Results 1 to 76 of 76
  1. #1
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62

    road ride to mtn ride.

    My new shuttle rig.

    Cap forest is about 23 miles from my place. I loaded up the bike and hit the road. My apologies for the bad pics.

    The ride there was excellent. The first 20 miles is either bike lane or wide shoulder. The last 3 I have to share with cars, but people give a wide berth to those they think might have loose screws.

    Scenes along the way.








    A couple of reasons for the bike shuttle





    I arrived at Cap forest feeling really good. The trails were fairly dry and there was no place I felt really safe leaving my bike, so I just rode the whole thing up the trail until I found a place to stash it.

    Couple of NY Kryptonite locks to secure.



    Cap forest was as awesome as always. No pics though because there was riding to be done.

    Loaded up and headed back.




    Cap forest mud.




    The ride home was nice too- a little rougher since I now had a headwind the entire way, but riding bikes is good in any situation?


  2. #2
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Almost home. Self portrait




    Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 miles of bike riding done, the rest of the afternoon was spent in the backyard


  3. #3
    Old man on a bike
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,383
    Nice rig, cool self portraits. So you rode 46 miles of road for 4 miles of trail?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seosamh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    329
    that's insane, would it not just be better to have a triple ring up front on your DS and take some tyres and tubes and swap them out once you got to trails, rather than the weight of 2 bikes and your rig?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattbryant2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,164
    Awesome.

  6. #6
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    pretty neat, but i would be much more likely to just ride there with the knobby tired bike. would probably be about the same effort. but, if i had an extracycle/big dummy, i would probably look for any excuse to use it as well...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    187

    Atta boy

    Yes, yes, yes! Totally cool. Great head space. Well done. This is NOT about efficiency or practicality, this is about style. You nailed it!

  8. #8
    percocet pioneer.
    Reputation: $ally Hu$tle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    931
    what's with the truck-less sector 9 board?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seosamh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Bula
    Yes, yes, yes! Totally cool. Great head space. Well done. This is NOT about efficiency or practicality, this is about style. You nailed it!
    fair do's, i still think it's mental tho!

  10. #10
    Bad Andy
    Reputation: andychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    877
    Hmmmmm gonna have to go with the - "that's really cool, but wouldn't it be easier to just ride the knobby tired bike the whole way?" - response!
    Cool anyhow!

  11. #11
    Alien Surf Team
    Reputation: Razorfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,168
    Awesome.

    5150

  12. #12
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    what's with the truck-less sector 9 board?
    Its part of the design of the xtracycle. They just use a deck with snaps, I thought it would be cool to be able to haul our longboards to hills. I took the wheels and trucks off that one, because it would be something easily stolen when the bike was parked.

    Here's a couple shots of our longboards attached to our bikes.

    Hers






    Mine






    Boards just pop right off.




    As to why I don't just ride the specialized to the trail -
    It's a combination of the fact that riding a full susp soft tire bike 23 miles on pavement is not fun at all, pavement eats those soft tires very quickly and wanting to give all those cars on the road something to think about on their morning drive..


    The constant reactions that I got kept me grining the entire way there and back

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seosamh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by derek2


    As to why I don't just ride the specialized to the trail -
    It's a combination of the fact that riding a full susp soft tire bike 23 miles on pavement is not fun at all, pavement eats those soft tires very quickly and wanting to give all those cars on the road something to think about on their morning drive..


    The constant reactions that I got kept me grining the entire way there and back
    why not just do what i said then and take 2 set of tyres ? tho i suspect the reaction you get is part of the appeal!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    820
    Yup...you're certifiable, alright. Really, rilly like your style! You're the wave of the future!

  15. #15
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by seosamh
    why not just do what i said then and take 2 set of tyres ? tho i suspect the reaction you get is part of the appeal!
    There's still the issue of riding dual susp on the road. Bob=no fun at all Plus, I'd have to
    spend at least 15 minutes swapping tyres, pumping up tyres and I'd have to carry a backpack with all the gear -sweaty back!
    The system in place right now takes about 10 seconds to load, 5 seconds to unload - an extra minute to lock the bike to a tree and I'm off- and nothing on my back! This system can't be beat

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seosamh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    There's still the issue of riding dual susp on the road. Bob=no fun at all Plus, I'd have to
    spend at least 15 minutes swapping tyres, pumping up tyres and I'd have to carry a backpack with all the gear -sweaty back!
    The system in place right now takes about 10 seconds to load, 5 seconds to unload - an extra minute to lock the bike to a tree and I'm off- and nothing on my back! This system can't be beat
    i'll take your word for it, but more power to you! i did a similar run the other week to a hill i wanted to try, was only about 24m round trip tho, 16m road, 8m to the top and back i just did it in the knobbies, mind you i've only got a ht so no bobbing issues. was worth it, dh was tremendous, rocky walkers paths rule!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dagenhay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    444
    At first I thought much like others - why not ride to the trail on the same bike. The more you explained it the more I liked it.

    I drive to a trailhead 2 miles away because I ride with my dog, don't want to tare up his paws on the pavement. I have considered strapping his crate to my burley trailer but it won't attached to my Santa Cruz Nomad without an adaptor, that I am not willing to put on my Nomad. But if I attached the burley to my no suspension Breezer Thunder and mount the crate and Nomad to that, I can then ride to the trailhead.

    So any close-up shots of the bike mounting. Wouldn't some aluminum L-brackets be lighter than 2X4's? The rack on the back, is that custom made or manufactured?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,038
    I think the fun is in figuring out how to get the MTB on the Xtracycle. Cool set up!
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

  19. #19
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117
    I thought this post as sarcasm for the shuttle folks.

    ...since how do you retrieve your shuttle bike when you are done? You still have to ride the whole loop.

    Kitschy novelty is fun though.

  20. #20
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by dagenhay
    At first I thought much like others - why not ride to the trail on the same bike. The more you explained it the more I liked it.

    I drive to a trailhead 2 miles away because I ride with my dog, don't want to tare up his paws on the pavement. I have considered strapping his crate to my burley trailer but it won't attached to my Santa Cruz Nomad without an adaptor, that I am not willing to put on my Nomad. But if I attached the burley to my no suspension Breezer Thunder and mount the crate and Nomad to that, I can then ride to the trailhead.

    So any close-up shots of the bike mounting. Wouldn't some aluminum L-brackets be lighter than 2X4's? The rack on the back, is that custom made or manufactured?
    Yeah it would probably be lighter, but more expensive, as I built it out of stuff I had lying around.

    The rack on the back is made by xtracycle

    I have an old blog post, showing closeups, descriptions etc. here

    http://www.bikerubbish.com/bikey/index.php?itemid=234

  21. #21
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,854
    love it

  22. #22
    TLL
    TLL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,060
    You sir, are the McGuyver of mountain biking. Good work!

    Those Xtracycles are pretty cool too, remind me a little of Surly's Big Dummy.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    I do the road mtn thing

    I got a Fox X front shock and an RP23 on the rear for zero bob.

    I pump up the tires 2.3 inch conti verticals and go...

    Usually don't bother to reduce pressure at the trail head.

    I got so I can draft about the slower 2/3 of the roadies.

    I also put bar ends on in the middle of the bars to get a better stretched road position.

    Anywhwere from 30 to 60 km one way to the trails.

  24. #24
    Viva Las Peli Taco
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    251
    I freak'n love it! I think I will mount a quick release to the rack of the commuter, and just tow the bike like a "B.O.B. trailer". I guess I can strap the front tire to the frame with velcro straps.



    Although I ride to the closest trail (5 miles each way), I felt guilty (even before the gas price blew up) driving to the trails that are further away to get my exercise. I agree that pavement chews through tires! Plus, it takes much more effort with my tires at 25 & 30#'s front and rear. Changing the tires on at the trail head is not a practical option since I run tubless with stan's.

    If the the only contact with the pavement is an unweighted rear tire, I figure that the rolling resistance and tire wear would be minimized. My only concern is will it damage the free wheel? Or, I could put the front tire in the back for the commute and strap the rear tire to the frame... just thinking "out loud".
    Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 05-26-2008 at 09:58 AM.

  25. #25
    A Superhero Named Tony
    Reputation: McLovin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    164
    You are my hero...

  26. #26
    breathing helium
    Reputation: cocheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,094
    I like it! Well done! I especially like the pic with the gas sign.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    685
    I really wanted to see some photos of people's reaction to a bike hauling a bike.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    There's still the issue of riding dual susp on the road. Bob=no fun at all


    Lock-out shocks and forks are available.

    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    Plus, I'd have to
    spend at least 15 minutes swapping tyres, pumping up tyres and I'd have to carry a backpack with all the gear -sweaty back!


    Carry a wheel set, not a whole bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    The system in place right now takes about 10 seconds to load, 5 seconds to unload - an extra minute to lock the bike to a tree and I'm off- and nothing on my back! This system can't be beat
    If you want to really prove something, then why don't you ride the trails with the
    road bike strapped to the MTB?

    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,865
    Nice work - you'll get it all more and more dialed in, and get mighty fit with 'shuttle' trips like that! My buddy adapted the rack on his NMW motorcycle to carry a bike on the back - figured it was just a matter of time until we saw this.

    Question - is it weird having such an eccentrically loaded ride? I'd think you'd be compensating a bit, but may be wrong. I know when my little dude outgrows his chariot trailer, that thing will be traded in for a BOB trailer for hauling trailwork tools - and perhaps other stuff too. Would it make any sense to rig up a trail-a-bike style set-up? Bungee the front wheel somewhere, and mount the forks off the back of your commuter/transport rig and go.

    Seriously though - this is fun stuff!

    FWIW - I, like others - ride my 'efficient' FS bike anywhere from 2-40 miles 'on-road' for the 8-40 miles off-road by locking out the shocks, but that's because I'm WAY more lazy than you!

    g
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dagenhay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    I know when my little dude outgrows his chariot trailer, that thing will be traded in for a BOB trailer for hauling trailwork tools - and perhaps other stuff too. Would it make any sense to rig up a trail-a-bike style set-up? Bungee the front wheel somewhere, and mount the forks off the back of your commuter/transport rig and go.
    Absolutely give it a try. I modified my burley for one daughter's bike while the other road in the trailer. Put racks on it to carry my surfboard and the daughter's boggy boards. I have since modified it to trail two bikes and plan to mount my dog's crate on it and after seeing this thread will mount my Nomad on it.

    One word of CAUTION: If you try a trailer setup like this for your little dude, the pivot point of his bike is the head tube which is on an angle (not straight up & down), so if you make a sharp turn the trailing bike will lay on its side. Going around a normal street corner is not a problem but sharp turns are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  31. #31
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick


    Lock-out shocks and forks are available.





    Carry a wheel set, not a whole bike.



    If you want to really prove something, then why don't you ride the trails with the
    road bike strapped to the MTB?

    Why would I spend money for lock out shocks and fork when I already have the setup I need? Carrying a wheelset on my back for 23 miles is not my idea of easier....

    I didn't buy the surly/xtracycle combo just to haul my mtn bike. I bought it a long time ago to cut back my use of a car. It does that well. I just found another use for it is all. Sorry if it offends your sensibilities

    Some folks get it, some don't. I'm ok with that

  32. #32
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Nice work - you'll get it all more and more dialed in, and get mighty fit with 'shuttle' trips like that! My buddy adapted the rack on his NMW motorcycle to carry a bike on the back - figured it was just a matter of time until we saw this.

