So I cracked my helmet and broke both wrists today- Mtbr.com
    insert sarcasm here

So I cracked my helmet and broke both wrists today

And then had to drive two hours to get home.

Yup thats pretty much how it went. Was having a great day on a solo ride, then took a huge fall after botching a smaller feature.

Oh, I almost forgot the photo, to make this thread Passion worthy.

Name:  wrecked wrist.jpg
Views: 3501
Size:  7.6 KB
    Last edited by gbug; 03-03-2013 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member

So I cracked my helmet and broke both wrists today.Then drove two hours go get

Damn! Get well soon.

1001001SOS
    Ouch!

What happened to you is always in the back of my head when I ride alone, which is 95% of the time.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...

Rogue Exterminator
    Sucks

Can't imagine breaking both wrists.....oh wait yes I can, did it in high school and it sucked.
    Right arm in full cast and left arm in half cast.

I remember that baths, zipping my fly because one arm was in a full cast, and wiping my back side were big challenges.

Good luck and speedy recovery.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    is the bike ok?

mtbr member
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Hope your bike AND head are OK. We know what's up with your wrists! How far were you from the trailhead?
    Also, you can still keyboard, so all is not lost!
    Last edited by June Bug; 03-03-2013 at 07:10 AM.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Get well soon. I hope your wrist Fx are minimally displaced if at all. I broke mine Superbowl Sunday, refused a cast, did away with the splint yesterday and am working on flex now. Go back to doc Wednesday; if like my 4 week ankle break last spring he will say ok I see some healing in the xray; carry on.

Get better soon !

9 lives
    Healing vibes sent!

You mentioned that you cracked your helmet. Did you hit your head as well?
    Did you blackout when you hit your head? Did you get x rays? Head injuries can be very serious even if you feel ok immediately afterwards.

Anyway speedy recovery
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Jeez. So sorry to hear. I've only broken one wrist at a time (one of those on a bicycle), and that was bad enough. Glad you broke the helmet and not the skull.

If I may ask, how did you get out?

mtbr member
    hope you heal quickly
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So how do you, I mean, well...you know.
    Wait your turn, take your turn, cover your azz John Correia

insert sarcasm here
    Thanks everybody for the kind words, feeling pretty bummed this morning but it's good to know folks are pulling for me.

kjlued
    I remember that baths, zipping my fly because one arm was in a full cast, and wiping my back side were big challenges.
    Yup, I have a feeling wiping my ass is going to be a difficult endeavor.

ArmySlowRdr
    Get well soon. I hope your wrist Fx are minimally displaced if at all.
    Luckily it's just hairline fractures in both wrists; could be back on the bike in 3-4 weeks, with casts off by 6 weeks hopefully.

cyclelicious
    You mentioned that you cracked your helmet. Did you hit your head as well?
    Did you blackout when you hit your head? Did you get x rays? Head injuries can be very serious even if you feel ok immediately afterwards.
    Yeah my helmet actually took a very large impact, I can't believe I don't even have so much of a headache considering I flew pretty far and landed on a large slab of rock. I immediately knew without lookng that I had destroyed my helmet. Second time my Uvex helmet has protected me during a major impact. I had a concussion several months ago, so will be keeping an eye out for any post-concussion symptoms.

Gregon2wheels
    If I may ask, how did you get out?
    I was lucky in that I only had a short hike up to high ground, then soft pedaled for 2 miles on smooth doubletrack back to the lot.

