so i was going to do this awesome ride last night...- Mtbr.com
    i worship Mr T

so i was going to do this awesome ride last night...

i was completely psyched. i haven't ridden outside in nearly 2 weeks....h3ll, i've barely even touched a bike in the last 2 weeks other than to move them from one spot to another. i guess buying a house and moving will do that to you. after all, who can ride if they're taking 8 trips to Home Despot a day?

but i digress...

yesterday's weather was forecast for sun & mid-60's. after almost 2 straight weeks of cold & rain i barely recognized the bright fireball in the sky. i carefully packed my riding gear the night before:
    knee warmers....check
    knickers............check
    sports bra..........check
    jersey...............check
    shorts...............check
    socks...............check
    shoes...............check
    gloves...............check
    helmet..............check

yesterday morning i loaded my bike into/onto my car: front wheel, floor pump, bike onto roof rack and locked securely in place.

the day dragged on.....finally 4:15 i couldn't wait any longer. i ran out to my car, grabbed my bag, and ran back to my office to change. by 4:30 i was pulling out of the parking lot and heading into traffic. traffic was relatively light and i arrived at my destination by about 5. the weather was beautiful and i was going to ride for 2-2.5 hrs or until it was too dark to see....

sh*t! i forgot my sunglasses. oh well. i'll go without.

drat! i left my work shoes and my jacket back at the office. oh well. i'll wear different shoes and no coat to work tomorrow.

i jumped out of my car. took the front wheel out from the back seat. grabbed the floor pump and ran around to the other side of the car to take my bike off the rack.

hmmm....rack keys. where are they?
    i look in the ashtray where i always keep them.............not there.
    i look on the dashboard......................................... .....not....there.....
    i look on the passenger seat.......................................not there!
    i look on the floor............................................. ..........not there!!

WHERE ARE MY *%#[email protected](%@#! KEYS????!!!!

i cursed. i slammed my car doors. i cursed some more. i wanted to cry. i briefly considered trying to break the lock (if i'd had a hammer i probably would have). i cursed again.

finally i realized i must have left my keys in the pocket of my jacket that i left in my office. hmmm, well, maybe traffic will stay light and i can run back to my office, grab my jacket (and the rack keys), and come back. i still might get an hour maybe more of riding.....

so i went back to my office, grabbed my work shoes and jacket, ran back down to my car, jumped in the car, and began to search my jacket pockets.

no keys.

dejected. i went home & rode the trainer for an hour.

rt

epilogue
    i never found the keys to my rack. the only thing i can surmise is that i must have left them on top of the car while i was loading things in the morning and then driven off. i vaguely remember thinking i heard something on the roof of my car when i started driving but thought it was just something falling from a tree.

fortunately i had a spare key on another key ring.
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Des(s)ert Rat
    Good, that will teach you, you sandbagger!

How about hiding a spare on the car somewhere? When I kept a cable lock in the truck bed I kept a spare hidden. Of course, this was only after I had done something similar...

i worship Mr T

hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Good, that will teach you, you sandbagger!

How about hiding a spare on the car somewhere? When I kept a cable lock in the truck bed I kept a spare hidden. Of course, this was only after I had done something similar...
    usually those keys live in my car so i always have them.....knowing me a spare would probably get lost, but i think i'll have a bunch of copies made this weekend and hide them all over the car!!

rt - you'll recognize me since i will be the one driving the car with keys glued to every available surface.

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

contains quinine
    with my ride crew - it seems like it's usually the shoes that get left somewhere...

although there was this time when someone forgot something needed (helmet, shoes, i can't remember and not the point), so we hopped back in the car to go get it. all set, he pushes in the clutch, the car's rolling in the dirt parking lot, and the key WON'T turn in the ignition. the steering wheel locks, and he slams on the brakes just before we hit a pole. We both try for several minutes trying to figure out what's up with the damned key. It won't budge for anything. we're twisting the steering wheel, trying everthing to force the key to "on." Needless to say, we're both leaving the annoyed state of mind and entering the angry state of mind.

