Road racing- does anyone else not get it?- Mtbr.com

May 2004

Road racing- does anyone else not get it?

Im not talking about stuff like the TdF- those guys are in a whole different league. But it seems to me that in your typical local road race (which usually ends up being a crit), you get 45 minutes of riding around in circles, and stuff only happens in the last lap or so when people are trying to sprint to the line. Its like an hour of foreplay and 30 seconds of action. I just dont get it. Like you just gotta keep with the pack and suck wheel (which, admittedly, does take a certain level of skill and fitness), and you can hang in there indefinitely. Contrast to most mtn bike racing, where there's no drafting and its you vs both the terrain and the other riders the entire time. I dunno, is anyone else as perplexed by this as I am? I would have posted this on RBR but they might have took it the wrong way. Feel free to put me in my place if Im being a dolt

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What I don't get is the coverage that road racing gets but no comments on the mountain bike racing. This weekend we had the Tour De Nez in Reno. Of course there was quite a bit of road racing, got a decent amount of coverage in the local news. This translates to a brief comment during the sports cast on the evening news and a small article in the paper. However, there where a couple mtb races that got absolutly zero coverage. As a spectator sport I find mtb racing to be more fun to watch. As someone competing in the race, well I wouldn't know as I've never raced road or mountain bikes :P I do find road riding boring compared to trail riding though.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OokieCookie
    Im not talking about stuff like the TdF- those guys are in a whole different league. But it seems to me that in your typical local road race (which usually ends up being a crit), you get 45 minutes of riding around in circles, and stuff only happens in the last lap or so when people are trying to sprint to the line. Its like an hour of foreplay and 30 seconds of action. I just dont get it. Like you just gotta keep with the pack and suck wheel (which, admittedly, does take a certain level of skill and fitness), and you can hang in there indefinitely. Contrast to most mtn bike racing, where there's no drafting and its you vs both the terrain and the other riders the entire time. I dunno, is anyone else as perplexed by this as I am? I would have posted this on RBR but they might have took it the wrong way. Feel free to put me in my place if Im being a dolt
    Well, you should try it. Yes it is relatively easy to sit in and wait for the sprint, but if you can't sprint is that smart? And then there are courses that aren't going to end in bunch sprints. Road racing is about having the legs and the head and/or teamwork to employ tactics, especially as you move up from the novice categories. Mountain bike racing is about having the legs, and technique to maximize what the legs can do. I enjoy both road and mountain bike racing, but I prefer cyclocross the most because it combines some of the tactics of road racing with some of the technical and time trial-like aspects of mountain biking. They are all hard in different ways, mountain biking is hard because it's a continuous time trial like effort, then again, there is no suffering like trying to hold the wheels when you're about to get dropped up a climb in a road race.

Jan 2004
    Do some research. You'll find out it's more a rolling chess match than just drafting. Then again by your description you don't get auto racing either. For me it's not that I don't get it. It's I have other stuff I'd rather do....like watch the Tour de France.

A wheelist

What's the question? If you haven't been there you can't undertsand. Even if you have been there you might not like it. So what? move on.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fredł
    Do some research. You'll find out it's more a rolling chess match than just drafting. Then again by your description you don't get auto racing either. For me it's not that I don't get it. It's I have other stuff I'd rather do....like watch the Tour de France.

I just started really watching road racing this year (just got OLN) and I have to say that it's facinating. I never realized how much stratgey and teamwork is involved. It truly is chess on wheels. I always thought it was boring, but if you watch the whole race and really pay attention it can keep you on the edge of your seat.

i worship Mr T
    i agree with Mike T & Dwane Barry. try it before you say you don't get it. there's a whole lot going on that you can't see from the outside. even in the local races. once you've tried it you may find that you don't like it but that's different from looking at it from the outside and not getting it.

mtb racing & road racing are certainly very different animals but each offers something the other doesn't.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In my first road race I stopped paying attention for about 10 seconds and got dropped. It had nothing to do with my fitness; as there were people who stayed in the group that I know from cyclocross and mountain biking, and I'm generally faster than they are. I just had no idea how hard it can be to "suck wheel" in a crit. And Cat 4/5 races add an entirely different set of problems. In my second race, a guy in front of me swerved to avoid an imaginary problem and removed 6 spokes in my front wheel. That soured me to the endeavor for a bit, but I've done a few more races and do enjoy them. I understand better where to be to avoid crashes and squirrels, and I've grown comfortable having people bump off me at 30 mph. I like road races more than crits, but they are both fun. But I'd never chose road over mt. biking.

jrm
    mtbr member

Theres drafting in MTB racing...

