Stupid things that you do once, and once only...- Mtbr.com
    High Desert MTBer

Stupid things that you do once, and once only...

As a co-post with the thread about doing stupid things over and over, I kept coming up with things that I am sure you would only do ONCE... at least I would hope so...
    For me that was driving into a gas station with my ex-wife, and our 2 bikes on a rack on the roof. This was on the Isle Of Man many years ago, and the place had a very low canopy. After extensive and expensive repairs to the bikes, rack, car roof and awning, I think I got it. I bought a hitch rack...
    It's all Here. Now.

Just Ride
    Forgetting the helmet at home. I've only done that once. Such a pain in the ass to drive back and get it.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ONE TIME, and only one time, I spun my wheel with my finger in the brake rotor.

Lost a finger nail, but could have been much worse.

REALLY?
    I was going to say "come here to MTBR" - but that would be more than once.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Bunny hop two telephone poles 3 feet apart at the trail entrance. Don't know what possessed me to think I could make it.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Tried to bunny-hop a curb on my road bike. Rear tire exploded, rim was ok.
    Pivot Switchblade
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Lemond Zurich

Support OUR Wounded
    Bought a 10 year old Specialized FS 26er. Guess that was 3 things I'll only do once
    They were willing to give their lives for yours, some of them did, others just gave up their way of life. Support the WWP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post

Did the same thing and I will promise that I will never do that again on purpose
    Current Ride:2012 BAMF Full Nelson

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Now you have nine times left, hehe..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I frequently forget to change to the right size tube in my camelbak. Always have the one for the bike I rode yesterday.

Duh, didn't read the heading on a forum and posted in the wrong one. Like this one
    Last edited by mike1125biking; 03-25-2012 at 04:59 AM.
    Ride what you like, how you like, just remember that's what everybody else is doing too.

mtbr member
    Took my eyes off the trail while riding on a narrow ledge by the water...oops. Went for a swim where I'd seen some nice sized alligators before. Amazing how fast I scrambled up that steep embankment. Won't do that again.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

mtbr member
    Wiped my a$$ with poison ivy leaves.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

i have also done this, i didnt lose a nail but right after i thought... why the hell did i think that would be a good idea
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Wiped my a$$ with poison ivy leaves.
    hahaha that sucks! i cant imagine how much that sucked

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Using a teeter-totter as a launch ramp without checking the landing area first. The bike went a little bit sideways off the launch which would've been fine...except for the fact that there was a log ride after the teeter. Let's just say it didn't end well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Piss on an electric fence.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Let someone I didn't know ride my new bike

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Let the wife drive the car into an underground/low overhang garage in pearl city--yup, with the bike on top. smaaaashhhh, craaaack argh.

FireEye Shortfuse 380
    Mar 2012
    Once I told my wife how much I paid for a part for my raleigh...Never again,

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hucked an 8 foot drop on my 4" XC rig.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Rode some pretty nasty technical stuff with clipless pedals. After testing my body's ability to blood clot numerous times that day, I went platform.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
    Rode some pretty nasty technical stuff with clipless pedals. After testing my body's ability to blood clot numerous times that day, I went platform.
    The first time I rode the Colonnade under I-5 in Seattle I was riding clipless. I was fortunate and didn't bang myself up "too" badly but I too went out and bought flats before the next ride.

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Tried to bunny-hop a curb on my road bike. Rear tire exploded, rim was ok.
    Yeah, if only I could post that in this thread. Unfortunately, I've made the "forgot I was riding a road bike" mistake more than once. Sometimes I've gotten lucky, other times not so much. Never lost a rim yet, but have had to use the truing stand on occasion.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
    I would think this would be the opposite, except for needing clipless pedals that are easier to unclip. I just make sure pedals are well lubed and springy. But I suppose it also depends on how nasty the technical stuff is. I'm not all that great, so I hoist the bike a lot.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Recently I was changing out the Stans goop in a non- UST tire with a conversion kit. Once I finally got the tire to seat and all seamed perfect. I noticed the tire was mounted the wrong direction....URGHH

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ride Clipless.

