So we rode all day today at Blankets Creek(pics)- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,406

    So we rode all day today at Blankets Creek(pics)

    Um...sorry I got abit carried away with all the pics last night. I'll keep it short. Promise.

    Kevin(sometimes Ga K-man here)is my friend whom cracked his frame to his Surgar a few long months ago, and short of riding my HT a couple times cause I ride alone otherwise(LOL!), hes only had his trainer to "ride"..which I know right about now all you northern riders are saying "well yeah, well so what?"..Anyways, his 04 Blur came in after his frame was warrentied yada yada...11 days ago I think. Its been down his driveway, period. Too much rain and such all that time. Soooo..today the tires touched sweet singletrack for the 1st time. Blankets is a choice Sorba built and maintained trail system thats 20 minutes from my house. A nice Beginner, Interm, and advanced loops totaling 10+ miles. Been closed for a month because of excessive mud. Today, it was dryer then I've seen it all winter. I got 22+ miles in there today. Meet Kevin at 12:30, and another friend Wayne at 3:30, so its been a long day. Sounds really terrible I'm sure. Anyways...

    Kevin riding along the shoreline of Alatoona Lake.



    We stopped here and did some balance log/beam stuff, and obviously had the camera out as this couple with matching and nicely outfitted Truths, passed by.



    The Duckster. At 45yrs and 2 bad knees, 6 broke collarbones, 2 ankles, dislocated shoulder, countless ribs, etc etc rom years of 2 wheel racing...I'm very reluctant to ride this kinda stuff. Kevin on the other hand zoomed back and forth on this like it was his driveway or something. Hell, I guess I should feel lucky that I'm riding period. Sounds good anyways.

    I just noticed this is the one time I tried while being unclipped. Boy did I hate that. My feet look a little [email protected] up..eh? LOL!



    Logcrossing action. Today was sweet. Just played all day without a care. Those times are the best.


    Hell, Kevins in his 40s as well. Its the mileage, I swear. Kev's a smooth rider.



    Later that day after Wayne joined us. Me screwing around. It got up to the low 60*s today. Can you imagine? Its been sucky down here even for awhile.



    Wayne playing and trying to not be a statistic.



    Kevin too.... Ha!!



    Hang'n out talking bikes. Good times indeed. We all do the same eh?...just the names change is all. All good people usually, I've found.




    Alone, and on my last lap....even later today after they both left. I wasn't ready to leave, and Kevin had to go cause he lives SW of Atlanta(the trails NW and our traffic sucks)and any later...and ya just can't hardly get anywhere. Wayne had put a full day in at work and was beat. Just a trail pic. Thought I uploaded more then 1. Oh well. Shadows are getting long, and that chills back in the air. Feels good then, eh? Just you and the sound of you clipping in...is all that matters, for those sweet times, at least...

    Duck

    Last edited by Duckman; 02-19-2004 at 09:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Primative Screwhead
    Reputation: Feideaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    313

    Looks like fun

    Cool Post, Duckman.

    I liked your comment about the coolness beginning to make itself felt in the air. Roadriding can be grim in the winter, but mountainbiking is pretty much sweet all year around. Out in the wild there is something to appreciate about each different season.

    On a ride last wednesday, I reflected that there has been many a time when great picture opportunities are lost in the time it takes to 'unholster' the digital from its little bag. I usually have mine strapped to the waist strap of my camelback. Do you think mounting it on the sternum strap with a buckle of some sort and a spiral cord (like telephone receiver cable) would work? Perhaps I'm just looking for a quick way to smash my camera.

    Nice work as always, Ducks.

    F.

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,876

    Come on Duckman....

    Are you gonna make me put you on my ignore list...

  4. #4
    Trail rider and racer
    Reputation: Trevor!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,691
    Fine pictures Duckman, yet again. The riding around Ga looks too cool for sure. I wish we had plenty of nicely maintained loops like that around here.


    Can you believe I took the Digital Camera out today on a ride, and forgot about it because I was having too much fun on the bike, and stopping was the last thing on my mind.

    Cheers, and thanks for sharing
    Trevor!

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Can you believe I took the Digital Camera out today on a ride, and forgot about it because I was having too much fun on the bike, and stopping was the last thing on my mind.
    Mental pictures are the best pictures. Gotta love the mind's eye....

  6. #6
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,406
    Thanks.

