Ska
    Steel is real.

Seen this yet? I call B.S. on this one.....

Have any of you seen this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/B...urn=top-262060

I call B.S. on this one........abandoned?........$5?.........
    Last edited by Ska; 08-13-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    Holy crap I haven't seen that article since yesterday!

mtbr member
    I've seen a lot of weird odd ball stuff at yard sales. Sometimes you find gems. Who knows?

mtbr member
    yea i saw it..... makes me mad that that didnt happen to me

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by metaljim
    Holy crap I haven't seen that article since yesterday!
    LOL........Well aren’t you on your game. I feel like such a tool now.

Seriously though - no need to get all “cool guy” on me - cool guy. A simple yeah would have sufficed. LOL

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    Hey, at least I didn't say "SEARCH FUNCTION DUMBASS!"

the test dummy
    wow thats pretty funny.... how much you wanna bet the "foreign special peddles" were clips
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

BMX:Our Shining Future

hand machined titanium

vacuuum plasma coated in diamond like car bon

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Why does this happen to OTHER people all the time?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/384328...entertainment/

since 4/10/2009
    I say BS. It'd take a special kind of moron to take a custom one-off bike (that's going to weigh substantially less than anything the guy's ever seen) and think it's a POS and try to sell it for $5.

It's true it was KY, after all...but even I didn't think Kentuckians were THAT dumb.

It'd be more believable if the guy sold it for a couple hundred bucks (realizing that it HAD to be a nice bike, and would therefore command a higher price than the typical mart bike, but not knowing quite how much).

CEO Product Failure
    It happens more often than you think.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...rre&id=7556993

But my gut is telling me, the bike is stolen and the thief is not far removed from the current seller. Remember Lance's bike got stolen for an entire 36 hours this past year? Then mysteriously was turned in to the local police.

transmitter~receiver
    looks like the bike landis rode at leadville
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

ain't seeen nothin'

yyyeeettt!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599201004400
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by davidarnott; 08-13-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: forgot the shot of broooke sheilds and micheal jacksooon

mtbr member
    That has "STOLEN BIKE" written all over it.

mtbr member
    Maybe Landis was blood doped out of his mind and left it in a ditch somewhere.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    My bet is Landis traded his bike to that fool for dope or pro tail and now that cornball pusher/pimp pulls that $5 stuff out of his ace to get free promo for a $6000 price tagged bike
    no one would sell that bike for $5 , let alone abandon it on the side of the road , did anyone ask Landis how the bike left his possession ?

mtbr member
    Ok, as a resident Kentuckian and old, old school MTBR ( I had to reregister in 2004 because I lost my old password) user, I have to comment.

People from Kentucky aren't idiots or rubes. ( well not all of them anyway). There is something rotten about this story. Stolen comes to mind.

I have a Merlin XLM, Ellsworth Truth, Santa Cruz etc. Kentuckians ride top end bikes. We just held a very large ( world class) bike race this past weekend in Cherokee Park in Louisville. Interesting timing......

Anyway, Enough with the hating.

Thanks
    Jennifer
    Last edited by HomegrownGal; 08-13-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    .........But my gut is telling me, the bike is stolen and the thief is not far removed from the current seller...........

!!!!DING DING DING DING!!!!

My thoughts exactly. That and/or the thief stole it and sat on it for a couple of years. No one came calling and there was no real press about it so now he/she figures it's all clear to get some publicity and sell it for good $$

Maybe Landis himself should come out and say he wants it back. He can tell them it was ďall that JackĒ he had the night before and he forgot it on the side of the road.

God knows he needs to pay his legal bills somehow. Oh yeah, he gets friends, family, sponsor and fans to do that......

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownGal
    Ok, as a resident Kentuckian and old, old school MTBR ( I had to reregister in 2004 because I lost my old password) user, I have to comment.

People from Kentucky aren't idiots or rubes. ( well not all of them anyway). ........ Anyway, Enough with the hating.

Thanks
    Jennifer
    Agree with you. Donít paint us all with the same brush though. Only one made nasty comments about those in Kentucky (Iím sure it was in jest). When I read it Ė I disagreed.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Im' not, just saying that I noted a comment in this thread, and in the yahoo story there are dozens of hater comments about Kentucky being the reason for this bike being sold for $5.