xcguy
    So how do you, I mean, well...you know.
    Yeah, this next month could be...interesting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    When working as a painter in my younger days I fell off a ladder and broke both wrists and got a concussion. It sucked! I guess I'm saying "I know how you feel". And I hope you feel better soon. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sorry to hear about your fall. Glad you were able to drive yourself to get help. I've broken a lot of bones, but my worst was from a snowboarding injury about 12 years ago. It was the first time out that season and I had a hard fall coming up short on a table top. Broke 2 bones in my left wrist and separated my right shoulder. Thankfully I had a friend with me who drove me to the hospital. The next month or two was rough. I was 21 years old, and had to put on a swim suit and had my mom bathe me... it was miserable. Thankfully I was able to wipe and get dressed on my own... Needless to say, it was not fun. Wishing you a speedy recovery

mtbr member
    I can't say I've broken my wrists but I've twisted up and sprained them a few times, and I landed on my head and broke my helmet back in september. I've rattled around my brain a couple times with a good concussion and hairline fractures around my breastplate when my head smacked into it a couple years back. Several months of painful popping every time I laughed, coughed and sneezed brings back painful memories. I joke about it now because I realize how well your body can recover if you're in decent shape. The fact you drove home after proves you're one tough muther, my hat's off to you and welcome to the tribe. Be patient, you'll be back in the saddle in no time.

two wheel whore
    What a bummer. Get well soon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery, i broke my left wrist several years ago, went into surgery thinking, ok, i will come out, it will be in cast, and everything will be cool. To my horror I woke up with two metal rods sticking out of my skin, one in my hand, one above my wrist with a rods connecting the two together so it could not move. Like from a frankenstien movie. Had that for 12 weeks. Can't imagine having both of them broke.

Good luck with the recovery and make sure you follow your docs instructions the tee for rehab.
    Last edited by joeduda; 03-08-2013 at 06:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Ouchie. Looks like it'll take 2 hands to hold your beer, but that's ok. As for the heinie wiping situation - that's when you find out who your friends are!

Fortunately, you're injuries are not severe - be thankful, reflect on your good fortune, and heal fast!
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Atleast you got the positive attitude with the thumbs up, hope you have a speedy recovery!

Trail Addict
    Glad to know you we're wearing a lid. As a soon to be trail rider, I was going to wait to buy one, so if this means anything, your story has convinced me to go buy one today.m

Get well soon!
    #JdubGriff
    KHS Comp St Hybrid

banned
    Sep 2010
    I suggest you forgo the aforementioned feature. At least for a while.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Glad you were able to walk out! March 20th 2011 I broke my Femur. Glad I wasn't solo riding. Heal quick!!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Shi††y situation! Glad it wasn't worse. Best wishes for a full, speedy and sane recovery.

How many soloists carry a PLB? I can't see not taking one. A couple hundy could keep an injury from becoming a life-threatening ordeal. Thanks, NOAA...

RipRoar: LOL

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you made it out OK and able to tough the long drive to a hospital! Heal quickly!

Cheers!
    09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er
    16 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -30

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    well he says healing is occurring and 2 more weeks splint. see him again on the 25th.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Get well soon. I hope your wrist Fx are minimally displaced if at all. I broke mine Superbowl Sunday, refused a cast, did away with the splint yesterday and am working on flex now. Go back to doc Wednesday; if like my 4 week ankle break last spring he will say ok I see some healing in the xray; carry on.

Get better soon !

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    get well soon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Wow, get well soon! That really sucks. I hope the bike is okay too... not that that is the most important thing... heh. Just kidding. Stay safe!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Dude, that is horribly painful, out of all the crazy stunts I have done, mostly when I was a kid, I never got hurt like that. I hope you heal up alright, sounds really bad. How can you even type?
    One/Two finger punch style?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I had similar accident last year (plus a nice head wound).... good luck on recovery!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just did this at the end of last August. If you are going to get casts and stay in them for a month or so it is worth the extra $80 for the Goretex, makes it much easier to shower daily.

The one thing I will mention is once they are healed I would consider a wrist brace, I fell almost 4 months to the day after breaking both arms and broke my right arm again, I just had no strenght and the wrist bent right back=/ That was New Years eve, I have had my cast off since 29 Jan strength seems ok but I cannot put weight on it such as doing pushups.

insert sarcasm here
    Ray Raton
    I suggest you forgo the aforementioned feature. At least for a while.
    Haha, I concur.

