This is a stupid sport... but still somehow I do it- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

This is a stupid sport... but still somehow I do it

I dropped a little over 4k on a bike in January. Got the GAS. I rode it 10 times. That's $410 a ride.

Now I'm eye balling the new SBG Transitions. I'll probably eat about $2k to "upgrade."

No wonder my wife gives me the same look when I go to a bike shop as when I go to a strip club.

See ya out there!
    Last edited by fitek; 12-06-2017 at 10:23 AM.

slow
    I spent $425 on a used hard tail 5 years ago and just went over 4400 miles on it. I'm down to $.09/mile.

Sneaker man
    yeah...um... the sport isn't stupid...
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    I know where you are coming from, just spent over $2.5k on a new hardtail only to decide I want something else in addition to the two bikes I now have in the garage. Well Christmas is around the corner and I still might just treat myself.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    I dropped a little over 4k on a bike in January. Got the GAS. I rode it 10 times. That's $410 a ride.

Now I'm eye balling the new SBG Transitions. I'll probably eat about $2k to "upgrade."

No wonder my wife gives me the same look when I go to a bike as when I go to a strip club.

See ya out there!
    At least you got suspension. I'm going to have to keep my rigid 29er for about 15 years.

But yeah, I still wouldn't call it stupid. I can think of wayyy stupider things to blow $$$$ on.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member

No wonder my wife gives me the same look when I go to a bike as when I go to a strip club.

See ya out there!
    You need another bike. We all do.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

See ya out there!
    Did you factor in less heath risks = less hospital bills and possibly a longer life?

Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    yeah...um... the sport isn't stupid...
    This ^
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    If it's my money and I can afford it, well...I am free to choose how I spend it. If I can't afford it but do it anyway...I wouldn't say it's the sport that's stupid.

By the way...I have a new bike on order too!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    If it's my money and I can afford it, well...I am free to choose how I spend it. If I can't afford it but do it anyway...I wouldn't say it's the sport that's stupid.

By the way...I have a new bike on order too!
    Hah, I feel slightly better now.

The wisest thing I saw on MTBR, ever, was someone who said they once bought an all black bike and it has gotten a very thorough cleaning 4 times in the last decade (or something like that).

I used to buy red guitars for the same reason... wife never complained till I bought a blue one...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I spent $425 on a used hard tail 5 years ago and just went over 4400 miles on it. I'm down to $.09/mile.
    Fitek:Were you paying attention, 'cause that's how you do it.

Really, if you got the free funds there are many more ridiculous hobbies out there to spend it on that don't have the physical benefits of biking. If you can spend that much hard earned work restitution and still pay the bills, spare some for the honey and family, and buy a bike that makes many jealous.... I would say you are doin' good. It would be nice to be able to purchase such toys with a pure smile and not use math to make yourself frown, that's stupid. Work on that. Keep biking and keep smiling.

I'm gonna go ride my $400 SSd... well, in the spring.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Fitek:Were you paying attention, 'cause that's how you do it.

Really, if you got the free funds there are many more ridiculous hobbies out there to spend it on that don't have the physical benefits of biking. If you can spend that much hard earned work restitution and still pay the bills, spare some for the honey and family, and buy a bike that makes many jealous.... I would say you are doin' good. It would be nice to be able to purchase such toys with a pure smile and not use math to make yourself frown, that's stupid. Work on that. Keep biking and keep smiling.

I'm gonna go ride my $400 SSd... well, in the spring.
    Good point, living in the SF bay area, you lose context (cuz my bike ain't carbon, ya know, it's just in the middle of the totem pole). But then, I got a lot more miles on my $200 Gary Fisher bike, cuz I wasn't working to pay for it.