Riding in Peru- Mtbr.com

Thread: Riding in Peru

mtbr member

Riding in Peru

Has anyone ever ridden in Peru? I'm going to be there in a few weeks and I plan on taking my bike. I know they have one of the longest downhill decents in the world...

tks,
    AL

Cleavage Of The Tetons

Hey, Al, PM me...

Iv'e got a pretty good perspective on whatsup down there.
    I can help with any and all q's (I hope!) on the riding scene there.
    I hope i can be of help...
    here is my website, ( www.pocolocotours.com ) but I have much more that I can share.
    Where are you going to be?

mtbr member
    I was in Cuzco a couple of years ago and went riding there - they have gorgeous trails: great scenery, and very challenging stuff (in particular on my crappy rental, with a front brake that fell off on some hairy section). Just visit one of the dozens of tour operator booths in Cuzco and with a bit of luck you can hire a guide who can show you the best trails, sometimes even including a support vehicle to shuttle you around (all for a sum of money that gets you a rental bike for the day in Moab).
    See attached pics (featuring ao our fearless guide Luis)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Peru and Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Iv'e got a pretty good perspective on whatsup down there.
    I can help with any and all q's (I hope!) on the riding scene there.
    I hope i can be of help...
    here is my website, ( www.pocolocotours.com ) but I have much more that I can share.
    Where are you going to be?
    Actually, I'll be in Peru and Argentina Nov timeframe. I'll be in Lima in Peru and Buenos Aires in Argentina. I only have about 3-4 days off in each place, so I'm looking to get the best trip and riding in possible. I've traveled with my bike before so I might bring it. Not sure about the weather or where to go however. Your link above didn't seem to work...

Any advice would be appreciated.
    AL

Cleavage Of The Tetons

I can get you some riding buddies in Lima...

There is great riding there, definitely bring your bike.
    Google Pachacamac, El Prado downhill, Santo Domingo De Los Olleros, Huamantanga..
    If you read spanish, go to cyclismo_Peru on yahoo forums, if you post that you want to do a ride, (even in english), I would bet you can find some riders to help you out.
    Feel free to PM, What is your riding skill level, if you don't mind my asking?

Oct 2005
    We were going to go there specifically to ride. We were reluctantly going to do an MTB package tour and then the guy never got back to us...a sign? Waddya think? Necessary? Or can we just hook up w/ some reliable locals and or a guide and stay in hotels along the way?

Also..........for simplicity, we were thinking SSing...too hardcore?

Thanks! I will visit the cyclismo yahoo site!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    There is great riding there, definitely bring your bike.
    Google Pachacamac, El Prado downhill, Santo Domingo De Los Olleros, Huamantanga..
    If you read spanish, go to cyclismo_Peru on yahoo forums, if you post that you want to do a ride, (even in english), I would bet you can find some riders to help you out.
    Feel free to PM, What is your riding skill level, if you don't mind my asking?

mp3

Apr 2004

Argentina as well

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Canuck
    Actually, I'll be in Peru and Argentina Nov timeframe. I'll be in Lima in Peru and Buenos Aires in Argentina. I only have about 3-4 days off in each place, so I'm looking to get the best trip and riding in possible. I've traveled with my bike before so I might bring it. Not sure about the weather or where to go however. Your link above didn't seem to work...

Any advice would be appreciated.
    AL
    I'll also be in Argentina later this year, December, --Buenos Aries and around Mendoza. I'd be interested if you find out about local races or other MTB events.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

www.perubike.com is the place...

to get your information. It is the most organized operation in Peru. Look at their website and you will get a variety of options.

Contact them and you will get more information.

I rode my bike on trails south of Lima earlier this year and also in Arequipa. If you private message or email me, I would be happy to exchange phone numbers. I am in Colorado.

Cleavage Of The Tetons

If you don't mind my asking...

Quote Originally Posted by Doña Gringis
    We were going to go there specifically to ride. We were reluctantly going to do an MTB package tour and then the guy never got back to us...a sign? Waddya think? Necessary? Or can we just hook up w/ some reliable locals and or a guide and stay in hotels along the way?

Also..........for simplicity, we were thinking SSing...too hardcore?

Thanks! I will visit the cyclismo yahoo site!
    Do you remember who you were talking with?
    SS's would be an interesting take on a lot of the riding, for sure. Most of what I do (not all, of course!) is 10-12,000 foot cross country downhills, so the SS would not be the tool for the job, as it were. If you are a glutton for climbing punishment, I know of a few 11,000 foot climbs, with 15% average grades...(over 70 Km's) if you are into that sort of thing.
    I would love to do support for that!
    Pachacamac has a few good trails that would be SS friendly (in an animal way), but for the most part, gears are a better tool for the job, IMO. Most of the riding is monster up, burly down...but not all.
    I hope that helps!
    Last edited by rideit; 10-19-2005 at 11:39 PM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Last edited by rideit; 10-20-2005 at 04:48 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0