The_Devin_G
    Dude, that is horribly painful, out of all the crazy stunts I have done, mostly when I was a kid, I never got hurt like that. I hope you heal up alright, sounds really bad. How can you even type?
    One/Two finger punch style?
    Left hand I can type normal, right hand it hurts to twist, so it's hunt/peck style. And lots of typos from the casts hitting other keys.

Mishtar
    I just did this at the end of last August. If you are going to get casts and stay in them for a month or so it is worth the extra $80 for the Goretex, makes it much easier to shower daily.

The one thing I will mention is once they are healed I would consider a wrist brace, I fell almost 4 months to the day after breaking both arms and broke my right arm again, I just had no strenght and the wrist bent right back=/ That was New Years eve, I have had my cast off since 29 Jan strength seems ok but I cannot put weight on it such as doing pushups.
    Stories like yours are what I'm most afraid of: re-breaking something when I do get back on the bike. I'm planning on doing an XC race that is 9 weeks from the date of my crash, and you can bet that I will be wearing wrist guards just in case.

And luckily, I have removable casts, so showering is not an issue. It's the aforementioned heinie wiping that is tough. TMI?
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    Stories like yours are what I'm most afraid of: re-breaking something when I do get back on the bike. I'm planning on doing an XC race that is 9 weeks from the date of my crash, and you can bet that I will be wearing wrist guards just in case.

And luckily, I have removable casts, so showering is not an issue. It's the aforementioned heinie wiping that is tough. TMI?

It did not break in the same spot though, the bones was strong it was the wrist strength I think that caused it. With removable casts though you can probably flex them a little. I had not broken a bone before I turned 38, then in the last 2 1/2 years I broke my right schapoid once, then both arms Radial in left and both bones in the right and then the radial in the rigth again this winter. Lucky for me I have never need surgery!

~*~*~*~*~
    Quote Originally Posted by jrss13 View Post
    I was 21 years old, and had to put on a swim suit and had my mom bathe me...
    Mom is always there if her babies need her! :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That sucks man! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Jeez, this sounds really painful, would you advise wearing wrist protectors/braces to keep the chance of breaking something if you wreck to a minimum?

Btw, I had a spectacular over-the-handlebars wreck yesterday, didnt hurt anything, just bruised ego and a reminder that the front brake does indeed work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    OP, it's been 11 months since you broke your wrists!
    How are your they now?
    Was the 6 week casting enough for them to heal?
    I a suffering from wrist pain since I outstretched my hand 2 months ago when a soccer ball hit the top of my palm. One month ago, the orthopedist said it will heal in one week, but it didn't.

The perfessor
    - back in January, almost broke my elbow in a fall but it set me back 6 weeks in training......yesterday was my first ride back and really enjoyed myself...hope you have a quick recovery but with both wrists broken, chances are one will require surgery / problems that will take a while to heal - I hate running but suggest you find something to keep your fitness up..........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by adi700 View Post
    OP, it's been 11 months since you broke your wrists!
    How are your they now?
    Was the 6 week casting enough for them to heal?
    I a suffering from wrist pain since I outstretched my hand 2 months ago when a soccer ball hit the top of my palm. One month ago, the orthopedist said it will heal in one week, but it didn't.
    No offense but what does that have to do with his injury?

"Outstreched" your hand? Is that torn ligaments?
    Did you have an MRI for an official diagnosis or did the doc just have you move it this way or that way and maybe take an x-ray?

Tore the ligaments in my shoulder almost a year ago and I am still reminded of the injury on a regular basis. Broke a collar bone several years ago and a few months later there were no reminders.

I would have rather broken my collar bone again.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery; be safe next time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Glad is wasn't to bad of a break or two. My wife's arm and wrist, that was a fun day

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ That looks SOOOO wrong!

I faired a little better with just a finger issue.

So I cracked my helmet and broke both wrists today-dislocated-finger-rlp.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    Glad is wasn't to bad of a break or two. My wife's arm and wrist, that was a fun day

Oooh...that's a good one! Make sure you post on the Most Serious Injury thread. There's some good stuff over there.
    I like to ride bikes.