I commented on the Yahoo thread too. Count Trackula is me (if anyone has been following).

mtbr member

People from Kentucky aren't idiots or rubes. ( well not all of them anyway). There is something rotten about this story. Stolen comes to mind.

I have a Merlin XLM, Ellsworth Truth, Santa Cruz etc. Kentuckians ride top end bikes. We just held a very large ( world class) bike race this past weekend in Cherokee Park in Louisville. Interesting timing......

Thanks
    Jennifer
    Jenn! Go check the still, put back your teeth, and keep the door closed on the single wide. Sorry! I had to. Luv ya.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Dope trade gone bad.

Ask Floyd if it is his. He'll say, no, that's not my bike, it just looks like my bike. Then in a couple of years he'll say, well, that is my bike and one of my old friends traded it for drugs, you should arrest him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho
    Jenn! Go check the still, put back your teeth, and keep the door closed on the single wide. Sorry! I had to. Luv ya.
    Hey, I'm from Ky not TN!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle
    Dope trade gone bad.

Ask Floyd if it is his. He'll say, no, that's not my bike, it just looks like my bike. Then in a couple of years he'll say, well, that is my bike and one of my old friends traded it for drugs, you should arrest him.
    LMAO!!!!

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska!
    That and/or the thief stole it and sat on it for a couple of years.
    Landis probably hocked it for dope.

Broooke Shields traded it in a contract hit on Micheal Jackson

yes

Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankie
    Why does this happen to OTHER people all the time?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/384328...entertainment/
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

since 4/10/2009

Thanks
    Jennifer
    Just a joke. I'm a Hoosier, so that should explain the joke. I agree that the sketchy story suggests theft/exchange for drugs.

mtbr member
    Is it magic or something?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    IDK about this. While I find gems at garage sales often, I don't think anyone would/could wheel a super light BMC down the driveway, lean it up against a tree, and slap a $5 sticker on it.
    "I'm a raging workaholic; I'm a working rageaholic"
    -George Carlin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mondaycurse
    IDK about this. While I find gems at garage sales often, I don't think anyone would/could wheel a super light BMC down the driveway, lean it up against a tree, and slap a $5 sticker on it.

exactly. morons want $200 for a 50 lb. huffy.

Rolling
    I think BS too. Everyone wants that dream of finding the killer steal--hyped story...and Yahoo has some of the least credible news around.

But like I said on the CO forum. Tell people it's a Landis bike, it's worth nothing. Tell them not, it's a great bike worth thousands. It's actually a great bike and even a moron could tell it's worth more than $5...or $500.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    looks like the bike landis rode at leadville
    Does it ever........even the saddle bag.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009

Thanks
    Jennifer
    So Kentucky in general rides nice bikes because you have a Merlin XLM, Ellsworth Truth, Santa Cruz etc?

Smarter Than He Looks
    I don't get it...how do they know it's Landis' bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey, I have a bike for sale. I guess it's something called a Trek? I found it in the ditch with a tag on it saying it belonged to some guy named Lance. I'll sell it for $7. Any takers?

Seriously, this story smells strongly of BS. Didn't I hear Landis had a bike stolen awhile back?
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

AZ
    banned

Smarter Than He Looks
    But still....guy buys $5 bike at yard sale, bike turns out to belong to Landis. There's a gap in the story, how did the new owner of the bike figure out it's origin?

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker
    But still....guy buys $5 bike at yard sale, bike turns out to belong to Landis. There's a gap in the story, how did the new owner of the bike figure out it's origin?

Yes..............AND..................how does a "gust of wind" blow a locked bike off a rack. LOL

That’s hilarious.

I don't blame Landis for laughing at that one either.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mondaycurse
    Not quite in the same league, but back in the late 90s I had a Giant ATX 880 stolen from the back of a friend's Landcruiser. Five or six years later, I spotted it at another friend's house. He's a compulsive garage-saler and had picked it up for $10.

mtbr member
    well on his facebook fan site, several people posted up the articles. No reply though

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr
    well on his facebook fan site, several people posted up the articles. No reply though
    landis has a fan site?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    landis has a fan site?

Yep , it's visited by tens of people every month .

mtbr member
    well yahoo news is generally not so reliable, and I still find the story somewhat suspect, but at least a bit more credibility to it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6126352.story

White Knuckle Rider
    It was on the local news here as well... not just Yahoo.

