John has a long moustache

Spare parts bike build

Ever had that reaization that you had at least one complete bike in spare parts? If you've ever built up a frankenbike from a box-o-parts. Post up your red-headed stepchildren.

Here's mine. Built it for my daughter. I had been looking at bikes for my 10 yr old little girl's birthday for a few weeks and was getting ready to buy her a new GT for $550. She'd been asking for a "real bike" for a few months so she could ride the trails with us and keep up. I was out in the garage looking for a derailleur and it occured to me that, aside from a frame, I had everything I needed to build her a great bike. I started putting parts in a box and came up withe the following:
    Truvativ XR riser bar
    Truvativ XR Stem
    Deore 8sp trigger shifter set
    XT rear long cage derailleur
    SRAM X5 front derailleur (nib spare)
    Rock Shox Dart 3 (warranty replacement nib)
    2 Avid 160mm rotors
    1 Hayes HFX9 hydraulic brake set (rear)
    1 Tektro Aquila caliper
    1 Tektro lever
    Truvativ Isoflow triple crankset (slightly used)
    8 speed cassette (SRAM I think)
    1 Shimano 68mm bb
    Wheelset of unknown origin (like new)???
    Wellgo pedals (new takeoffs)
    WTB VR tires
    Ritchey seat post (spare)
    WTB Speed-V saddle (new takeoff)

I looked around for a 15" frameset. I looked at Nashbar, Performance, Pricepoint, Bike Island, Jenson, EBay, Chainreaction etc... Nashbar and Bike Island had the 2 best deals with shipping so I got her a matte black AL frame from BIke Island. The only real surprise (panic moment) was when I went to put it all together and realized the frame needed a zero rise integrated headset which I didn't have. I had one next day'ed from Jenson on Wed and finished the bike on Friday. I ended up having to buy a new cable set and 2 tubes as well.

Considering I had to only come out of pocket about $250 I think we did extremely well. All of the parts were parts i had taken off of new bikes over the years, bought as spares on Ebay or taken off when i upgraded. She loved the bike and is ready to hit Blankets Creek this week.

Last edited by dr.mediocre; 04-04-2011 at 07:20 AM.
    I'm not name-calling. I'm just listing the facts. The fact is that you did NOT have 6in inserted----alexrex20

I'm A Pedalphile
    Haha, I had a spare rigid fork laying around, so I built a new bike around that. All I needed was a frame, wheels, brakes, cranks, shifter, derailleur (1x9), stem, seatpost, saddle, handlebar, grips, tires, tubes, cassette, chain, and pedals!! Turned out to be a pretty sweet bike and rides like new!
    Bikes:
    Mountain: Santa Cruz Blur
    Road: Trek Madone 5.2 SL
    Commuter: Sette Reken 1x9

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I had a spare set of ceiling hooks mounted in the garage. So I bought a bike around that.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Lucky girl - now for her next bike, show her how to do the work herself, she'll love the bike even more.

Now broadcasting from CO
    I'm working on it... I have about half a bike in parts now. No frame lying around though...
    Brought to you by rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by erik1245
    I had a spare set of ceiling hooks mounted in the garage. So I bought a bike around that.
    I like where your head's at
    I'm not name-calling. I'm just listing the facts. The fact is that you did NOT have 6in inserted----alexrex20

Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    I'm working on it... I have about half a bike in parts now. No frame lying around though...
    I found that Nashbar had an unbranded AL frameset for $99 last week. Jenson and Performance have there's at $99 every few mos on sale. Bike Island always has some but the sizes that are available fluctuate around a lot. I tend to grab derailleurs, cranks, shifters and stems off of Ebay whenever I catch some at a really low price or if the seller spelled something wrong and got no hits.

The White Jeff W
    I built this for my GF. I had everything except the frame, stem, saddle and cables. I had to get a couple parts to get the X9 rear derailleur working. Bought one of the closeout Ragley frames from Chain Reaction. She was very impressed when I told her I was having a frame imported from overseas

When all the stuff was here I had her join me in the garage to help me build it, which meant the world to her

Ragley MMMBop
    Rockshox Revelation fork
    Cane Creek Zonos wheels with Conti Mountain King tires
    Avid BB7 brakes
    Sram X9 shifters & dreailleurs

No moss...

nice looking build. I like that frame.

Dex
    mtbr member
    My 1st intentions where to just build me an extra large frame bike out of a 13" Trek 4300 that my son had out grown along with some extra parts from a 17" Trek Fuel 70.
    It quickly became my primary bike and my 19" Trek 4500 became the extra bike.

Then later my son's younger half brother wanted a bike like his older brothers.
    So I took all the Trek and Bontrager parts off my Haro and rebuilt the 13" Trek.
    That was an excuse for me to buy all sorts of nice upgrades for my Haro.

I have no intentions of replacing my Haro V4 with a new bike anytime soon

Here is my post to the Haro Forum about build, rebuild and upgrades.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=406112
    Noxubee Hills Trail System's FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noxube...8499244?v=wall

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Here's mine...

The pic was taken a while ago now (right when I finished it) but it's a spare parts build. I've posted it before but...meh.

Surly Crosscheck. I still, absolutely, LOVE this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spare parts bike build-surly2.jpg  

Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Dex, is that Raccoon Mtn in your Avatar? We did a scout overnight excursion there this year. Some very tight spaces back under that mountain. The 49 cent squeeze was interesting...

Dex
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mediocre
    Dex, is that Raccoon Mtn in your Avatar? We did a scout overnight excursion there this year. Some very tight spaces back under that mountain. The 49 cent squeeze was interesting...
    Yeap!
    That pic is from spring break 2 yrs ago. My daughter drove down from Knoxville and met me and my son there. We had a blast on the 4 hr cave tour. Then last summer, just my son and I went on a 4 hr cave tour. Since it was just us 2, our guide showed us lots of interesting stuff that would be skipped in a larger group. The 49 cent squeeze is enough for me, I talked our guide out of taking us through the "Birth Canal".
    https://forums.mtbr.com/southeast-midsouth-ga-tn-al-fl-ms-la-ar/raccoon-mtn-ride-report-pics-437925.html

We went again just a few weeks ago, but the caves where flooded from a previous storm system.
    So we spent all our time above ground mtn biking, hiking and exploring.

Taylor's night time shot of the RM campgrounds

It wouldn't take much for me to move and live up there!
    Noxubee Hills Trail System's FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noxube...8499244?v=wall

Very cool. Here's me going through the 49 cent squeeze earlier this year:

Members who have read this thread: 0