    Question - is it weird having such an eccentrically loaded ride? I'd think you'd be compensating a bit, but may be wrong. I know when my little dude outgrows his chariot trailer, that thing will be traded in for a BOB trailer for hauling trailwork tools - and perhaps other stuff too. Would it make any sense to rig up a trail-a-bike style set-up? Bungee the front wheel somewhere, and mount the forks off the back of your commuter/transport rig and go.

    Seriously though - this is fun stuff!

    FWIW - I, like others - ride my 'efficient' FS bike anywhere from 2-40 miles 'on-road' for the 8-40 miles off-road by locking out the shocks, but that's because I'm WAY more lazy than you!

    g

    Nope, its actually pretty easy. I have some counterweight on the other side. I wouldn't even know it was back there except for the reactions of people and when I hit a hill

  33. #33
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by dagenhay
    Absolutely give it a try. I modified my burley for one daughter's bike while the other road in the trailer. Put racks on it to carry my surfboard and the daughter's boggy boards. I have since modified it to trail two bikes and plan to mount my dog's crate on it and after seeing this thread will mount my Nomad on it.

    One word of CAUTION: If you try a trailer setup like this for your little dude, the pivot point of his bike is the head tube which is on an angle (not straight up & down), so if you make a sharp turn the trailing bike will lay on its side. Going around a normal street corner is not a problem but sharp turns are.

    THat looks fun but really sketchy!! The nice thing about an xtracycle, is that it becomes part of the bike. You don't have to worrry about sharp turns, there's othing bumping or wiggling around or possibly falling off


  34. #34
    Dinner for wolves
    Reputation: buddhak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,566

    Burly kickstand

    Derek2,

    I thought your post was inspirational. Congratulations for your reduced dependence on fossil fuels. I am ready to bring the xtracycle into my life, too. A question, what kind of kickstand are you using? That's not what comes with the xtracycle kit, is it? How's it working for you when loading and unloading?

  35. #35
    The Voice of Reason
    Reputation: Megashnauzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    469
    nice! i've been thinking of this very thing using my bob trailer. 15 miles to the trail head and a 13 mile loop. i ride a ss so 15 miles of pavement would be boring.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    Why would I spend money for lock out shocks and fork when I already have the setup I need?


    Because you'd be on one bike? Because you'd spent less energy getting to the trail because
    you wouldn't be pedaling a 60+ pound bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    Carrying a wheelset on my back for 23 miles is not my idea of easier....


    Who said put them on your back?

    Why not build or buy a rack for the MTB -- a very light weight rack that's designed to
    simply carry the off-road wheel set? And when you get to the trail, lock the road wheels to
    the tree. After all, it was safe enough in your reasoning to lock not only wheels to the tree,
    but also a complete surly/xtracycle attached to those wheels.

    Pedaling a 60+ pound bike any distance is not my idea of easier.

    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    I didn't buy the surly/xtracycle combo just to haul my mtn bike. I bought it a long time ago to cut back my use of a car. It does that well. I just found another use for it is all. Sorry if it offends your sensibilities

    Some folks get it, some don't. I'm ok with that
    Whew! Thank goodness! I'm not offended. Just perplexed.

    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  37. #37
    One What?
    Reputation: FastFix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    138
    I think that is an awesome alternative to your car. I have been questioning the reasoning behind driving somewhere to ride a bike (?). I'm also starting to kick around a design to load my 10.5 ft kayak to my bike. Very inspirational post! Thanks.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JeffSpicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    137
    I too believe that your very inspirational to the biking community! Also, sweet pics of your ride next to gas prices!

  39. #39
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,362
    I'm all for riding bikes in practical ways, but your setup looks like a solution in dire need of a problem.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  40. #40
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    This ranks way high on one of the strangest conversations I have ever read.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nagatahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    I'm all for riding bikes in practical ways, but your setup looks like a solution in dire need of a problem.
    That's funny! but also there is a lot of truth to it. Props to derek, 23 miles with a load on a another heavy bike! I guess youth has it's advantages. I'm tired after a 25 mile ride on my road bike. but that is usually because I start off slow 15 mph and some hot shot, comes along at 20 mph then looks back for my response. then we're at war for the next 10 miles. sprinting and and climbing/ sprinting. I feel my asthma already.