But in most cases MTB racing is individual. You will make packs with and draft other riders in order to get to the front or hang with the lead pack. Crits dont seem to appealing to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I tried Crit racing years ago when I was a teenager. Those guys are freeking nuts and there is no way I would do it again. Its much safer to go hurling down a mountain with pads on a downhill bike.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by space
    What I don't get is the coverage that road racing gets but no comments on the mountain bike racing. This weekend we had the Tour De Nez in Reno. Of course there was quite a bit of road racing, got a decent amount of coverage in the local news. This translates to a brief comment during the sports cast on the evening news and a small article in the paper. However, there where a couple mtb races that got absolutly zero coverage. As a spectator sport I find mtb racing to be more fun to watch. As someone competing in the race, well I wouldn't know as I've never raced road or mountain bikes :P I do find road riding boring compared to trail riding though.
    Road racing is *much* easier to cover than mountain bike racing, I fear. After all, it's on the *road*, where cars with cameramen can easily travel. Plus, road races tend to have packs of racers sticking together, riding smoothly so you can identify them. Trail races, everyone gets spread out, and vast amounts of the race are in areas a cameraman can't get to. It's not nearly as exciting to see one guy cruise by alone as it is to see thirty or forty people cruise by in a pack.

Plus, especially with crits, the laps are way shorter than trail races, meaning the racers pass by any given spot - including spots with cameras - more often and more quickly.

Mountain bike racing, by its nature, just isn't really geared for news coverage. The only real exception is the short-track races, which is basically a dirt crit. Oh, and downhill races, which are short distances and usually in more open areas (i.e. where you can cover larger portions of the course with one camera) than trail races which tend to tear off into forests/etc., where you can't really set up a camera to cover a significant portion of the course from one spot.

Now... on the road racing bit itself... it IS much more involved than it looks. I used to do some training road races in Portland OR when I was up there a few years ago. You really do need to be alert. Mind you, these weren't team type races - everyone was on their own (at least in the lowest cat group I was in), but there was still all sorts of strategy going on, and you really DID need to stay with the pack else you were screwed. I used to get dropped early on, and over time I was able to stay on longer... but one time I wasn't paying attention (like the other poster) and got dropped a bit... and I worked HARD, so hard and managed to get back on the tail end of the pack. It was crazy!

Probably drunk right now

Here's what I know....

I know I don't have big enough balls to be involved in any sort of road criterium.

I don't ride road bikes but I have a huge appreciation for those who do and especially for those who race. The team and individual tactics are fascinating, to me. The skill required to ride in a peloton is amazing. I fully admitt that I don't have those kind of bike handling skills.

So to answer your question: Yes, I get road racing. I like to watch it. I don't have the bike handling skills or the fitness to even consider competing. and I simply prefer mountain biking because it allows me to almost become part of nature, vs. observing it from a road.

My 2˘.

Ken

May 2004

Racing is racing.

No one has mentioned the race of truth, the time trial. But all racing is good. Road and mountain are very different, but road racing will help with mountain bike racing by increasing speed and endurance, and mountain bike racing makes for a more technically competent rider.

But yea, I too wish for more mountain bike coverage as OLN has become the Outragous Lance Network. I like watching the 'Tour Day France' (Bob Roll) but do they have to give us all that pre- coverage telling us whats going to happen. Then the post- coverage happens where they tell us what just happened. I guess they just don't really have anything to cover on OLN except Lance and the Tour, how much fishing and hunting can they show. They must think we mountain bikers just stopped existing when Lance won the Tour. Perhaps we should all e-mail OLN and ask for more mountain bike coverage, XC to be precise.

Steve

Probably drunk right now

Here's the challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
    No one has mentioned the race of truth, the time trial. But all racing is good. Road and mountain are very different, but road racing will help with mountain bike racing by increasing speed and endurance, and mountain bike racing makes for a more technically competent rider.