Sadly... I passed that "yardsale" that weekend. I believe it is the one that stretches like 100 miles or something. It's some kind of annual thing.

I didn't stop, though I wish I would have.
    EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY... FOR TOMORROW WE DIE.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I too, call BS on that one. NOBODY is gonna sell a 20lb BMC FS for $5....no matter how much dope they are on!!!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

member since '97
    Crazier stuff has happened

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/07/2...ery/index.html

So, yeah you can find a Landis bike at a yard sale. Esp. When you consider that race bikes get stolen repeatedly, if not handed off.

You can look at it as a piece of history, but the team just sees it as a bunch of tubes. Given Kentuk's place in the drug trade it's quite conceivable his bike. And that the person selling didn't see any diference between that bike an a walmart bike.

It's not unbelievable, you just don't want to believe that could happen. Sadly it does, unless you bought the bike, then it's "fortunately it does"
    Life is too short to race through it. When life is a blur, you'll miss the magic.

At Work
    Actually the Bike still belongs to Landis and should be given back.

It is called "Theft of lost property".

My wife years ago was driving my Avalanche and left the tailgate down. I had a tool bag and a Rubbermaid container with a bunch of my Jet Sking ridding gear in it. Everything fell out and she never knew it until a mile later she stopped at a gas station, a guy pulled up and told her that she had a box fall out the back. She goes back and only finds one item. A witness (Wife of the cop that worked at my wifes school) saw a van stop and pick everything up. The Cop told my wife about it the next day after his wife just happened to mention it (Road was next to the school) so he told us to file a report with the Police and that it is actually called "Theft of lost property". I was able to actually file this to my insurance. Only reason was because there was actually a witness to it. Had nobody seen it then I could not have filed anything and expected anything to come about.

Yeah, this may be a finders keepers deal but should be returned now that the true owner is identified even if he is a worthless loser.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    ^^^ As much ass I think this is an absolute absured law it is possible in some state
    However having been through the nightmare of retarded courts before trying to get back things that were actually stolen I do not see how its actually upheld.

http://www1.apsu.edu/oconnort/3010/3010lect06a.htmThere's no such thing as "finder's keepers" for lost or mislaid property under Theft Law. All states have little-known statutes establishing the standards by which a reasonable effort must be made to find the true owner. However, if there's no real way of ever finding the true owner (like finding a dollar bill on the sidewalk), the taking does not constitute larceny. Many states have constructed three levels of taking:s,

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy97
    Given Kentuk's place in the drug trade it's quite conceivable his bike. And that the person selling didn't see any diference between that bike an a walmart bike.
    I think you may be confused as to what the Kentucky drug trade is - hillbilly heroin, meth, weed, and moonshine aren't what Floyd was juiced on.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

AZ
    banned

Can't figure out how the guy didn't think that the rightful owners wouldn't want the bike back .

mtbr member
    Personally I think it is just a publicity stunt by Lanids and some friends to try get back into the public eye and maybe sell a book or two. At least that is what the conspiracy theory side of me thinks.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper
    Personally I think it is just a publicity stunt by Lanids and some friends to try get back into the public eye and maybe sell a book or two. At least that is what the conspiracy theory side of me thinks.
    There's something going on, because any hillbilly knows that bike is worth more than $5 in scrap weight.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

At Work
    ^^^ As much ass I think this is an absolute absured law it is possible in some state
    However having been through the nightmare of retarded courts before trying to get back things that were actually stolen I do not see how its actually upheld.

http://www1.apsu.edu/oconnort/3010/3010lect06a.htmThere's no such thing as "finder's keepers" for lost or mislaid property under Theft Law. All states have little-known statutes establishing the standards by which a reasonable effort must be made to find the true owner. However, if there's no real way of ever finding the true owner (like finding a dollar bill on the sidewalk), the taking does not constitute larceny. Many states have constructed three levels of taking:s,

Oh, yeah, it a ***** to deal with. I think it boils down to there has to be a witness to the items being retrieved.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    So Kentucky in general rides nice bikes because you have a Merlin XLM, Ellsworth Truth, Santa Cruz etc?
    How old are you? Seriously?