Finally, one of us realizes that he and his wife both drive chysler corp cars, and the keys look almost exactly the same. It was the wrong key. Car started right up with the right key... oh, and we did get a good ride in anyway!

d
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member

lol

I suppose that goes a long way towards proving the point that when you *don't* need something, it's always around. But when you *do* need it, it's nowhere to be found.

... at least my mother would always say that

Oh, btw, congrats on the new house! ... I know that "multiple trips to Home De(s)pot"-thing all too well

Randy
    Last edited by 家ndyA; 02-20-2004 at 11:19 AM.
    Randy

mtbr member
    On one of my trips from Michigan to Baltimore, I put my bike in the car to save on wind drag and gas mileage. I left the roof rack on b/c I knew that I'd be coming back with a lot of stuff, so for the trip home, I'd put the bike on the roof rack.

So, I load up the car in Baltimore for the return trip and, ShOOT! no rack keys!
    I left the friggin keys in Michigan. ::slaps forehead in light of amazing stupidity::
    It took some creative rearranging of packages and stuff, but I managed to get home.

Epilogue:
    I was able to laugh at myself and I didn't curse at all.

i worship Mr T

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 家ndyA
    I suppose that goes a long way towards proving the point that when you *don't* need something, it's always around. But when you *do* need it, it's nowhere to be found.

... at least my mother would always say that

Oh, btw, congrats on the new house! ... I know that "multiple trips to Home De(s)pot"-thing all to well

Randy
    i'm currently in home depot withdrawl since i have not been there in almost FOUR days!

yeah, this incident is right up there with the time i went to do an epic about 2 hours from home only to discover that i left my front wheel in the garage. doh!

rt - planning multiple trips to the Depot (and Linens-n-things) this weekend

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    yeah, this incident is right up there with the time i went to do an epic about 2 hours from home only to discover that i left my front wheel in the garage.
    I actually remember that post!!! [email protected]! I'm old!!!!
    Randy

beer thief
    I can feel your "where are my keys?" despair. I hate when that sort of thing happens!

My #1 rule is NEVER put anything on the roof of the car. Or, put it on the windshield on the driver's side.

i worship Mr T

tried to find the link...

Quote Originally Posted by 家ndyA
    I actually remember that post!!! [email protected]! I'm old!!!!
    but it seems to have been sucked into the demise of the old format abyss.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T

lesson learned...

Quote Originally Posted by radair
    I can feel your "where are my keys?" despair. I hate when that sort of thing happens!

My #1 rule is NEVER put anything on the roof of the car. Or, put it on the windshield on the driver's side.
    again!

rt - so far i've only watched a coffee mug (filled), a tupperware container (filled), and a couple waterbottles (in various states of filled-ness) fly off the top of my car.....oh, and that pair of sunglasses that i didn't see fly away but have to assume....

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Feb 2004
    I forgot my shoes one evening ride. Even though it is only 20 minutes to the trail from home, the round trip would have made the ride impossible with the early sunset.

So I rode in my sneakers. After about a half-mile the sole of the shoe near the balls of my feet was on fire from the friction between them and the clipless pedals. Not to mention the major loss of pedalling efficiency and control of the bike I had to go without.

I'll certainly never forget my shoes again =).

Another time a friend and I were at a trail in Smithville TX and she had forgotten her shoes. Unfortunately she lives an hour from the trail and we were considering just going back home.

Out of the blue this guy offers her his shoes. They fit well enough to ride in and fit her pedals. He ended up giving them to her to keep for free, even though she offered him some compensation he refused.

Turns out she nearly broke her hand 2 miles into the ride and had to go back.

What a crap turn of luck.

Farce

contains quinine

rule #2 - always check the roof of the car, back bumper, rack, etc. Of course i learned this only after not following rule #1
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member

Things left behind or on the roof....

