been and will NEVER go there, what a poohole. Getting along just fine without that part of the world's soul thanks. Mountains, trees, rivers, birds, animals, singletrack...all the world's soul I need in little ol' Colorado.

  14. #14
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    You think it's tough in NYC? Try Germany. Nothing works here. Nobody knows their job, nobody cares to help, and everyone gives you a different story.

    I have no idea how this country got a reputation for being so orderly and work-driven. Furthermore, I have no idea how whatever works here works so well.
    Welcome to german "customer service"

    Things do work, but it takes some time, asking and reading usually to figure out what, when, how things should be done....but I do get what you mean sometimes asking the people"in charge" is even more confusing

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crager34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    384
    So... you are pissed off for getting a ticket for riding on the sidewalk, where you shouldn't be riding (one) and your pissed that you had to waste all that time getting to court, just to find out they dismissed the ticket (two).

    How about some personal responsibility.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Phillygui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    You have to be from NY to understand NY. It's too fast for most people. That's where the term, "fast as a New York minute" came from. New York soul. Unique to itself...but part of the world's soul.
    I get along fine with how "Fast" it is, having lived all over the country including Hell-A. Its the fact that I couldn't send in my bicycling ticket and pay the fine, I had to appear in court because it was a criminal ticket. Cops in Philly don't have time to issue BS tickets like that. Guess we are 2 fast,2 furious?

  17. #17
    don't move for trees
    Reputation: BKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,832
    Have you ever ridden in or around NYC? it's a complete mad house, I will not put my life on the line riding on the street, not worth it.
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

  18. #18
    pedalhead
    Reputation: fakebeave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    147
    New York City pwns all your fac3s.

    "Cops in Philly don't have time to issue BS tickets like that."

    You spelled Philthy wrong.

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    181
    Had the same thing happen with a parking ticket in NYC once, got there & they said they lost the paperwork, go home.

    Of course that was after standing in line for about 2 hours, but better than having to pay the ticket on top of it.

    I used to love hanging out in the east village before it became all gentrified & sanitized, I avoid NYC like the plague these days, amazing how much things can change in 12 years.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,867
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    world's soul? I've never been and will NEVER go there, what a poohole. Getting along just fine without that part of the world's soul thanks. Mountains, trees, rivers, birds, animals, singletrack...all the world's soul I need in little ol' Colorado.
    Sad.

    That's all I can say about that.

    Culture, food, art, style, public transportation, design, history, power - and a fantastic human spirit abound - even riding the G subway at 2 in the morning.

    Nevermind the highest concentration of beautiful people this side of the Atlantic. Man, walking down 5th avenue on a hot summer day ought to give most guys (from my POV as a guy) whiplash.

    Rural Colorado and Urban NYC compliment and highlight the others stregths perfectly, in fact.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,003
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Sad.

    That's all I can say about that.

    Culture, food, art, style, public transportation, design, history, power - and a fantastic human spirit abound - even riding the G subway at 2 in the morning.

    Nevermind the highest concentration of beautiful people this side of the Atlantic. Man, walking down 5th avenue on a hot summer day ought to give most guys (from my POV as a guy) whiplash.

    Rural Colorado and Urban NYC compliment and highlight the others stregths perfectly, in fact.
    I'm originally from Northern New Jersey, so New York is runnin' through my veins, so to speak.Since I was a kid.I love New York. And hate it at the same time! A lot of New Yorkers will tell you the same thing.Sorry about the ticket.(That sucks! ) But thats New York...? (Who knows why... ... ---zarr

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fritZman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    world's soul? I've never been and will NEVER go there, what a poohole. Getting along just fine without that part of the world's soul thanks. Mountains, trees, rivers, birds, animals, singletrack...all the world's soul I need in little ol' Colorado.
    Gotta agree with glenzx. NYC is a place that needs to be experienced at least once... and be prepared to be surprised.

    A year ago, there's no way I would have said the same. I normally hate cities of any kind. Line ups, noise, and excessive consumerism disgust me.

    However, last fall I went to NYC for a weekend with my wife and we were blown away. The weather was perfect and we walked all weekend absorbing as much of the culture as possible (which varies quite a bit from village to village). Transportation was easy and the locals where beyond friendly.

    Central park is quite a rush literally going from downtown racket to peace and quiet as you decend the roughly 20 feet into the park.

    NYC is a place which resets any standards you previously had (the size, the people, etc...). Like it or hate it, NYC is an experience which will be as profound as any new epic MTB outing - and I'm a firm believer that you have to experience all extremes to truely appreciate what you value as paradise.

    In a way, you've got to be thankful for places like NYC because if that many people in a concentrated area were spread out, you likely wouldn't have as many remote place to enjoy the tree/rivers/singletrack...