My point was, that some people in Kentucky ride nices bikes. I guess I should assume my bikes are ****. Dunno. And no, because I have decent ( I guess, we'll have to ask you) bikes doesn't mean everyone in Kentucky does.
    What it DOES mean, is that I'm heavily into the sport, have been for almost 20 years, and I know a LOT of riders here and they too have nice bikes.

Hope that clears up the reading comprehension issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i think this is BS also.
    Back in 99-2000 when Lance was using a Litespeed for his timetrails the bike fell off the team car and was destroyed. HMMMM, did Landis learn this from lance for insurance purposes:?? I wonder if they had those bikes insured??

CEO Product Failure
    Last question: What kind of rack was it? If it was a Thule/SportWorks rack and they forgot to cinch the locking hook on the front tire AND the rear tire O-Ring AND it was the last bike on the rack...well, I can then see how a gust of wind or dip in the road would've sent the bike sailing.

However, and this is just food for thought, if the bike was on a fork mounted rack, meaning sans front wheel, then "LUCY! WE HAVE A PROBLEM!".

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    Last question: What kind of rack was it? If it was a Thule/SportWorks rack and they forgot to cinch the locking hook on the front tire AND the rear tire O-Ring AND it was the last bike on the rack...well, I can then see how a gust of wind or dip in the road would've sent the bike sailing.

However, and this is just food for thought, if the bike was on a fork mounted rack, meaning sans front wheel, then "LUCY! WE HAVE A PROBLEM!".
    Bikes falling off racks is not a new or uncommon phenomenon. I have a friend recently who lost two bikes off his trunk rack at 70-mph. Amazingly the bikes were not badly damaged and they rode them the same day after some minor McGivering.

AZ
    banned
    Would not have been the first bike to fall off of a rack , it most certainly wont be the last .

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    How old are you? Seriously?

My point was, that some people in Kentucky ride nices bikes. I guess I should assume my bikes are ****. Dunno. And no, because I have decent ( I guess, we'll have to ask you) bikes doesn't mean everyone in Kentucky does.
    What it DOES mean, is that I'm heavily into the sport, have been for almost 20 years, and I know a LOT of riders here and they too have nice bikes.

Hope that clears up the reading comprehension issues.
    Good for you. You still live in Kentucky though, but it's ok. You're heavily into the sport.

Oh, and I'm 30. I don't need to mention that I've been racing since 8 to make a point though. Oh ****, I just did.

AZ
    banned
    Good for you. You still live in Kentucky though, but it's ok. You're heavily into the sport.

Oh, and I'm 30. I don't need to mention that I've been racing since 8 to make a point though. Oh ****, I just did.

Wow , and your profile states that you started riding in 03 , that makes you 16 Y.O. does your mom know your on the computer?

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Wow , and your profile states that you started riding in 03 , that makes you 16 Y.O. does your mom know your on the computer?
    Bwwahaaahaahaaa
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I found a very expensive bike on the side of the road years ago. It looked like it belonged to a doctor or something. Nobody ever claimed it.

A few years later I crashed said bike and ended up in the hospital unconscious. When I woke up the doctor was talking about how he used to bike. I asked where, and I soon discovered that he was driving by my dad's farm to get there. Then he asked me if I had ever found a white bike up there because he lost it years ago off his rack but never found it. At the time I barely knew who I was, but weeks later I realized that I had actually crashed his bike! I wish that I could find him again.

It's a small world.

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Hahaha, well played.

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by electricc0wb0y
    I found a very expensive bike on the side of the road years ago. It looked like it belonged to a doctor or something. Nobody ever claimed it.

A few years later I crashed said bike and ended up in the hospital unconscious. When I woke up the doctor was talking about how he used to bike. I asked where, and I soon discovered that he was driving by my dad's farm to get there. Then he asked me if I had ever found a white bike up there because he lost it years ago off his rack but never found it. At the time I barely knew who I was, but weeks later I realized that I had actually crashed his bike! I wish that I could find him again.

It's a small world.
    Was there a stethescope attached to the bike?
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    Was there a stethescope attached to the bike?
    LOL! No. It was a high-end bike that seemed to be adjusted more like a new or casual rider would enjoy it.

When I talked to him, he seemed pretty serious about riding, though. Of course I was half unconscious, and he was trying to see if I was all there.

At Work
    so, why not go back and let him know you found his bike?
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

Members who have read this thread: 0