I tend to leave some of the more expensive thing behind or on a roof. A few items:\
    I left my front wheel sitting against the passenger side of the car after a ride and drove away leaving the wheel behind...brand new Chris King, Sapim CX-Ray spoked, Mavic 3.1 rim front wheel. Thank goodness some teammates finished riding right after I drove away and grabbed it for me.
    Camera on the top of the car. Took about 1 mile for it to roll off and blow-up on the road. Wallet a few times

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    i was completely psyched. i haven't ridden outside in nearly 2 weeks....h3ll, i've barely even touched a bike in the last 2 weeks other than to move them from one spot to another. i guess buying a house and moving will do that to you. after all, who can ride if they're taking 8 trips to Home Despot a day?

but i digress...

yesterday's weather was forecast for sun & mid-60's. after almost 2 straight weeks of cold & rain i barely recognized the bright fireball in the sky. i carefully packed my riding gear the night before:
    knee warmers....check
    knickers............check
    sports bra..........check
    jersey...............check
    shorts...............check
    socks...............check
    shoes...............check
    gloves...............check
    helmet..............check

yesterday morning i loaded my bike into/onto my car: front wheel, floor pump, bike onto roof rack and locked securely in place.

the day dragged on.....finally 4:15 i couldn't wait any longer. i ran out to my car, grabbed my bag, and ran back to my office to change. by 4:30 i was pulling out of the parking lot and heading into traffic. traffic was relatively light and i arrived at my destination by about 5. the weather was beautiful and i was going to ride for 2-2.5 hrs or until it was too dark to see....

sh*t! i forgot my sunglasses. oh well. i'll go without.

drat! i left my work shoes and my jacket back at the office. oh well. i'll wear different shoes and no coat to work tomorrow.

i jumped out of my car. took the front wheel out from the back seat. grabbed the floor pump and ran around to the other side of the car to take my bike off the rack.

hmmm....rack keys. where are they?
    i look in the ashtray where i always keep them.............not there.
    i look on the dashboard......................................... .....not....there.....
    i look on the passenger seat.......................................not there!
    i look on the floor............................................. ..........not there!!

WHERE ARE MY *%#[email protected](%@#! KEYS????!!!!

i cursed. i slammed my car doors. i cursed some more. i wanted to cry. i briefly considered trying to break the lock (if i'd had a hammer i probably would have). i cursed again.

finally i realized i must have left my keys in the pocket of my jacket that i left in my office. hmmm, well, maybe traffic will stay light and i can run back to my office, grab my jacket (and the rack keys), and come back. i still might get an hour maybe more of riding.....

so i went back to my office, grabbed my work shoes and jacket, ran back down to my car, jumped in the car, and began to search my jacket pockets.

no keys.

dejected. i went home & rode the trainer for an hour.

rt

epilogue
    i never found the keys to my rack. the only thing i can surmise is that i must have left them on top of the car while i was loading things in the morning and then driven off. i vaguely remember thinking i heard something on the roof of my car when i started driving but thought it was just something falling from a tree.

fortunately i had a spare key on another key ring.

Feb 2004

Similar story...

Last summer I found some free time to go for a solo ride. Loaded the bike on the hitch carrier and drove 45 mins. to the trailhead....only to discover that the front tire was in front of the exhaust pipe and had melted and burst on the drive out.

i worship Mr T

also, never...

prop your front wheel in back of your car. actually, i've never done this but i have set it up against the side of my car only to drive away and hear it hit the ground. doh!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bummer

Sorry to hear that sad tale.

Hey, got a LBS/mechanic recommendation as close to Va-Hi as possible?

Thanks.

Feb 2004
    Wow that sux0rz. I probably would have totally lost it.

I once drove 1/2 an hour to a park, _paid admission_, then realized I forgot my freakin shoes. Drove home to get em and by the time I got back an hour later, it was past 5:00 which is when the park stops charging admission. I suppose I coulda ridden in my sneakers but I... didn't.

I throw poop
    Your foray turned out better than mine did a few years back. I was in SLC and decided to take a quick evening spin.. I had a home-made/bike mount board to mount the bike on in the back of the rental SUV.. i removed the front tire, mounted the bike, got in, and promptly drove over my front wheel which I had left leaning on the rear wheel of the SUV.. DOH! Blond moment there.. And end of ride plans.

beer thief
    Ha, I drove away without one in a snowstorm one night. Fortunately the janitor at the climbing wall/health club stashed it inside! I still haven't figured out how to not forget the wheel. Maybe put it on the windshield?

Still chuggin' along
    Wow, now all of this makes me glad I'm too short to reach the roof of my minivan! Although, I'm waiting for the day I forget my helmet, camel back or whatever. **knock on wood**

"Mr. Britannica"

At least you didn't

lock your cars keys in your car, and/or drive your bike into the garage. No, I've never done either.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Or a child's bike that is too small to be seen from the rear view mirror. One infrequent poster here learned that one the hard way. Wasn't sure who was gonna cry more, Jordan or him.

There's no app for this.

Lol!

nice to know I'm not alone with missing equipment. Good story *rt* hope you find the missing, uh,.......... whatever you lost. Jim

A wheelist
    My "bonehead of the month" story is that I drove 45 minutes with a cop buddy to ride. On arrival, I place my car's alarm remote and ignition key on my I.D. string around my neck and off we went.

It was a very hot day and we returned from the ride drenched in sweat to my car which was parked near a swanky golf course close to one of the T's.

I fished the soggy remote out of my jersey neck and attempted to disable the alarm and unlock the power doorlocks. Nothing. Nada. I tried again. Same result. Gulp. Let's give it one more go. Zilch.

"Oh well there's nothing for it Chris but to open the door, set off my alarm and try to disable it. Don't arrest me willya?" I sezz. The swanky golfers golf nearby.

HONNNKKK - HONNNKKK - HONNNKKK - HONNNKKK (fumble, flumble with key, flick, flick, flick with hidden valet swich) HONNNKKK - HONNNKKK - HONNKKK !!

Mercifully the alarm shuts itself off in about twenty seconds. Great!! We're all set to go. Errr but I'd fogotten that the ignition interlock is programmed for such events. Click - click - click. Nothing. No "vrooom".

We're forty five minutes drive or a two hour bike ride away from my wife's bone-dry remote. Let's give this one more try.

HONNNKKK - HONNNKKK - HONNNKKK - HONNNKKK (fumble, flumble with key, flick, flick, flick with hidden valet swich) HONNNKKK - HONNNKKK - HONNKKK !!

Same result. Same hysterical laughter from Chris. Same reaction from swanky disinterested golfers.

We stand in the baking 90 degree heat, sweat pouring from us. Ok one more try. Same result. Shitt.

Eventally, mercifully, after about ten tries, all with identical outcomes, the doorlocks give the craved "kerlunk" sound and the alarm is disabled. I guess the remote dried out enough in the baking heat.

If the swanky golfers cheered we didn't hear it. We were too busy cramming stuff into the car.

i worship Mr T

Outback Bikes in Little 5

Quote Originally Posted by chickenlegs
    Sorry to hear that sad tale.

Hey, got a LBS/mechanic recommendation as close to Va-Hi as possible?

Thanks.
    great guys, good work. Peter is the owner and any one of the mechs there will do a great job.

APB is in VA-Hi but i'm not a big fan. you'll get better service and a better selection with Peter at Outback.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T

coming from the man who...

Quote Originally Posted by zilla
    Your foray turned out better than mine did a few years back. I was in SLC and decided to take a quick evening spin.. I had a home-made/bike mount board to mount the bike on in the back of the rental SUV.. i removed the front tire, mounted the bike, got in, and promptly drove over my front wheel which I had left leaning on the rear wheel of the SUV.. DOH! Blond moment there.. And end of ride plans.
    put bullets in the dryer... hehehehehehhe!! you wanted a new wheel anyway....right?

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T

wouldn't know anything about that....

