Roadies don't say hi- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 95 of 95
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    31

    Roadies don't say hi

    so this morning i went out for a short ride on my normal route that i do everyday, and by the way this will be short because i hate telling long stories, so it starts raining when i am there so i just deal with it and bike home the way i always go. And when i was biking a roadie came up behind me and passed me didn't say hi or even acknowlege me which really got me annoyed because everyone i see on the trail or on the road you always wave or say goodmorning or something but he just blew by me and soon was way infront of me. so sorry for my little roadie rant.

  2. #2
    bust a move
    Reputation: 2ridealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,978
    Roadies have small penis`s

    I can live with the incorrect punctuation
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 07-08-2008 at 06:11 AM.

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    31
    yup

  4. #4
    wanna dance?
    Reputation: HotBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,073
    That is the first time I have ever heard of this. Ever.

    Killer topic idea.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scoutcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,987
    dont let this upset you. in the roadie world it isnt cool to say hello especially if they consider you to be a "Fred." to get them back every time you see a roadie yell "hello fred!"

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    dont let this upset you. in the roadie world it isnt cool to say hello especially if they consider you to be a "Fred." to get them back every time you see a roadie yell "hello fred!"
    whats a fred?!?!?!

  7. #7
    .
    Reputation: Timon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,529
    catch up and stick your pump in his front spokes.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    635
    most people i pass on trails don't say hi.

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    31
    most people i pass do

  10. #10
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    Killer topic idea.
    BREAKING NEWS!!!!

    No doubt - this deserves a sticky! Please sticky this to the top of the forum!!!

    So I just got off a road tour - with the 2 days of MTB invcluded, I ended up with about 500 miles in 8 days, 24,000 (plus) feet of climbing. 5 passes, 2 summits and a divide.

    I think I said hi to maybe 150 people I passed the whole week.

    Seeing as there were 2300 people out there on bikes... let's see.

    2300 x 6 days on the roadie = 13,800 opportunities to say hi.

    Acutally saying hi = 150

    On the MTB - only saw about 10 people on the trail on day 1... said hi to all of them.
    Day 2 - saw about 50 people on the trail, said hi to maybe 15 of them....
    25 / 60 = 41.6

    So on my roadbike, I am 99% *******, but on my MTB I am only 58% *******.

    Hmmm - maybe roadies really do suck.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,921
    Ever notice how roadies wear spandex? And what is up with airline food?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanbkr
    whats a fred?!?!?!
    fred n. 1) a person who spends a lot of money on his bike and clothing, but still can't ride. "What a fred -- too much Lycra and titanium and not enough skill." Synonym for poser. Occasionally called a "barney". 2) (from road riding) a person who has a mishmash of old gear, does't care at all about technology or fashion, didn't race or follow racing, etc. Often identified by chainring marks on white calf socks. Used by "serious" roadies to disparage utility cyclists and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable "freds" drop the "serious" roadies on hills because the "serious" guys were really posers. According to popular myth, "Fred" was a well-known grumpy old touring rider, who really was named Fred.

    http://world.std.com/~Jimf/biking/slang.html

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by ebineezer
    fred n. 1) a person who spends a lot of money on his bike and clothing, but still can't ride. "What a fred -- too much Lycra and titanium and not enough skill." Synonym for poser. Occasionally called a "barney". 2) (from road riding) a person who has a mishmash of old gear, does't care at all about technology or fashion, didn't race or follow racing, etc. Often identified by chainring marks on white calf socks. Used by "serious" roadies to disparage utility cyclists and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable "freds" drop the "serious" roadies on hills because the "serious" guys were really posers. According to popular myth, "Fred" was a well-known grumpy old touring rider, who really was named Fred.

    http://world.std.com/~Jimf/biking/slang.html
    oh ok that makes sense. WHY DO THEY WERE SPANDEX ANYWAY!?!?!

  14. #14
    Alien Surf Team
    Reputation: Razorfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,168
    It could be worse. You know how Harley riders say hi to sport bike riders.