    Yeah, that chill feels sweet in itself on the climbs, even wanting more of it. The downs are so short compared the road riding, and even then your indeed busy as hell if its anything fun to go down, and the temps are the last thing on your mind.

    The camera. I've thought of this as well. Its a pain in the [email protected] to stop and such to do this. Its real easy to get out of the habit because of. When I backpacked, even with trekking poles in the hands, you just "let go" of them and let them hang by the wriststraps(if one is using them correctly that is)and reach into my shoulderstrap mounted camera case, and take nice candid trail pics, and the best part was I never missed a beat while hiking. The poles just drape'd to each side as I walked and took the pics or vids. Riding...ya gotta stop(which sucks by itself)...ya gotta pull off your pack...yada yada...

    But, my general rule, as much as a pain as it is...that I'm always thankful that we took the time to do it...and I'm also always regretful that we did not, otherwise. Especially long after, because the trips start to blend together otherwise, I've found regarding backpacking, and now mtn biking.

    Yes, I think its a way to smash your camera faster, unfortantely. I think a couple more generations, and we'll see cameras with these capabilities(better prob), but the size of a cig pack or smaller with a practical and prob even cheaper still helmet mnt or something equally cool. Then, it will fix itself.

    Thanks again,

    Duck
    Last edited by Duckman; 02-19-2004 at 09:14 PM.

  7. #7
    Primative Screwhead
    Reputation: Feideaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    313

    Damn Straight

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    But, my general rule, as much as a pain as it is...that I'm always thankful that we took the time to do it...and I'm also always regretful that we did not, otherwise. Especially long after, because the trips start to blend together otherwise, I've found regarding backpacking, and now mtn biking.
    That's the right way to look at things.

    Now, where's my helmet...?


    F.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xctearor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    200

    Duck- thanx for the pics

    Just about everyday I'm on the rollers and just when I think things can't get any worse, your pics remind me of better times to come. Hell, with all this snow melting and me itching to get on the new Fuel, I went and rode some urban singletrack yesterday. Sloppy as all get out, but it felt so good to be outside, regardless of how filthy I was when I returned.
    XC

  9. #9
    KgB
    KgB is offline
    SNGLSPD
    Reputation: KgB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,037

    thanks for the memories

    Today I would have traded trails with you.
    I've been inside too long.

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,876

    I'll second that.

    Quote Originally Posted by KgB
    Today I would have traded trails with you.
    Hey Duckman, I posted a picture of our NH trail work that happened today, it's on the thread you posted yesterday. It's good to see the people taking advantage of the winter riding in the south. I'm hoping that the area in my picture melts and then freezes hard, perfect for the studded tires.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    291
    Good riding today for sure. I think my lungs are about five sizes smaller than they used to be but it was still a good ride. I got there just as Duckman was leaving and raced daylight back to the car. Tomorrow I will conquer the new teeter-totter, right after I replace the spoke on my rear wheel that broke. I was having so much fun I didn't even notice it was broken until I got home tonight. I also had a camera today but never even pulled it out. Trail was in excellent condition today. About halfway through the ride I was coming down from the advanced loop on the dwelling loop downhill finish nailed a perfect two-wheel drift with no brakes on the turn at the trail head at about 20mph, went about 60 feet down the trail after the turn and came up about 30 feet short of being run down by four very large deer. I swear it sounded like the Budweiser clydesdales coming through the woods. I was so happy about making the turn I guess I never saw them coming. That brought me back to reality pretty quick.

    Here's me on the log ride a couple of weeks ago.

    Tucker
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,658

    Extra...

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Um...sorry I got abit carried away with all the pics last night. I'll keep it short. Promise.

    Kevin(sometimes Ga K-man here)is my friend whom cracked his frame to his Surgar a few long months ago, and short of riding my HT a couple times cause I ride alone otherwise(LOL!), hes only had his trainer to "ride"..which I know right about now all you northern riders are saying "well yeah, well so what?"..Anyways, his 04 Blur came in after his frame was warrentied yada yada...11 days ago I think. Its been down his driveway, period. Too much rain and such all that time. Soooo..today the tires touched sweet singletrack for the 1st time. Blankets is a choice Sorba built and maintained trail system thats 20 minutes from my house. A nice Beginner, Interm, and advanced loops totaling 10+ miles. Been closed for a month because of excessive mud. Today, it was dryer then I've seen it all winter. I got 22+ miles in there today. Meet Kevin at 12:30, and another friend Wayne at 3:30, so its been a long day. Sounds really terrible I'm sure. Anyways...