Or

Buy a Crankbrothers Product

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You guys are a lot better at learning than I am. I can't think of anything I've done that was stupid that I didn't have occasion to repeat.
    Ride what you like, how you like, just remember that's what everybody else is doing too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Let the wife drive the car into an underground/low overhang garage in pearl city--yup, with the bike on top. smaaaashhhh, craaaack argh.
    Well at least it was your wife doing it not you. I did that once into a low garage. Fortunately it was just high enough to hit the top of the bars and slide the roof rack, made some noise and I stopped and didn't do much damage. But boy I was kicking myself for that one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace350 View Post
    Once I told my wife how much I paid for a part for my raleigh...Never again,
    If it was a Raleigh that must have been a long time ago. Or you're into vintage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
    Recently I was changing out the Stans goop in a non- UST tire with a conversion kit. Once I finally got the tire to seat and all seamed perfect. I noticed the tire was mounted the wrong direction....URGHH
    You've only done that once!? Well I catch it before the sealant goes in but it seems like I mount the tire going the wrong way about 1 out of 3 times.

Not as bad as trying to put a fitted sheet on a mattress though. I was thinking a couple of days ago that in all the times I have done that in my life I don't think I have ever gotten it right the first time. You would think the law of averages would let me win some times.

mtbr member
    Let "just a little bit" of air out of my fork...

mtbr member
    Turning up to a 30km XC race and realizing I'd left my camelbak at home.Which was 180km's from the race location. In the middle of summer.
    Not exactly my finest moment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Lean my leg up against my rear disk after bombing down the Kamikaze........

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by loopsb View Post
    Lean my leg up against my rear disk after bombing down the Kamikaze........
    Did it leave a rotor-shaped scar?

Coming into a double teeter too fast and being at the end of the second one before it dropped is something I hope to hell I never repeat. 6 foot drop to flat off a moving lip was not fun. I somehow managed to put both wheels on the ground before I crashed, which took the edge off, but the fright was enough to permanently sear it into my brain.

mtbr member
    I used to have Ksyrium Elite wheels (with the bladed spokes) on my road bike. I once was coasting downhill at about 20mph when my speedo quit working. I though, "I'll just reach down there and push the sensor closer to the wheel" 13 stitches later I still have a finger.

AND

Roof rack into carport while my landlord was watching...

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    By a road bike. Bought in moment of weakness during late winter doldrums. Now I have to sell the dang thing

cdouble
    http://mo7s.blogspot.com
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    – Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    First mtn bike in '94, loaded onto a trunk rack. I forgot to tie the frame to the rack, so as I accelerated down the highway I saw the frame in my rearview mirror start sliding further and further to the back of the mount bar. Those rack engineers earned their money and my respect that day, having the forethought to bend up the ends of the mount bars just a few inches. Who knew?!? Hmm... That detail saved my bike and a highway-related catastrophe. Needless to say, I quickly braked and remedied my error. I felt like an idiot and kept my mouth shut - until now!
    '09 Superfly SS
    '11 SE Stout SS

turtles make me hot
    Wow. My thing is relatively harmless in comparison to some of these. Quite a few times, I change into bike clothes and leave my house keys in my regular clothes. I come home from the ride and can't get in the house. I really don't care when it's nice out.
    I like turtles

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Saying "Let's just take one more run"; never again will these words come out of my mouth when skiing or riding.

mtbr member

I lost a nail to the rotor, too. Not exactly sure what happened (putting the bike on the roof rack, slid it forward while I must have been using the rotor to stabilize or something), but it cut my nail clean off before I knew what happened.

Now I put the bike in the back of the truck. Much better...
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Took both hands off the bars on a rocky descent when a bee flew behind my sunglasses and stung me in the corner of my eye. Then I got catapulted an instant later when the bars crossed up. And this was about 5 minutes into the ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    If it was a Raleigh that must have been a long time ago. Or you're into vintage.
    Look:

Raleigh Bicycles Mountain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Wow. My thing is relatively harmless in comparison to some of these. Quite a few times, I change into bike clothes and leave my house keys in my regular clothes. I come home from the ride and can't get in the house. I really don't care when it's nice out.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Saying "Let's just take one more run"; never again will these words come out of my mouth when skiing or riding.
    Wisdom. No warmup runs; no last runs.

