So I crashed today...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

So I crashed today...

So today was a great day for a ride in Calgary. I did not have the time to zip out of city limits for a big tear as I had to be at work for the 18:00-06:00 shift. So I start by moving along some pavement from 14St. & 17Ave. down to the trail system under the 14St. Bridge. From there I head west out to Edworthy and a few cool technical little hills. I am a lousy climber so I've been focusing on climbing these great little rooty twisty and steep climbs hidden away like a pearl in an undiscovered oyster. As I go along I notice the creak from my seat post and seat tube interacting is gone, I finally have the bike dialed in for me. She responds like nobody's business, yes folks, today is good! I head out to the hill, clean it like it was a speed bump and stop at the top for a selfcongratulatory breather. Okay, everything is good to go. So I turn into the descent, a seperate way down than up, for obvious reasons.

I line up for the descent, clip in and begin to roll, my front tire catches a rut and I decide to slow it down to climb out of the rut before it gets beyond my control, so I GENTLY touch both sets of brakes, fully aware of what happens when you over load the front brakes on a downhill slope. What I forgot was that I had set the fork lockouts for pavement at the beginning of the ride. So guess who goes right over the bars... Yepp, you got it. And to top it off, I was still in a turn onto the descent and rolling so the whole laws of physics thing plays out and I land with my bike on top of me. I get up dust myself off and take stock of my condition, a few cuts, some bruises and a few abrasions, no biggy. I look my bike over and she SEEMS to be okay, except for some rocks and leaves that got in between the rim and the tire?!?! Well, I had no idea how the heck that happened, but I knew I was not gonna ride with that crap inside the tire. So I deflate the inner tube and begin to lift the bead on my tire with a lever... PShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, WELL SONOVA... Okay, so it's no big deal, it's only $6.00 for a new inner tube. Besides I have a spare in my Camelback. So I pull it out, put it on and pump it up... then I pop off the pump and go to put the cap on.... but I can't because the core is bent... I look at my watch, I have 90 minutes to get back home, eat, clean up and report for duty... OH DA... wait, I will just have to take my time down the hill is all. So I pick up my wheel and put it back on the bike, but something ain't right, I think to myself. So I give the wheel a spin... *wobblewobblewobblewobble* *sigh* Okay, I check the disc brake and it's running pretty much true. Allright, a break, even if it is a tiny one. So I get on my bike and grab the bars... which I am now able to clearly see are off to the left by about 15 degrees from true... NRRRGH FKKK Okay, calm...calm... calm... I look it over, test it to be sure it isn't loose and when it prooves to be immovable I just clip in and ride home... I get home and am greeted by the cheery sounds of my beloved wife (which just drained every bit of anxiety, I love that woman). I hear her get up off the couch and come towards the door. I know exactly when she got to the door because she was asking me how my ride... and there is when she sees the carnage and damage I have inflicted upon myself and my prize Stumpy HT.

All in all it was an okay ride...

Public Service Sermon coming right up...

EDIT: I am able to post this because when I went over the bars, my helmet was between me and a lot of babyheads and tree stumps which litter the area. If I wasn't wearing that thing, a minor incident may have ended in a fatality, mine. I believe in wearing a lid for my own protection and refuse to ride with those who don't.
    Last edited by Th' Mule; 10-12-2004 at 08:48 PM.
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

Mar 2004

Lol!

'EDIT: I am able to post this because when I went over the bars, my helmet was between me and a lot of babyheads and tree stumps which little the area. If I wasn't wearing that thing, a minor incident may have ended in a fatality, mine. I believe in wearing a lid for my own protection and refuse to ride with those who don't.'

I'm with you there buddy. I'm onto my third helmet having broken the first 2 whilst crashing my bike. I'm thinking about a full-face after trying to slow my momentum with my face leaving me in possesion of some lovely road-rash.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Th' Mule

EDIT: I am able to post this because when I went over the bars, my helmet was between me and a lot of babyheads and tree stumps which litter the area. If I wasn't wearing that thing, a minor incident may have ended in a fatality, mine. I believe in wearing a lid for my own protection and refuse to ride with those who don't.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. My helmet has saved myself from at the very least serious injury many times. Good man, good ride, good crash!!

Jan 2004

yupperz

Quote Originally Posted by Th' Mule
    My helmets ahve saved my life "literally" 3 times.

Never ride without one EVER - great story, ride, and crash - live to ride another day

-JG

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

So the update...

I took my bike into The Bike Shop today and Stuart, one of the wrenches took a peek. I knew it wasn't good when he let out a slow and low whistle (the kind that tells the hero of the story that its gonna co$t him). He put her up on the stand and did a quick look-see and told me he might be able to save the wheel, but not to be too optimistic. Stuart put out some options for me, including a new Mavic 317 front wheel build (which I selected as an alternative, should the true fail). He then looks at the head set and says that it'll be no problem to straighten the stem back out. So, seing as it was 10:30, I was just off the night shift and I was tired, I went back home. I just got up a while ago and Stuart left me a message. So I call him back and he tells me the 223 rim was not recoverable, but that he did find a Mavic 317 build that had been marked down by CDN$40.00 to CDN$120.00. So yours truly was happy because the bike is now ready to roll a day early, the bill is half what I was expecting and the guys at The Bike Shop have gone that extra mile that keeps me coming back!
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thanx folks...

I appreciate the feedback from you all. I was worried I was sounding all preachy, but I am assured by your responses I preached the right sermon.

Cheers!

~a grateful, yet still stubborn, clyde...
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle