sort of OT: web browsers, what's good?- Mtbr.com
    don't try this at home

sort of OT: web browsers, what's good?

so i just read in the paper about some kind of virus that afflicts IE users (i.e. me). what's the scoop? is this really a problem? am i getting sacked by looters as i innocently type on mtbr? the article mentioned some gov't info agency suggesting people switch to other browsers that are not suceptible (sp?) to this problem.

it mentioned using netscape, opera or mozilla. netscaped i've heard of and used to use, but opera? mozilla? what's the deal on these?

if i should switch, what should i switch to?

it's sort of OT but since i use a browser to visit this page, i didn't quite feel it was completely OT.

Perpetually single track
    www.mozilla.org...use their firefox product. nuf' said.

Jun 2004
    Use almost anything that is NOT IE and you're good. Firefox and Opera are my recommendations. That and use Linux but that's another topic I s'pose.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    so i just read in the paper about some kind of virus that afflicts IE users (i.e. me). what's the scoop? is this really a problem? am i getting sacked by looters as i innocently type on mtbr? the article mentioned some gov't info agency suggesting people switch to other browsers that are not suceptible (sp?) to this problem.

it mentioned using netscape, opera or mozilla. netscaped i've heard of and used to use, but opera? mozilla? what's the deal on these?

if i should switch, what should i switch to?

it's sort of OT but since i use a browser to visit this page, i didn't quite feel it was completely OT.
    I don't know how recent this article you read is, but the newest scare which started this week is a BHO which steals bank info. It only steals info for foreign banks so for most users it's not a major problem even though it does scare most people when they realize it can be done. So basically if you are not using IE for offshore banking you are safe from the latest scare. However, IE has over the years been attackable in many different ways and if you do not run windows update regularly there are probably ways your system can be attacked through IE.

In any case I would recommend switching to Mozilla or Firefox. Both can be found at www.mozilla.org. The difference between the two is Mozilla is a suite of programs related to internet use including a web browser, mail client and web page editor. While Firefox is just a web browser. This means Firefox will be a little faster for you.

Trail rider and racer
    On a PC I would not hesitate to use the likes of Mozilla or perhaps even Opera but since. Micro$oft software has a tendency of being a little weak at times, particularly with regards to security. I am using Mac OSX Panther, I have found Safari 1.2.2 (v125.8) to be really great. The browser itself is really quick, and fast to load web pages, the likes of graphics and code handling is really good, with very little to no issues.

There are some really good features too like Autofil, of not only personal information but also passwords, online banking, paypal, search engines etc, so things can be streamlined and made efficient which really suits me since I spend heaps of time on my mac....

Tabbed browsing is really good too, as well as bookmark management. I keep all bookmarks in sub folders and what not so it makes finding stuff really easy. The browser is smart enough that it will look for bookmarks from other computers on my network etc....

Here is a sample of Safari on my computer...
    Trev!

Derailleurless
    I'm a happy Opera user. It has compatability issues with some websites, so keep a copy of IE handy, but for the most part Opera works great and has some nice security and navigation features that IE lacks. It's free to use, and quick to install, so why not download a copy and evaluate it for a few days for yourself?

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Not Quite Nuff.....I agree Firefox is it, I can't live without the tabbed views and NO popups! I haven't used exploder in a year or two.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Netcaptor. I love it. I've been using it for at least three years, and it does all the stuff I've heard Firefox does. (Note, I've never used Firefox) Anyone else use it?

I like Monkeys

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Netcaptor. I love it. I've been using it for at least three years, and it does all the stuff I've heard Firefox does. (Note, I've never used Firefox) Anyone else use it?
    But isn't it ad supported? Firefox is free without any ads.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

rob
    slakDawg

... and if we just ... Firefox for sure...

..it's free, fast, lean, there are quite a few extensions to customize your usage. My favorite extension now is Adblock, visit a site, see an ad on the page you don't like, use adblock to remove it. You can even use wildcards so block anything from any domain. Getting rid of this junk speeds the page load times, MTBR loads a lot faster now that I "adblocked" that huge banner at the top of the forums.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    I'm a happy Opera user. It has compatability issues with some websites, so keep a copy of IE handy, but for the most part Opera works great and has some nice security and navigation features that IE lacks. It's free to use, and quick to install, so why not download a copy and evaluate it for a few days for yourself?
    What Nate said...

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I just switched to Firefox this week. It's great. Tabbed browsing is so much more space efficient, it's more secure than IE. You can't take IE off your system, so it's important that you keep instlaling the security updates for those rare occations that you actulally need to use it (such as a web ap that uses the javawindows flavor of java rather than Sun's Java). Another plus of Firefox is that there are so many great extensions for it...as was mentioned before.

The only negative I have about Firefox is that my text size settings don't remain as I've set them and everything displays too small in the browser. Lots of eye strain.

Long Distance MTB

FireFox is the best

And compared to IE the best by far

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Agreed. Changed and never going back....
    FS: Everything

Rollin' a fatty
    Browser: Firefox @ home, IE @ work (corporate standard)
    Email: Thunderbird @ home, Outlook/Exchange @ work (corporate standard)

Both of the Mozilla (Netscape) products work really well specially blocking popups and dealing with junk mail (spam).

Rider of Bikes
    I'm definately on board with the Firefox crowd. I've been using it for a while, and out of all the browsers I've tried, I like it best.
    dirtyharrys.net
    http://dirtyharrys.net

Rollin' a fatty
    Rob, how do you block the images using Firefox?

I'm on the Firefox train :)

Works great, pages load quicker than IE, supposedly more secure - now, if I could only wean my wife from IE....she doesn't like to change from things she's comfortable with.

to block images in firefox

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Rob, how do you block the images using Firefox?
    click on tools, click on options, click on web features, unclick "load images" ...I haven't played much with it yet, but it appears you can grant permission for certain sites to load images (because unclicking apparently blocks ALL images, and does seem to speed things up a fair amount )

Jan 2004

blocking ads in firefox - even better

Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish
    click on tools, click on options, click on web features, unclick "load images" ...I haven't played much with it yet, but it appears you can grant permission for certain sites to load images (because unclicking apparently blocks ALL images, and does seem to speed things up a fair amount )
    Better yet - if you are comfortable tweaking a couple of text files, try this:
    http://texturizer.net/firefox/adblock.html

Read around on that site and it explains everything. It took 5 minutes to set up and no kidding it blocks 99% of the ads without any further intervention on my part. Regular images continue to show up just fine. Gotta love that.

will have to check that out

AND, I kinda shot from the hip about the "permission" thing...guess it's better to just block images you want blocked while having all other sites load images (right click on image, then, click on "block images from...."...seems better idea, as this is one of only a fgew sites that seem really slow to me, even with Firefox on broadband connection....go figure. I'm gonna check out that link - thanx !!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish
    Works great, pages load quicker than IE, supposedly more secure - now, if I could only wean my wife from IE....she doesn't like to change from things she's comfortable with.
    Why is it supposedly more secure? I suspect that it isn't widely used so it's not under attack by hackers. Clearly hacking IE gives a better payoff, it's just a matter of time before Firefox is compromised. (You can change the setting in IE for activex downloads ..)

Tabbed browsing? How much screen space is used up by tabs?

What I do use with IE should be called "tabbed favorites". Click on the favorites icon and you get a browse view of your favorites. I have a folder of favs of MTBR forums and MTB stuff, click on one and the window opens up. I don't have to pull down a menu.

For pop-ups use pop-up stopper from panicware.com.
    More security Zone-alarm.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    But isn't it ad supported? Firefox is free without any ads.
    Maybe the free version. When I bought it three years ago (~$20) I'd never seen anything like it. (I've since received upgrades for free.) I might try Firefox to see what the hubbub is all about, but methinks it'll have a lot of the same features as Netcaptor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I like Netscape, but this Firefox browser sounds interesting. I looked at the web site and I think I may change over. One question though, it dosen't say on their website but does anybody know if you can do "profiles" like you can in Netscape? Ok, two questions, Does it remember your passwords like Netscape does?

Tucker

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    So I was talking to some people in my office, and it seems that some of them already use Firefox. They also brought this up:
    http://www.internetnews.com/security...le.php/3374931

Apr 2004
    I've been using Mozilla lately. Thus far it is alot better than IE.

Hella Olde
    I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm running MYIE2...it's killer! Tabbed, free and open.

http://www.myie2.com/

Witty McWitterson
    'nother happy Opera user here. I've got it both at work and home. I've found that I can't live w/o tabbed browsing. Its just so nice to have. I've tried Firefox and Mozilla and liked them too. I may download them again to try them out more.
    Just a regular guy.