All fat, all the time.
    Try to get a leaf/twig out of the front wheel/spokes while riding by sticking my toe in there.....When I was a kid....on pavement....ouch. Endo, broken spokes, bent wheel, and friends laughing at me. Never again!

Ridin' Furry
    Sprayed wd-40 on my new bikes chain a couple days after i bought it. Contaminated the rotors and pads....

mtbr member
    Left my ear phones, MP3 player, and Garmin on my back bumper. Had an alert citizen behind me at a stop light come up and tell me they were there, phew!
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6 View Post
    Ooops. You're right. Forgot my Camelbak ONCE. No water, tools, pump or patch kit for a 12 mile ride.
    I like turtles

High Desert MTBer
    So I had another thing that I forgot to mention. Problem is, I should probably be posting this in the other thread about doing them more than once... I left the zipper undone on my seat pack a few weeks ago, and my Crank Bros 19 way multi tool bounced out somewhere on a long ride, and I wasn't about to go back and check... So, I bought another, and resolved to ALWAYS check the zipper... I was out on Saturday, and when I got home, the same thing had happened!!! F**K! Now I KNOW I had checked the zipper when I left, so it must have worked its way loose on the bumps... I will NEVER let that happen again...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I forgot my bike shorts once. Never again will my taint allow such abuse.

mtbr member
    I replied to "MTBR Word Association Game" thread once and now my inbox gets 100 replies a day!
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Finding out at the trailhead that I had brought two left gloves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Went riding once without any water, proceeded to pass out and slide my right shin against my platform peddle as I went down. Still have the scar...

mtbr member
    1, Forgot my front wheel. Went back home and got the wheel. Rode 1/4 mile and then tacoed the wheel. Should have stayed home that day.

2. Forgot my bike. Didn't realize it until I was halfway across town.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    no matter how late you are running heading out to a local race with buddies DO NOT let them opt to try and go #1 in a gatorade bottle in your car en route while on an offroad path.

mtbr member
    let a shirt wrapped around my handle bar fall into the front wheel and do an endo

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Try to get a leaf/twig out of the front wheel/spokes while riding by sticking my toe in there.....When I was a kid....on pavement....ouch. Endo, broken spokes, bent wheel, and friends laughing at me. Never again!
    Wearing flip flops, I wanted to see what would happen if I put my foot on the front tire while riding on the side walk. I endo'd and suffered some road rash. I was maybe 7 or 8 at the time.

cfx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bholman View Post
    Piss on an electric fence.
    Been there .. done that ..

C..
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I rented a NEXT beach cruiser from the Holiday Inn and broke the crank off. I wont ever ride NEXT again.

mtbr member
    Attempting to push the star nut all the way through the steerer tube -> Screwdrier stuck in fork's steerer tube

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cdouble View Post
    By a road bike. Bought in moment of weakness during late winter doldrums. Now I have to sell the dang thing

cdouble
    MO7S
    Hmm.. interesting that you would list buying a road bike as a mistake you'll only make once, and but use a quote in your sig that's from a former road bike racer.

My stupid thing (that I hope I'll never do again) is leaving my Garmin on top my car and driving off. Not only did it fall off the car, but when I realized my mistake (an hour away) and went back to get it, I discovered that I had driven over it.
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Ron Hoover View Post
    Coming into a double teeter too fast and being at the end of the second one before it dropped is something I hope to hell I never repeat. 6 foot drop to flat off a moving lip was not fun. I somehow managed to put both wheels on the ground before I crashed, which took the edge off, but the fright was enough to permanently sear it into my brain.
    I've had that happen to me a few times on large single teeters. They seem to tip fast enough when I'm walking them but they sometimes don't drop in time when I'm riding them. There's been a few times when I've had to trackstand near the end and pray for the darn thing to drop faster or do a desperation sidehop or wheelie drop to flat when I know I can't keep my balance long enough. After the last time it happened a year ago, I now refuse to ride teeter totters that are more than shoulder high.

boxcar
    My mom bought me Kranked 2 for Christmas in 1998. January, 1999, went to hospital with dislocated shoulder(ultimately needing surgery after a few more dislocations in subsequent months.) I have never, nor will ever build something without properly fastening the boards down, with something crazy and tried and true like screws or even nails!!!so dumb...haha!!!!