  23. #23
    wanna dance?
    Reputation: HotBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    world's soul? I've never been and will NEVER go there, what a poohole. Getting along just fine without that part of the world's soul thanks. Mountains, trees, rivers, birds, animals, singletrack...all the world's soul I need in little ol' Colorado.
    Since we're talking about our own personal opinions here, I'll say, I agree with yours. I've been there more times than I care to recall, and every time I go I swear I'll never go back. Oh, I "got" NYC, I just don't value it. It's like jamming a hundred rats into a 1 foot square cage, all clawing each others eyes out and crapping down on each other. In the end they still get nowhere but wind up blind and full of sh*t.

    Between LA and NYC, it's hard to figure out which is Americas festering crotch.

    The only up side I've found is, it keeps the people it attracts out of everywhere else.

  24. #24
    wanna dance?
    Reputation: HotBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by fritZman
    However, last fall I went to NYC for a weekend with my wife and we were blown away. The weather was perfect and we walked all weekend absorbing as much of the culture as possible (which varies quite a bit from village to village). Transportation was easy and the locals where beyond friendly.
    What??? Where did you go? That sounds nice! I never saw nice.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,003
    Quote Originally Posted by fritZman
    Gotta agree with glenzx. NYC is a place that needs to be experienced at least once... and be prepared to be surprised.

    A year ago, there's no way I would have said the same. I normally hate cities of any kind. Line ups, noise, and excessive consumerism disgust me.

    However, last fall I went to NYC for a weekend with my wife and we were blown away. The weather was perfect and we walked all weekend absorbing as much of the culture as possible (which varies quite a bit from village to village). Transportation was easy and the locals where beyond friendly.

    Central park is quite a rush literally going from downtown racket to peace and quiet as you decend the roughly 20 feet into the park.

    NYC is a place which resets any standards you previously had (the size, the people, etc...). Like it or hate it, NYC is an experience which will be as profound as any new epic MTB outing - and I'm a firm believer that you have to experience all extremes to truely appreciate what you value as paradise.

    In a way, you've got to be thankful for places like NYC because if that many people in a concentrated area were spread out, you likely wouldn't have as many remote place to enjoy the tree/rivers/singletrack...
    Trapped in New York...mmm...Well a lot of people are! Next time you go there, tell people you like about how nice the big country is.But don't knock the folks there (As some of the people in this thread are doing).Like Frank Sinatra said, "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere...It's up to you New York,...New York!!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,003
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    What??? Where did you go? That sounds nice! I never saw nice.
    New York Soul. Everywhere rolled up in one spot.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,867
    Quote Originally Posted by fritZman

    In a way, you've got to be thankful for places like NYC because if that many people in a concentrated area were spread out, you likely wouldn't have as many remote place to enjoy the tree/rivers/singletrack...
    You nailed it way better than i could - nice post!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,867
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack

    Between LA and NYC, it's hard to figure out which is Americas festering crotch.
    That ones easy - LA! Duh.

    Seriously though, like anyhwere, NYC has it's upsides (real pizza) and downsides (the stink in Chinatown from the vegetable markets on a hot summer afternoon - whoa! And of course - parking tickets ). Otherwise, pretty much everywhere has a 'festering crotch' aspect.

    My current home - Santa Fe, NM - for example: Epic out-the-door riding (good), 65% high school drop out rate ~ land of lazy idiots (bad). Pizza here - terrible. Green Chile? Great! Life is a weird sort of balancing act I suppose, mixing the good with the bad, the ups and downs, and all that.

    Much like people - go figure.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  29. #29

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    For the crotch of America, try Hartford Ct. Perhaps the most depressing place in America (that i've been to).

    I recently moved to Germany, so I get bike lanes, a bike "highway", low to no usage of the car (it has a full tank of gas and has sat in the garage for weeks), concrete homes that stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and some other stuff. Lots of downsides that do leave me longing for the big city again, but I'm staying put. The quality of life is great here.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Screamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    370
    It's funny how some bikers think they are above the law or that laws don't apply to them when they ride on public streets and sidewalks.
    Bikers want respect when they ride but at the same time they don't want to give it to those that have the right of way.

  31. #31

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11
    I live in pa but have to go to nyc quite often because my parents live near there, its definetely impressive to see and quite and experience but to live there I would eventually slit my wrists probably. There is one good aspect of that city though, it seems like theres always tons of beautiful women walking around.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    811
    Laws are laws.....its your own fault for not doing due diligence to know them. Why feed the beast if you know you can possibly get a ticket?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by BKnight View Post
    Have you ever ridden in or around NYC? it's a complete mad house, I will not put my life on the line riding on the street, not worth it.
    I have been to Manhattan recently. They have done a nice job for bikers....ever removed a whole driving lane just for them and no registration required. Tough shit man!!

Members who have read this thread: 46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.