    Kevin riding along the shoreline of Alatoona Lake.



    We stopped here and did some balance log/beam stuff, and obviously had the camera out as this couple with matching and nicely outfitted Truths, passed by.



    The Duckster. At 45yrs and 2 bad knees, 6 broke collarbones, 2 ankles, dislocated shoulder, countless ribs, etc etc rom years of 2 wheel racing...I'm very reluctant to ride this kinda stuff. Kevin on the other hand zoomed back and forth on this like it was his driveway or something. Hell, I guess I should feel lucky that I'm riding period. Sounds good anyways.

    I just noticed this is the one time I tried while being unclipped. Boy did I hate that. My feet look a little [email protected] up..eh? LOL!



    Logcrossing action. Today was sweet. Just played all day without a care. Those times are the best.


    Hell, Kevins in his 40s as well. Its the mileage, I swear. Kev's a smooth rider.



    Later that day after Wayne joined us. Me screwing around. It got up to the low 60*s today. Can you imagine? Its been sucky down here even for awhile.



    Wayne playing and trying to not be a statistic.



    Kevin too.... Ha!!



    Hang'n out talking bikes. Good times indeed. We all do the same eh?...just the names change is all. All good people usually, I've found.




    Alone, and on my last lap....even later today after they both left. I wasn't ready to leave, and Kevin had to go cause he lives SW of Atlanta(the trails NW and our traffic sucks)and any later...and ya just can't hardly get anywhere. Wayne had put a full day in at work and was beat. Just a trail pic. Thought I uploaded more then 1. Oh well. Shadows are getting long, and that chills back in the air. Feels good then, eh? Just you and the sound of you clipping in...is all that matters, for those sweet times, at least...

    Duck

    nice post and pics. Thanks.

  13. #13
    I like Squishy Bikes
    Reputation: Hollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,094

    60 in Bent Creek later today

    and I was tossing and turning in bed with anticipation .

    I rode yesterday, it was the 1st nice & warm day in about a month & a half. My arms, hands, shoulders, & butt are sore right now but ya couldnt slap the smile off my face.

    Spring Dirt!
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Murchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    874
    Nice to see pictures from the great day we had yesterday. It's really overcast right now lets hope it clears up for a good ride this afternoon.

    It was so nice to see the trail in such great conidition I guess it was really good to have it closed for so long, now we will have much less work to do for the trail part Sat.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,931

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Um...sorry I got abit carried away with all the pics last night. I'll keep it short. Promise.

    Alone, and on my last lap....even later today after they both left. I wasn't ready to leave,
    Never can have too many pics.

    Weren't ready to leave? That's my rule, better to finish thinking you did too much rather than too little.

  16. #16

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2
    you've got too much endurance now, i amazed at the transformation from what kind of shape you were in. it was good to meet kevin too, he seems like agood guy and his skills weren't too shabby considering he's a "infrequent rider"

  17. #17
    \|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Reputation: RedRocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    Nice post indeed. The trail looks like it's in great shape too, you can't even tell that it's been poured on and frozen/thawed for weeks on end!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoctorJD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    348

    You're killin' me Duck...

    I'm going to pull a late-nighter to try and finish building-up my new Superlight so I can hit the trails this weekend. A good friend of mine (self-employed) did a pre-ride of sorts over at Heritage Park this morning in preparation for the GAP race in a couple of weeks. He had to call me at work and rub it in a little. I don't think I'll know how to act when I crank down on the pedals and I'll actually MOVE! I've done nothing but ride my road bike on the trainer for the last month so it will be a refreshing change to actually have wind rushing through my helmet. Now, I've just got to figure out where to ride...Nice pics and post by the way!
    Last edited by DoctorJD; 02-20-2004 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling

  19. #19
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,406

    Herritage Park Sunday

    Riding Herritage Park Sunday myself for some preride action.

    Yes indeedy. Have never ridden there. The reviews kickass.

    Duck-a Superlight buildup eh? Good deal!

Similar Threads

  1. Rode the RRalph 2.1s again today, and
    By Duckman in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 05:21 PM
  2. Rode the Delta Shed today
    By wickerman1 in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 07:01 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.