Road ride turned trail ride turned mechanical turned Improvisation- Mtbr.com
    GCM
    mtbr member

Road ride turned trail ride turned mechanical turned Improvisation

So I decided to go our for a road ride tonight. I pumped up the 2.1's to 45 lbs, hit the lockout on the TALUS and the Float, through a water bottle in the pouch of my shirt (who needs a 10lb hydropack on road ride?) and set out the driveway. 30 minutes into the ride, I was board as hell and needed some dirt so I altered my route to get to the closest trail head - another 30 minutes of pavement. Ahh the smell of woods, dirt and mud - road ride - what the heck was I thinking? After all I don't eve have a road bike...

So after another 30 minutes of climbing, I'm just riding along and all of a sudden a hear this rubbing noise down by the chain. Thinking its the tube I've got wrapped around the chainstay coming undone I stop to see what's up. Well the tube's not coming off so what's going on? I lift up the bike and give the rear wheel a good spin - no rubbing sound - everything seems fine - must have been my imagination. So I hop back on and take half a pedal rotation and there it is again. WTF!. I get off again and go through the same exercise but this time I put some weight on the saddle to compress the shock - doh - there it is - the bolt/bushing on the chainstay pivot, where it connects with the drop-out is just plain missing, gone, when to Albuquerque without me! Well that explains it-missing bolt/bushing and the whole rear end is all loosy-goosy and pretty much un-ridable. Sh!t all my spare parts, various nuts and bolt, zipties, electrical tape... (hence the 10lb hydropack), are in the hydropack (who needs a 10lb hydropack on a road ride?) So a find a small stick, about a 1/2 inch in diameter and jam that sucker through the pivot hole (the second stick I tried was perfect - just oversized enough that it held itself in place - sometimes friction is a good thing). I flicked the lockout back on to prevent and suspension movement and hobbled out - I was high on a hill so I could coast often, which was good because when I pedaled, the whole rear-end flexed like twizler - not a reassuring feeling. In any case, all's well that ends well. I was out of the woods and back home with no problems - about 5 miles with wooded bolt.
    88 Keys and only 10 fingers....

E !

Cool-blue Rhythm Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by GCM
    So I decided to go our for a road ride tonight. I pumped up the 2.1's to 45 lbs, hit the lockout on the TALUS and the Float, through a water bottle in the pouch of my shirt (who needs a 10lb hydropack on road ride?) and set out the driveway. 30 minutes into the ride, I was board as hell and needed some dirt so I altered my route to get to the closest trail head - another 30 minutes of pavement. Ahh the smell of woods, dirt and mud - road ride - what the heck was I thinking? After all I don't eve have a road bike...

So after another 30 minutes of climbing, I'm just riding along and all of a sudden a hear this rubbing noise down by the chain. Thinking its the tube I've got wrapped around the chainstay coming undone I stop to see what's up. Well the tube's not coming off so what's going on? I lift up the bike and give the rear wheel a good spin - no rubbing sound - everything seems fine - must have been my imagination. So I hop back on and take half a pedal rotation and there it is again. WTF!. I get off again and go through the same exercise but this time I put some weight on the saddle to compress the shock - doh - there it is - the bolt/bushing on the chainstay pivot, where it connects with the drop-out is just plain missing, gone, when to Albuquerque without me! Well that explains it-missing bolt/bushing and the whole rear end is all loosy-goosy and pretty much un-ridable. Sh!t all my spare parts, various nuts and bolt, zipties, electrical tape... (hence the 10lb hydropack), are in the hydropack (who needs a 10lb hydropack on a road ride?) So a find a small stick, about a 1/2 inch in diameter and jam that sucker through the pivot hole (the second stick I tried was perfect - just oversized enough that it held itself in place - sometimes friction is a good thing). I flicked the lockout back on to prevent and suspension movement and hobbled out - I was high on a hill so I could coast often, which was good because when I pedaled, the whole rear-end flexed like twizler - not a reassuring feeling. In any case, all's well that ends well. I was out of the woods and back home with no problems - about 5 miles with wooded bolt.
    That should be an omen to keep your bike in the dirt! (he,he)
    the - E - dog

GCM
    mtbr member
    Usually an occasional road ride is not bad, however, this time I was just too board. Hey, I figure any saddle time is good time though.

Now I've got to figure out if I've got the right bolt/bushing is my spare-parts kit or if I have to order one - and wait and lose ride time - Argh.
    88 Keys and only 10 fingers....