But yea, I too wish for more mountain bike coverage as OLN has become the Outragous Lance Network. I like watching the 'Tour Day France' (Bob Roll) but do they have to give us all that pre- coverage telling us whats going to happen. Then the post- coverage happens where they tell us what just happened. I guess they just don't really have anything to cover on OLN except Lance and the Tour, how much fishing and hunting can they show. They must think we mountain bikers just stopped existing when Lance won the Tour. Perhaps we should all e-mail OLN and ask for more mountain bike coverage, XC to be precise.

Steve
    Mountain biking isn't television friendly. It's hard to provide continuious coverage because the race courses are generally through woods on singletrack. It's hard to set up camera's and it's impossible to follow a specific rider or group of riders while they're on course because the coverage would interfere with the other riders.

It's possible to cover it, but it's expensive and difficult to cover it well.

Ken

mtbr member

Origin of the Crit.....

Back in the day, bicycle racing in it's purest form was road racing or track racing. The problem with the road races was that the citizens could only see a small part of it. So, they moved to the criterium through cities that would enable people to see lap after lap of their heroes. Road racing still ruled, but the crit gave something to the masses. Racing on the road in the US is difficult due to the traffic and peoples attitudes toward cycling. Hence the type 'A' s battling around the Industrial Park for a sprint finish.

Mar 2004
    you get 45 minutes of riding around in circles, and stuff only happens in the last lap or so when people are trying to sprint to the line. Its like an hour of foreplay and 30 seconds of action. I just dont get it.
    If you really want to get it, Get out there w/ a road bike and race. See how much time you spend pulling the group and sprinting to the finish line

Ride what you want!!
    Crits are scary. I've seen huge pile ups with many broken bikes and people being hauled off in an ambulance. It's also quite a rush to be in a tight pack of 40-50 riders riding in the high 20's, low 30's going around corners in a group. Imagine leaning on a road bike and rubbing someone else's shoulder as you do so. Now throw some bot dots in there to make it more fun. It's a lot more than just sitting in and waiting for the sprint. Hell, in the early bird practice crits this year, I averaged 26.4 mph for 40 min in the 4/5's.

Crits are also a lot cheaper to race than mtbing. Around 20 bucks and often just an extra 10 bucks for a second crit on the same day. Usually, there are a few primes during the crit, so you don't even have to win the race to win your money back. But the primes keep the pace high.

If you can't sprint, you're not going to win by just sitting in. You're going to have to try to make a break for it. The pack will even let you sit out there for a couple laps and then just swarm you after you're good and exhausted and spit you out the ass end.

As a spectator, there is a lot more action in watching a crit than a mtb race. I don't think I've seen anyone attack, or get caught or make ANY kind of discernible 'move' on an mtb race I've attended. I've seen people in crits go for it, and get caught, take someone at the line, get swallowed up, etc etc.

Then again, I don't understand hockey or nascar. If I watch them, I don't have a friken idea of what's going on besides the basics.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Complete Bastard
    I like watching the 'Tour Day France' (Bob Roll)
    I thought I was the only one that got bothered by that. I fully expect him to call it the Tour Day Francey. Have you noticed his strange hand movements? The guy is one of racing's most knowledgable commentators but ... geeeeeesh!! Cmon bob!

It's that damn tour day francey! It's in the garden again, get me the shotgun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It takes all kinds

I started mtbing a few years ago because it looked like the kind of thing I would enjoy and I had some extra money. I totally got the mtb obsession. I took up road biking to improve my fitness. A few of us started a small team last year to train together for primarily mtb races. We also did a few road races. I enjoyed the road races much more than the mtb races. I found that I have more of a free-ride mentality when it comes to mtbing. We put together a more diverse group of riders for the team this year. We had enough strong riders that we were able to use team strategies for the road races. This only works out if you have mature people that are willing to sacrifice for the good of the team. Using team strategies successfully made road racing a lot more exciting than mtb racing. We always have a lot to celebrate and talk about as a team after a road race.

I think watching x-country mtb racing on TV is boring. Watching the road racing isn't that much better. In road racing, you do get to see a lot more action. If producers wanted to make road racing really exciting to watch, they would wire up some of the teams so we could hear the radio and peleton chatter.

But, what do I know, I am just the janitor sweeping up the back.

May 2004

Unfortunately you spoke the truth

I'm just wishing, I know it won't happen cause of money, sponorship, etc... Even the mountain bike events that are fan/camera friendly and easy to air don't get much/any air time.

Its a conspiracy of the USCF (Uranus Socialist Communist Federation) aided by NORBA (No Off Road Bikes Association) to keep mountain bike racing in the dark.

Lancie wins the Tour Day Francie(y)-Bob Roll, we love ya Bob.

Steve

The above post was mostly a joke, so don't get too upset over my comments. Toodles.

Ride Instigator

Different Strokes for different folks....

Sombody must get it and it's pretty popular so there must be something good about it.

I don't "get"...golf, fishing, hunting etc. either but I do ride a road bike so I can sorta' get it.

...Whatever puts that smile on your face is what I say .

life is a barrel o'fun
    Why would mtb be so expensive to cover? Can't they put remote cameras out on the trail?

We've got a trail out here that's a short loop, but rather technical. I dream about having cameras mounted at each section, and having a commentator follow riders along, even if it's one rider at at time. It would be SUCH a blast to watch experts clear the different obstacles at high speed. They could even mount cameras at lower angles for added excitement, to see the bug's-eye view of that log pile, say.

Ride what you want!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    would be SUCH a blast to watch experts clear the different obstacles at high speed. They could even mount cameras at lower angles for added excitement, to see the bug's-eye view of that log pile, say.
    You'd think it'd be interesting to watch, but for one, trails are never looks as steep on TV as they do in real life. Also, once you've seen 10-12 riders clear the section, it's not much fun watching them do it over and over again. Personally, I even get bored watch someone huck of some cliff over and over again. The first couple times.. kind of cool.... over and over again..... feh.

george

Feb 2004

Racing Shmacing - Check out Drop In

Steve
    One of the coolest "new" bicycling shows I've seen in a while is Drop In out of Canada. Rather than hopped-up freaks of nature hammering hills and cutting each other off (racing) it's about a bunch of Canadians on mountain bikes, riding throughout Canada. Check out the episodes at www.dropin.pinkbike.com or on pinkbike.com. It's a lot more relevant to most mountain bikers.

-Don't get me wrong, nothing beats the TDF and I will be glued to my TV through July, each day watching the tour. However, it would be sweet to see Drop In on OLN.

Probably drunk right now

In addition....

Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    You'd think it'd be interesting to watch, but for one, trails are never looks as steep on TV as they do in real life. Also, once you've seen 10-12 riders clear the section, it's not much fun watching them do it over and over again. Personally, I even get bored watch someone huck of some cliff over and over again. The first couple times.. kind of cool.... over and over again..... feh.

george
    In addition to the cameras flattening out the trails as George mentioned, the production and editing costs for setting up a system like you described would be very expensive.

First, there wouldn't be any sort of continous pan, so the coverage would be extremely choppy. Here's an alogy that gives people the basic idea: Imagine watching the TV with your SO when South Park, The Simpsons and Bevis and Butthead are on. Now imagine your SO has a remote that allows you to toggle between all three shows.

Trying to follow a linear race with still cameras is difficult. The number of camera stations you would have to set up over a 21 mile twisting course to get any decent coverage would be tough. Since the stations would also be in the woods, a lighting set up would most likely have to be set up. Then a mobile studio would have to be set up to handle the transition between stations and then you get in to the TV watching anaolgy to switch back and forth between them.

Golf is one example of where they do exactly what you're suggesting. The difference is that they have 36 well lit stations set up with a couple of mobile units thrown in. The lighting tends to be better because the event is out in the open. The production crew has a very specific schedule of who will be where at what time. The "action" is slow, especially compared to mountain biking so the coverage is a little easier to announce. And... the big kicker.... there's a ton of money in golf coverage, so they can afford to set up like this despite the costs.

Notice: I'm not involved with any sort of media production however, I've been involved in providing content for a business DVD. I fully admit that I may be wrong here. I'm providing a very uneducated opinion on what I think is true based on pretty limited experience.

Ken

Big ring = No chainsuck
    Those of you who race road and Mtn, which is harder?
    I'm not really intrested in crit racing.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes...
    That way, when you criticize him you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Ride what you want!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nc-rider
    Well, is there a mtb race harder than the TdF? If not, then road racing is harder. Any indivdual road or mtb race can be harder than the other. It's kind of a nothing question.

george

Jed Peters
    According to my wife who races Expert MTB and Cat 3 road, a hilly road race is the most tortuous thing known to many, except for the dreaded "uphill time trial" in road cycling.

Jan 2004
    It's not an apples to apples comparison. Mountain biking for the most part requires a fairly sustained hard effort over a long period of time. And it definitely beats you up compared to road racing. I find a mountain bike race takes more recovery time. BUT...

In road racing a lot more depends on the course (more hills and corners will make it exponentially harder, esp. hills), and then you have the fact that you must keep up or else! This really requires you to ride balls out hard some times, much more so then you are typically required to do in a mountain bike race. You could do a flat road race or crit and just sit-in the whole tiime, and it would be nothing more than up-tempo work out. But if you try attacking, or you have team responsibilities you could end up working very hard even on an easy course. And then there are the hilly races. And the suffering of trying to hang on, especially on long steep climbs, is really never equalled in mountain bike racing b/c you typically ride your on pace in a mountain bike race rather than having it dictated to to you by guys who are probably stronger!

Jan 2004

Depends

Most MTB races are very hard but only last around 2hours. The majority of road races I have done are easier then mtb races although longer. However the hardest races I have ever done have been on the road. I did a crit last year and got into a break of 4 which stayed away for the last 30min of the race busting our butts to stay less then a minute ahead of a cat 3 pack. I had no idea I could push myself that hard (kind of like a short track only longer). For me the hilly road races are not that hard they are more like a mtb race. The hardest races for me are flat or rolling courses in the wind. There is nothing like a 3-4 hour road race when the pack is streteched out and you just suffer in the gutter all day trying to find a place to hide from the cross winds. Cross winds are like racing in mud. They make the day so much longer and wear on you mentally.

As far as TV coverage, OLN did a great job at the Mercury Tour years ago. They had Rishi out on bike with a helmet cam following riders on the downhill single track and a moto following with a camera at spots as well. I even remember seeing Armstrong endo from a helicopter shot. So it can be done but the audience is just not there.

MTB racing is all about who has the best legs and skill that day. Road racing is more about who was in the right place and made the right decisions as well as had the legs to back it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    The skill required to ride in a peloton is amazing. I fully admitt that I don't have those kind of bike handling skills.

you would be surprised how quickly you develop those skills, although it's tougher in america because 95% of the riders are total spodes that can barely steer which enhances the danger considerably.

i race in germany for 6 years, and the skill of the average rider was significantly greater. multi-rider crashes were pretty rare, and when they happened, it was usually only 2 guys. most of the germans race as juniors and spend a lot of time riding in group situations. i only did a couple road races when i moved back to the states and roadies here are so lame i went straight to mtb racing and stayed there until i discovered motors 10 years later.

crits in germany are contested like points race. every 5 laps there is a sprint for points, with the halfway and final sprints counting double. so if you win the final sprint, you'll probably be in the money, but you can easily win the race without even being in the final sprint. i think that makes for more exciting racing (more sprinting, higher pace) and safer racing, since you can back out of a sketchy situation and make up the points later.

oh, almost forgot to mention, the euro events (tdf, spring classics, giro, etc....) are pretty exciting, but i find road racing in the US to be pretty boring and lame.
    mw
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Jan 2004

Rbr

I would have posted this on RBR but they might have took it the wrong way.
    RBR is a joke, as are all of the roadie newsgroups. I say let them stay on their road bikes because it keeps the wannabes off of the trail.

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    RBR is a joke, as are all of the roadie newsgroups. I say let them stay on their road bikes because it keeps the wannabes off of the trail.
    Curious, but what's funny about it? (Presuming by "joke" you meant funny.)

On another note, email me re: Canmore Gathering if you can, I don't have your email, jerry.

mtbr member
    Spoken like a true clueless idiot (and I mean that in the kindest way).

banned
    Apr 2004

The fastest mountain bike racers

are usually putting in a lot of road miles. Not that I'm fast but I am way less slow (on the MTB bike) since I started riding a road bike.