  15. #15
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,363
    "HI!"

    Are you happy now? Have I validated your existence?
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  16. #16
    Shapeshifter
    Reputation: rjrodney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    40
    I say hi to every biker I see, and every car, and plane, and train, and dogs, and cats, birds too.

    Hi

  17. #17
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,749

    Sigh...

    Quote Originally Posted by brendanbkr
    oh ok that makes sense. WHY DO THEY WERE SPANDEX ANYWAY!?!?!
    FOR THE SAME REASON FOOTBALL PLAYERS WERE (sic) PADS IN THEIR UNIFORMS!!!!!!!

    It's the proper uniform for the sport. It's the same reason I wear spandex when I mountain bike and the reason I wear baggies when I pub crawl or ride socially.

    Regarding the original post: Roadies "don't say hi" for a number of reasons. Many of them are the same reason I don't say hi on singletrack. Please don't take it personally.

    Out of curiousity, do you wave to every driver you see when you're in your car? or at least to every driver who drives the same kind of car you drive? If not, why?

  18. #18

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    115
    seriously though, they don't.

    even a head nod would be cool.

    but no! they won't even do that.

    no eye contact either.

    and yes, i wave to every jeep wrangler driver i see.

  19. #19
    Shapeshifter
    Reputation: rjrodney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    40
    Uhm, I was a jerk, sorry.

    Hi everybody.

  20. #20
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,221
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    That is the first time I have ever heard of this. Ever.

    Killer topic idea.
    I just laughed out loud at the back of a meeting :/

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by atomiclotusbox
    seriously though, they don't.

    even a head nod would be cool.

    but no! they won't even do that.

    no eye contact either.

    and yes, i wave to every jeep wrangler driver i see.
    he seems to understand me

  22. #22
    Pedaler of dirt
    Reputation: marzjennings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    903
    About the only thing I say to other riders on the trails is,'on yer left' and once they've got out the way is,'cheers'.

    They only time I've ever said Hi to anyone is that the trail head. Once I hit the trails I'm all business, I'm sorry to say that for me mtbing is not a social thing. That's what pubs are for.

    And on the road, which I only ride for training, I'm concentrating on my pedaling action, watching my cadence and trying to maintain an average speed. About all I can manage to other riders is a three finger wave from the hoods.

    About the only time I am social on a bike is when we as a family take the tandem out for a ride through the local park. Them I'm all chatty and smiles to other riders and park users.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    787
    Buhuhu now run in corner and cry. So what if he didn't say hi. I don't say hi either and I'm not riding road bike.
    Primoz

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by ebineezer
    fred n. 1) a person who spends a lot of money on his bike and clothing, but still can't ride.
    So we have whole bunch of Freds even here, or does this goes just for "too much money spent on road bike"?
    Considering price of bikes majority of people here ride, and length and time of their average "epic" rides (read: 5-10miles in 8 to 12 hours), quite few could easily qualify to this.
    Bo do we really need to piss over everyone riding different sort of bike that we do? I wear lycra too, I ride light xc race bike, and since I don't do freeride I'm less of a rider?
    Primoz

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    246
    It's hard to say hi to someone when you pass them so fast with your head
    down pumping furiously in the midst of an on interval. When I road ride,
    I have a specific objective and training agenda to keep to and may be
    'distracted', so to speak. Please don't take it personally, we all love you.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanbkr
    most people i pass do

    maybe i scare them

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,867

    Ding!

    Wah wah wah. My god - get over yourself!

    We have a new nominee for lamest thread of the year. Hit's all the right cues; poor grammar, lame content, complete lack of Passion, and a classic whiny POS with little context and nothing of real merit or interest.

    That's on top of the fact it's generally in one of the top three idiotic topics to discuss on this board. (Another great topic is within the responses to this gem - the old I'm-too-self-concious-or- otherwise-embarrassed-to-dress-in- appropriate-garb-for-said-activity)

    What next? Shaving ones legs?

    Thanks!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  28. #28
    Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Reputation: Upandatem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    or at least to every driver who drives the same kind of car you drive? If not, why?
    Why do people do this anyway? So you made the same choice as a quarter of a million other people on this continent and bought the same car as me, I really don't care. Now if you had the same car, in the same color, with the same bikes on top, and the identical twin sister of my girlfriend is in your passenger seat, then hey, I'll throw you a high fiver.

    Other than that, save it.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    110
    a roadie said hi to me once, I asked him, what are you doing on my windshield?

  30. #30
    desert dweller
    Reputation: mattbikeboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    What next? Shaving ones legs?

    Sorry, but no..... it's time to bring up:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=butt+shaving

    Thanks and Hi,
    Mbb

  31. #31
    3327333
    Reputation: edemtbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,856
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    We have a new nominee for lamest thread of the year.
    "Hi!"

    I can help fix that, this thread is useless without pictures...





    Ed

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: longman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    539

    I wouldn't say Hi to you either...

    because you are a loser. get over it....have you seriously got nothing better to contribute than this POS whine?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: longman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    539

    oh..

    and I'm glad it rained on you... you deserve it

  34. #34
    Ska
    Ska is offline
    Steel is real.
    Reputation: Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,268
    Here's another pic for your thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg g.jpg (49.7 KB, 421 views)
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    635
    people really need to learn how to use the search feature in these forums rather than posting the same dumb threads all the time. and how does this end up in Passion? it should be moved to the beginner section maybe general discussion, or better yet, f88.

  36. #36

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    88
    You'll soon realize that you are not as important as you always thought you were in this world. Get used to it.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    830
    Ahahaha This Therd Is A Hoot

  38. #38

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    115
    it's not that they don't say hi,

    it's that they won't say hi...

  39. #39
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit44777
    a roadie said hi to me once, I asked him, what are you doing on my windshield?
    Mtbr makes me sad when I read crap like this thread, and this reply in general.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanbkr
    so this morning i went out for a short ride on my normal route that i do everyday, and by the way this will be short because i hate telling long stories, so it starts raining when i am there so i just deal with it and bike home the way i always go. And when i was biking a roadie came up behind me and passed me didn't say hi or even acknowlege me which really got me annoyed because everyone i see on the trail or on the road you always wave or say goodmorning or something but he just blew by me and soon was way infront of me. so sorry for my little roadie rant.
    Roadies not saying hi does not bother me. What does annoy me is posts like yours.

    For example : so i have a little rant to tell everyone about how bothered i get when roadies don't say hi to me so here it goes watch me now as i continue my little rant with no thought whatsoever to the use of periods and commas which i learned about many many many years ago but have always just disregarded their use because i like to write in a way where others have a very difficult time understanding what i am saying because i am too lazy to bother to use some very basic grammatical skills i know it is lame but i just dont have time i mean like i have time to post a rant about a roadie who didnt wave but i just cant seem to find any time to strategically throw in some commas and periods besides it is more fun to me to just follow my stream of consciousness and go on and on and on than it is to take a few extra seconds to format my post in a way where others can read it and comprehend my message i mean like wow oh my gosh but back on topic now can you believe he didn't wave i can't did i mention it started raining because i thought i should mention the rain even though it had nothing whatsoever to do with my point and even though i mentioned that i hate long stories i just thought i would make it longer by mentioning the rain i mean really now everyone likes the weather so why not mention the weather but really now i mean really now why didn't he at least nod he has to know how upset i get and it makes me think he just doesn't care oh my gosh i just can't believe it so what am i gonna do no i just don't know

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,867
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    "Hi!"

    I can help fix that, this thread is useless without pictures...




    Ed
    Ah... a ray of sunshine and a much needed shot of 'Passion' Ed! Thanks for helping out in here. That fantastic lady / azz-kicker is a keeper, I'd say.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  42. #42
    (not that fast)
    Reputation: fastale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanbkr
    so this morning i went out for a short ride on my normal route that i do everyday, and by the way this will be short because i hate telling long stories, so it starts raining when i am there so i just deal with it and bike home the way i always go. And when i was biking a roadie came up behind me and passed me didn't say hi or even acknowlege me which really got me annoyed because everyone i see on the trail or on the road you always wave or say goodmorning or something but he just blew by me and soon was way infront of me. so sorry for my little roadie rant.
    I bet it's because all roadies use drugs and they are really just jealous of your signature.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,867
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustWest
    Roadies not saying hi does not bother me. What does annoy me is posts like yours.

    For example : so i have a little rant to tell everyone about how bothered i get when roadies don't say hi to me so here it goes watch me now as i continue my little rant with no thought whatsoever to the use of periods and commas which i learned about many many many years ago but have always just disregarded their use because i like to write in a way where others have a very difficult time understanding what i am saying because i am too lazy to bother to use some very basic grammatical skills i know it is lame but i just dont have time i mean like i have time to post a rant about a roadie who didnt wave but i just cant seem to find any time to strategically throw in some commas and periods besides it is more fun to me to just follow my stream of consciousness and go on and on and on than it is to take a few extra seconds to format my post in a way where others can read it and comprehend my message i mean like wow oh my gosh but back on topic now can you believe he didn't wave i can't did i mention it started raining because i thought i should mention the rain even though it had nothing whatsoever to do with my point and even though i mentioned that i hate long stories i just thought i would make it longer by mentioning the rain i mean really now everyone likes the weather so why not mention the weather but really now i mean really now why didn't he at least nod he has to know how upset i get and it makes me think he just doesn't care oh my gosh i just can't believe it so what am i gonna do no i just don't know
    Bam!

    One thread can have both (a) lamest thread of the year award, and then (b) a nominee for sardonic response of the year. I like it.

    How'd you do that?
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  44. #44
    Ska
    Ska is offline
    Steel is real.
    Reputation: Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustWest
    Roadies not saying hi does not bother me. What does annoy me is posts like yours.

    For example : so i have a little rant to tell everyone about how bothered i get when roadies don't say hi to me so here it goes watch me now as i continue my little rant with no thought whatsoever to the use of periods and commas which i learned about many many many years ago but have always just disregarded their use because i like to write in a way where others have a very difficult time understanding what i am saying because i am too lazy to bother to use some very basic grammatical skills i know it is lame but i just dont have time i mean like i have time to post a rant about a roadie who didnt wave but i just cant seem to find any time to strategically throw in some commas and periods besides it is more fun to me to just follow my stream of consciousness and go on and on and on than it is to take a few extra seconds to format my post in a way where others can read it and comprehend my message i mean like wow oh my gosh but back on topic now can you believe he didn't wave i can't did i mention it started raining because i thought i should mention the rain even though it had nothing whatsoever to do with my point and even though i mentioned that i hate long stories i just thought i would make it longer by mentioning the rain i mean really now everyone likes the weather so why not mention the weather but really now i mean really now why didn't he at least nod he has to know how upset i get and it makes me think he just doesn't care oh my gosh i just can't believe it so what am i gonna do no i just don't know
    Absolutely hilarious!!

    I laughed the whole time I read that.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

  45. #45
    MB1
    MB1 is offline
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Reputation: MB1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    94

    So let me get this straight.

    Quote Originally Posted by brendanbkr
    so this morning i went out for a short ride on my normal route that i do everyday, and by the way this will be short because i hate telling long stories, so it starts raining when i am there so i just deal with it and bike home the way i always go. And when i was biking a roadie came up behind me and passed me didn't say hi or even acknowlege me which really got me annoyed because everyone i see on the trail or on the road you always wave or say goodmorning or something but he just blew by me and soon was way infront of me. so sorry for my little roadie rant.
    It was raining and some person passed you and you are all upset because they didn't stop for a nice chat while riding in the rain?