    I wish I was closer to my closest trail head. I used to be able to ride the 3 miles on the pavement then go off road. But I moved closer to work but further from the trail.

  42. #42
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk
    That's funny! but also there is a lot of truth to it. Props to derek, 23 miles with a load on a another heavy bike! I guess youth has it's advantages. I'm tired after a 25 mile ride on my road bike. but that is usually because I start off slow 15 mph and some hot shot, comes along at 20 mph then looks back for my response. then we're at war for the next 10 miles. sprinting and and climbing/ sprinting. I feel my asthma already.
    When I opened this thread, I thought I was going to see a road bike with a Burley trailer holdin a mountain bike, or something halfway practical. Instead, I saw a bike that would be slow on the road being carried on a bike that would probably be even slower on the road than the bike being carried.

    It's not a crime, or impossible, you know, to ride a mountain bike on the road. In fact, it works suprisingly well.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  43. #43
    Professional Amateur
    Reputation: Henrythewound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    437
    This is weird, I was just thinking how I would go about hauling a mountain bike with a more road-friendly bike. I like the extracycle/bike trailer ideas, as long as you are enjoying yourself I say that's awesome. I ride my mountain bike on the roads for 20 miles round trip to ride ~2.5 miles of singletrack often enough to now start worrying about wearing down my knobby tires

  44. #44
    oh Lucky me
    Reputation: Exodus11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    705
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nagatahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,188
    why worry? You would have to replace road tires every 1000 to 2000 miles depending upon the tires. or you could not ride and save your tires.

  46. #46
    Professional Amateur
    Reputation: Henrythewound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk
    why worry? You would have to replace road tires every 1000 to 2000 miles depending upon the tires. or you could not ride and save your tires.
    IMO 29" mtb tires are expensive. I don't really want to wear them down too fast by riding on pavement. On the other hand, wWith my luck I'll baby them getting to the trailhead and then slice a sidewall right away.

  47. #47
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk
    That's funny! but also there is a lot of truth to it. Props to derek, 23 miles with a load on a another heavy bike! I guess youth has it's advantages. I'm tired after a 25 mile ride on my road bike. but that is usually because I start off slow 15 mph and some hot shot, comes along at 20 mph then looks back for my response. then we're at war for the next 10 miles. sprinting and and climbing/ sprinting. I feel my asthma already.

    I wish I was closer to my closest trail head. I used to be able to ride the 3 miles on the pavement then go off road. But I moved closer to work but further from the trail.
    Thats 23 miles one way

    I did pass 2 "road" bikes with my setup but didn't mention it in the first post because the naysayers here just wouldn't believe it and I knew I'd get flamed. I did anyway haha. I'm going to have my little camera video ready for the next ride.....

    The setup works extremely well and it's better than any solutions offered up thus far. To those who can't or don't want to believe it, I guess you'll just have to come to town and I'll ride with you. I'd love to prove it by showing instead of just saying and pics..

  48. #48
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    When I opened this thread, I thought I was going to see a road bike with a Burley trailer holdin a mountain bike, or something halfway practical. Instead, I saw a bike that would be slow on the road being carried on a bike that would probably be even slower on the road than the bike being carried.

    It's not a crime, or impossible, you know, to ride a mountain bike on the road. In fact, it works suprisingly well.
    If anyone really has questions and is interested in the answers instead of barging in and spouting uninformed and erroneous opinions, I'd love to answer them. Otherwise I'll just ignore you

  49. #49
    i call it a kaiser blade
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    744
    you are totally insane.

    and that is why i salute you

    cheers!

  50. #50
    wanna dance?
    Reputation: HotBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,073
    I love it man. You got an idea, and built it, and rode it, and you like it. That's more than most of your naysayers will ever be able to claim.

    Looks like some nice country you get to ride through.

    If you are not already (and I suspect you are), you will be one strong mofo.

  51. #51
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    My new shuttle rig.

    Cap forest is about 23 miles from my place. I loaded up the bike and hit the road. My apologies for the bad pics.

    The ride there was excellent. The first 20 miles is either bike lane or wide shoulder. The last 3 I have to share with cars, but people give a wide berth to those they think might have loose screws.

    Scenes along the way.








    A couple of reasons for the bike shuttle





    I arrived at Cap forest feeling really good. The trails were fairly dry and there was no place I felt really safe leaving my bike, so I just rode the whole thing up the trail until I found a place to stash it.

    Couple of NY Kryptonite locks to secure.



    Cap forest was as awesome as always. No pics though because there was riding to be done.

    Loaded up and headed back.




    Cap forest mud.




    The ride home was nice too- a little rougher since I now had a headwind the entire way, but riding bikes is good in any situation?


    Nice job, looked like you had some fun.

  52. #52
    wanna dance?
    Reputation: HotBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by jkkfam89
    Nice job, looked like you had some fun.
    Ah man. Quoting the entire post with all the pics in it over again tends to make threads a big jumble of repeated stuff... Hard to follow threads like that. Usually helps kill em in fact.

  53. #53
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    Derek2,

    I thought your post was inspirational. Congratulations for your reduced dependence on fossil fuels. I am ready to bring the xtracycle into my life, too. A question, what kind of kickstand are you using? That's not what comes with the xtracycle kit, is it? How's it working for you when loading and unloading?
    Sorry I missed this the first time. It's one designed by a guy named Val out of Seattle. It works really well, but is all machined by him I guess so it's fairly expensive. I hear he just came up with a new(and more expensive one) It runs about $300 I think

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    The setup works extremely well and it's better than any solutions offered up thus far.
    Proving once again, it doesn't matter how wrong someone is, they never like to hear that
    they're wrong.

    "60+ pound load? Less than 40 pound load?
    60+ pound load? Less than 40 pound load?
    60+ pound load? Less than 40 pound load?

    I'll go with the 60+ pound load. Design review be danmed! I've got 2 by 4s to use!
    There! Too late. Already built. Must be good. I can't hear you. Blah, blah, blah..."

    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    Ah man. Quoting the entire post with all the pics in it over again tends to make threads a big jumble of repeated stuff... Hard to follow threads like that. Usually helps kill em in fact.
    +1

    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  56. #56
    One What?
    Reputation: FastFix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    138
    I really can't believe how you guys are knocking him. The price of gas alone made the trip worth it. And what is wrong with using the 2x4's if you have them lying around? I can't see anything wrong with somebody creating/ building something and then using it to do what they want. It's a solution to a problem- not the only one, but it is one. I have a hard time justifying using gas to go ride my bike. That's not to mention taking the time away from my family. So if I could get all of my excercise/ need for adventure taken care of in 1 day w/o spending a fortune buying new equipment then yes- this is a viable solution. This industry was founded on forward thinking. I support anyone that can do that. Thanks for the post Derek2.

  57. #57
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    If anyone really has questions and is interested in the answers instead of barging in and spouting uninformed and erroneous opinions, I'd love to answer them. Otherwise I'll just ignore you
    Fair enough, we're all entitled to our opinions and shouldn't be suprised when we express them in a public forum and fine that everyone doesn't agree with us. Best of luck with your contraption.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFix
    This industry was founded on forward thinking. I support anyone that can do that. Thanks for the post Derek2.
    If forward thinking involves dismissing better solutions, you've got a valid point.
    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  59. #59
    organically fed
    Reputation: w00t!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,175
    Derek2, nice work! You rock!

    The naysayers must all have tiny weenies or something.