I will never rest my front wheel behind a vehicle again as I load.

I will never let someone else, anyone, work on my bike.

I will never break up a dog fight again at a trailhead, or anywhere for that matter.

I will never go to Moab or Fruita again without the guide books I already bought.

I will never take either of my hands off the bar to give the finger to a friend talking smack at me from the chairlift above. My friend won.

I never, ever, will not follow my heart again. When it speaks, I listen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    drove 2 hours to a race without my helmet. pretty stupid

The White Jeff W
    Ate a Blackberry GU right after I brushed my teeth.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Oh...

Camelback o wine on new years

Worst hangover of my life!!!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    So I had another thing that I forgot to mention. Problem is, I should probably be posting this in the other thread about doing them more than once... I left the zipper undone on my seat pack a few weeks ago, and my Crank Bros 19 way multi tool bounced out somewhere on a long ride, and I wasn't about to go back and check... So, I bought another, and resolved to ALWAYS check the zipper... I was out on Saturday, and when I got home, the same thing had happened!!! F**K! Now I KNOW I had checked the zipper when I left, so it must have worked its way loose on the bumps... I will NEVER let that happen again...
    That's the nice thing about riding at night. Any time I ever lost anything on a night ride, I always find it on the way back. Granted, I do an out and back, not a real long ride like you're sayin'.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    My mom bought me Kranked 2 for Christmas in 1998. January, 1999, went to hospital with dislocated shoulder(ultimately needing surgery after a few more dislocations in subsequent months.) I have never, nor will ever build something without properly fastening the boards down, with something crazy and tried and true like screws or even nails!!!so dumb...haha!!!!

I will never rest my front wheel behind a vehicle again as I load.

I will never let someone else, anyone, work on my bike.

I will never break up a dog fight again at a trailhead, or anywhere for that matter.

I will never go to Moab or Fruita again without the guide books I already bought.

I will never take either of my hands off the bar to give the finger to a friend talking smack at me from the chairlift above. My friend won.

I never, ever, will not follow my heart again. When it speaks, I listen.
    I LOL'd at the dogfight one. I used to have two Shepherd-Pitbull mix brothers. One day, they were going at it I guess to see which one was going to be the Alpha leader. My father, brother and I tried to break them up before they hurt each other. I was the only one that got hurt.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Not mine but my friends....
    Him saying.. "i wonder if anyone has every fallen off that cliff while turning that corner"
    he then proceeds to take the corner recklessly and falls 20 ft.
    He popped up like a daisy but sure as heck coulda nearly died.
    Never again for him.

I just watched.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Way back in the day I had a seized front fork. I neglected it terribly. Mid ride it compressed and never came back up. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to return. So, I cut the ride short and rode back to the car with a bottomed out front fork. It was a Judy XC.

I pulled the lower legs off when I got home (as I knew the cartridge had failed) and flipped the fork over to remove the cir-clip which held the cartridge in place - looking into the lowers as I did so. As soon as I squeezed the cir-clip inward !!!!!!!!BANG!!!!!

The cartridge exploded (it was under ENORMOUS pressure) and blew smelly-a$$ oil/water/dirt into my face, hair, ear, mouth (luckily I wear glasses) and launched internal parts all over the basement. There was even oil dripping from the ceiling. I dropped everything out of shock as it happened so fast and my wife came down to see what the hell that was. It was like a gun shot.

I got seriously lucky on that one. I could have been injured pretty bad for something so stupid (on my part). I now always point things away from me if there is any potential of a release like that.

Worst of all, I had to repaint the freaking ceiling after a good wash.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by uzyrmind View Post
    Let someone I didn't know ride my new bike
    Did you ever see your bike again?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    I had no idea. Haven't heard the name for a long time and haven't seen one for many years.

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Two things, only one time to learn them

Forgetting my front wheel at home after putting the bike on a roof rack. I got lucky since the park where we went let me rent a front wheel from their rental bikes.

Driving through a fast food restaurant drive thru forgetting the bikes were on the roof. Fortunately, the bikes were full suspension so the sagged when the roof pushed down on the seats. It was the loud "snapping" sound that the bike made when I cleared the roof that made me realize what had just happened.

Those were one of several reasons why I switched over to a hitch mounted rack.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    True stories:

1: I was working at a shop that did classic bike restorations. We just re-did up this nice old Tommasini bike with new paint and components. To make the bike extra-pretty the boss Armor-All'ed the tires for some reason. Then he asked me to test ride it. Being that this was a sprinter's bike (Columbus SLX/SPX tubing) I decided to wind one up in the parking lot. At the end of the lot I went to corner onto the street and have never had a bike come out from under me so quickly. It and I clobbered the dumpster on the corner. Top tube crumpled-Uh oh. Won't ride a bike with Armor-alled tires any more.

2. At the same shop another year a customer asked me to show him how to properly re-mount a cyclocross bike. It was hot and I was wearing very baggy shorts, no underwear (important to the rest of the story) and flip-flops (also important). So I ride up at speed, hop off, take a few steps and go for the re-mount. This is where things went awry. Tripped (flip-flops), shorts caught on back of saddle denying me and sending me onto the back wheel. When it was all said and done I had skinned the bottom of my foot, burned my arse on the tire, and since I was wearing loose shorts with no underwear, the fellas got sucked in between the straddle cable and tire. Yeeooww! Won't do that again either. Any part of it. Worst part was that it messed up my remount for about 5 years because that was in the back of my head all of the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska View Post
    Way back in the day I had a seized front fork. I neglected it terribly. Mid ride it compressed and never came back up. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to return. So, I cut the ride short and rode back to the car with a bottomed out front fork. It was a Judy XC.

I pulled the lower legs off when I got home (as I knew the cartridge had failed) and flipped the fork over to remove the cir-clip which held the cartridge in place - looking into the lowers as I did so. As soon as I squeezed the cir-clip inward !!!!!!!!BANG!!!!!

The cartridge exploded (it was under ENORMOUS pressure) and blew smelly-a$$ oil/water/dirt into my face, hair, ear, mouth (luckily I wear glasses) and launched internal parts all over the basement. There was even oil dripping from the ceiling. I dropped everything out of shock as it happened so fast and my wife came down to see what the hell that was. It was like a gun shot.

I got seriously lucky on that one. I could have been injured pretty bad for something so stupid (on my part). I now always point things away from me if there is any potential of a release like that.

My Favorite!!

Sounds like something I did to my first car once... Ever seen a 16 year old kid take off his shirt to beat out a flaming carburetor in the middle of winter?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    "how fast do these disk brakes stop?". Answer - faster than my old, slow ass can keep up....... Wrenched my shoulder pretty thoroughly...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Forgetting the bike was on the rack and pulling into the garage. Scraped the rack, bike and all, off the car. -_-

All fat, all the time.
    Uggg....

forgot my camelbak bladder in the fridge 2 days ago, stopped for a ride after work, had backpack but no bladder! Annoying! Still went for ride with gatoraid bottle in backpack hehe.

see me rollin, they hatin
    didnt secure my livingroom bike rack to the ceiling well enough (actually i blame my boyfriend). The rack fell down with two bikes on it while i was at work. I came home to find the mess on the floor, a big chip in my coffee table, and a bent wheel on the road bike. that suckah is SECURE now!!!! damn thing would have probably impaled the dog had she been in the way of the crash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska View Post

Pretty much the same thing. Started working on a manitou minute for the first time. Got distracted, did a few other items around the house when I came back to the project. Sure enough I forgot where I was and in a rush didn't let the air out.
    BAMMM would be an understatement!! Left a dent in my garage door.

Mountain Man Dan
    Well when I use to ride flat pedals, I could wheelie for a mile.

When I went clipless, i was flying down the trail and did the normal wheelie over a puddle or something, and I flipped backwards and................that ****ing hurt! Being clipped in while sliding on your back with a bike.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Try to convince a friend a Walmart bike will kill them on technical trails.

mtbr member
    1) Thinking I could ride a trail significantly faster than usual…

I had committed wnkd time to help my teenage daughter with something and didn’t really have time for a ride… unless I could ride significantly faster than usual. So of course since I merely wanted to, I could do that… not!

After getting back to the car a little faster than usual… but still late… I quickly got my cell phone out, put my Bluetooth earpiece in, set the phone down on the rear bumper and talked to my daughter while I was putting the bike on the rack and packing up the car…

2) Then in a rush to get home, I drove home with the cell phone on the rear bumper of the car where I left it.

HTFU and Ride
    Left my nice Oakley M-Frames sitting on the trunk of my car and drove home. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Turning up to a 30km XC race and realizing I'd left my camelbak at home.Which was 180km's from the race location. In the middle of summer.
    Not exactly my finest moment.
    My buddy and I have a saying, you could even call it a mantra...

"shoes, helmet, camelbak?"

Before leaving for the riding destination and before heading home we both ask eachother.

You can have a great ride after forgetting just about everything else, tools, pump, gloves, glasses . But shoes, helmet and hydration are pretty much vital.
    Last edited by coachjon; 03-29-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    I would think this would be the opposite, except for needing clipless pedals that are easier to unclip. I just make sure pedals are well lubed and springy. But I suppose it also depends on how nasty the technical stuff is. I'm not all that great, so I hoist the bike a lot.
    In hindsight I probably could have ridden the stuff clipless, my skill is improving.

The trails I found to ride yesterday, are so rocky and technical that clipless is a sure formula for near death

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Practice doing Manuals over asphalt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    See if going a little bit faster will make for a better endo...

mtbr member
    Taking my Specialized Hardrock (entry-level XC) onto an intermediate dirt jump course, without prior experience. Or a helmet.

Ended up fracturing two metacarpals (middle and ring finger) in my right hand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Got to the top of tech Milagrosa Trail and found I didn't have a helmet.
    Drove the 9 hours to Gooseberry Mesa and learned by biking shoes wern't in the car, or Utah.
    Drove to Flagstaff once to ski and my packed suitcase didn't make it into the car!
    agmtb

Accident Prone
    Grabbed both brakes as hard as I could to stop my mountain bike. That's how I was used to stopping my BMX bike at the time because the brakes were terrible. After flipping over the bars I sat dazed and confused as to how I was sitting with my butt on the ground and my bike was rolling away from my.

Also forgetting to strap my bike into the hitch rack. Was driving down the road and noticed the bike bouncing in the rear view. That could've been an expensive mistake.
    2012 Scott Scale Expert 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Jeez...got married.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Also tossed my way cool Oakley Factory Pilots at a guy who LOOKED like my shop owner during a hill climb time trial. They were soaked with sweat and I couldnt see out of them...never saw them again. Go figure.

mtbr member
    Put the rear wheel of my bike between my truck tire and wheel well, which I never do. Then decided I was going to move my truck. Went about 6 inches and realized it wasn't in the truck bed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Putting my $3600 recumbent tricycle (21 speed, with disc brakes, in 1980!) on the roof of my car and then ... driving into a low clearance parking garage. Painful memory.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I tightened a Torx bolt using a hex and, duh, stripped it

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm amazed at how many people have forgotten the bikes were on top and tried to drive into a garage or under an awning, etc... I thought I was the only one who forgot things like that.

banned
    Mar 2012
    These are all really good. I feel better now knowing it's not just me that does silly things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
    I tightened a Torx bolt using a hex and, duh, stripped it
    Man if that is all you have ever done that you regret you my friend have lived a charmed life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAL67 View Post
    Jeez...got married.
    HAHAHAHAHA

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?11jlxd

mtbr member
    took a leak without washing my hands after trail maintenance...poison ivy. not fun!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Shoving your $5000 D-SLR (or anything of value) in your Camelbak when you're a noob. Risky business.

mtbr member
    Tried riding down one of those steep/narrow staircases to the apartments above a mom and pop store. You know the ones...

Got about a bike length and a half down, hanging off the back as far as I could, and still had that 'bout to endo feeling. I reached up and snagged the 2nd floor railing and my body slammed into the wall. I watched in horror as my bike unclipped, and stayed perfectly centered, screaming down the staircase. Right through the door it went. It hit the sidewalk with speed, bouncing like a basketball, front tire to back, aimed straight for the busy street.

