Roadies?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Roadies?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Roadies?

So I am out on my lunch ride (really before work, but who does that piss off?) and coming up a little hill at the end of my ride. I see a roadie coasting down.... I am on my cross bike and a little muddy, I rode out on pavement and back on a rails to trail path, so I wave and get NADA, not even a damn head bob.... WTF, it's 30 degrees, 2 cyclists pass, and he can't wave?

No wonder cars hate cyclists....

Jay

mtbr member
    I say hello to every hiker I encounter, and about 80% respond favorably. I give the low key hand wave to all cyclists I pas on the road (on the way to the trails), and about the same % percentage respond. I raise my hand and mouth "thanks" to every car that (has to) waits for me to clear an intersection. I am certain I have failed to acknowledge other's similar pleasantries in the past

Just go on and be a good ambassador and realize that there are angry, pissed off, and self absorbed people everywhere doing everything.

Pedaler of dirt
    I think the last time another cyclist waved at me I punched 'em in the throat. Fecking nice people, jees! I need a sign for the front of my helmet that read,' Just because we share a common sport and possibly other interests and it's a nice day and that people in general should be pleasant to each other doesn't mean I have to return your fecking wave.' It'll be in small print to give me time while a 'nice' person is reading it to punch 'em in the throat.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    i think it maybe lack of skill. Bike handling comes last on most roadie lists of things to get. Hard to let go of your bars to wave or say "hello" when you're first priorities are speed, avg speed, trip distance, tot distance, hr, avg hr, watts output, cadence and to top it off your sac feels like it's in a vice. (you know who they are). haha. I usually say hi or wave but sometimes i'm afraid to startle them. 18-25mm isn't much to cover their reaction time!

Sep 2009
    Dude you live in New York and your surprised someone was a dick to you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was in my truck returning from a mtb ride yesterday and gave a roadie a peace sign, he returned a wave. Only problem? I wanted a peace sign returned. So I ran him the fark over.

David B.

bi-winning
    Don't worry about it. Seriously.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikefj
    So I am out on my lunch ride (really before work, but who does that piss off?) and coming up a little hill at the end of my ride. I see a roadie coasting down.... I am on my cross bike and a little muddy, I rode out on pavement and back on a rails to trail path, so I wave and get NADA, not even a damn head bob.... WTF, it's 30 degrees, 2 cyclists pass, and he can't wave?

Jay
    Roadies will be more self absorbed (or more stuck up, take your pick) than your average bike rider. Sad, but true. On the other hand, you were riding a cyclocross bike? You freak!!!
    Just kidding! Cyclocross looks like a lot of fun. Do you conmute a lot in the winter time?
    Back on topic: Don't let it get to you. Forget the jerk and just enjoy the ride.

Lets RIDE!
    here we go again.
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member

Recumbents!

To Hell with your gripe about roadies. Roadies are Mother Theresa compared to the snobs on recumbents............

Coors, the american beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedmetal
    Roadies will be more self absorbed (or more stuck up, take your pick) than your average bike rider. Sad, but true. On the other hand, you were riding a cyclocross bike? You freak!!!
    Just kidding! Cyclocross looks like a lot of fun. Do you conmute a lot in the winter time?
    Back on topic: Don't let it get to you. Forget the jerk and just enjoy the ride.
    x2 couldnt have been put better
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    Ah cyclocross the pre-op transsexual of the biking world, you just scare or confuse 95% of the population that's why they didn't wave at you

mtbr member
    i saw, who i thought was mother theresa get doored on her recumbent once! she was bent!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Oh golly, I was having such a fun ride/day until a stranger didn't say hello. Woe is me. Time for some Xanax.

mtbr member
    lol at this thread

should've turned around and put your pump through his spokes.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by marzjennings
    I think the last time another cyclist waved at me I punched 'em in the throat. Fecking nice people, jees! I need a sign for the front of my helmet that read,' Just because we share a common sport and possibly other interests and it's a nice day and that people in general should be pleasant to each other doesn't mean I have to return your fecking wave.' It'll be in small print to give me time while a 'nice' person is reading it to punch 'em in the throat.
    "Come with uncle, and hear all proper. Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited."

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=575665

Bunny Hugger
    Goodness. There's so much hostility amongst supposedly more mellow mountain bikers.

If your day was ruined because he didn't respond to your acknowledgement, then you ruined your own day, not he.

Or you could think about a great ride on a beautiful day and smile.
    Hug the Bunny

Rocket Boy
    Dude, that's just how it goes. I ride a lot of road and I usually wave. I get return waves about 60-70% of the time. Some people just don't wave. I don't sweat it.

Don't sweat the petty stuff, just pet the sweaty stuff

Arby

the train keeps rollin
    Doesn't this belong in the beatching and whining forum?
    beaver hunt

too cold to ride
    Rarely if ever do hikers, runners, dog walkers, and other mbtrs not wave back to me (or head nod, as the case may be).

I quit wasting the effort with cyclists, and it's like a shock if one initiates a wave w/me.

The only people I personally ignore are yuppies w/coffee cups and people with jog strollers. Both of these groups can usually be discerned in advance by the North Face tops and Ugg boots they're wearing.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSharks
    The only people I personally ignore are yuppies w/coffee cups and people with jog strollers.
    Translation: You ignore roadies when they aren't riding.
    This roadie snob thing has to stop. The guys that are b!tching are the narrow minded guys, not the roadies. All my friends that ride, ride both road and mtb. When the weather turns like now, we are all on the trail out of the wind. Its ignorant to discriminate against fellow cyclists. I like both road and trail and wouldn't want to choose between either one. Some guys wave on the road and some guys don't, full kit or not. The way it is and btw some of the guys that don't wave aren't stiffs or snobs, they are just adjusting their ipods which is another rant among cylists. I ride with music.

mtbr member
    Try giving a dude on a big 'ol hog the "Harley wave" when you are on your bike. They get a kick out of it.

BMX:Our Shining Future

I've decided to become a roadie

Hoping it will make me a better mountain bike rider

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Z in VT
    here we go again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roadies?-arch19.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    opps sorry to start a war, it didn't ruin my day, I was just more surprised since I felt two cyclists out in below freezing weather couldn't share a moment of brotherhood.

Again sorry to start an anti-roadie thread.... I will go back to lurk mode!

Jay

mtbr member
    If i knew the person i would be like hey man whats you problem, but if its a perfect stranger who gives a f#ck!

I mean really do you wave at people that are pumping gas when you are?

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittzer
    Try giving a dude on a big 'ol hog the "Harley wave" when you are on your bike. They get a kick out of it.
    LOL If I rode the road I'd definitely do that.

mtbr member
    Yeah, and what's the deal with airline food?

the test dummy
    i always draft roadies on my mountain bike in the summer. they seem to always get mad and try to out run me and then i just pass then riding know hands and smile back. but this is on the cape cod rail trail were every road biker is a fat guy that worries to much about the weight of his bike, when in reality if he lost about 50 pounds he would not have to worry about it. but it is fun to draft the roadies.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Chronic 1st-timer
    I used to worry about being ignored by roadies, but now I just flip 'em off.
    The majority acknowledge me in kind.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    I never realized mtb-ers were such a hostile bunch. What a bunch of old cranks. Jeez.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    I just wanted to be a part of this awesome thread. I am a wanna be roadie, I'm saving up for a frame to build.

Coors, the american beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    i always draft roadies on my mountain bike in the summer. they seem to always get mad and try to out run me and then i just pass then riding know hands and smile back. but this is on the cape cod rail trail were every road biker is a fat guy that worries to much about the weight of his bike, when in reality if he lost about 50 pounds he would not have to worry about it. but it is fun to draft the roadies.
    haha a couple of us did something similar during the arizona spring fling of 2006, were out on the highway coming back from milagrosa mountain and managed to draft some roadies for at least a mile or so .... on 45 lb DH BIKES!!! ..... eventually we got tired and went back to fooling around and hitting the berms on the side of the road
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    GET over it geez

mtbr member
    theres only one rule to road riding! DONT WAVE!

you're more than likely blacklisted from your local road biking shops for waving.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O
    Yeah, and what's the deal with airline food?
    Smooth segway...

Thread Killer
    i saw a guy on a MTB while i was biking...i waved, he didn't

mountain bikers are such pricks.
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    haha a couple of us did something similar during the arizona spring fling of 2006, were out on the highway coming back from milagrosa mountain and managed to draft some roadies for at least a mile or so .... on 45 lb DH BIKES!!! ..... eventually we got tired and went back to fooling around and hitting the berms on the side of the road
    nice
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Perhaps he was blind or he didn't like the brand of your bike

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikefj

Jay

mtbr member
    Just as many mt bikers will not wave or acknowlege you as do roadies.

Roadies are a different breed, ever viewed the movie Klunkers. Klunkers is a documentaray film about the origin of mt. bikes and the mt. bike culter. Roadies came from the Elitest European road racing culter as opposed to Gary fisher, a former elite road racer who started riding down the Hills in Northern California with bunch of pot smoking counter culter off road enthusiast.

