South Boundary Trail [video]- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

South Boundary Trail [video]

Here's a compilation of some of the better (IMO) sections of ST on the South Boundary Trail.

This was all recorded during a trip at the end of May this year.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Nice! is that contour or go pro?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Top notch trail and video!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti.P View Post
    Nice! is that contour or go pro?
    Thanks!

I have a GoPro on the helmet. It's the HD Hero, not the Hero2.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Int'l Man of Leisure
    I'd rep you again, but alas I need to spread some around first.

Thanks for sharing.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    I'd rep you again, but alas I need to spread some around first.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I'll + rep EP for ya. Great video. We want to do South Boundary Trail sometime in the first week of July, so this helps us head in that direction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    How long of ride is this time-wise? I'm trying to determine if I can ride this in the morning and make it to work in Southern California the following morning.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    It depends on how you tackle it. Four hours ride time is a conservative estimate, but you've got to factor in shuttle time, too, which will add at least an hour post-ride.

Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    How long of ride is this time-wise? I'm trying to determine if I can ride this in the morning and make it to work in Southern California the following morning.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    It depends on how you tackle it. Four hours ride time is a conservative estimate, but you've got to factor in shuttle time, too, which will add at least an hour post-ride.
    Assuming a shuttle to the start -- where IS the start, or are there multiple options to start the ride?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Well, I expect all that info is available in various places on the NM board, but I don't envy anyone trying to find it, so I'll type it up here since I'm apparently having a weak, non-grumpy moment.
    The "traditional" shuttle is to leave a shuttle vehicle at "The Bean" in Taos, drive up US64 through the canyon toward Angel Fire, turn S. on NM434, and park a few miles S. of AF where FR76 intersects NM434. Ride up FR76 for a few miles and you'll see the SBT (aka Trail 164) taking off on your right. Take it, and finish in Taos. Then, at the end of the day, it's a little over an hour each way back through the canyon to fetch your shuttle vehicle. Some folks drive up FR76 to where the trail begins, but it's a pretty rough road and adds even more shuttle time (but saves a good bit of climbing).
    Nowadays, most folks leave a vehicle at El Nogal picnic area, which is the first one you come to on US64 after leaving Taos. Head up the canyon and and turn right at the covered wagon (aka Valle Escondido, or County Road). You can either park where FR70 intersects County Road, or you can try and save some climbing and drive up FR70 a ways and park at the turn toward Trail 1 and ride up from there. This isn't obvious, so if you choose to tackle it this way, I'd recommend taking someone along who's done it, or get a GPS track.
    Also, the re-route through Garcia Park is pretty well marked now, so that part of the ride is much less confusing to the first-timers, but the re-route itself bites (IMHO), so if you can find the "original" route that heads right out of Garcia Park, you should take it.
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Assuming a shuttle to the start -- where IS the start, or are there multiple options to start the ride?
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Sweet video; thanks for posting! We have been planning on riding the South Boundary Trail for a while now, and we finally settled on sometime in July. We've got ourselves a great guide whose ridden that trail many times. We're looking forward to it!

Members who have read this thread: 0