Sunglasses telling me to keep riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Sunglasses telling me to keep riding

I wear prescription glasses and have been doing so for a while now.

I used to have a nice set which held on to mi head pretty good and could therefore also use while riding, then I got a newer set of glasses, which are nicer but aren't as good in terms of not moving all around with activity, so I kept wearing my old pair of glasses for riding.

A few months back the old set of glasses finally gave in and broke in one side, not repairable. This made me finally decide to get an actual cycling set of sunglasses which could also offer some dirt protection. I went for Shimano's EQX2, mostly because there's an ophthalmic clip (RX Clip) which allows me to integrate prescription glasses onto the sunglasses, but also because of the looks.

Now, I know some manufacturers like Oakley can actually integrate the prescription onto the sunglasses' lenses, but even though that's really nice, it's not affordable for me at the moment.

NOW ONTO THE INTERESTING PART:

I was riding this past Sunday in "El Desierto de los Leones" (Mexico City), about 60F, moist soil, humid-ish weather. The trail route I was riding consists of about 12 km of uphill riding followed by about the same amount downhill, of which in the end I didn't fully ride due to my not being at my fittest. I'll get there though.

While I was riding uphill I stopped to catch my breath at a point, then my sunglasses started getting a little foggy, removed them and started moving them around so the fog would go away, ad it did... after about 1 minute.

A couple more kilometers went by when I had to stop again, the sunglasses started getting foggy again, but this time I decided to continue riding, not 10 riding seconds had gone by when the fog was entirely gone.

It was as if my sunglasses were pushing me to keep riding and not to quit. I have to admit it was an amazing feeling. It made the buy so much more worth the expense than it already was.

I now LOVE my sunglasses.

TL;DR: found out that the quickest way to un-fog sunglasses after stopping is to just keep riding.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Cool! Glad to hear a positive story such as this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Great story!

Keep riding
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

9 lives
    Fun story
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    This story just brought me a great deal of joy- well done, and thanks for sharing the passion!

I didn't do it
    That's a pleasant surprise! Thanks for sharing.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Are you riding while you type this? If not, how can you see while you're sitting still?
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member
    Had the same experience Monday with my Oakleys. 150% humidity tends to promote my continued movement. My son thought it was funny, until we were blasting downhill in a light rain. He now wants a set of clear lenses.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    Are you riding while you type this? If not, how can you see while you're sitting still?
    LOL. I still have my normal set of prescription glasses

Thanks to everyone for the support

mtbr member
    For me its the mosquitos (a.k.a the Alaska state bird). If I stop I get eaten alive
    *Not a real mountain biker

since 4/10/2009
    Yep. Anything that fits me well enough that they don't move, don't allow debris to hit my eyes, and don't cause my contact lenses to flap in the breeze (very unsettling, that one) will fog if I stop riding.

My Oakleys even have vented lenses, so they clear REALLY fast once I start moving again.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by falconpunch79 View Post
    For me its the mosquitos (a.k.a the Alaska state bird). If I stop I get eaten alive
    Psh, when they comprise the local air force, we'll talk.

Professional Crastinator
    I like glasses that fit close to my face so they fog up easily. I like to keep moving, too.

I'm going to hand out some of those glasses at the next group ride!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    This time of year in Iowa, gnats (little black bugs that swarm around your face and bite) do the same thing

mtbr member
    Hearing such a story makes me feel stronger and very happy ! riding was , is , and will stay the best thing in the world .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Yep. Anything that fits me well enough that they don't move, don't allow debris to hit my eyes, and don't cause my contact lenses to flap in the breeze (very unsettling, that one) will fog if I stop riding.

My Oakleys even have vented lenses, so they clear REALLY fast once I start moving again.
    I was totally skeptical about the vented lenses when they first came out, but when I purhased a new set last year I remembered all the issues I had with fogging during winter rides and decided to get the vented clear lens. I wish I had done the same with the other lenses. I now realize that I wear the frame close to my head and those little holes really help clear the lens fast. Some of the stuff they put out is just Oakley being Oakley, but the venting the lenses works great.

We just need them to copy their masks and provide a fan option.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    I guess while we're on the subject. Does anyone have any recommendations for sunglasses that take prescription lenses, preferably on the affordable side?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    I guess while we're on the subject. Does anyone have any recommendations for sunglasses that take prescription lenses, preferably on the affordable side?
    Sunglasses, or cycling specific glasses that you can put a prescription into?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Mine (the ones mentioned in the original post) were reasonably priced, about the equivalent of $60US in Mexico (about 15 extra for the adapter) they should be cheaper un the US.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobaroo View Post
    Sunglasses, or cycling specific glasses that you can put a prescription into?
    The latter.