    #1 The world ain't all about you.
    #2 I'm just guessing here but perhaps they were in a hurry to get out of the rain.
    #3 You have fenders on your bike? I keep a good distance between me and fools without fenders while riding on wet roads.
    #4 Did the other rider have fenders? Maybe they wanted to do you a favor and not splash road grime all over you as they rode by.
    #5 See #1.
    Ua mau ke ea o ka aina I ka pono

  46. #46
    3327333
    Reputation: edemtbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,856
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Ah... a ray of sunshine and a much needed shot of 'Passion' Ed! Thanks for helping out in here. That fantastic lady / azz-kicker is a keeper, I'd say.
    Indeed

    Here's a bit more sunshine, earlier in the day.



    And at the risk of hijacking the thread - "Hi!"

    Ed

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,867
    "Hi" indeed.

    Oy! Yer killin' me Ed.

    Good hijackin' for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs

    Here's a bit more sunshine, earlier in the day.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  48. #48

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    29
    When Iím in my car other drivers don't wave to me. They suck

    The likelihood of greeting a stranger is inversely related to the frequency strangers are encountered.

    On an MTB trail in BFE, you say hey to lots. Walking in NYC you don't even acknowledge their existence if you bump each other.

  49. #49
    Nu-School Trail Rat
    Reputation: The_rydster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    249

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by atomiclotusbox
    it's not that they don't say hi,

    it's that they won't say hi...
    I think a lot of roadie folks (and cyclists in general) use their bike as a release from their work life. They have to work all day and manage different points of view. Then they get to go out on the bike, and if they want to hammer as hard as they can, they can do that. When I ride, I watch out for the safety of others... but just their physical safety. If their emotional safety is hurt by my riding style then . Seriously, I have never heard of this among runners, who would have even more time to talk.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pop_martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by pitanan
    Roadies have small penis`s
    and mountain bikers don't know when to (or not, in this case) use an apostrophe!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

  52. #52
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,759

    It is a mixed bag

    Some roadies are a pain in the butt: completely self absorbed butt heads. However, some are just having fun, riding hard, and having fun. They don't want to be bothered with being pro social.

    Jaybo

  53. #53
    slightly strange
    Reputation: Presto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    97
    Doesn't matter what your hobby is, there's always gonna be people that partake in it that are a holes.

  54. #54
    TLL
    TLL is offline

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    Why do people do this anyway? So you made the same choice as a quarter of a million other people on this continent and bought the same car as me, I really don't care. Now if you had the same car, in the same color, with the same bikes on top, and the identical twin sister of my girlfriend is in your passenger seat, then hey, I'll throw you a high fiver.
    If it was just your girlfriend in my passenger set, would you still wave?

    OP: I say hi to everyone, and really don't care if they say "hi" back, because deep down inside, I really hate everyone. I'm just polite about it, that's all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hanjin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    107
    You think you have a problem? I ride fixed gear, road, and mountain. Fixed gear rides HATE geared bikes, roadies HATE everyone, and MTB rides HATE the other two equally. So I'm screwed on anything I ride.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    288
    When I road ride I find that at the beginning of the ride I say hey or nod more readily than when I am "in the zone". Once I hit the more intense parts of the ride I am watching for cars, road hazards, listening to my breathing, controlling my cadence, cussing at the world off the bike, venting frustration. . . . Honestly I don't notice to many people when I hit that point. It isn't a matter of being rude, it is a matter of concentrating and being fully aware of myself and the dangers around me.
    I try to make up for this on the trails. And for the record, every roadie that I have encountered while riding my road bike has said "Hey" unless they are really mashing the pedals.
    Also, It is LYCRA people for gods sakes.
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

  57. #57
    DeForest Stump
    Reputation: Cobretti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustWest

    For example : so i have a little rant to tell everyone about how bothered i get when roadies don't say hi to me so here it goes watch me now as i continue my little rant with no thought whatsoever to the use of periods and commas which i learned about many many many years ago but have always just disregarded their use because i like to write in a way where others have a very difficult time understanding what i am saying because i am too lazy to bother to use some very basic grammatical skills i know it is lame but i just dont have time i mean like i have time to post a rant about a roadie who didnt wave but i just cant seem to find any time to strategically throw in some commas and periods besides it is more fun to me to just follow my stream of consciousness and go on and on and on than it is to take a few extra seconds to format my post in a way where others can read it and comprehend my message i mean like wow oh my gosh but back on topic now can you believe he didn't wave i can't did i mention it started raining because i thought i should mention the rain even though it had nothing whatsoever to do with my point and even though i mentioned that i hate long stories i just thought i would make it longer by mentioning the rain i mean really now everyone likes the weather so why not mention the weather but really now i mean really now why didn't he at least nod he has to know how upset i get and it makes me think he just doesn't care oh my gosh i just can't believe it so what am i gonna do no i just don't know
    Great read!
    Busy monster eats dark holes in the spirit world
    Where wild things have to go
    To disappear
    Forever... - B.C.

  58. #58
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by hanjin
    You think you have a problem? I ride fixed gear, road, and mountain. Fixed gear rides HATE geared bikes, roadies HATE everyone, and MTB rides HATE the other two equally. So I'm screwed on anything I ride.
    I find myself in a similar predicament. When I'm on my fixie, I hate on my other bikes. When I'm on my roadie, I hate on the trails and stupid fixie hipsters. When I'm on my 29er, I hate on 26ers and roadies. I've found I hate myself, but my shrink is having a field day.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  59. #59
    (not that fast)
    Reputation: fastale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobretti
    Great read!
    thank you cobretti, I pee'd myself a little when I read your sig. line

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23
    I passed a MTBer while commuting to work on my road bike today. I passed too fast to say anything. I glanced at him, he didn't even know I was there. I kept riding.

    Yesterday, I passed a MTBer while commuting to work on my MTB. I said Hi because I wasn't passing too fast.

    Maybe you're right.

  61. #61
    wanna dance?
    Reputation: HotBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,073
    While sprinting to work on my MTB this morning, I overtook someone riding a roadie bikie in full kit. He said GMornin. I said GMornin. We rode side by side for a few seconds, and I turned off.

    I really think there was a connection there. It was very special. Almost... magical.

    And I just had to write about it on an internet forum.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    579
    There is nothing more satisfying while commuting my 36 lb Moment, than passing a roadie, saying Hi and moving on.

  63. #63
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    I really think there was a connection there. It was very special. Almost... magical.
    Did you get a number? I'd wait three days to call.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,912

    Wow!

    Finally something that has not be discussed before.

    PS: Pickup drivers are all drunken rednecks too.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,912

    Real definition of "Fred"

    A "Fred" is a person who actually calls or refers to someone else as a "Fred."

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,912

    They don't wear "Spandex"

    They wear lycra. John Travolta wore spandex in Saturday Night Fever. Please get your terms correct if you must use them.

  67. #67
    HTFU and Ride
    Reputation: coachjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,216
    i have been race faced and done the same.

    sometimes i don't feel like saying hi when i go by people, on the trail, road, rail-trail, whatever.

    ride more, complain less
    Winter is coming.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    681
    Well, boo-the-****-hoo.

  69. #69

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    115
    lycra is a brand name for spandex...

  70. #70

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    226

    QQ more

    So nobody wants to say "hi" to you as you pass them. Awwww.

    When you're driving do you wave at everyone you pass?

    Just because you have cycling in common with someone it doesn't mean d!ck. The hell if you're also on a bike. Big effing deal.