  60. #60
    Wheeeee!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    72
    Hell Yeah Derek! Awesome setup and pics. Keep on doin stuff like this! I'll be biking my hardtail to the trailhead today instead of driving!
    Last edited by NameTaken; 05-29-2008 at 07:39 AM.
    Jamis Dakota '06
    Jamis Sputnik '10

    We're all wrong.

    2 meters tall. 13.37 Stone. Yeah, I'm a freak of nature.

  61. #61
    organically fed
    Reputation: w00t!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,175
    Homeboy should change his name to "Retarded Patrick".

    Could an admin. please go ahead and make that change? It would be for the good of the forum.

  62. #62
    Wheeeee!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Proving once again, it doesn't matter how wrong someone is, they never like to hear that
    they're wrong.

    "60+ pound load? Less than 40 pound load?
    60+ pound load? Less than 40 pound load?
    60+ pound load? Less than 40 pound load?

    I'll go with the 60+ pound load. Design review be danmed! I've got 2 by 4s to use!
    There! Too late. Already built. Must be good. I can't hear you. Blah, blah, blah..."

    Chill out dude, you're missing the point. Yes, if you are racing, your design is better, he should buy a new wheelset, buy a new rack, buy panniers, buy new tires and tubes, buy buy buy.

    He can do whatever he wants, and he already has an xtracycle.

    Advantages:

    1. Makes cars stop and think; gets biking as a means of transportation out there.
    2. Harder to pedal, strengthens legs
    3. Looks funny/cool, makes the ride into an adventure.

    I think the most important part of it is the increased awareness of not using a car...riding a mtn. bike on the road doesn't put it out there like this does.
    Jamis Dakota '06
    Jamis Sputnik '10

    We're all wrong.

    2 meters tall. 13.37 Stone. Yeah, I'm a freak of nature.

  63. #63
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,596
    I like it.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    Homeboy should change his name to "Retarded Patrick".

    Could an admin. please go ahead and make that change? It would be for the good of the forum.
    This line of "reasoning" is fallacious because the attack is directed at the person making the
    claim and not the claim itself. The truth value of a claim is independent of the person making
    the claim.

    But "you go"!

    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  65. #65
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Proving once again, it doesn't matter how wrong someone is, they never like to hear that
    they're wrong.

    "60+ pound load? Less than 40 pound load?
    60+ pound load? Less than 40 pound load?
    60+ pound load? Less than 40 pound load?

    I'll go with the 60+ pound load. Design review be danmed! I've got 2 by 4s to use!
    There! Too late. Already built. Must be good. I can't hear you. Blah, blah, blah..."

    Your definition of better is more efficient, that's fine- this setup is not for you.
    .
    My definition of better involves quite a few more factors. Not the least of which has become that it really annoys(for what reason I don't quite understand) certain members of the biking community here

    The factors that for ME make it a better ride.

    1. I get a really good workout and don't feel like I'm losing wasting energy on bike bob.(this very well may just be in my head, but it's in there so it's a factor)

    2. It took me about 10 minutes to build and now only a few seconds to load and unload at the trail(no having to spend time messing around with wheel/tire changing)

    3. Everybody I meet wants to talk.

    4. EVERY car that passes looks and/or slows down to get a better look. Without exception(when I was looking) Most were grinning,giving thumbs up/horns/various positive hand signs, outright laughing, taking pictures and a few people even pulled up while I was taking pics at the gas station and showed genuine interest in the bike hauler. I like spreading around that kind of cheer.

    A few just looked completely shell shocked (I watched 1 guy turn around 3 times to drive by and investigate the insanity- that made me chuckle for miles) and maybe 3 or 4 people that looked at me with utter disdain. I imagine you would probably fit into that last category. I'm not sure why people are so quick to hate the fact that someone is doing something a little different(that isn't hurting anyone) and is having a blast doing it, but such is life.