Road bikes take high speed endurance, high speed handling and pack riding skills and a good pro tour road bike will accelerate to full speed within about three pedal strokes my steely will take about 6 strokes. Mt. biking is more challenging, requires more riding skills, and is to me more fun. I enjoy both!! but I tend to ride my mt. bike more!

mtbr member
    Roadies piss me off... because I can't afford a road bike.

mtbr member
    raced road thru my 20s and early 30s but came back to my roots (bmx/moto,mtb) of dirt because for me it reminds me of how much fun it is. Don't even own a road bike anymore. glad i was able to grow up to be a kid again. it is truly a different mindset for me. My roadie friends cannot figure out how I can ride in t-shirts, cargo shorts and Vans on flats. It's Assos or nothing for them. haha.

been on both sides of this fence and the upaved side will always be a better time for me

I Am

A mtb'er, a roadie, a swimmer, runner, weight lifter, triathlete, ironman, xterra'er, father, husband, son...

I'am an athlete!

And I nod sometimes, not always b/c sometimes I'm busy doing other stuff.

But I am NOT a crybaby if people don't say hi to me.

semper ad excelsum

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I vote that all cyclists road, mountain, Bmx, old lady on a cruiser, whatever vow not to wave to one another. That way, uber sensitive crybabies will stop posting this same f**king thread.

mtbr member
    crybabies or not it's harmless. b**ch at a post or post about a b**ch. it's not gonna drive anyone to a bell tower with a rifle will it? it's entertainment during the work day.

mtbr member
    " I Am A mtb'er, a roadie, a swimmer, runner, weight lifter, triathlete, ironman, xterra'er...."

There's another bunch I can't stand - swimmers! None of those arrogant bastards ever waves back to me when I'm swimming. Same thing with poker players, sky divers, bull riders, jugglers, patty cakers, gymnists, and nude arm wrestlers.

mtbr member
    how about illinois nazis? blind electricians? non-swimmers who play water polo (they always block the filters!!)? triathletes who leave their markered #s on their arms and legs?

MC Hammer
    roadies don't wave, it's kinda their thing........one of the many traditions that no one can really explain (like shaved legs)

if you peek over on the rbr forum, you'll see that they actually get a kick out of mountain biker's reactions to this percieved snob (someone starts a thread like this once a week other there)...btw, newbie roadies also get their feelings hurt by this

I rode with a road team for 2 years and would wave back to anyone who waved at me, but I never initiated a wave since I knew better...most times I didn't even look over when I spotted another roadie coming the opposite direction (unless it was a female) so I might have snobbed a few people myself

meh, I have to admit it would make me smile inside a bit......

I've since sold my road bike and gone back to riding dirt exclusively and I can tell you that I don't wave to everyone I see on the trail.........maybe a head nod if they make eye contact, but I'm not taking my hands off the bars to make you feel validated in your decision to buy a mountain bike!

SocialClimber
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbox
    Smooth segway...
    Those guys on Segways are total d!cks! They never wave.
    "When you're asked to fight a war that's over nothing, it's best to join the side that's gonna' win."

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Isn't it equally arrogant to want to compel someone to take an action (i.e., wave) in response to your action? Isn't that what British Royalty required of their subjects?

In my view, the roadie in this case was a true American and exercised his freedom not to bend to the delicate whims of a MTB/cross biker -- good for the roadie!

Seriously, aren't there times you are feeling particularly anti-social and don't feel like engaging in customary waving, winking, "say no more, say no more", back slapping, etc etc?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I ride a road bike, but I'm not a roadie.

mtbr member
    If just ONE MORE mountain biker waves at me, I'm going to totally go ballistic! I'll poop in my shorts and fling it at 'em!

Just back off!!! I'm sick of this. Don't you people have anything better to do than wave at strangers?

A Roadie

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Dizzy
    If just ONE MORE mountain biker waves at me, I'm going to totally go ballistic! I'll poop in my shorts and fling it at 'em!

Just back off!!! I'm sick of this. Don't you people have anything better to do than wave at strangers?

A Roadie
    no we dont
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Roadies don't wave so that whiny mountain bikers will get on the internet and whine about it.

Wiseass in real life too!
    Just do what I do. Flip the bird to every cyclist you see. If they are hipsters they get the joke and everyone else can go screw!

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love riding my road bike(s). However, I've noticed why roadies don't wave.

Roadie facial expressions while riding >

MTB'er facial expressions while riding >

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what does being a roadie have to do with this. And FWIW in my world CX riders are just a slightly more butch roadie.

mtbr member
    roadies even joke about not waving.. you just dont. its bad etiquette to ride by someone with a broken bike and see if they need help, but you still dont wave at them either

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If one more person doen't wave back to me when I wave at them, I'm going to reach into my baggy shorts, pull out my gun and start shooting!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Some of you really need to grow up. You are really going to get worked up over someone not waving back to you on the street?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Why do you even care. Heck when I am riding I am doing to get away from people. I am not out there to all buddy buddy and trying to make friends.

Ever think they are not paying attention to you? Maybe they did see you and they just don't like the way you look. No reason to get pissed until they start trying to run you off the road/trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0