It clipped a trash can at the street edge, knocking over my friend's brand new Giant, but thankfully it never made the street. I was younger and stupider back then(yesterday ).

I told both my riding buddies to kick me in the nuts if I ever tried something that stupid again. And I meant it.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Voted democrat in an election. Been ashamed of it ever since.

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by THowie View Post
    I'm amazed at how many people have forgotten the bikes were on top and tried to drive into a garage or under an awning, etc... I thought I was the only one who forgot things like that.
    Nope, I did it too. Tried to drive into my garage with my bike on the rack.
    Didn't work out so well.

SANCTUS
    I was caught sniffing a really hot MTB Betty's pungent saddle
    BUSTELO

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Voted democrat in an election. Been ashamed of it ever since.
    Someone will always find a way to bring politics into this... please no more...
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    I was caught sniffing a really hot MTB Betty's pungent saddle
    ...and this is sad and disgusting...
    It's all Here. Now.

anj
    mtbr member
    Four guys... four mtbs... two cars. Hey here's a great idea... let's park one car at the bottom of the mountain, get in the other one and drive to the top... that way when we're done riding the amazingly long down hill single track we can drive up and retrieve the second car. Guess what... both sets of keys were left in the second car at the top of the mountain (Ishimaki in central Japan). Four very tired guys riding back up the mountian. Everyone didnt need to but we all felt bad for the guy that left his keys up there.

beater
    A few years ago I rode the Porcupine Rim system on a Saturday in early October. Never riding it on a weekend again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    rode down hill riding my brakes and then touched my rotors to the tire on my car rotor burnt all the way through the tire

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    2. At the same shop another year a customer asked me to show him how to properly re-mount a cyclocross bike. It was hot and I was wearing very baggy shorts, no underwear (important to the rest of the story) and flip-flops (also important). So I ride up at speed, hop off, take a few steps and go for the re-mount. This is where things went awry. Tripped (flip-flops), shorts caught on back of saddle denying me and sending me onto the back wheel. When it was all said and done I had skinned the bottom of my foot, burned my arse on the tire, and since I was wearing loose shorts with no underwear, the fellas got sucked in between the straddle cable and tire. Yeeooww! Won't do that again either. Any part of it. Worst part was that it messed up my remount for about 5 years because that was in the back of my head all of the time.

Wow. Time to sell my CrossCheck. lol

SANCTUS
    but its not political
    BUSTELO

SANCTUS

no way

Photobucket
    BUSTELO

High Desert MTBer
    Nice!
    It's all Here. Now.

Life Is Short
    bought a used Stinky, like adopting an abused teenager w/ attitude that drinks & smokes with tattoos

mtbr member
    May 2006
    All day ride at Ft Ord.
    Forgot the emergency trail side roll of butt wipe.
    Trusted a fart.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Was riding with a couple of friends on a paved trail - decided to ride slightly ahead of them to take a photo. While riding one-handed, I turned around to snap the photo and immediately rode off the side of the trail. Had I just kept going, I would have been okay, but I tried to correct by steering back onto the trail (still one-handed). However, the trail at this point is a good foot above the surface that I was on. I was probably going about 15mph at the time, hit the edge of the asphalt which jerked my handbars 90 degrees. Came to a dead stop, endo'ed and hit my face on the edge of the asphalt.

It was amazing how quickly it happened and how little time I had to react. It was like, "turn, snap photo, flip, BAM on my face." Fortunately I escaped that incident with just a bruise on my face, no concussion, and nothing else broken. Scared the crap out of my friends, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Propped the bike up with a stick under the pedal to take a picture...on the edge of a 20-30 foot cliff...above the lake...on a windy day.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JAL67 View Post
    Jeez...got married.
    Only once? Lucky...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I placed my new fork in to the head tube fitted the top of the head set and thought perfect, cut the excess steerer tube flush, "but wait, where are the handle bars?"
    It was a hard day at work and lost all my senses. Never again.

Members who have read this thread: 0