    I don't ride to be social with every idiot with a sh!t eating grin on his/her face just because they bike ride too. Why should I bother to say hello to anyone when on the bike? It's just like driving an automobile. Stay right if slow and pass on the left and go about your way.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    327
    Well for the most part from experiences so far road bikers have been jerks.sure there are a few nice ones but after talking with them they are usually the ones that are mtb riders first and roadies second.

    i will admit i am new to riding a road bike and dont know all the rules but peaple need to be a little more curtious when letting you know what you did wrong and not act like a 12 year old girl!!

    i know when i am riding i will go out of my way to help someone,its just the right thing to do.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

  72. #72
    wanna dance?
    Reputation: HotBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,073
    "98 % of all teens do drugs or have tried drugs if you are in the 2 % range copy and paste this in to your Signature"

    I have got to say, this is the funniest thing I have ever seen anyone paste in a signature line.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    110
    IT HAPPENED AGAIN!! I was in my car and said hi to a roadie and he didn't even acknowldge me! Should I have rolled the window down?

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    579
    Time to start beatin' the horse again. I took my 5 year old son out on the American River Bike trial this last Saturday. It was his first time on the bike trail and he had a great time. We rode from Beals Point down to where they are building the new bridge across the American River, and then back. We were passed by many bikers, both mountain & roadies, but it was only the road riders that had anything to say. Three different riders in fact yelled out words of encouragement to my son as they passed yet not a word from my fellow mountain bikers. Several roadies rang their bells as they passed, called out 'on your left' as they passed, but would you believe that not a peep from a single rider on a mountain bike. Thanks to everyone who will take the time to encourage the young ones, I personally could care less whether anyone says hi to me or not.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpick915's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by hanjin
    You think you have a problem? I ride fixed gear, road, and mountain. Fixed gear rides HATE geared bikes, roadies HATE everyone, and MTB rides HATE the other two equally. So I'm screwed on anything I ride.
    +1...It sucks being me. I will now go into the corner and sulk.
    All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best...William of Ockham

  76. #76

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanbkr
    so this morning i went out for a short ride on my normal route that i do everyday, and by the way this will be short because i hate telling long stories, so it starts raining when i am there so i just deal with it and bike home the way i always go. And when i was biking a roadie came up behind me and passed me didn't say hi or even acknowlege me which really got me annoyed because everyone i see on the trail or on the road you always wave or say goodmorning or something but he just blew by me and soon was way infront of me. so sorry for my little roadie rant.
    So f*cking what, you mewling little twerp? What makes you think you deserve anybody to acknowledge your presence on this earth in any way, shape or form?

  77. #77
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,577
    Roadies don't say hi

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    so this morning i went out for a short ride on my normal route that i do everyday, and by the way this will be short because i hate telling long stories, so it starts raining when i am there so i just deal with it and bike home the way i always go. And when i was biking a roadie came up behind me and passed me didn't say hi or even acknowlege me which really got me annoyed because everyone i see on the trail or on the road you always wave or say goodmorning or something but he just blew by me and soon was way infront of me. so sorry for my little roadie rant.
    Little known fact: Roadies can pick up on people who don't use proper grammar and pronunciation for Internet posts and snub accordingly.

  78. #78
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,881
    .......yawn.............

  79. #79
    rides with camera
    Reputation: sherijumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    894
    I feel I wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this .. ugh I have to go riding now !!!
    Fu(k cancer

    thelonebiker.com

  80. #80
    Built4Speed
    Reputation: vintagemtbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    342
    I only wave to $40 hookers on unicycles. They deserve a wave.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vintagemtbr; 07-01-2008 at 03:27 AM.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

  81. #81
    Built4Speed
    Reputation: vintagemtbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    If it was just your girlfriend in my passenger set, would you still wave?

    OP: I say hi to everyone, and really don't care if they say "hi" back, because deep down inside, I really hate everyone. I'm just polite about it, that's all.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha(cough )hahahahaha!!!
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

  82. #82
    Built4Speed
    Reputation: vintagemtbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by hanjin
    You think you have a problem? I ride fixed gear, road, and mountain. Fixed gear rides HATE geared bikes, roadies HATE everyone, and MTB rides HATE the other two equally. So I'm screwed on anything I ride.
    Same here.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chase2wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    255
    I was on my road bike and passed a guy on a really nice Blur LT on the paved trail. Neither one of us were going very fast. I said "passing on your left" and then said, "Hey...nice bike." A few moments later he speeds up to me and says in a very authoritative tone "You know you should be wearing a helmet!" I look at him with a long pause...