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    lock your cars keys in your car, and/or drive your bike into the garage. No, I've never done either.
    really......besides what idiot would lock their keys in their car with the engine running in a pouring rainstorm?

oh, uh.....nevermind. wouldn't know anything about that either.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

"Mr. Britannica"

No really, I never have.

I put an orange cone in the doorway when bikes get loaded on the car, and leave the key in the trunk lock until ready to go (have driven away with the key still in the lock, though).

Give you kudos for getting on the trainer after all of that... most of us woulda just cracked a beer or 2 and surfed or watched tv.

i worship Mr T

found 3 extra keys...

Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    nice to know I'm not alone with missing equipment. Good story *rt* hope you find the missing, uh,.......... whatever you lost. Jim
    at the bottom of a drawer while unpacking this weekend......so i guess moving is good for something! i now have a key to my rack on each key chain. one hidden in my car. and one in my toolbox.

based on this i should never be without a key to my rack again......assuming i can remember where i put all of those keys.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T

you, sir, are a.......

kind & gentle man.

lol! that is pretty boneheaded.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I once forgot my front wheel

Same thing -- overworked, overstressed and anxious to ride. Took my bike off the roof rack, popped the hatchback to grab my front wheel and... contemplated riding a wheelie for 22 miles. Considering I suck at wheelie riding, that was a brief internal discussion. Live and learn.

i worship Mr T

lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly
    Same thing -- overworked, overstressed and anxious to ride. Took my bike off the roof rack, popped the hatchback to grab my front wheel and... contemplated riding a wheelie for 22 miles. Considering I suck at wheelie riding, that was a brief internal discussion. Live and learn.
    sounds a lot like my brief internal debate about breaking the lock on my roof rack.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Part-time rider

I feel ya rt!

I've never had a lock problem, but I've missed out on few (potentially) awesome rides because I forgot my helmet Granted I had an option of riding without one, but I'm always fearful of Murphy's Law -- like the only time I forgot my pump I got a flat. Don't wanna take any chances with my noggin...

K-Zero
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

Feb 2004

Bonehead's suprema!

I was driving back from a work trip up in NC at about midnight when I see a SUV ahead of me with sparks flying off of the back. I speed up to let them know something is amiss and as I get closer I see 2 mountain bikes dragging behind the thing, shooting off sparks. Apparently the 2 boneheads in the SUV were buzzed up pretty good and forgot to latch the bikes down to the hitch rack but did remember to lock the bikes w/a cable lock. I pulled up next to them and the 2 guys were busy jamming out and doing their best Waynes world imitation! I honked at them and waved my arms at them but they must have thought I wanted to race and they floored it. We were already doing 75 and I wasn't going to get a ticket trying to get the morons to pull over. I wish I could have seen the look on their faces when they finally stopped!!

i worship Mr T

i was so angry...

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    I put an orange cone in the doorway when bikes get loaded on the car, and leave the key in the trunk lock until ready to go (have driven away with the key still in the lock, though).

Give you kudos for getting on the trainer after all of that... most of us woulda just cracked a beer or 2 and surfed or watched tv.
    that i needed to do something to burn off the extra adrenaline. stomping around just wasn't satisfying.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T

potential darwin award candidates!!

Quote Originally Posted by enduroguy
    I was driving back from a work trip up in NC at about midnight when I see a SUV ahead of me with sparks flying off of the back. I speed up to let them know something is amiss and as I get closer I see 2 mountain bikes dragging behind the thing, shooting off sparks. Apparently the 2 boneheads in the SUV were buzzed up pretty good and forgot to latch the bikes down to the hitch rack but did remember to lock the bikes w/a cable lock. I pulled up next to them and the 2 guys were busy jamming out and doing their best Waynes world imitation! I honked at them and waved my arms at them but they must have thought I wanted to race and they floored it. We were already doing 75 and I wasn't going to get a ticket trying to get the morons to pull over. I wish I could have seen the look on their faces when they finally stopped!!
    wow! they almost deserve the damage.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging