Sacrifices- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sacrifices

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sacrifices

What sacrifices have/do you make to get on a bike? Work through lunch? Start work earlier or wake up earlier to ride? Have you moved or changed your line of work to be closer to the areas that enables you to enjoy more of your hobbies?

mtbr member
    I spend a fair amount of time away from my family. Gratefully, my wife is supportive and she comes with me from time to time.

mtbr member
    sleep is usually one of the main areas that I steal time from to spend on the bike, the girlfriend is the other.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    +1 on sleep. I'm not a morning person so there's no way in hell I'm getting up at the butt crack of dawn to ride. I will however grab my lights and go out for a spin. The days finally back to getting longer. I was also thinking about trying to convince my boss to let me work remotely for a pay cut.

No known cure
    I moved up above a megalopolis for the trails. Originally it was to be at altitude for racing. There's really no services here, cost of living is higher, and I have to go down the hill for most all shopping and work. Only 7 11 is open this time of night. There's tourist who can't drive. But unless I'm on a MTB vacation, I only ride on the hill and if people knew some of what we have up here, I'd have to move.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    I get up at 5:15 every day, sometimes earlier. I have insomnia so it kind of works out, haha. My espresso maker helps me get out the door. Due to work and family obligations (and I don't mention those as having a negative connotation), if I want to ride, oftentimes the only time I have available is in the early morning hours, when it's still dark and cold. We also have ~8 months of winter conditions some years, so a lot of my riding is on snow. Thankfully, I have great trails within a 5 minute drive from my house.

Most of my friends and family think I'm crazy for going mountain biking when its 10 degrees (Fahrenheit) outside in the dark and on snow, but the mental health benefit I get from staying on the bike far outweighs the cost. Modern lighting and bar mitts have really helped me get out more. I logged over 160,000 vertical feet of climbing (and descending) last year, and hope to do the same or better in 2018. Probably about half of that happened before the sun rose.
    Bikes belong in Wilderness areas.

Cycologist
    I sacrifice some blood pretty commonly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Life's all about balance and part of that balance is self care. Since I graduated HS (never had any interest in going to college) almost 30 years ago I've always built life around play time. Play time, even a couple hours a day every day year round has always come first. Now at 45 with wife and child I get out as much or more than ever as my job gives me from 9am-1pm off Monday thru Friday with weekends and holidays off. I can ride dozens of miles of trail from my driveway and surf at the end of the street that I live on. I don't make a lot of money, but make best use of what I make. I've always valued free time way more than money as free time is priceless.

Sacrifices? None that I can think of honestly.

mtbr member
    To ride more I sacrifice chores, work, money, and family responsibilities.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Now that my wife and I have a kid, I sacrifice sleep to ride. I'm often on the trail as the sun rises during the riding season. I wouldn't even call it a sacrifice; I've come to enjoy the empty quiet trails early in the AM. I can get a nice long ride in and I'm home with coffee and doughnuts just as my wife and son are getting up.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    I try to sacrifice my kids' inheritance at every opportunity.
    Being retired in Park City Utah is a sacrifice, as you can't get wine at the grocery stores.
    I don't have time to think of anything else as I'm busy getting ready to go skiing.

mtbr member
    I sacrifice time on the river.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sacrifice? Hmmm. Nothing comes to mind. Bike commute saves me $$. Biking is cheaper than therapy. Good legs, great BP. keeps me happy and productive. I did get some bike tires before my car tires once. Maybe buy a little less bourbon? I do a fair amount of trail work but that's more of a win win.

mtbr member
    I tried sacrificing a lamb at the trail head, but it didn't help. Maybe a cow would be work better? Not sure if I should try a human.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    In years past, it was family time. That typically doesn't work out too well in the long run. Older kids and a nice work day schedule allow for prime riding now.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I tried sacrificing a lamb at the trail head, but it didn't help. Maybe a cow would be work better? Not sure if I should try a human.
    Hiker with earbuds?

My only "sacrifice" is having to pay for senior care... its hardly a sacrifice as it allows me to go riding.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I sometimes skip going out for coffee, reading, TV, or even browsing MTBR to go for a ride. I love riding so I'm OK with it, and can usually make it up on rainy days. Life is hard
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I ditched my car last year. It gives me a great excuse to ride every day because if I can't ride, I can't get to work!!

banned
    Nov 2017
    Good man!!!!^^^^^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawReynolds View Post
    Good man!!!!^^^^^^^
    Thanks - I don't miss the gas, insurance fees, car repairs. Its great exercise.

Pinehurst NC
    Sacrifice OT at work, some light/fast tires every now and then, my ego when someone 5 years my senior absolutely drops me right from go, sleeping past 0400 during the peak seasons
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I sacrifice money...for bikes and parts.

mtbr member
    Virgins.

Ok, maybe they weren't virgins but being gone most weekends spring through fall isn't exactly a good relationship builder.
    Last edited by WHALENARD; 01-17-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    $2.85/gal. Ride to work, yo.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For me its never a sacrifice, its just fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just $ really, I could afford some other nice items if it weren't for my MTB(s), as could everyone. Also, work/productivity time can go out the window fast when its primo conditions and/or winter is coming. (No regrets boys).

Lose some sleep to get rides in, but that's about it. I've got a pretty long commute so I have to start early but I get 1.5 hours of ride time in lieu of a .5 hour drive. Not a huge sacrifice per-se.

Professional Crastinator
    "Sacrifice" isn't the word I'd use.

I often trade sleep for rides (5:15a, almost any weather), but more often I just work a ride into my "normal" schedule. It might be a pretty short ride, but when it's that short it's called a time trial. I guess the bad part about that is that I am cramming a ride into a short amount of time, which means I don't get much parking lot poser time to chat with the bros. ...and no selfies. I am MOOving!

To get more rides, I often let my family drive somewhere while I bike there. This has been working out very well. But again, hardly a sacrifice.

"Sacrifice" is being at Keweenaw Mtn. Lodge at Copper Harbor, MI, on my bike, and riding elsewhere because my family was too unsure about riding the trails there. We arrived at a compromise, and I'm sure I've been "paid back" umpteen times over, but at the time that one hurt.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Nothing at all.

I have a bunch of trails near me so it's easy to ride after work during the summer when the days are long and the trails are snow-free. On weekends it's pretty common for my wife and I to load up the camping gear and make a weekend of riding different trails just a bit further from town.

That said, decades of biking, snowboarding, and otherwise poor posture have caused me some upper back/neck issues. Maybe that's a sacrifice but I can control it with stretching etc.

Rides all the bikes!
    I sacrifice other hobbies that I enjoy in order to focus on the one I am better at, but only short term. I love triathlon and running as well as motorcycle road racing, but I suck them so I have cut them mostly out of my life because I have a decent level of talent on MTB. But as I also love riding bicycles, it isn't a huge sacrifice.

I do feel like I should be spending more time with the horses, but I don't think they miss my attention (they roam in a pasture, so they aren't locked in a small pen without room to play). And I should probably play with my pup more too, but he is more of a cuddler which means I end up watching TV instead of doing stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0