    "thanks Dad...just ride your bike". Note we both were at least 40 years old.

    PS. If I waved or said hi to everyone I saw on a trail, I would spend half my time (slight exageration) doing it.

  84. #84
    Card-carrying wotmeister
    Reputation: rabidweasel999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    853
    It's people like him who shouldn't have nice bikes.

    Now, I do have to wear a helmet, but if you're an adult and you're ordering a complete stranger around, you've got a problem.

  85. #85
    don't thread on me
    Reputation: Roswell52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustWest
    Roadies not saying hi does not bother me. What does annoy me is posts like yours.

    For example : so i have a little rant to tell everyone about how bothered i get when roadies don't say hi to me so here it goes watch me now as i continue my little rant with no thought whatsoever to the use of periods and commas which i learned about many many many years ago but have always just disregarded their use because i like to write in a way where others have a very difficult time understanding what i am saying because i am too lazy to bother to use some very basic grammatical skills i know it is lame but i just dont have time i mean like i have time to post a rant about a roadie who didnt wave but i just cant seem to find any time to strategically throw in some commas and periods besides it is more fun to me to just follow my stream of consciousness and go on and on and on than it is to take a few extra seconds to format my post in a way where others can read it and comprehend my message i mean like wow oh my gosh but back on topic now can you believe he didn't wave i can't did i mention it started raining because i thought i should mention the rain even though it had nothing whatsoever to do with my point and even though i mentioned that i hate long stories i just thought i would make it longer by mentioning the rain i mean really now everyone likes the weather so why not mention the weather but really now i mean really now why didn't he at least nod he has to know how upset i get and it makes me think he just doesn't care oh my gosh i just can't believe it so what am i gonna do no i just don't know
    This thread made me lose all my Passion, and this post made it all come back.
    sign here ________________________

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,541
    They don't wave because they know they're worth 2 points out there.


  87. #87

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    115
    how can you wave when you're holding onto the handlebars?

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3
    I was going 20mph on a single track... saw some old folks hiking towards me along the single track. I took my eyes off the trail, smiled, looked at them and said 'Hi'.

    That slight lost of concentration made me veered off the trail... and I almost wiped out in the most spectacular fashion in a cloud of dust.

    I have became an a-hole since. I'll only mutter 'hello' 'excuse me' when I encounter homos on the trails and I'll never take my eyes off the trail.

  89. #89
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8,461

    Good job!

    Choices:

    I wave to everyone! Cars, Bikes, Motorcycles, Quads, Deer, Rabbits, You!

    Sometimes you don't know if that person is concetrating or just in their own element. Who cares! Your riding aren't you so live it up!

    I ride my Dual Spost Suzuki and I wave at Harley guys. What the heck they ride something so it's all GOOD!

    It's all about wheels!

  90. #90
    here today
    Reputation: zenmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,926
    old fart cyclist

  91. #91
    Alien Surf Team
    Reputation: Razorfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,168
    They don't say hi because I just kicked them in the nuts.

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: notrelatedtoted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    721
    I'd hit it.

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: notrelatedtoted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    721
    Those roadies. I bet they're all gay.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RSW42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,164
    Comparing (Hardcore) Roadies and MTBrs is like comparing Caddyshack characters...

    The Roadies are like Judge Smales...good golfer, but a snob...








    Where the MTBrs are more like Ty Webb...hell of a golfer, and good, funny dude who is more fun to hang around with...




    Seriously though...Not all Roadies have a carbon frame pump up their mud pipe...I know some solid roadies.


    R




    .

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,892
    Oh wait a minute....I think he mountain bikes these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.