Go Bears!
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    Better yet - if you are comfortable tweaking a couple of text files, try this:
    http://texturizer.net/firefox/adblock.html

Read around on that site and it explains everything. It took 5 minutes to set up and no kidding it blocks 99% of the ads without any further intervention on my part. Regular images continue to show up just fine. Gotta love that.
    And be sure to select the "Remove Ads" option. In most cases that will remove even the blank space where the ad used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Why is it supposedly more secure? I suspect that it isn't widely used so it's not under attack by hackers. Clearly hacking IE gives a better payoff, it's just a matter of time before Firefox is compromised. .
    Exactly - because it isn't a major player....yet. But for now, it's a safer bet than IE (I have all KINDS of "security" on our home comp, but better to be safer than sorrier...heh) I hope MS gets their act together and produces truly secure software, beings as most of the PC world (including myself) uses their OS...Firefox is just a nice slick fast alternative to the bloated IE.....don't knock it 'til you've tried it

Jun 2004
    FireFox is more secure because it's Open Source not because it's not as popular as IE. There are myriad reasons why Open Source is better and one can find them easily with a Google search. Don't let big software companies FUD you. Open is good.

BTW if you're worried about tabs taking up too much screen space you may want to consider updrading that 14" monitor! :O Tabs are good! Tabs are great! You will surrender to Tabs as of this date!

don't try this at home
    Thanks for the replies. this firefox sounds interesting so i'm downloading it now.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Why is it supposedly more secure? I suspect that it isn't widely used so it's not under attack by hackers. Clearly hacking IE gives a better payoff, it's just a matter of time before Firefox is compromised. (You can change the setting in IE for activex downloads ..)

Tabbed browsing? How much screen space is used up by tabs?

What I do use with IE should be called "tabbed favorites". Click on the favorites icon and you get a browse view of your favorites. I have a folder of favs of MTBR forums and MTB stuff, click on one and the window opens up. I don't have to pull down a menu.

For pop-ups use pop-up stopper from panicware.com.
    More security Zone-alarm.
    Hmmm...where to start. Simply put it enables security settings by default which IE doesn't. Secondly IE is integrated into almost every other part of windows so a browser attack can compromise your whole system. Meanwhile Firefox is in no way integrated into windows. I could actually sit here and type up a decently thick book on ways in which IE is insecure.

Tabbed browsing is good because it saves on system memory that's about it. I'm not really a hugh fan myself because I like keeping my work in different windows, but I'm starting to convert just for the sake of keeping my systems running at a decent speed.

For pop-ups there are about 100 different ways to solve the problem. However, having it integrated into your web browser saves system resources (are you seeing a pattern yet) and makes your system more secure.

As for zone alarm, it doesn't do much unless your running some sort of router on your network because in windows your network connection is started long before zone alarm or windows firewall is started. This means there can be a large amount of time that your computer is attackable without any protection. The only true way for zone alarm to help is to run it on a router, but if you are running a router you get both better performace and security from setting up your own firewall rules.

Anyway stop using IE, actually stop using Windows all together if you can. It will make the world a safer place

rob
    slakDawg
    Check out the extensions, there are many, just do a google search for firefox extensions... and I use it with version 0.9 even though it says thru v0.8.

http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#adblock

mtbr member

It works

I've tried it and it is faster IMHO. Still working on un-sorting my bookmark pane. I'll give it a long trial.
    One thing bugs me, under Tools ; Advanced Options ; Software Updates, the default is to allow web sites to install software. Say that again! Install software! Seems dangerous to me.

mtbr member
    I am using IE and Netscape 7.1 no problems at all. Very stable. There is one cool thing about Netscape You can have different sites open all at once in one window. It uses tabs that you select and go to. I am pretty sure Mozilla makes it because they made the older netscape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Firefox gets my vote

Works well, and loads fast...what else can you ask for?
    On another note, there was a patch for IE that came out yesterday, so anyone using it should update

bang
    it should be noted that the main people who developed netscape have moved on to mozilla. netscape IS mozilla really, but mozilla doesnt have all the extra garbage and it gets more updates. so if you like netscape, get mozilla (or firefox). firefox and mozilla have the same features as far as i can tell (just started using firefox recently for the hell of it). i typically use mozilla but i'll probably change over to firefox once the 1.0 rolls out.

ive used opera in the past, and its different. it has some neat features but i didnt really like it overall.

if you do use IE, you might want to turn your security setting all the way up and check for updates / "workarounds" often (like every week lol).

Hella Olde

Reply to self: Firefox is bettah. MYIE2 is suspect to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by DH40
    I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm running MYIE2...it's killer! Tabbed, free and open.

http://www.myie2.com/
    Shut up dude, you should have investigated it better!

FIREFOX!

Perpetually single track
    Least you've now figured it out, and now are one of the flock.