    5. When I take all that weight off and ride, I feel like I'm superman on a bike.
    6. It feels a little more like "adventure"
    7. I can't think of any other reasons right now, but I like the number 7


    In closing, based on the factors that for ME make it a better ride, I am not wrong in my statement that it works extremely well and is better than any solutions offered up thus far.

    For the record - If I were ever to be wrong about anything, I would certainly admit it. Fortunately it hasn't happened yet

  66. #66
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by NameTaken
    Chill out dude, you're missing the point. Yes, if you are racing, your design is better, he should buy a new wheelset, buy a new rack, buy panniers, buy new tires and tubes, buy buy buy.

    He can do whatever he wants, and he already has an xtracycle.

    Advantages:

    1. Makes cars stop and think; gets biking as a means of transportation out there.
    2. Harder to pedal, strengthens legs
    3. Looks funny/cool, makes the ride into an adventure.

    I think the most important part of it is the increased awareness of not using a car...riding a mtn. bike on the road doesn't put it out there like this does.
    and cheers to everyone else who isn't offended by my ride and pics

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    For the record - If I were ever to be wrong about anything, I would certainly admit it. Fortunately it hasn't happened yet
    OK - I suppose that makes it official. Let the record show that derrek2 has never been
    wrong.

    Actually, I'd bet that's not really what you meant. So, maybe that statement was wrong?

    Oh no! Now what do we do with "the record"?
    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  68. #68
    Professional Amateur
    Reputation: Henrythewound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    437
    Apparently Evil Patrick's opinion is the only one that counts, we should all yield

  69. #69
    bust a move
    Reputation: 2ridealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,978
    Rock On Derek

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrythewound
    Apparently Evil Patrick's opinion is the only one that counts, we should all yield

    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    442
    Ok, I have a question. I've been pondering this exact same problem. I ride to work on a Novara Randonee with panniers. It's a 40 mile roundtrip. Some days I don't ride to work because I want to go and meet friends to ride the trails. This leaves me in a dilema. Do I drive to work with my MTB in the car, or do I ride to work and not hit the trails? I don't want to pull my modified burly trailer the 20 very hilly miles to work with my bike in it. There has to be a more effecient way. Any of ya'll got any ideas? I'd rather not strap it to my back either.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seosamh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by derek2

    4. EVERY car that passes looks and/or slows down to get a better look. Without exception(when I was looking) Most were grinning,giving thumbs up/horns/various positive hand signs, outright laughing, taking pictures and a few people even pulled up while I was taking pics at the gas station and showed genuine interest in the bike hauler. I like spreading around that kind of cheer.
    i like it for this very reason, you're still mental tho!

  73. #73
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,576
    WOW, I'm stunned! First by your creativity second by your spirit. You are what biking needs to be!

    "An engineer can do for a dollar what any damn fool can do for two and a physicist can do for ten."

    You, Sir, are an engineer, as for EP, why he's something else, that's for sure!

  74. #74
    take a picture
    Reputation: derek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    WOW, I'm stunned! First by your creativity second by your spirit. You are what biking needs to be!

    "An engineer can do for a dollar what any damn fool can do for two and a physicist can do for ten."

    You, Sir, are an engineer, as for EP, why he's something else, that's for sure!
    haha thanks! - but xtracycle gets the credit for engineering- I just nailed a couple of boards together

  75. #75
    organically fed
    Reputation: w00t!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,175
    If I had that set-up, I'd score one of those roof racks that holds the bike upright, with the front wheel on, and mount that to one of those 2x4s, thus eliminating the other 2x4.
    like this:

  76. #76
    Dinner for wolves
    Reputation: buddhak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,566

    Good God, $300 for a kickstand?

    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    Sorry I missed this the first time. It's one designed by a guy named Val out of Seattle. It works really well, but is all machined by him I guess so it's fairly expensive. I hear he just came up with a new(and more expensive one) It runs about $300 I think
    Count me out...now I know why you made your own bike tray

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.